Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Fear Min/Maxotaur, lady of optimal stat growth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Have they ever really been a good idea?

No.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Archery isn't so bad in team battles. I believe it was two team tournaments ago that had my team with myself as an archer made it to the finals. Probably would've won that one too if I had upgraded from silver arrows at some point.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Astus posted:

I have actually won fights both with a Minotaur crossbowman and a Minotaur armed only with 30 crossbow bolts. This is not a game you should min-max your dude, because there's a pretty good chance a single random roll lets the gimmick build slaughter him.

Min/maxotaur finds your statement offensive and declares war on all gimmick characters!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
If I were a champion, I'd want socks. Awfully chaffing in those boots.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

GreyPowerVan posted:

I hope our team doesn't suck, but i have a feeling...

I'd like to apologize in advance to my team. I had a dream, and that was to make an extremely bad pun name and base my entire build around that, emphasis on the extremely bad.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
If it still works as it used to, skill gain is actually vastly increased in arena mode.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Truly brilliant work to pretend to be asleep and useless for most of the match. Really lured them into a false sense of security.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Lost to a bowbold
I am forever ashamed
Fated seppuku

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I like C as well.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
My poor minotaur, can't handle a simple handstabbing without passing out all over the place.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I got a kill? I mean- yeah, of course I got a kill! Look ma, no hands!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
It's a Thanksgiving Miracle!

:siren: Round 4, Fight 8 :siren:

Team Laser Explosion is on the left side of the arena.
Anthony (dasmause) is a male tigerman. He is empty handed and wears an iron helm, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, iron gauntlets, and iron low boots.
Mogwai (Dark Off) is a female gremlin. She wields an iron buckler and an iron buckler and wears no armor.
Molegrim (Maugrim) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper spear and wears a bronze helm and leather gauntlets.
Turquoise Tonic (Hihohe) is a male human. He wields a silver mace and wears a copper cap, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.

The Petting Zoo is on the right side of the arena.
Antwoman (Spermy Smurf) is a female soldier ant woman. She wields an iron large dagger, a copper large dagger, a copper large dagger, and a bronze large dagger and wears a copper mail shirt and copper greaves.
A Lost Cowman (Locomotive breath) is a male minotaur. He is empty handed and wears a silver helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, copper greaves, silver gauntlets, and copper low boots.
Simon Belmole (Ablative) is a male molemarian. He wields a copper scourge and wears a copper cap, a copper mail shirt, leather gauntlets, and copper high boots.
Stephen Harper (ChickenWing) is a male serpent man. He wields a silver war hammer and a wooden shield and wears leather gauntlets and leather high boots.

Team Laser Explosion is a 1.14 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 2411.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 2111.00 dwarfbucks for The Petting Zoo.

Charge!

Lost Cowman makes a grab at Molegrim, but is quickly denied as Molegrim stabs tells him that he’s not that kind of mole and stabs him in foot and down goes Lost Cowman. Mogwai climbs on top of Lost Cowman and thwomps him in the other foot with her buckler for good measure.

As the other combatants join the fray, Anthony scratched Antwoman in the 2nd right arm and Antwoman drops a dagger in surprise. Molegrim practices his acupuncture technique on Lost Cowman’s neck and Lost Cowman is out like a light. First dismemberment of the round goes to Stephen Harper for scratching off Molegrim’s right middle finger.

Antwoman loses another dagger as Anthony continues pulverizing her. Simon puts his scourge to use rips up Molegrim’s right hand, too bad mole don’t feel pain. Mogwai and Molegrim are racing to see who can crack open Lost Cowman’s head first. Antwoman gives in to pain as Anthony continues punching her many arms.
There are now only 2 able fighters on Petting Zoo while Laser Explosion is mostly in one piece, minus a finger.

Antwoman is the first one to become worm food when Anthony punches her in the head so hard it explode like a cheap B movie effect! Anthony is unphased from the ant ichors that showers him.
Tonic and Stephen Harper haven’t been slacking, they’ve just been slapping at each other’s hands. Anthony wastes no time and quickly jumps on top of Lost Cowman. Simon makes a swipe at him, but Anthony just throws Simon by his remaining middle finger. I guess like most cats, Anthony likes hunting birds.

Molegrim finally drills through Lost Cowman’s thick skull.
Things are looking grim for Petting Zoo , as both their previously unconscious teammate’s have been downgraded to dead meat while Laser Explosion isn’t even sweating.

Simon skids to a stop several paces northwest of where he started.
Molegrim is the tiebreaker between Stephen Harper and Tonic’s ineffectual slap fight. A stab to the hand and Stephen Harper loses his buckler. Anthony thinks that this looks like fun walks over only to get his paw smashed. hobbled for life, Anthony falls to the ground. Too little, too late though, as Stephen Harper gives in to his wounds.

Tonic may not be so great at hitting things that are awake, but he can murder napping snakemen like a pro. Another one of team Petting Zoos heads go pop.
Mogwai finally shakes off the stars from Simon’s charge earlier and begins the arduous task to get her revengence via shield smacking.

Mogwai and Tonic attempt to tenderize Simon with their blunt weapons. This goes about as well as could be expected on a mole. Anthony is content to nurse his broken paw away from combat.
Tonic jumps into the lead for most removed body parts of the match as he performs homebrew dentistry on Simon. Simon has had enough of this and flies into a berserk rage!

Unfortuneately, Simon’s accuracy goes to poo poo when he is mad. He whiffs several attacks as team Laser Explosion continue to dismantle Simon, this time they take his right hand and left thumb.

The brutalization of Simon continues until Molegrim finally strikes true and scrambles Simon’s brain matter.
That puts a bow on it.
Winners: Laser Explosion with a 4-0 show of force!

Kills:
Anthony: 1
Molegrim:2
Tonic:1

Combat Log!

Anchors fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 27, 2015

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Full disclosure, had to start that fight again after I managed to dump some magma in the middle of the brawl. Oops.

Edit: \/\/\/ Thanks, fixed.

Anchors fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 26, 2015

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I apologize in advance to Jon Joe for costing him 2k dwarf bucks in advance.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
My cursed love of highly granular stat systems with obtuse or nigh-meaningless mechanics attached to them will be my downfall.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'd be upset if he didn't get some sort of compensation.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Contemplating a second wooden buckler.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I have faith that one of these rounds my team will win and I'll be rich and smart and everyone will like me.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
All according to plan. We have just been lulling you guys into a false sense of security. Enjoy your merciless slaughter from here one out. ;)

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Tecnically, exponentially would be 0^0, which isn't super well defined but in most cases it is treated as equal to one.

:shittypop::science:

Edit: Beaten, curse you ZeeToo!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Indeed, soon our fighters will be able to punch through to the 'other side' and drag their poor, dead enemies soul back for another shot.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Ok, Min/max, I think we've lulled them into a sense of safety enough now.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I vote anyone who makes it though the whole tournament unblooded be rewarded with an adamantium hammer prize to demonstrate their devotion to harmlessness.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

jon joe posted:

Brutal. Beautiful.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I was hesitant to spend any points this round given that Min/Maxotaur is already the pinnacle of perfection and is the only arena participant to graduate with all the PhDs, but I decided to splurge and get her something pretty to wear.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
At last, our long, long con is paying off. You all thought we were awful, but now who's laughing?:smug:

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I've bet my entire life savings on my team to continue their glorious winning streak and beat Worse Monki into the dirt. Don't disappoint me, Min/Maxotaur.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Whelp, I'm poor again.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Honestly, I'm a little jealous that my team can't be a little shittier so we could be the best at being worst like Lightly Whipped.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Who was the fighter that got castrated in this tournament? That's a guy that knows about menaced genitals.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I vote B as well.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
We're going all the way to the top, boys!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I'm so proud.

This round has been pleasantly surprising.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007

Coward posted:

Hmmm. Function of the archer's skill or matchup against opponents that no one shield blocked or dodged the arrows?

Nice work, though, Krysm. I'm not quite sure what's going to be all-round better than steel aside from the shining blue that I don't think I have any chance of being able to purchase.

From what I recall from bow and crossbow testing some several tournaments ago, arrows actually benefit somewhat from being heavier. In another team tournament, I had an ant archer make it all the way to the championship match with a silver bow that fairly consistently pierced steel. With that in mind, I'd probably just go with steel and skills.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I really would've been more surprised if we had won. Our team was never really designed with fighting in mind.

For reference:

Min/Maxotaur, a female Minotaur fighter.

This fighter is participating in the 1054 Armok Arena League tournament as a member of A furry, a farmer, and two cows.

She has the following equipment.
Copper Large Dagger
Oak Wood Buckler
Copper Helm
Copper Mail Shirt
Copper Mail Shirt
Copper Mail Shirt
Copper Breast Plate
Copper Greaves
Copper Gauntlets
Copper High Boots

She has the following skills.
Level 1 Fighting (Novice)
Level 2 Archery (Adequate)
Level 1 Axe (Novice)
Level 1 Sword (Novice)
Level 3 Knife (Competent)
Level 1 Hammer (Novice)
Level 1 Spear (Novice)
Level 1 Pike (Novice)
Level 1 Lash (Novice)
Level 1 Bow (Novice)
Level 1 Crossbow (Novice)
Level 3 Wrestling (Competent)
Level 1 Striking (Novice)
Level 2 Biting (Adequate)
Level 1 Dodging (Novice)
Level 3 Shield (Competent)
Level 3 Armor (Competent)
Level 1 Misc. Object (Novice)
Level 2 Kicking (Adequate)

Min/Maxotaur has 86 points currently available to spend.

Edit: I was going to change her to a real fighter, but then the matches started when I wasn't looking and I decided to roll with it.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Mostly loving around. I wanted to see if the attribute gain from lots of little skills outweighed the gain from just pumping a few skills up. From what I can tell it does, but not enough to make up for being lovely with your actual weapon.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Min/Maxotaur of A Furry, A Farmer, and Two Cows will enter the brawl. She'll show you all the true power of versatile education!

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I died as I lived. Completely unmoving and worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Dear teammates,

Sorry.

Sincerely,
Anchors

P.S. Not sorry.