Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

What if you could make humans literally incapable of hatred with no other effects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

What if you could make humans literally incapable of hatred with no other effects?
Rule by psychopaths who still have a dispassionate lust for power, but without the hatred needed for the occasional revolution against them.

What if the Torres Strait had a land bridge?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Guavanaut posted:

Rule by psychopaths who still have a dispassionate lust for power, but without the hatred needed for the occasional revolution against them.

People kill each other all the time without needing to hate the other person though...?

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Much better to make people incapable of deception. That would clean up just about every problem. But still be capable of skepticism so we don't end up like those Galaxy Quest aliens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Phyzzle posted:

What if South America hosed South Africa?

Presumably mass suicide in Panama while Suez starts importing massive amounts of (now more accessible) cocaine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably mass suicide in Panama while Suez starts importing massive amounts of (now more accessible) cocaine.
All the coca in Peru would die at that latitude though, which means Central Africa or Indochina would probably take over growing it.

Argentina would start a territory war with South Africa over the Prince Edward Islands.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

What if Yitzhak Rabin hadn't been assassinated and there had been continuing meaningful progress made on Israeli-Palestinian peace agreements and possible even the establishment and recognition of the state of Palestine?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

What if Mr Rogers was still alive?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What if FDR survived to push and pass his Second Bill of Rights?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
What if we took control of the NSA and used it to track down and deal with every ancap and ever dark enlightenment creature?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Fojar38 posted:

Doubt North America would respond well to being cucked by a black continent.

Someone write a novel, I'll start the wiki.

Cucktinent.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

War and mass murder would just come out of perceived utility.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What if Bush listened to Cheney and actually invaded Iran... I wonder what the world would like with oil at $300/barrel.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tab8715 posted:

What if Bush listened to Cheney and actually invaded Iran... I wonder what the world would like with oil at $300/barrel.

Well we'd control 90% of the oil in the middle east so OPEC would be dead, or our rivals.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the Sasol slurry process would be profitable with out at that price, so South Africa would be a petrostate and Montana would have gone ahead with that Sasol contract to build plants there.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
My favorite counter-factual is JFK not being assassinated and pulling the US out of Vietnam, then handing off the baton to RFK who beats the dogshit out of Goldwater in 68 and Nixon in 72. So much bad, crazy poo poo could've been avoided.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Zeroisanumber posted:

My favorite counter-factual is JFK not being assassinated and pulling the US out of Vietnam, then handing off the baton to RFK who beats the dogshit out of Goldwater in 68 and Nixon in 72. So much bad, crazy poo poo could've been avoided.

I'm with you there, mostly, only I'm fine (hypothetically) with JFK getting shot as long as RFK survives the Ambassador Hotel. LBJ had some good moments that I'd like to keep. After all, I can't be the only person uncomfortable with the thought of a pill popping sex addict with a serious medical issue having his finger on the nuclear button.

Mayor Dave fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 20, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Mayor Dave posted:

I'm with you there, mostly, only I'm fine (hypothetically) with JFK getting shot as long as RFK survives the Ambassador Hotel. LBJ had some good moments that I'd like to keep. After all, I can't be the only person uncomfortable with the thought of a pill popping sex addict with a serious medical issue having his finger on the nuclear button.

If the Cuban Missile Crisis isn't enough evidence that your fears are misplaced, I'm not sure anything could convince you otherwise.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mayor Dave posted:

After all, I can't be the only person uncomfortable with the thought of a pill popping sex addict with a serious medical issue having his finger on the nuclear button.

Nah. JFK never trusted anyone in his military command after the Cuban Missile Crisis. He personally thought that LeMay was completely insane.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

He personally thought that LeMay was completely insane.

He's not wrong.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
some hot bill on hillary action

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What if John Kerry had become president in 2005?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

a new jerusalem...

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

McDowell posted:

This is the case with syphilis.

The Columbian Exchange: smallpox for syphilis

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DrSunshine posted:

The Democrats would've gotten the blame for things turning to poo poo in Iraq and for the Great Recession. The Tea Party might never have coalesced, but you can bet your rear end he'd be a 1-termer with either McCain or Romney taking the presidency in 2008. The Dems would be locked out of the halls of power until at least 2016.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Democrats would've gotten the blame for things turning to poo poo in Iraq and for the Great Recession. The Tea Party might never have coalesced, but you can bet your rear end he'd be a 1-termer with either McCain or Romney taking the presidency in 2008. The Dems would be locked out of the halls of power until at least 2016.

yeah right before the surge Kerry probably would have pulled out and towed the party line. Then Ol' Public Functionary would lead us out of the dark ages.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's even worse, if you remember that was John Edwards's last hurrah before 2008 and then his Macbethian affair with a witch-lady over his cancer-stricken wife being revealed. It felt horrible then, but Kerry might have been a disaster for the Democratic Party.

LeoMarr posted:

yeah right before the surge Kerry probably would have pulled out and towed the party line. Then Ol' Public Functionary would lead us out of the dark ages.

The lack of the surge surely would have kept Iraq in poo poo (not because it was effective, just that Iraq was destabilized and the surge disguised some of that), and the Right Wing Media would be howling about how Kerry lost us another war by pulling out too soon like Vietnam. He loses 2008, and with the Arab Spring then happening in 2010, they would have crowed about being right about their domino theory.

Deal with it, libs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-z2D9lo9-8

foobardog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 20, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What if the TSA had never been formed and we could bring water and other beverages through airport security?

What if the war on drugs never happened and the USA incarceration rate was on par with other first world nations?

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What if Ayn Rand had been a actually good writer? What if Hitler had been exactly the same politically but also a artistic genius of modernist art par exellence? What if Lenin had lived a extremely long and healthy life?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What if Space Shuttle Colombia hadn't exploded?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Demiurge4 posted:

What if Space Shuttle Colombia hadn't exploded?

NASA would have never fed the fish

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
NASA would have kept on sending up the same outdated shuttles until one of the other ones did.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What if Richard Feynman didn't take the bait for the O ring thing.

Tholias
Jun 8, 2012
What if Martha Coakley had defeated Scott Brown in Mass. 2009 Senate race, in regards to the ACA (Obamacare).

Tholias fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 21, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What if Joe Lieberman was not in the way of a single-payer option

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What if Obama declares that he was a secret kenyean muslim after all the day after his term ends?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What if Huey Long had survived his assassination?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Presumably he would have still reamed the NASA administration for their lack of engineering/scientific rigor.

WHAT IF... John Hinkley Jr. had been a better shot?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What do you mean by this? I know Feynman was the guy that dropped an O-ring into some icewater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

gradenko_2000 posted:

What do you mean by this? I know Feynman was the guy that dropped an O-ring into some icewater.

It's been a while since I read up on it, so I'm probably off base here, but I got the impression that there were people who knew exactly why the rocket failed, and that it was the O-ring. But for political reasons, they needed an outside person to 'discover' it, and Feynman being a celebrity genius made it even better. So they sorta led him to the answer.

Edit: Kutyna to be specific.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 21, 2015

• Locked thread