Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!
Fellow Cool Rad Awesome Pals, I hope you're as excited as I am to destroy our much larger opponents in round 1. Seriously though I think we look fine and can't wait to see what the hell happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
:siren: Round One, Fight Seven :siren:

For this writeup and all future ones done by me the Home team will be indicated by yellow in screenshots and bold in the post. The Visiting team will be indicated by turquoise in screenshots and underlined in the post.

Fighting for Home is Spooky Scary Skeletons

Tash Al'rhyn is a Werewolf woman ready to bash some heads in with her silver hammer. She is lightly armored and holds a shield in her other hand. She is managed by tithin.
Three Gremlins in a Blender is a Strangler man with an iron pick. Stranglers and picks seem to go hand in hand in these tournaments! Three Gremlins is also lightly armored and holds a shield in his other hand. He is managed by AJ_Impy.
Bad Munki is a Kobold man with a standard Bowbold build. He is using a steel bow and dons a leather cap, relying on his teammates to keep the other team busy.
Candy Corn Tiger is a Tigerman with an iron halberd and a shield. He is managed by Klokwurk.

Just visiting is A furry, a farmer, and two cows

Goku is a Saiy- I mean Tigerman with a silver hammer and covered in leather. He is managed by Galick.
Dontellim Pike is a Human man with an iron pike. He is decently armored in iron and leather. He is managed by John Charity Spring.
Min/Maxotaur is a Minotaur woman armed with a wooden buckler and covered in copper. She is managed by Anchors.
Rob Ford is a Minotaur man with a silver hammer, a wooden shield and some decent armor. He is managed by Tirius.

Lots of hammers this round! Let's get to the bashing!

Bad Munki lets an arrow loose into the arena! It flies true and chips bone in Goku's left leg! Goku hits the floor and the melee effectively becomes even. Tash Al'rhyn chooses Dontellim Pike as her opponent. Min/Maxotaur and Three Gremlins in a Blender square off. Neither pair damage each other. Candy Corn Tiger is more decisive than his teammates, he runs up to Rob Ford and immediately lops off the Minotaur's right arm. Not wanting to be shown up Three Gremlins in a Blender stabs deep into Min/Maxotaur's right leg with his iron pick! Min/Maxotaur drops to the ground, one leg now useless. The Strangler follows up with a pick strike to the head, doing damage but nothing lethal.

Candy Corn Tiger cuts deep into Rob Ford's left arm, rendering it useless. The Minotaur drops his shield, but takes the iron halberd lodged in his arm with him as he staggers back. Candy Corn Tiger needs that halberd. In a somewhat questionable maneuver Candy Corn Tiger charges at Rob Ford. He crashes into the Minotaur, manages to wrench his halberd free, but bounces back stunned!

Unfortunately Rob Ford fails to take advantage of the situation. Three Gremlins in a Blender swings his pick twice in quick succession. The first taking off Min/Maxotaur's left arm, the second sinking deep into the Minotaur's chest. Min/Maxotaur passes out from the pain!

Bad Munki's second arrow meets Rob Ford's stomach, tearing the Minotaur's guts. Rob Ford goes down just as Three Gremlins in a Blender ends Min/Maxotaur's life with a pick to the skull! First kill goes to Three Gremlins in a Blender!

Three Gremlins in a Blender then casually walks over and steals Candy Corn Tiger's kill of Rob Ford with another quick picking.

Dontellim Pike and Tash Al'rhyn continue to dance around each other, neither landing a significant blow on the other. The melee fighters of Spooky Scary Skeletons all look to poor Goku, now the easiest target remaining. First Three Gremlins in a Blender sinks his pick into Goku's right arm. Then Tash Al'rhyn breaks from Dontellim Pike for enough time to fracture the bones in Goku's right arm with her hammer. Three Gremlins in a Blender scratches Goku's guts while Candy Corn Tiger decides to stab Goku... in his right arm. Needless to say Goku isn't feeling too great at this point.

Bad Munki lets a third arrow loose. Goku is shot through the heart and blacks out! Not long after Candy Corn Tiger finishes Goku off with a halberd decapitation.

Dontellim Pike is now the only fighter remaining on A furry, a farmer, and two cows. The wily Human has some skill, obviously, but can he withstand 3 melee opponents at once? Candy Corn Tiger is the first to approach Dontellim Pike, but this was a mistake. Dontellim Pike stabs Candy Corn Tiger in the lungs, followed by a bone-fracturing stab to the right leg. Candy Corn Tiger hits the floor, passed out from the pain!

Dontellim Pike stabs Candy Corn Tiger in the head, damaging but not killing him. Before he can finish the job he is interrupted by Tash Al'rhyn's hammer. The hammer only bruises though and Dontellim Pike deftly dances around his opponents once again! The audience is so excited at the display that only a few pay attention to Bad Munki nocking another arrow. The Kobold lets it loose and the audience watches in horror as the arrow sinks deep into Dontellim Pike's right arm. The Human cries out in pain!

It was not Bad Munki's best shot, but it was enough. Dontellim Pike is too slow to parry properly now and the Skeletons take notice. They are not kind to Dontellim Pike.

Three Gremlins in a Blender attempts to take the final kill for himself but it is Tash Al'rhyn that finally ends the Human's life by caving in his skull with her hammer.

Final Score:
Spooky Scary Skeletons: 4
A furry, a farmer, and two cows: 0

Kills

Three Gremlins in a Blender: 2
Candy Corn Tiger: 1
Tash Al'rhyn: 1

Combat Log

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 25, 2015

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

AJ_Impy posted:

As much as I'd like Three Gremlins in a Blender to claim a hat trick on their home debut, the dubious kills panel insists that one goes to Candy Corn Tiger:

So it does, thanks for noticing!

Should be fixed now!

Silverminnow fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 25, 2015

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
So what we're basically saying here is that multiple different weapons isn't a great idea, if only because it's too unreliable. Multiple of the same weapon can work, but it's very expensive due to weapon costs being quite high. It's probably a better idea to get decent armor/dodging/a shield that would lessen the chances of your opponent making you drop your weapon than using multiple of the same kind. Dwarf Fortress is a strange beast though, and obviously any given match can go completely the opposite of what is expected. Half of the fun of these tournaments is trying weird/crazy builds to see if they work at all.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

my dad posted:

I have a theory, but it would require looking up waaaay too many different stats in waaaay too many different files for me to gather the :effort: to check it: I suspect antwomen hands have a smaller surface area relative to body size compared to other creatures' hands, which combined with ++strength might be responsible for some fun results. Also, our antwomen have double the chitin thickness to avoid excessively easy squishing, this might add some mass to the fists as well.

To be honest I just went with the race with the most arms, who also used punching as their primary unarmed attack (Stranglers primary unarmed attack is biting). From logs there seemed to be more punches happening than with other races. I did a little testing and a maxed out antwoman was able to break bones in a fully armor-clad yeti, so surface area and weight might play into it. At the same time, gauntlets don't seem to play any role in punching, so I don't know if material thickness of the body should matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008

Personally my favorite fight so far just because of this.

Tunicate posted:

Punc is dead.

Also this.

At least she isn't unblooded, somehow.