Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
So I'm finally done with revising Baldwin on the Subterranean Animists. I've got a character that can reliably murder my teammates at the very least.
It looks like we'll see RIGHT AWAY how medium/small stacks against Largehuge with the new rules.

Also - Is there a test character generator in the works? I apparently can't be assed to do the math and manually equip fighters...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I'm a scrub that never got platinum.

Animists, go ahead and send me an email: CaptainDirtnap at Gmail dot com

I do have a suggestion for Decoy.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

This message is for Cool Rad Awesome Pals only: I appear to have accidentally infiltrated the Subterranean Analmites or whatever they're called. Please advise.

Ahahaha, I just thought frozen was out of his goddamn mind. Just Munki.

poo poo, You didn't tell anybody about the crossbows, did you?

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 19, 2015

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Compared to the 1v1's, these logs contain some really great imagery, once you parse that Grabbing someone's "Lower back teeth" with their "upper arm" is basically a one-armed choke hold from behind.

So that fight basically ended with Panty providing said choke hold, while trying to pull Albrik's leg off with the free hand.... And Dory stabbing away at Albrik's face the whole time. Fun stuff.

General Question: Do our fighters gain skill through the course of a fight? I know everything is reset at the end, but could a really long, drag-out fight leave a fighter significantly more skillful for another opponent? Would a fighter with zero armor skill eventually wear that armor a bit easier as the fight goes on?

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Pickled Tink posted:

I would have thought buffing the Fighter skill a level would have been both easier and fairer.

I have to agree with this one, especially since I don't think the advantage was common knowledge.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Jesus christ :gonk:

That hammer definitely isn't much good for penetrating helmets on downed fighters, but it's certainly good for putting people on the ground. Wonder if it'll take more skill or just a heavier hammer to bridge that gap.

If there was some way to have your fighter favor limb shots vs head shots, your Elf could be unstoppable. He barely missed anything in the last two rounds, but he wasted a bunch of swings against helms and big skulls, which results in bruising.

It's a strength problem. If you have enough strength for a platinum hammer, you'd probably be crushing skulls with your silver hammer. Your best bet might be something unusual like Steel + Skill. Lighter but more rigid? This might be a My Dad question.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Frozen_flame posted:

No you're not we're actually terrible I hear one of them isn't even a dwarf.

Such scandal can only mean doom and gloom for the team.

This whole time I've been visualizing your fighter with a crude beard taped to her mandibles. It is very convincing.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I gotta say, being disarmed is a big problem when you can't bite effectively. Thank god for Quarf's sure grip and Braun's genetic condition.

Should my iron gauntlets have stopped the lash to the lower forearm? I didn't even see a mention of armor in the combat log.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Flynn's condition isn't much of a mystery:

quote:

In Like Flynn (grobbendonk) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron pick and a wooden shield and wears a copper helm, a copper mail shirt, an iron mail shirt, a copper breast plate, copper greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots
Double mail shirt and a full suit of armor besides. Essentially wearing his weight in wax, for all the protection it gave him. His speed basically made that fight even for the melee combatants. A 3v4 might have been very different.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

my dad posted:

People tend to forget that copper is heavy enough to be good blunt weapon material, and bad enough at protecting you that it's only better than leather at blocking some sharp copper weapons. And it costs twice as much as leather. Pretty much the only copper armor I'd ever buy is a copper cap to give at least basic head protection, and maaaaaybe a copper mail shirt on a minotaur+ sized creature, but not really. If you buy full body copper armor, you'll need a lot of armor skill to make up for it, and at that point you might as well buy iron instead.

I stand by copper mail as a good teeth/fang deterrent. I'm pretty sure a Molemarian can bite straight through leather.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Ramc posted:

It's more likely than a Lightly Whipped or This Bites pulling an upset on their fights was anyway.

Hell, Lightly Whipped almost did it to us this round. I'm betting all the money I can on A Tarantino Film for this next match.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Ramc posted:

That fight log is especially brutal. Jesus christ, Josie.

I've been running test fights during the dry spell, more or less guessing at skill loadouts. Josie is a monster. Her kills would be higher if she didn't prefer maiming combatants to finishing them.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Holy poo poo, now that is a FIGHT. Did Roland swap out his pretty shirt for actual armament? Congrats.

Edit: And look at Little Mac here...

quote:

Sun Tzulander_BITES punches Snowshank_BIG in the head with his left hand, bruising the muscle!
Snowshank_BIG has been knocked unconscious!
Snowshank_BIG falls over.

Sun Tzulander_BITES punches Snowshank_BIG in the head with his left hand, bruising the muscle!
Sun Tzulander_BITES punches Snowshank_BIG in the head with his right hand, bruising the muscle!
Sun Tzulander_BITES punches Snowshank_BIG in the head with his right hand, bruising the muscle!
This combo continues for about 6 more rounds.

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 19, 2015

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Frozen_flame posted:

A little bit worried for Braun and her fellow dwarves now. Being a dwarven blender is all she knows.

Either the normalization will continue and leave all the leaders at 3 wins/1 loss, or we will continue to demonstrate Dwarven glory in the arena. It IS a little worrying to see every team from our bracket get stomped, though.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Looking at it, I think we've got the balance right: Nothing stands out above the rest as optimal, with the possible exception of piercing over bludgeoning.

Pretty much. I'm impressed that just about any build - even Wrestling Yetis - can perform well in this version of DF arena. What is even more impressive is that just about every team will find its weakness. My team's Achilles heel would be a pack of leather clad Elves with warhammers, for instance. Elf-hammer squad would lose badly to Molemarians, which would probably lose to goblins with axes or some such.

Most teams are less homogeneous, preferring to mix races and weapon/armor types, but then you have the issue where a gladiator will pair against the worst possible opponent.

Also, while seeing the kill leaders is awesome, I'd like to see the disablement leaders. Fighters that cause an opponent to "pass out from pain" are arguably the 'best', even if they don't get the kill shot. (Don't actually cull this information, it would be a pain in the rear end.)

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Zwingley posted:

Speaking of, what the gently caress are you doing, Unthrottle?

This is before I got disarmed. I literally double-checked to make sure I hadn't put any points in biting or striking or anything. :psydwarf:

This is fighting at work. Consider them attacks of opportunity.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

We'll just have to see how he fares against the FARTSTORM when the two meet.

Though, I'm more worried about our upcoming match; it looks like my favorite elf is going up against the Subterranean Animists. :ohdear:

I'll say it again, skillful leather-clad hammer elves are terrifying. Unless we leg you. I hope we leg you. Dance out there ahead of your team and eat iron.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Maugrim posted:

Bruising the conscience surely.

So how many managers have forgotten this thread exists and aren't bothering to update their fighters? Wondering if those who get knocked out after this phase will get a chance to pick up someone else from the teams that make it through.

If the site tracks activity per round to distribute extra points between rounds, then it could probably produce this kind of metric.

I'm not posting often, but I thoroughly enjoy reading the fights.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Decoy Badger posted:

Hey Subterranean Animists, update your fighters! Buy some slade codpieces or whatever, just use the points!

Huh, I thought I needed more points than that to stab better. Thanks for the reminder.

Frozen_flame posted:

I have been! I have like 100 atm, barely enough for a platinum condom for my dwarven junk

Save it if you have a big purchase you need to save for (better-than-copper sword), and don't bother blowing it on something that won't help you (THIRD copper mail shirt) just to spend em.

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 29, 2016

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

jon joe posted:

Day 253. Qwarf has successful managed to penetrate Simon Belmole's left hand by flinging his own sweat. Antwoman wakes up her two hundred day coma and proceeds to stub her left toe, passing back out again. Baldwin has been taken by a fey mood.

Day 255.

Manthulzokun, the wrath of ichor.

This is a minotaur bone shield. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with cow bone and serpent man scales and encircled with bands of dwarf bone and iron. This object menaces with spikes of iron and soldier ant carapace. On the item is a image of Braun Strowman the dwarf and Antwoman the soldier ant woman in cow blood. Braun Strowman is striking down Antwoman.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Man, gently caress this game and gently caress all of you.

gently caress yeah!

That was beautiful, congrats Decoy.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I can definitely see us sweeping the rest of our matches, then folding in the first round of the playoffs. That would almost be fitting.

Exactly how many points do we get to play with going into the single elimination rounds?

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Congrats to Tarantino Film!

I'm happy for you guys, but what the hell is up with that fight? Two instances of Leather Armor stopping a stab to the guts. Dusseldwarf finally paying for the lack of a helmet this whole time. Way of the Dragon Urist absolutely crushing people through armor. Crazy stuff.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

The punch of Urists to the antwoman head has me scared that Sun Tzu will finally become blooded by punching Antwoman in my fight.

Imagine the Infinite Shame.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

Not like those pigs in Bronzestabbed, ruled by the disgusting and racially homogenous Animists enforcing almost the worst W/L inequality imaginable and permanently consigning whip-wielding non-dwarfs to the winless underclass.

Hey, watch Lightly Whipped turn it all around as we host them this round. The ultimate underdog story.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Keru posted:

If we're sharing pro builds, here's clearly the top build of this tournament:

Sun Tzulander the Philomodel, a male Elf fighter.

This fighter is participating in the 1054 Armok Arena League tournament as a member of This Bites.

He has the following equipment.
Leather Cap
Silver Mail Shirt
Copper Mail Shirt
Copper Leggings
Silver Gauntlets
Platinum Low Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 6 Fighting (Talented)
Level 1 Spear (Novice)
Level 5 Wrestling (Proficient)
Level 9 Striking (Professional)
Level 2 Biting (Adequate)
Level 5 Dodging (Proficient)
Level 1 Shield (Novice)
Level 9 Armor (Professional)
Level 3 Kicking (Competent)

Sun Tzulander the Philomodel has 8.5 points currently available to spend.

Holy crap. No wonder the poor bastard never earned a name. That elf had twice his body weight in armor.

Slade gauntlets all over again.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Frozen_flame posted:

Sweet, a use for Discord finally. Will check it out after work.

P.S. sorry to my team I had to finish a joke from the first arena challenge I entered

Yeah, this is a pretty cool thing. Thanks Dark Off.

Hopefully Decoy and C7ty1 make their way in.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Damouse or whatever and one of the Animists are the only two that need to upgrade their poo poo.

CT2K1 or whatever his name is. Christ I suck with names.

Everyone else locked into their builds, or are some of you still experimenting?

I'll be cycling between three build ideas periodically until you finally pull the trigger. Even I dont know what I'll get.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Decoy Badger posted:

Dusseldwarf of the Subterranean Animists is ready to fight!

I didn't think about it, but they never said we couldn't participate.

Baldwin of the Animists will fight.

If a playoff contender wins, it should go to Impy.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Just.. wow. I never expected Go big to upgrade to IRON ARMOR in the playoffs. That did the trick though.

With no fighter and no money to bet with, I'm hoping for a whole round of upsets.

Edit: There wasn't a single Animist parry in the entire log. That is insane. Nope, just skimming too quickly.

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 6, 2016

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Until the big playoff point infusion, being big is a liability. Once they get points to throw around, here you go.

Every member of Go Big added some amount of iron armor to their gladiators. Hobbes went from a two shot kill to the goddamn Terminator.

I expected them to weapon up or skill up. Instead they countered us perfectly.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Postmortem time for Baldwin:

He has the following equipment.
Iron Spear
Oak Wood Shield
Iron Helm
Leather Armor
Iron Mail Shirt
Leather Leggings
Iron Gauntlets
Steel Low Boots

He has the following skills.
Level 5 Fighting (Proficient)
Level 10 Spear (Accomplished)
Level 4 Dodging (Skilled)
Level 3 Shield (Competent)
Level 2 Armor (Adequate)

Baldwin has 134 points currently available to spend.

The only change for the playoffs was 5 additional points in Spear and 2 Dodging. I really expected patchwork armor at best from the opposition. :argh: HUBRIS :argh:
He would have had exactly enough points for a Steel Spear and Adamantine Gauntlets in round 2. Had I reversed that order, things might have gone differently.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

How fast is too fast?

The round is closed for a little while for people to upgrade, test builds, whatever.

Probably will pick it up again on Monday morning and Plump Helmets vs Team Laser Explosion.

After that you can blame ZeeToo if it's too fast. I mean, there's only 2 fights in this next round so do you want us to space it out a week in between? What would you do in that week without being able to spend points/bet?

You know... double elimination would fix this issue. I know we had a vote, but I'm kind of amazed we are 3 fights away from this being over.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
I understand that there are two entire teams in this final, but I really just want to crown the #1 Murder Punch Tiger Tank. It is absolutely fascinating how that build got so drat effective in the playoffs. (after barely getting by prior)

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Just a little FYI.

Fun! I love crap like this.

Baldwin did pretty well in that brawl. Killed 4 opponents. Then...

Elf 4 bashes Dwarf 4 in the head with her copper mace, bruising the muscle, fracturing the skull through the small iron helm!
Yeti 2 grabs Dwarf 4 by the left upper leg with his left lower arm!
Human 4 bites Dwarf 4 in the head, but the attack is deflected by Dwarf 4's small iron helm!
Minotaur 5 grabs Dwarf 4 by the fifth toe, right foot with her right upper arm!

Drawn and quartered by the Helmets.

For a laugh, follow Dusseldwarf (Dwarf 6). She loses a spear hand early on, but is somehow allowed to mount and smash Krog in the head with a wooden shield for over a thousand lines. All this combat raging around her, and no reaction other than:

Dwarf 6 strikes Elf 3 in the head with her oaken shield, but the attack is deflected by Elf 3's small iron helm!

over and over and over.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Thanks to Spermy for running probably 80% of this tournament by himself!

Also, THIS. I appreciate everybody that put time and effort into this, but major thanks to Spermy for keeping the ball rolling throughout.

Captaindirtnap fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 17, 2016

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

Reading it now... this looks like a lot of fun.

I'd be down for a ruleset like this. Builds are nice, but the RNG should always be king in DF.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Imagine my excitement to see activity here. Is four lute bard monkey the new meta?

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
The Green Menace has entered the arena. Let's see how bad build ideas work in a new version of DF.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Maugrim and Frankenfreak! First one with a name idea wins and all that.

I'll be sticking with my build, and we are varied enough that it might work. More likely, Menace and Noose go get butchered while Live lumbers up at her own pace. That's good too, I'm not going to overthink things this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012

frankenfreak posted:

Sounds good to me and unless Maugrim insists on us overthinking I think we also have a team name.

Until/unless he chimes in, I like it. Super Thematic.