Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Dang it, missed fighter registration. I was so looking forward to finally getting enter the tournament, too. :(

All 1,000 dorfbux on the currently unnamed team 13, against This Bites! :10bux:x100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

Stick around. Someone will abandon a fighter and you can swoop in and save the day by loving up the fighters build so bad that my team wins.

Okay. I will keep a careful eye, but if possible I'd like to call pre-dibs.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

hey guys, I think i found a better name for team 13

I'm glad I bet all my money on you.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

GreyPowerVan posted:

We have three people working together and then one who won't edit their character :smith:

I will take this person's spot if they continue this behavior!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
A friendly cat with permadeath.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Let me start taking notes.

Let's see... no weapon... platinum armor... any other ideas?

Wrestling. All of it.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Good fight, heavy weaponry wins!

So the rounds don't necessarily go in order, betting wise?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Godna posted:

And where do great swords or rather two handed ones fall on the whole table of weapons in the scale of things?

The great sword slashes the weapon table in the scale of things and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I've made money! Go big guys!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

A good poster posted:

I figured hey, if Copper Daggers were kinda OP in the hands of stronger creatures, a Yeti with one could be unstoppable...

Wasn't this discovered as true in the last test session and therefore altered in some way?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Look, everyone, there is clearly a simple answer.

Nuke the tournament.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Actually, yes, but morale is turned off by default because the fights between undisciplined combatants would basically be "1 person gets injured/killed, everyone else, including the attacker, runs into a corner and starts weeping and wailing about the horrors of war"

Slaves to Armok: God of Tears Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Since when do elves have trance?

j/k good fight

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Krysmphoenix posted:

Bowbold supremacy

I'm astonished at the overall lack of archers. Where are the antwomen wielding dual crossbows?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Nerf Bad Munki

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
MORE GORE!

I will never not bet on heavy weight horrorshow. Good horrorshow.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
By the way I've placed an incredibly large bet on The Petting Zoo (only team to lose from home last round) this round vs Spooky Scary Skeletons, if anyone wants to hoover up some bet money, you should bet against me! This is absolutely my kindness and not an attempt to get more money from winning. :)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Pickled Tink posted:

So few people are willing to bet against the Hell's Dentists. It's like they don't want my money :(

That's because Hell's Dentists is probably the most well-put together team in these early rounds, and is also currently home-teaming it up.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Pickled Tink posted:

That's a blatant lie! We didn't really coordinate at all, and we spent almost the entire time pre-tournament arguing over our team name, and then how to punctuate our team name!

And you punctuated it...

With the blood of your enemies!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Well that was over quickly.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I suggest wielding 4 crossbow bolts with a contact area of 4.

How does one indicate one's weapons are bolts or arrows, anyway?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Crossbows and bows come with a set of 40 bolts and 40 arrows respectively. There isn't an option to purchase bolts or arrows by themselves.

Right, but I seem to recall that people in previous tournaments wielding bolts or arrows as melee weapons. Is there some trick to doing that?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
You should still come out ahead with superior skill, Spermy. 4 daggers is a lot and it's not like they aren't good.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Look, here's the up and down of it: Who I bet on, wins. It's that simple! First place better woo!

Spermy Smurf posted:

Panty Thief then throws the moleman from the ground, and then people take pot-shots at the airborn moleman.

Fight prior, but I can only imagine that Panty Thief throws the moleman above him and then starts ora-oraing from the ground, his backswings shattering the arena floor under him with his elbows.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I will never not enjoy yetis throwing, then punching enemies midair.

While Bad Munki's misplaced bet may have given Pickled Tink a large proceed, I am glad others jumped on the obvious winning team enough for me to keep my place as #1 better!

Whop it out.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

I was betting strictly for the odds, hoping for an upset and a payday. As always, it didn't pan out.

I wonder how many times, out of 100 simulations, would Hell's Dentists lose that fight. I'm guessing not many.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

I dont remember the teams at all even though I run fights. Certainly not enough to know what fighters are on what team. I randomly place bets, then have to go check to see if I bet on that fight later.

Fair. If I had a fighter in this I probably wouldn't care as much about betting. As is, it's the only way I can assert my dominance. :henget:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Yep, expected winner. I don't know why people thought A Tarantino Film would win, just because they're bigger and home team? Worker Cooperative made a very strong showing first round despite losing. A Tarantino Film did not, and they even went against Team Laser Explosion, who are worse than The Plump Helmets.

edit: If anyone wants some amount of free money before round 3, Go big and/or go home will win against Lightly Whipped.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 30, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Slaughtered.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
1) Are we voting now on whether or not to remove Home Team Advantage?

2) Guaranteed winners this round: The Plump Helmets, Subterranean Animists. If you bet against them, you're throwing your money away.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ah, thanks!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

Is it the two best teams from each division that advance to the playoffs, like last time iirc, or is it determined some other way?

Matches are pre-determined. http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_schedule.php?9

Next rounds are all planned.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Ah, investing points in your "completely missing the point" skill, I see. :v:

Yes, should have invested them in reading comprehension instead.

edit: As part of my horrible reading ability I seem to have mistakenly placed a lot of money on Spooky Scary Skeletons, everyone should bet on Hell's Dentists to relieve me of my cash, certainly not so I can capture all of everyone's poor pennies.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 31, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Frozen_flame posted:

It is good that the team is so accepting of my dwarf's oddities. The extra arms are a birth mark.

Dwants.

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?t=8298

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jazzimus Prime posted:

:siren: All four division champions will qualify for the playoffs. How should the remaining four playoff spots be determined? :siren:

A) The four non-divisional-champions with the best overall records

B) All four second-place teams, regardless of overall record

C) The four teams with the best K-D difference score, besides the four division champions. Team A might have more wins than Team B, but I think if Team B is consistently more lethal, they are a 'better' team in terms of consistency - victories less based on luck and more based on MURDER POWER. Plus, isn't it always good to encourage more carnage? Bonus: Because the losing team always gets 4 deaths and the winning team always gets 4 kills, the overall victors should still be privileged.

edit: clarification I mean best difference between kills and deaths, not kill/death ratio.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 1, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

D) Teams composed of the individual gladiators with the highest K/D ratios.

Not sure if that's a serious suggestion or not - it sounds hilarious - the only reason I have a problem with it is because it warps builds to encourage individual murder ability at the cost of team composition.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

FillInTheBlank posted:

As long as we all have a fun time. That's what I think is best.

Frozen_flame posted:

Fun? in MY Fighting League?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

ZeeToo posted:

"best overall records" is pretty close to "best K-D", since that'd be the tie breaker if two teams are 8 and 8 or whatever. In fact, it's actually kind of hard to have a better K-D ratio than a team that has more overall wins than you. Yes, it's mathematically possible (team that always wins or loses 4-0 vs a team that always gets at least 3 kills), but I think winning should count for something and... those possibilities are hard in practice.

I'm for A, and I would be very surprised if that didn't match "C" in practice.

I think it's distinct difference, however, that a team who 3-4s or 2-4s consistently can go over a team that 0-4s or 4-0s with more victories; instead of having kill-deaths be the tie breaker, it should be the primary measure with victories coming in to settle ties of kill-death. This places more emphasis on the killing, which is plus for us spectators. That's the main draw; I imagine that in effect A and C would be very similar, yes, but because it leads to positive (for the audience) strategy change, C is better.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Alternative to democratic vote: Each option gets a representative in a single FFA fight. Last man standing determines what rule set we go with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

ZeeToo posted:

I'm actually okay with either way, but... what's the difference? What, as a player, am I likely to do differently to kill more enemies when we lose?

More points spent on higher quality weapons and weapon skills, less armor (if you believe this to be associated with more killings), a small buff to larger guys for being more lethal (sadly we are already past race choice, but hey, big guys still need love!)