Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

Hells Dentist

When I sent you that cheque I was hoping you'd stack the odds a little more subtly than only spawning one of the enemy team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Holy poo poo Flynn is deadly. That was a great fight. And: yesssssss!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Didn't Jazzimus say he'd have time to write a few bouts in the playoffs? :v:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I believe Laser Explosion is all set to score a lucky win against a team of rabid min/maxers.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Has every single match in the playoffs so far gone down 4-1?

e: Yes. Weird. A sign of longer matches with more armoured opponents, I suspect.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Well that settles it, definitely need another test tournament after this one to trial these new changes.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

What a fuckin fight this is. Incredible.

Writeup to come in a bit once I edit all 90 god drat images. I'll probably only use half of them to and combine those into 15 or 20, but it still takes time!

You are a superstar. I promise if I'm still unemployed when we kick off another season, I'll sign back up to run some fights.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Great write-up, I enjoyed the read.

Anthony's and Mogwai's builds doing exactly what they were meant to is lovely to see. Tonic is nice and efficient too (until his arms fall off). Dory put up a really scary fight though, we were dead lucky he got isolated 3 on 1.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

Ran it six more times and it went 6-0 for Plump Helmets.

LA LA LA NOT LISTENING

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Bring it on, though shouldn't it be the bronze medal match first?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Welp. My surprise strategy of buying a shield and shield skill for Molegrim did not pay off.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

Thanks for posting bet results. Want to post the betting leaderboard too?

Must be because I'm an admin that I can't see the tournament now.

Nobody can see the tournament under current tournaments anymore, but if you go to Manage Fighters you can get to it via your fighter's page.

P.S. thank you so much for running all those fights!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The betting pages should no longer fail now, they should at least let you choose which tournament to look at. I should probably change it so that it defaults to the most recently completed tournament with an option to choose a different one from there, but that will require more work.

If I were designing this, I'd say that a just-completed tournament should remain "open" for 1 week and after that it should default to the "list of completed tournaments" page.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I have an idea for this. Will pm Jazz when I have a chance to investigate feasibility.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Jeez this moved fast. Not super enamoured of our team name but it certainly fits my approach so happy to roll with it.

Go go go

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Splode posted:

A yeti with a halberd was a great idea apparently.

It promised to be entertainining if nothing else.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Let people spend points to field an extra fighter. But make it cost so much that only the little guys can afford it.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Ugh. Brutal.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
A Good Result.

Although, Bogroll made far more of a meal of all that than the kill tallies suggest. Literally so, at the point where he bit off Windybold's middle finger. I'm assuming the dodgy little fucker had made a rude gesture.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Splode posted:

a

TBH I don't even look at the screenshots, I just read the write-ups

While this is also true of me, the images do help to visually break up the wall of text.

If the posts are more condensed summaries they probably don't need images in the middle.

And yes, post the combat logs so those with a stake in the fight can brag about their fighter's exploits.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
My contract ends at beginning of March, maybe I'll have time to run some fights then!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Do you have time to run some fights?

My current work contract expires in April. of 2022

It got extended :)

e: but on the plus side it means I get to continue working on this cool game
http://www.nintendojo.com/games/previews/gdc-18-hands-on-preview-smoke-and-sacrifice-switch

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 26, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:black101: :iit: :black101:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Hard Brexit stands ready to shaft everyone.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Oh yeah I forgot betting was a thing

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I'm working on a script that will auto generate somewhat readable text-only write-ups from combat logs. If I ever finish it I'll run a mini tournament to test it out

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spermy Smurf posted:

Just take two screenshots and then move the blood spatter and fighters in mspaint. These people are idiots and dont notice year in and year out.

That way you can hit space, get the log in 3 seconds, spend 2 minutes copypasting blood and these chumps eat it up.

I literally don't look at the screen caps. I might glance at the combat log if the fight sounds interesting. Mostly I'm focused on the words, which is why I think my idea of automating generation of write-ups from the combat log might have legs. Let the commish edit it a bit and throw in some googled flavour images like my dad is doing, bam, done.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Kinda relieved to see Hard Brexit fall at the first hurdle to be honest. I will take this as a good augury.

gently caress it I'm never gonna win a tourney

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Give me powers and I will run all remaining fights and just post the results and combat logs

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Nice writeup!

But yeah. You now understand why burnout is a thing and I've been racking my brains for ways to make writing fights up easier.

You definitely don't need to step through the whole fight - I tended to let it run for a second or two and then look up what happened in the log. Nor do you need to record every single hit, just the really significant/interesting ones.

Also I personally don't look at the images much, even when it's my fight. They are just there to break up the wall of text as getting any actual info out of them involves peering and comparing minutely with earlier images. If I wrote up another fight I think I'd probably only have a couple of screenshots and break up the rest with funny pics from Deviantart..

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Fuubi posted:

Not to be outdone by his team mate, A copper hammer wielding dwarf throws her {iron javelin} at Bogroll, and it strikes the goblin in the neck!
Bogroll loses hold of the steel great axe and falls over. Right in the nerves!

Oh come on!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I don't think morning routine even made the playoffs, but I've updated Bogroll just in case.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I've prodded him on Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:golfclap: that was an entertaining read, keep going. I don't actually remember what tournaments are going on though