Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

I hope not to disappoint

Congrats! When the tournament starts, you will receive a 500 dorfbux bonus for discovering that my code did not disallow names that consist entirely of whitespace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

Reset me too!

Check your PM.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

gently caress it, if I find the time, I'll run a fight or two. Commish me.

You have been commished.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I figured it wouldn't be a problem to commish user my dad, since there's no harm in him being able to see everyone's builds seeing as how he's probably going to win the whole drat thing anyway.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

I hosed up, too. I thought that Jazz kept the version in the OP up to date and I didn't look at the number. And then I did, and oh poo poo.

JAZZ, could you add a download link to the arena website that always points at the latest version of the mod?

:ohdear:

I'll get on that right now. Sorry!

EDIT: Added it under the Members section

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 19, 2018

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Yeah, uh... let me go and edit the OP too, in order to make sure this won't happen again :ohdear:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

Did they have pikes? Spears are unaffected by this.

I'll try to run some fights soon. IS THERE ANYONE WHO THINKS THEIR FIGHT SHOULD BE RE-RUN?

If any results need to be changed, let me know. I didn't put a rewind feature on the website, so I would need to change things manually :ohdear:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

Give me full powers and I will run exactly one fight and then get bored and become impossible to contact

Maugrim posted:

Give me powers and I will run all remaining fights and just post the results and combat logs

You both have powers now.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I fixed the combat log entry and even modified the combat log viewer script a little.

https://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_combat_log.php?733

(note that emojis don't work on the rest of the site yet, but I know how to fix it and will get to that)

edit: Also that was one of the funnier writeups I've seen, plz do more, Tunicate, tia.

edit2:

quote:

🍆 stands up.
:laugh:

quote:

🍆 falls over.
:(

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 13, 2018

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

I think everyone can use two handed weapons single handed right now, just with a very large skill penalty.

The game used to be a whole lot more clear about how all this worked. The current website rules for weapons and hands were based on Vox's findings from six or seven years ago before he finished law school, and I don't think the DF site ever fully explained how things were changed.

That said, I'm guessing at some point it probably was fully explained, but I don't feel like going back to the DF changelog archives and reading all that poo poo, so I welcome anyone who might be able to summarize all of the changes for those whomst commissioneer, to do just that. There might be dorfbux in it for ya.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Anyone want to run one?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

i have a dumpy laptop that can do DF so am willing to run some. idk how i just looked at the arena thing last night but anything to get this moving again imo is good

Which tournament do you want to manage? The team tournament or the 1v1 tournament?

... eh, gently caress it, I just made you a commissioner for both, and you can decide what you want to run.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
And for instructions on how to run a tournament match, here is how it's done:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426500&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=74#post433546430

And the latest modded version of Dwarf Fortress for the arena is here:

https://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/df_43_05_arena.zip

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

ive forgotten my password for a 3rd time...

Lemme reset it for you brocephus

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

Thanks guy lol

Check your PMs Teddy Broosevelt

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Fuubi posted:

gently caress, why not! Requesting commissioner status! Let's keep this ball rolling!

Commissioner status granted.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I fixed the log. Thanks for running the fight!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
*buckles in*

The team playoffs will be all set after this match btw :getin:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

the blood god demands it's sacrifice

the blood god demands it is sacrifice indeed

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Bad Munki posted:

I think that getting people to come back to life to update their fighters may be the toughest part of all this.

Actually, 10 14 15 of the 16 remaining fighters have been updated already.

Still waiting on an update are:

Totally not everyone throwing spear
Bling Swing owned by Selious

Projectile Vomit
Thor the Warrior owned by Klokwurk

Feels A Bit Chilly
Bowbold the Bold owned by Dance Officer
Polybolos in Strangler Camo owned by AJ_Impy

Big Trouble
Captain Jodariel owned by dmboogie
Meteor Spin owned by I R SMART LIKE ROCK

I'll send out some emails and PMs, and if any fighters still haven't been updated after a few days, they will be made available in this thread for adoption.

Maugrim posted:

I don't think morning routine even made the playoffs, but I've updated Bogroll just in case.

Sorry, your team didn't make it :rip: :sadwave:

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 1, 2019

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

if enough people update i can start another fight!!!

We're just waiting on Klokwurk now!

I have sent a PM and an e-mail. 48-hour notice to update the fighter or it goes up for adoption.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 1, 2019

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
It looks like all the fighters have been updated, so the next round is ready to go!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Excellent fight! For those who didn't see, Verbal Enema went back and edited his post from a couple of days ago.

verbal enema posted:

: Krankor be damned the audience is skeletons!
G: Yes all the past fighters who died get first seats and there have been a lot!

This fun fact is now Arena Canon, both retroactively and going forward. :skeltal:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The fighters have all been updated! Place bets while you can!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

Hey, Jazz! I've faced a somewhat unexpected amount of difficulty trying to do something involving the arena in another thread, admittedly mostly due to how hard it was to do math while drunk at half past midnight. How difficult would it be for you to implement a sort of a sandbox designer for fighters, given that all the individual elements for this are already implemented? What it would need is the ability to choose the ruleset and the amount of points to use, choosing a species, spending points on skills and gear, and being able to create a macro at the end. Being able to save them would be nice but not necessary since the macro basically does it already.

Should be doable... it's been requested lots of times and I could work on it during dead time at work. Problem is, there's been a lot less dead time at work lately... but I'll try!

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Just bumping to keep this thread alive, in case it turns out I have time to run a fight this month.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

So i was gonna run the final playoff fight today but noticed both the macros are out of date and my terrible 2G phone internet cant download the new ones lmao

Ill get them tomorrow from work and finish this. I even made a cool graphic for the final fight c:

Awesome, we're all looking forward to the grand finale!!

edit: also there is still a third place match but I'll try to run that one myself as soon as I have time, otherwise Bad Munki would give me the business because he told me the third place trophy that his fighter will be fighting for is the real championship

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 4, 2019

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

no re

but really though I am ready to run the third place match this weekend and just charge my client for ithe time I spent working on it, I mean it serves them right for expecting me to produce 120 hours of work in a 40 hour week, but seriously what the gently caress why can't they move out their artificial-rear end deadlines when two thirds of the team is out on medical leave and I have to cover for them, I mean I would really totally stand up to them and explain how unfair it all is if I only had another contract ready and waiting in the pipeline, I will never let a third party negotiate my contracts ever again

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Galick posted:

So! I got in touch with Jazzimus and pretty soon (depends on him!) we'll be starting a new tournament with me as the primary commish (and anyone else if they want to help out!)

Since this'll be my first solo tourney, we're going for a single elimination bracket just to ease things into it. Bright side, this means I can likely put out a few fights per day unless they decide to stand there punching each other in the left big toe for the next sixteen years!

So! Sharpen your axes and offer a prayer to Armok to steel yourselves against bloodshed - the Murderbowl lives again!

(also Jazz, please give me the ability to start a new tourney on the site or something so we can get the blood flowin' again :v:)
Ya know, poo poo happens. Let's just get this over soon. Galick was one of the best....

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 9, 2019

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Ok Imma bump dis so I can finish the third place match on company time next week, or maybe the week after

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I'mma try to run dis tomorrow to finish this

The next season after this will be pay to win and will involve lewd anime. I've learned my lesson as to what keeps a game alive

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I seriously owe you guys a fight next week, and I think I can make it happen

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

are we going to lose DFArena if the forums die :ohdear:

I won't delete it, I have archived the DFArena remotely and locally and cloudaly and all that, but I didn't know if there were any forums drama about Lowtax

I will take what is sure to be an unpopular opinion that maybe he just said the wrong thing to a lady that was just a little too sensitive, but I still believe in women's rights and all that, and he doesn't deserve to be cancelled as long as he didn't hit anydobdy

And black and brown and blue and orange and all lives matter, and whatever your political opinions are, I will take the brave and notorious opinion that you are right about everything, and gently caress that last line of cocaine was too much :(

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
and i still intend to run the last fight, sorry to my fellow Singaporeans for waiting so long :(

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Okay so unfortunately I read up on the forums drama and it really isn't looking good for the guy that founded this site and I'm afraid can't defend him

He may or may not be physically abusive, but it seems that at best he's a dirtbag who cheats on his wife with a mentally ill drug-addled girl half his age whom he manipulates, and I only know this because regrettably I listened to that leaked audio recording that he thought would prove his innocence, but which instead just makes him look bad

Please check the threads in the other forums if you care about this internet soap opera garbage, but I want to keep this thread on the important topic at hand, which is Fortnite

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

RUN DA FIGHT

:effort:

If I run this last team fight sometime during the next week I get to close the thread and the site. I mean we've all moved on. We've all got families, or at least, more important stuff. Deal?

Because running fights is too much work and I can barely be assed to do the job that pays me

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

This tournament has lost momentum at this point, and gently caress it, I'm not setting up DF again, I'm going to abuse my commissioner privilege and run all the remaining fights in AI Dungeon.

Tunicate gets to take this over from now on

verbal enema posted:

i say give it one day and perhaps Jazzimus could take a peek and see why the singles tourney is stuck in updating mode

OK lemme check, it prolly has something to do with TLS certificates

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Goddammit something got hosed up with the database, let me just go and work on it after that half-bottle of scotch, friends

And I intend to do the last team match sometime this week or next... I think the team matches almost killed the thread, they were way interesting and cool but just required too much effort if they are going to be effortposted, these 1v1 matches are the way to go from now on.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Okay I think I fixed it Tunicate, and it's probably the fault of my lovely hosting

If you can't start the next round, Spermy, I, or ZeeToo can

and when I blame my lovely hosting I'm blaming them for not implementing ACID transactions on what I thought was a transaction safe database, but it was probably running an older version of that open source software... dammit, let's just get this over with

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I'll try to fix the problems issues with the site this weekend. But as life moves on, I just may be pressed for the best of personkind whomst need to repurpose the website that we all use to synergize my workshop's ability to interface drilling down into the data lakes that keep us woke as our corporation pretends to care about social justice issues to increase revenue from consumers whomst pretend that they are communist whilst the beer just gets weaker via dilution. Stay tuned, grand finale up ahead!

Your understanding is appreciated.

AI was not involved in the creation of this post.