Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Jazzimus Prime posted:

...and focus (slightly affects general combat awareness, and affects archery skills)

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Kobold
Size: 25
Agility: ++
Strength: +
Toughness: +
Recuperation: +
Disease Resitance: +
Focus: -
1400 points
May use 1-handedly: buckler, large dagger, whip, short sword, scourge
May use 2-handedly: spear, battleaxe, pick, mace, war hammer, bow

Wait a minute... are Bowbolds a bad idea now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Ramc posted:

The issue there is that people might want to co-ordinate with their teammates on their starting builds to avoid 3 archers. Or 2 archers. Or really even 1 archer.

Archery blows in a team battle, classically, is all I'm saying.

It blows in a 1v1 battle much more.

Should we remove the ability for people to make archery fighters if there is no way they can be competitive?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Anchors posted:

Archery isn't so bad in team battles. I believe it was two team tournaments ago that had my team with myself as an archer made it to the finals. Probably would've won that one too if I had upgraded from silver arrows at some point.

I'm trying to recreate getting into the Semis. I want to believe that there's an archer build that is competitive against melee fighters. I'm content for that only to be possible in team fights.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Klokwurk posted:

Actually... I kinda like that as it is.

Do we need to add the word "Squad" to the end of it?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

:stare:

Even with the home team advantage, I have had Bowbolds with skills four points higher who couldn't hit with every shot, let alone make every shot effective. Did making an archer and naming him Bad Munki create a double negative of competence?

Excellent work to my team mates for just loving clearing the room, too!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Bad Munki's team wins and two bowbolds prove effective right after each other. There's something odd going on.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Well, looks like archery's back to normal. A clean headshot didn't actually do anything.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Sometimes she shoots, sometimes she decides "hey, this mace is cooler".

If you can figure out something she'll reliably do, please let me know. No, please; it's not for an advantage in this tournament, but it does play into a side project I might be working on.

What if the antwoman was packing two crossbows? Does she fire at a faster rate, or is the second crossbow used for parrying (the AI picks a crossbow to use every time one is reloaded)?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

jon joe posted:

Not that I don't like taking your money, but why are you always betting against your own team, Coward?

Because I take the thought of our team losing SO BADLY that only winning a pittance of fake money on a joke website can assuage the yawning pit of despair in my soul. And I think it's funny.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

This is still extremely confusing for me.

Hooray!

Krysmphoenix posted:

I'll reveal my build right away, because this is depressing. :cry:

She has the following equipment.
Steel Bow

She has the following skills.
Level 10 Archery (Accomplished)
Level 6 Bow (Talented)

The reason Archery is so high is that I bought 5 Bow at creation, and invested the rest in Archery for the extra accuracy. So...I have no loving idea. :psyduck: I can only assume the other bowbold has maxed Archery or more investment in Bow, despite wasting skill points on the cap.

Also seriously people, pronouns!

Yep, I was wondering about that. Thanks for showing your build because I did suspect it was something to do with Archery being a problem like Fighting is.

Here's Bad Munki's build:

He has the following equipment.
Steel Bow
Leather Cap

He has the following skills.
Level 5 Archery (Proficient)
Level 5 Bow (Proficient)
Level 4 Dodging (Skilled)

I actually made really sure not to put Archery higher than his Bow skill, or make it higher than 5 or so.

Probably shouldn't have bothered with Dodge, but I wasn't sure how the fights would go, and there was one fight in a previous tournament we would have lost if my Bowbold hadn't been able to Dodge enough.

Coward fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 28, 2015

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Archer lineup

:psyduck: Holy poo poo. That explains so much. It explains why my archer in a previous tourney with much higher skills was still missing half of their shots. Hilariously your position in a lineup can be a better indicator of successful sniping than actual skill.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Yeah, that is the archer performance I'm more used to.

Basically an archer pretty much has to hit with the first shot or the team loses.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Congratulations to Coward for doubling his money.

Woohoo! Taking the risk paid off!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Ow.

It feels, sometimes, that so much rides on that initial shot from the archer.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

There we go. That's the archery performance I am used to from previous tournaments with basically every shot bar one missing.

I raised my Archery skill again, and this is beginning to make me again convinced that putting an Archery skill X points higher than Bow skill is more likely to cause misses. I just have to presume it's just bad luck, though, compared to accuracy in previous matches?

Or were the mêlées over much more quickly this time so there were fewer shots taken?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Nah, that seems like a gouda build to me. Killing guys in the arena should be a bries.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

We were feta'd to be together.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I hate shield.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

tithin posted:

Why is my girl always getting tag teamed? where the gently caress is the rest of my team while I'm fighting twos and threes on one???

I am willing to take responsibility for this. :negative:

Archers are only useful if they manage to get a relatively decent hit right out of the gate. If that doesn't happen, the team's really likely to lose as it becomes four completely fine people beating up three in melee.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

How do you write "Spooky Scary Skeletons" in their own language?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

*nods sagely*

Well played.

For my part, I think we established earlier that my weird guessing games about how the Archery skill interacted with Bow skill was wildly wrong, so I'm happy to admit Bad Munki is definitely a sub par archer. But what I find confusing is that in earlier rounds, Bad Munki scored hits routinely. Ever since I started putting points into skills, he's missed all the time. What's going on? Just RNG'd in the groin, or have I somehow screwed something up by making my chance to hit higher?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Hooray! Bad Munki did something! The team actually functioned as it was meant to this time! Lovely work, lads.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Wow.

Okay, Bad Munki has swapped to a battleaxe now. Might be more effective.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

smaller races get more

It's Political Correctness gone mad.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Oh, what the gently caress? I may as well have brought a whip. :negative:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Dirty Frank posted:

You bet against your team, you deserve nothing.

Huh. Are there people who are actually offended or weirded out that I always bet against my own team? This is like the second or third time this has come up. I can kind of understand that it might be viewed as sort of disloyal or that I'm deliberately taking a dive or something, is that it?

AJ_Impy posted:

Pretty much this. Five rounds rapid is good going, you were just shooting at people in the Matrix.

In previous matches it's always been shields that have been the bane of my archers, but looking at the log it's always people jumping away. Out of curiosity, is there any relationship between how high Bow skill (or is it Archery skill) is and whether people dodge, or is it purely just how high the Dodge skill is that determines it?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Keep in mind that there's two sorts of "dodge" here. One is actually the dodging that checks the dodge skill ("x leaps away from the flying {steel arrow}"), and the other is random motion. Often if a fighter just plain takes a step or two, the arrow doesn't come close enough to even roll an attack. I'm not sure if Bow skill affects the first one, but I'm relatively sure Archery doesn't, and Archery just keeps it more on course, which depending can be helpful or not for the second one.

High skills are a positive, mind! Try pretty much any set-up with a good archer and a bad archer (either skill or both) with all else held equal, and the good one really does do better... over a statistically meaningful number of tests...

There are three shots in the Log that I can see. One is blocked on a shield, two are "jumps away", with the other two presumably just being bog-standard misses that aren't even mentioned in the Log. I'm interested in whether or not the Dodge is at all affected by the Bow skill, or whether it's just a straight skill check if the arrow comes into the square. With a relatively low rate of fire and an archer's need to get a solid first or second shot in, having whether or not you get a hit in be determined mostly by the other person's skills is a bit daunting. Especially as a tournament goes on Dodge skill is likely to increase, whereas the similar increase in Bow skill does not make too much of a difference.

I am determined to one day get an archer to be formidable throughout a tournament somehow!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

It's not all on Bad Munki (Coward), the front line went down a bit too easily. The Skeletons are capable of getting very quick starts and steamrolling or stalling out and getting steamrolled.

It's kind of you to say that, Impy, but I strongly feel that the archer needs to connect with that first arrow for the Skeletons to win through.

Basically I'm saying this is all Bad Munki's fault.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Hmmm. Function of the archer's skill or matchup against opponents that no one shield blocked or dodged the arrows?

Nice work, though, Krysm. I'm not quite sure what's going to be all-round better than steel aside from the shining blue that I don't think I have any chance of being able to purchase.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

I'd be posting more, but I got a new gym membership and I can only think about one thing at a time.

It's the wrong thing, clearly. :colbert:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

If its cool, I will throw all the fighters in a brawl in like 15hrs from this post. Eastern time morning.

Say if you want to be in it.

You MUST post your fighter/team name so I can find it.

If you make me search for it, too fuckin bad.

Bad Munki definitely wants to have his face pulverised in the ring.

Whether that's the kobold in the Skeletons or not, I leave it up to the reader to decide.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

Congrats to Coward and his fighter Bad Munki.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Coward has now been given ownership of the fighter Anthony after I didn't hear back from dasmause.

Er... Right. I'll just sell everything and get two whips. Surely that'll work this time.

Edit: give us a bit just to let my team mates talk me into something more sensible. like three whips.

Coward fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 4, 2016

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

Please don't take offense to the above, my dad and Coward. Dory and Anthony did similar things with completely different tactics so I had to write it in there.

That was hilarious.

Well done, Anthony, you fat lump.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Surely this time an Archer build of mine will win.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Oh, you bastards setting this up while the civilised world was asleep.

One of you had better be armed only with a melee crossbow.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

my dad posted:

To be fair, there's enough triple K in there with just the Donald.

:golfclap:

Let the healing process begin with murder.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

We need more melee crossbow yetis.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

I would like to use a featherwood whip, please

Isn't that an icecream flavour?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Is there any reason to rush to design the best gimmick build? I was hoping to know who my teammates were before I did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Krunge posted:

Start by running Bad Munki's team1 so sweet defeat is his sooner.

1Not to be confused with "Bad Munki's Team"

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I like the cut of your jib. Let' s get this show on the road. Everyone pick our team for betting and enjoy the show gentlemen!