Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Will we have the chance to change races/skills when we're assigned to teams? I remember that being talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Hi Team 3 / Tooth and Foot. No idea if you guys want to coordinate or not. If so my email is bene dot elim dot 42 at the gmails, we could set up a hangout or something.

If not, I'll just make the murderwolf and we go from there. Should be a good team mix for chaos and stabbings.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Spermy Smurf posted:

Team A Tarantino Film has seen better days.

Blood splattered everywhere and a dissapointing ending? Perfect day for a Tarantino Film!

Also: poo poo. Never saw Snarls get kerb-stomped like that in testing.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Godna posted:

Definitely noted...and hey the wooden sword totally broke the Tiger's arm and deprived him of a shield!...that was ultimately pointless.

I figured a wooden weapon was better then no weapon.
Would yo rather go to fight with a wiffle bat or your fists?

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Krysmphoenix posted:

Seriously? My bowbold didn't brutally lose on the first round like every other time?

Praise be...whatever kobolds worship, I am saved!
I'm pretty sure Kobolds worship you at this point.

Is that 7-1 for home teams this round? I'm not going to call it bugged. I think it'll work out like serve in tennis; the best teams will be capable of away wins and will go through, and at least most teams will get a win at some point.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Oh for loving out loud! Even with a golden opportunity and three distracted opponents Snarls does nothing.

Last lime I let Treeloved handle pre-season training.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Remove, please. I want our team to win something before the playoffs!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Following Tarantino Film's last match, I've decided to introduce gladiator shaming.

Snarls Barkley has not made a single successful attack, caused damage or effect in a fight or done anything other than die horribly. As such she is highly deserving of the following.

I'd have put her pike in the picture, but there didn't seem to be much point. She never uses it.

The rest of my stable has been instructed to point and laugh when they see her.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Ramc posted:

Incredible. The shaming worked, Bene!
Apparently so. She now only has the third worst kill-count in my stable. The shame label stays until she starts a fight without getting hit first.

(I might need to start betting!)

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I think I may have already said that the prices for scourges and whips will be brought down significantly in the next version.

However, apparently, Toady has now released a brand-new version of DF where you can kill your opponent by singing at him or some such poo poo, so I'm not sure I can promise anything anymore regarding the next version. :sadwave:

Does this mean we could theoretically create dovahkiin gladiators in the future?

Because that sounds awesome.

Edit: Or bards. Bards would also be good (especially in teams)

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 19, 2015

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Oh for loving out loud.

Just when I think she's got the message about not running in face first, she goes and gets taken down in two chump shots.

That's it. The sign goes back on.

At least our armourer does his job right.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

quote:

Uma turns her chopped up foot into a diving roll and when she comes to rest Dusseldorfs head slowly slides off of his body.
That really is a Hatori Hanzo sword...

...and the girl's finally getting good with it!

Did not expect that win, especially remembering our performance in the early rounds. Maybe we've finally managed to patch our builds to the point of usefulness, or maybe the shame tickets are working.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I originally went with Iron Gauntlets this round since Uma's arms tend to get hosed up a lot. I then double checked who was on Animists saw Iron Spears, and quickly switched to an Iron Mail Shirt; seems to have paid off in spades.
U R SMART LIKE CLEVER ROCK!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

goatface posted:

Hmm, experimental data a bit thin. Putting an object in the hand (in this case a shield she does not know how to use) appears to stop attempts at wrestling and goring, and she attempts to hit people with it.

Is it possible to over-ride the preference of using a "weapon" in favour of natural weapons (teeth, horns, claws, glistening oiled muscles and elaborate wrestling moves)? The urge to wield something seems pretty powerful.
Doesn't seem to be a thing. We've seen numerous gladiators swing with shields instead of punching (some gladiators have been built around this).

The AI's (for want of a better term) priority list seems to go something like:
Any held weapon -> Any held object/shield -> Striking/kicking/wrestling -> Biting/goring
[Except for Stranglers and Snakemen who prioritize biting]
Attacks of opportunity can be anything, but aren't common enough to be reliable.

Long story short: give a gladiator a shield and they'll largely forget that they have fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

Single elimination, maybe with some 4-team melees for the eliminated teams.