Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Mogwai has entered the tournament. just remember to keep him off the water okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

go mogwai
that single level on biting really paid off
its a mystery how mogwai survived getting her throat crushed.

Maugrim posted:

Pikes are pretty deadly, I think you were unfortunate in being the fastest on your team and therefore the first to be targeted.

Nice to kick off the tournament with a win, especially as my team elected not to coordinate at all!

i did try to add you on skype guess the emails and invites went to wrong adress

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 20, 2015

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

so i ran some test's with my team comp and then this happened

:psyboom:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Personally i think voting C brings most carnage

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

clearly nobody expected the dual shield wielding mogwai :black101:

i actually did some testing with shields with various materials against different kinds of opponents.
Surprise result was that silver was worse than iron for shield bashing. (for gremlins)
basically silver shields/bucklers had a chance to fail their attack because the swing didnt have any power behind them. This was counteracted by the fact that silver has higher chance to brutalize body parts.
Meanwhile iron has lower chance to brutalize body parts but doesnt suffer from that lack of swinging power also iron shields tend to hit more often than silver.
when i pitted silver vs iron shield mogwais at each other iron shieldet ones had tendency to win with about 60% chance (more attacks connected, causing pain,nausea,windet status effects)
while silver wins were caused by body part collapses, and suffered from rng.
iron vs iron shield matches had tendency to last longer than silver vs silver matches. In fact iron matches were usually decided by which gremlin collapses first due to exhaustion.
with silver matches it was all about smashing body parts in.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Ramc posted:

Also he might be ethereal.
toady added quantum mechanics already i see

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Mogwai why have you betrayed me :bahgawd:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

you tried mogwai. you definitely tried your hardest.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Spermy Smurf posted:

:siren: Round 17, Fight 6 :siren:

Look at those ROI's! Holy poo poo.

Darn i had gut feeling that mogwai would carry this
why didn't i go all in :negative:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Maugrim posted:

I'm so sorry Worker Cooperative, you were one of my favourite teams and it was painful having to root against you in that fight.

But yesssss Team Laser Explosion makes the playoffs! Right up until this moment, I never thought that would happen.

I always knew that mogwai would carry team laser explosion.
I have faith in that little guy. especially for her 1 level of biting

I also created dwarf fortress arena challenge discord server
everyone is free to join
https://discord.gg/012gPEDdSpgnA08vP
i can make rooms for teams in there so people can discuss strategy more easily

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 30, 2016

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Maugrim posted:

Around half the folks who made it to the playoffs are on discord now, where private team channels are a thing. Text and voice chat, text is saved so you can see it whenever you log in. Join ussss.

Incase the invitation link has expired
https://discord.gg/012gPEDdSpgnA08vP
and theres also members of losers bracket in discord come and join us.

also suggestion for that brawl for dasmause position
throw in 50 naked grand master gremlin boxers in the arena. all independent of course.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Mogwai is ready to dominate.

I cant lose anymore.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

heres the betting results

overall betting results:
http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_betting_leaders.php?9

also heres mogwai

Mogwai is a retired female Gremlin fighter managed by you.

This fighter participated in the 1054 Armok Arena League tournament as a member of Team Laser Explosion.

She has 3.88 points currently available to spend.

She has the following equipment.
Adamantine Large Dagger
Silver Buckler
Copper Helm
Leather Armor
Copper Mail Shirt
Copper Gauntlets

She has the following skills.
Level 5 Fighting (Proficient)
Level 1 Archery (Novice)
Level 10 Knife (Accomplished)
Level 1 Biting (Novice)
Level 11 Dodging (Great)
Level 9 Shield (Professional)
Level 11 Armor (Great)
Level 3 Misc. Object (Competent)

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jun 17, 2016

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

guess who won the betting :smug:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Jazzimus Prime posted:

This SHOULD show who's who in the free-for-all, let me know if it looks like I've gotten anything wrong.

pre:
Mogwai:                       -- Gremlin 3

why is mogwai using a whip :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

my dad posted:

In addition, gremlins and gnomes need both a boost and a way to tell them apart. I wouldn't call them underpowered since people really didn't use them enough (and few people used them well, tbh) during the tournament to really judge, but I sure as hell can't tell them apart. I'll repeat my earlier suggestion: Make gremlins really squshy. Like, really loving squishy, with reduced toughness, endurance, and willpower, but give them a few extra points. That way, gnomes will still fill the niche of "super-tiny fighter" while gremlins fill the niche "that thing that dies as soon as something so much as sneezes on it, if the sneeze lands on it before you get stabbed to death"

The things I know about the new version:

Armor can get damaged. This might help give a solution for the "outfought but takes loving forever to actually die" problem that regular armor sometimes creates. This was so far solved by armor failure chance given to mail and helms (and caps, but they have it by design due to not covering the whole head) which is a clumsy workaround, but the best that could have been done with the tools given. Will have to see if this actually happens within a timeframe of a single fight or if it's more of a "you can't use the same armor for 30 years without repairing it" thing.

Fighters will remove head armor from unconsious foes before trying to kill them via headblow. loving finally. The most obvious change from this is that the price of helms might be slashed pretty hard, and the price of caps maybe tweaked a bit, too. Wrestling has proven itself to be a viable strategy in the tournament, and this might help underp wrestlers to a degree, making them less of a gamble.

How pain works was changed somewhat, although I don't know exactly how. Hopefully, it helps deal with "death by stubbed toe->coup de grace" problem.

I ran a lot of test's with mogwai and curiously it was pretty much random outcome. Gremlins are pretty much the RNG champions of arena challenge
The thing with gremlins is currently the fact that they die from 1 hit. But at same time they can kill opponents usefulness in 1 hit. and they can dodge opponent attacks for long time or die in first attack.

and for some reason in my tests mogwai did a lot more shield bashing, thing that didnt happen in main tournament :iiam: