Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Full set of iron plate. Yeah, that was a hard counter for poor Stabsy. Steel probably would have made quick work of Jack, tho.

e: That having been said, using iron was not a mistake on the player's part, any less fully armored enemy would have been in serious danger from this build. They just got hosed over by the luck of the draw.

my dad fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lady Teacup posted:

My very first arena fighter was a Kobold named Stabbington who had an iron dagger and a buckler, and over the course of 9 opponents he managed to get one kill, so I'm not entirely sure what ISN'T a hard counter to the "small dude with a knife" archetype.

I mean, a lot of stuff depends on your skills, which I can't exactly see just from the combat report. However, there was some fuckery with small creatures and weapon sizes, and weapons that should have been one handed for the size were counted as two handed, with the associated 50% skill penalty for using them in one hand.

While I didn't want to nitpick too much, unless your fighter strong enough to push a dagger through armor, a short sword does everything a dagger does, but better.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, poo poo. Sorry Cythereal. :shobon:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
gently caress it, if I find the time, I'll run a fight or two. Commish me.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Welcome, one and all, to Gemclod Arena.

Today's fight is... Oh, seriously, a dark gnome? Trying to take on a werewolf? Seriously? Ugh, let's just get this fight over with.

*ehem* In the right hand corner, we have "A Vampire", legendary werewolf wrestler, showing up in his trademark iron armor, ready to tear his foe to pieces one limb at a time.

And in the left hand corner, we have "Stabbers", a disgusting little dark gnome, bringing only a... wait, is that what I think that is?

COMBAT LOG

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Welcome, one and all, to Syrupleaf Arena.

Today's fight is between a fellow minotaur and a molemarian. Now, I'm not an expert on moleosophy, but I've read "The Three Olives of the Arena" and I have to note that all zodiac signs point to cancer, so I expect to see a swift surgical excision.

In the right hand corner, we have "Plate", a brave minotaur warrior, currently working on a master's degree in stabology. His only protection is the bronze cap he is wearing, so his skill with the dagger will have to decide this match.

And in the left hand corner, we have "Moloch", a molemarian wielding an iron sword, and wearing a cow leather armor as an insult to his opponent. Disgusting. Look at that nose, can you truly trust such a creature not to dig through your precious belongings, looking for some dark secret to forward to its evil underground masters? Not that I, your host, have any such dark secrets, of course.

The bell rings, the fight is on! Haha! Moloch tries to land a hit on brave Plate, but gets parried, and... Yes, it looks like Plate is lowering his head for a charge!

Ow! This could have been devastating! The molemarian rose up on its hind legs, dodging the charge and landing a terrible, terrible cut that lodged its sword into Plate's arm! Wrong arm, Moloch! And now you can't parry! Brave Plate manages to use his momentum to stab one of Moloch's hind legs, and now both fighters are bleeding!

The molemarian pulls on his sword and tries to finish the fight with a blow to the head, but the clumsy beast can't do more than slap virtuous Plate. And now, Plate shows the molemarian how it's done.

Victory to Plate! Look how he laughs at the injuries he received. A victory for all minotaurs! Goodbye, Moloch, I'm sure the worms are looking forward to seeing you like this.

COMBAT LOG

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This fight probably should have gone on much longer, due to one fighter being a molemarian, but, well, boom, headshot. Normally, I'd argue that a bronze cap is a very good investment for molemarians, but I'm not sure it would actually help here - minotaurs are scary and the dagger would have had a good chance of penetrating the cap.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I ran the fight.

I, uh, might stare at the screen for a while until I convince myself that the result actually happened.

Writeup in progress.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Wellcome, one and all, to Headshoots arena!

Today's battle is... huh? wha? seriously? now? you could have told me earlier. Oh, alright... *ehem* going to happen after a quick word from our corporate sponsors:

3... 2... 1... And we're back, folks. So, today's fight is between a troll and a strangler. Interesting matchup, let's see which oversized ape manages to use their advantages better.

In the right hand corner, we have "Hard Brexit", a male troll, armed with his iron spear Theresa, and protected by coppers, breastplate and high boots, a tough matchup for many foes.

And it the left hand corner, we have "Stab!Monkey Bad!Munki" the strangler ape, armed with... armed with... 3 oaken spears, an oaken buckler, and a copper cap. Are you serious?

Riiiiiiight. Well, then, let's get this fight started!

LOOK AT ALL THIS BLOOD! Hard Brexit is not messing around, bringing Monkey down with a stab to the right foot, and then stabbing him in the left leg and slicing one of his hands off. Looks like we're in for another quick fight, folks. Monkey is trying to fight back, but can't do more than tickle the huge troll.

And the audience is clearly feeling let down by the fight, a bearded human just threw a jar of some sort at the combatants. It broke, splattering some sort of gelatinous substance all over Monkey's face. I wonder if it's going to make it melt or something like that. It'd probably count as a violation of the rules if the result of this fight wasn't already obvious. Look at this pathetic flailing.

Worthless. And now the Monkey is licking the substance off his own face and the arena floor, disgusting. Wait...

Monkey is... actually defending himself.

Nothing Hard Brexit tries can make it past his shield, this is incredible.

Still, there's nothing Monkey can do to hurt Hard brexit, all it can achieve on the offense are some minor scratches.

Hard Brexit just needs to wait for Monkey to get too tired to block, and finish the fight. Ugh, and now Monkey is trying to slap Hard Brexit with the hand it used to scoop up the jelly from the floor.

Oh. Oh dear.

Yeah, I don't think anyone needs to see the rest of this. Suffice to say, the only future possible for Hard Brexit is humiliation, suffering, and a slow, drawn out death.

COMBAT LOG

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hm...

Hm...

Galick, which version of the mod are you using? Is it df_43_05_arena?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Galick posted:

Uhh. Nope. I should fix that :v:

E: Fixed it. I was using the one in the OP and I never looked at it, this is entirely my fault :(

Ablative posted:

Here's the thing, though: Was my dad using the same one?

Or the most recent?

I hosed up, too. I thought that Jazz kept the version in the OP up to date and I didn't look at the number. And then I did, and oh poo poo.

JAZZ, could you add a download link to the arena website that always points at the latest version of the mod?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The way I'd go about this, is to finish round 1 as is, with the old version, then move on to the latest version for the rest of the tournament, to minimize the impact of a double standard on who wins and who loses (without rerunning every single fight so far)

The exception being if there are any pike users. The person running the fight should manually add pike skill equal to their spear skill, because that version is from before pike and spear skill were consolidated in the mod, I think. Thankfully, there were no such fights yet.

Still, my apologies for my part in the fuckup.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
oh, ffs

Galick, how do you want to go about doing this, since you're the one actually running most of the fights?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Galick posted:

I think we'll just hard swap to the most updated version for right now, and I'll try to slam through the remainder of the first round through today and tomorrow. I apologize for the fights that have already been ran, but I really don't want us to start a new tourney cause of a gently caress-up. It'll be right from the get-go on the next one, anyway. I'll be running later today!

That's how we do it, then. :)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lady Teacup posted:

Actually, Stabmaster and Mr Pokey both fell victim to this bit of foolery.

Did they have pikes? Spears are unaffected by this.

Bad Munki posted:

I’m thinking maybe we should start a new tournament

I'll try to run some fights soon. IS THERE ANYONE WHO THINKS THEIR FIGHT SHOULD BE RE-RUN?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Apologies, I've been busy helping organize something in my free time, and completely forgot about this thread. :shobon:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think everyone can use two handed weapons single handed right now, just with a very large skill penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hey, Jazz! I've faced a somewhat unexpected amount of difficulty trying to do something involving the arena in another thread, admittedly mostly due to how hard it was to do math while drunk at half past midnight. How difficult would it be for you to implement a sort of a sandbox designer for fighters, given that all the individual elements for this are already implemented? What it would need is the ability to choose the ruleset and the amount of points to use, choosing a species, spending points on skills and gear, and being able to create a macro at the end. Being able to save them would be nice but not necessary since the macro basically does it already.

my dad fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 7, 2019