Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Coward posted:

I'm trying to recreate getting into the Semis. I want to believe that there's an archer build that is competitive against melee fighters. I'm content for that only to be possible in team fights.

I think in one of the very first tournaments, an elf archer actually made it to the finals, before team battles were even a thing. And then his head was crushed by a slade whip, because for whatever reason slade was an available material back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Plans? Who needs plans? Just kill the other guys or, failing that, die in an amusing way.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Oh, for the other three guys in "Bronzestabbed Debate Team", I don't really feel like that name is very fitting. How about "Dead Guys Gonna Die"?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I have actually won fights both with a Minotaur crossbowman and a Minotaur armed only with 30 crossbow bolts. This is not a game you should min-max your dude, because there's a pretty good chance a single random roll lets the gimmick build slaughter him.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I think the difference between a rank 3 and a rank 4 skill is lower than the difference between a rank 6 and a rank 7 skill as well, although I'm not sure about that. Might as well let the tournament keep using the same rules, just to see if it actually does matter that much. Can always change how it works for next time.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Every time I see 5+ posts I'm like "yay maybe it was our fight" but no, it never was. I want to see us get murdered already :v:

Well, you've got a 50/50 chance now at least.

Glad to see our team lived up to our name, I love how teeth just scatter in all directions in Dwarf Fortress.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

The primary thing I'm concerned about would be DF coding coming to a fore. I seem to recall that at least with this specific gimmick was that it (used to?) not just stab with one arrow. Each arrow stabbed like it was alone... as did the other 39.

Even if that's fixed or I'm misremembering, that's sort of a reason not to do such gimmicks. It's either not good, or else it does something insane and I don't want the game to devolve into really bizarre semi-buggy builds.

I think that particular bug was actually fixed before the arena was even a thing in Dwarf Fortress. The only actual problem with that gimmick build is the fact the person running the fight always has to remember to remove the bow/crossbow before every fight that gimmick build is in. And if they forget, then the gimmick build is screwed, because they probably didn't put any points in bows or crossbows.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Sadly, it looks like the other team finally figured out that Krog only had iron armor on his limbs and head.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I'm going to vote for single elimination. To be honest, I think this tournament dragged on a bit too long, and it's way more thrilling reading your team's fight write-ups when the question at the end is "Were you eliminated, yes/no?"

Also, it's a lot more fun to spend a meaningful pile of points in one go on your fighter than to spread them out over multiple matches.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Pickled Tink posted:

As far as I can tell, the other Dentists and I have stuck with the amazing level of strategic coordination that has made us the force we are today: None whatsoever.

Why change a winning strategy?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Alright party people let's do a thing :black101:

astus and habituallyred how do you want to do this? I've got PM

Who needs plans? Just bet all your money on our first match and trust that everything's gonna be fine.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Hooray for having a competent teammate do everything for me!

But man, can we go back to getting points after every round next tournament? Even if it means the risk of getting eliminated for a single loss, it was a lot more fun being able to level up in between rounds.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I was going to be happy with just boxing out a dark gnome, but apparently gremlin punches are still strong enough to pull limbs and tear apart muscle through iron armor on an elf.

Though now the question is, what the hell do I spend these points on? I already maxed out striking and it's not like I can upgrade Dan Man Dan's fists. Gauntlets don't actually add to strikes, do they?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Well, my guy has a 100% win rate for the two times I tested him against my teammates' fighters (that have points spent on them, anyways), so now I don't have to feel guilty about my horrible gimmick build.

But we are definitely not going to win this tournament.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

Do you want to work together to maybe try and not be awful?

Nah, that's a bit too much effort, and not winning a tournament isn't the same as not having fun.

Also, so far we all have the same weakness in common, and I really want to see how that plays out.

AJ_Impy posted:

I'm open for tweaking as needed. Did it get anything done?

You inflicted one serious injury before getting paralyzed, so not exactly a thorough test of your fighter's abilities.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
...uh, I did not expect any of that. That was an extremely gruesome match, which makes it even weirder that the team with no armor won.

RIP Bowbold, we salute you for your determination.

(Also rip my fighter's guts what the gently caress Naked Snake?)

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Apparently enemy archers just hate Bowbold.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Can't wait for my dumb gimmick build to get brutally eliminated in the first round by a tiny gnome named Stabbers.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Astus posted:

Can't wait for my dumb gimmick build to get brutally eliminated in the first round by a tiny gnome named Stabbers.

Called it.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
I had completely forgotten about our team's dumb gimmick, but Naked Snake proves that all you need is a knife and some venom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
So uh, that's a pretty huge difference in Naked Snake's showing. For those who missed it, in the first run of this fight before the crash, Naked Snake got killed almost instantly. Dwarf Fortress combat really is all or nothing, huh?

How the gently caress has our team made it this far?!