Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What if the F-35 turns out to be a really good airplane that successfully meets the requirements of all of its roles?

Hold up there man.

or Gore winning in 2000, Hilter winning WW2, Neil Armstrong announcing that he's gay on the moon at least has some possibility happening on some timeline.

The F-35 actually being great is going over the line here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
What if the Soviets had loosened price controls in the late 1960s?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

gradenko_2000 posted:

In our reality, America won the Cold War, the Soviet Union collapsed under the weight of unsustainable Communism, and became a lovely capitalist country with a mean authoritarian streak.

What would a "the Soviet Union wins the Cold War" scenario look like? How does the United States "collapse" via political and socioeconomic turmoil without the Soviet Union ever having fired a shot in anger?

I don't think America would collapse the same way the soviet union did in our reality, a lot of factors would make that unlikely. It's probable that America would just sort of revert back to isolationist policies like it did pre WW1 and 2 and not have the same effect on the world stage as it once did.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Actually, what if Reptilians really are controlling the world, and it gets revealed at some point?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Time to stock up on theophylline and theobromine?

I can't think of much that is broad spectrum toxic against reptiles that isn't also poisonous to humans and important mammals.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I can't think of much that is broad spectrum toxic against reptiles that isn't also poisonous to humans and important mammals.

I hadn't just assumed we would kill them, though that is likely.

I know the human being and fish reptile can coexist peacefully.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What if Napoleon had been on La Perouse's expedition, and had died in the Pacific in 1788?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

This is obviously why they changed Cadbury's to be manky American chocolate, they're making it into lizard chocolate.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

What if the Spanish Armada did better in 1588 than it did, would there be a Spanish Empire instead of a British one?

What if Americans knew anything about Latin America or Europe (or South-East Asia or India or Africa)?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guavanaut posted:

Global warming is a plot by the cold blooded. Their footsoldiers are too weak in the temperate climates of our main power centers. Only through fighting climate change can we stop the inevitable reptilian invasion.

Let's get this meme going and get the infowars crazies on the right side of the climate change debate for hilariously wrong reasons.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trent posted:

Global warming is a plot by the cold blooded. Their footsoldiers are too weak in the temperate climates of our main power centers. Only through fighting climate change can we stop the inevitable reptilian invasion.

Let's get this meme going and get the infowars crazies on the right side of the climate change debate for hilariously wrong reasons.

Pretty sure that was the endgame in War with the Newts.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

What if Ford won in 1976 and Callaghan called an election in 1978, before the Winter of Discontent?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
The Campaign Trail generator is fairly good. Lets you replay the 1896, 1968,2000, and 2012 elections.

http://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/

Here's some results

2000: played as Bush with Powell as a running mate, ran fully to the center and refused to attack Gore, promised mild tax cuts on the middle class, praised Clinton's actions in Serbia, ran on a platform of moderation and working across-the-aisle. Won a fairly large lead of 352 EV's.

1968: Ran a Humphrey/Kennedy anti-war ticket, got 372 EV's. I'm not sure if this can be considered "clean" seeing as I got a big boost at the end from exposing Nixon's sabotage of Vietnamese peace talks.

Venomous posted:

What if Ford won in 1976 and Callaghan called an election in 1978, before the Winter of Discontent?

Whatever party won in '76 was not going to win the White House in 1980. Also, Ford would be stuck dealing with a Democratic controlled Congress. Then again Carter -even with a Democratic Congress- managed to make his own party hate him.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 1, 2015

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

What if Canada had rebelled along with the Thirteen Colonies?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
What if the American Revolution had failed? Would the US still be a british colony or would it have broke off on its own eventually.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

What if the American Revolution had failed? Would the US still be a british colony or would it have broke off on its own eventually.

Probably would have simply been a member of the Commonwealth. Maybe Canada would have never been a separate political entity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Would it have expanded west of the Appalachians?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nckdictator posted:

The Campaign Trail generator is fairly good. Lets you replay the 1896, 1968,2000, and 2012 elections.

http://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/

Here's some results

2000: played as Bush with Powell as a running mate, ran fully to the center and refused to attack Gore, promised mild tax cuts on the middle class, praised Clinton's actions in Serbia, ran on a platform of moderation and working across-the-aisle. Won a fairly large lead of 352 EV's.

1968: Ran a Humphrey/Kennedy anti-war ticket, got 372 EV's. I'm not sure if this can be considered "clean" seeing as I got a big boost at the end from exposing Nixon's sabotage of Vietnamese peace talks.

Whatever party won in '76 was not going to win the White House in 1980. Also, Ford would be stuck dealing with a Democratic controlled Congress. Then again Carter -even with a Democratic Congress- managed to make his own party hate him.

lmbo this thing is great, I played Romney and gave the most left-wing answer for everything, but I guess nobody was convinced :allears:

e; after replying several times with "What were you thinking? You just alienated half the republicans in the country!" my advisers just gave up and I didn't get any more responses to what I said from them

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Won as Gore-Liebermann in 2000 by making a nonstop Great Lakes tour with trips down to Florida.

Took one look at 1968 and gave up.

Tried to turn McKinley into Eugene V. Debs, failed miserably.

I hope they add more, it's a fun game and would make a great teaching tool!

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
It is super fun. Just for kicks I'm playing as Wallace and trying to prevent an electoral college majority in 1968. Its fricking impossible even on easy. Anybody succeed?

Trying to elect The Great Commoner in 1896 is a challenge too.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Yadoppsi posted:

It is super fun. Just for kicks I'm playing as Wallace and trying to prevent an electoral college majority in 1968. Its fricking impossible even on easy. Anybody succeed?

Trying to elect The Great Commoner in 1896 is a challenge too.

It's possible on easy, at least: just remember: your objective isn't to win states completely, but to stop Humphrey and Nixon from winning the 270 seats they need. Focus on playing spoiler in swing states in this era Texas is a swing state and be a "moderate segregationist".

Here's some help: http://i.imgur.com/Y6EcKQf.png

As for Bryan, I haven't won yet (lost by 2 EV) but it seems to be really important to take into account the distributions of EV at that time. Illinois is way more important than you think.

Inspired by this game: what if Nixon/Reagan had tried to win their respective elections without using the Southern Strategy as overtly as they did (e.g. Reagan doesn't give a speech in the town that lynched civil rights workers), suggesting that segregation was outside the realm of acceptable federal political discourse?

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 2, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guavanaut posted:

Would it have expanded west of the Appalachians?

A lot of that land was actually claimed by Britain at the time so at the very least there would be more commonwealth nations there in all likelihood.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Isentropy posted:

Inspired by this game: what if Nixon/Reagan had tried to win their respective elections without using the Southern Strategy as overtly as they did (e.g. Reagan doesn't give a speech in the town that lynched civil rights workers), suggesting that segregation was outside the realm of acceptable federal political discourse?

I actually managed to win as Nixon/Agnew without doing that, I think. I took the "moderate" law-and-order tack, spoke against segregation and miscegenation laws but also busing, and had an attack of conscience and let the peace talks succeed. Cost my Pennsylvania, but I got New York and Michigan.

computer parts posted:

A lot of that land was actually claimed by Britain at the time so at the very least there would be more commonwealth nations there in all likelihood.

Britain was very slow in allowing settlement into it because of Indian politics- that's part of what led to the revolution, that we were denied our "prize" of the Ohio River Valley.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Finally got Byran elected on normal. I went moderate on silver and temperance and as pro-union as I could.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Kavak posted:

I actually managed to win as Nixon/Agnew without doing that, I think. I took the "moderate" law-and-order tack, spoke against segregation and miscegenation laws but also busing, and had an attack of conscience and let the peace talks succeed. Cost my Pennsylvania, but I got New York and Michigan.

My most surprising Nixon win used the same strategy although I did sabotage the peace talks, which allowed me to win Texas and Michigan:

Nixon: 431
Humphrey: 54
Wallace: 53

By contrast, I managed to make limited in-roads into the South with McKinley (won Virginia somehow).

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

What if the Baltics pitched in and bought Britain's about-to-be-retired Trident sub? Or better yet, invested in building land-based nukes. Will keep Russia making GBS threads their pants and away forever.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Reading up about the ISS I wondered what would have happened if, instead of the Cold War, the two superpowers of the world actually co-operated with each other and did some more cool stuff like that instead.
Avoiding to Khrushchev's son, Kennedy had privately discussed his concerns over the cost of the Apollo program and proposed a joint US-Soviet moon landing, and Khrushchev's intention to accept the offer was cut short by Kennedy's assassination.

You can never be sure with things like this, but a lone gunman may have prolonged the Cold War for decades

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

GWBBQ posted:

Avoiding to Khrushchev's son, Kennedy had privately discussed his concerns over the cost of the Apollo program and proposed a joint US-Soviet moon landing, and Khrushchev's intention to accept the offer was cut short by Kennedy's assassination.

You can never be sure with things like this, but a lone gunman may have prolonged the Cold War for decades

That would be fairly difficult to happen for a very simple reason: the first step. The airlock of a spacecraft would have to be large enough for both astro/cosmonauts to step out at the same time, because neither country is going to want to be the second person on the moon. Then there's also the interesting idea that the USSR might choose a woman cosmonaut; imagine an American man and Soviet woman, or American woman and Soviet man being the first on the moon. I imagine either would make huge butterflies socially.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nckdictator posted:

That would be fairly difficult to happen for a very simple reason: the first step. The airlock of a spacecraft would have to be large enough for both astro/cosmonauts to step out at the same time, because neither country is going to want to be the second person on the moon. Then there's also the interesting idea that the USSR might choose a woman cosmonaut; imagine an American man and Soviet woman, or American woman and Soviet man being the first on the moon. I imagine either would make huge butterflies socially.

Wait nine months and the latter will solve the former.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nckdictator posted:

The airlock of a spacecraft would have to be large enough for both astro/cosmonauts to step out at the same time,

You could probably solve that with an extended ladder rung at the bottom. The two astro/cosmonauts climb down, one at a time, stand side by side on the bottom and then both jump into the powdery soil that swallows them up like quicksand.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's one small step for mans, one giant leap for manskind.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Guavanaut posted:

That's one small step for mans, one giant leap for manskind.

Sorta related: https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html

"One small step for a white, a giant step for whitekind."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What if we'd kept wepman and wifman as in the Old English recorded at Lindisfarne instead of man and woman, and had man being gender neutral?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
What If: Poland and the Soviet Union avoid war in 1920 and Poland enters into the Soviet sphere of influence before 1939, forming an alliance out of desperation. Does Germany give up on the land corridor to Prussia until it's ready for Operation Barbarossa? Does the USSR pressure Poland into giving Germany Danzig? Do Poland and the USSR go to war with Germany? If so, what do the Allies do, now that Poland is an ally of the USSR?

wiregrind
Jun 26, 2013

what if the US didn't sponsor monstrous right-wing dictatorships all over south america during the cold war?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

wiregrind posted:

what if the US didn't sponsor monstrous right-wing dictatorships all over south america during the cold war?

We'd all be speaking Russian, comrade :ussr:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mister Adequate posted:

What if Canada had rebelled along with the Thirteen Colonies?

Quebec, which at this point was Canada, had a pretty good deal under the Quebec Act and didn't have much reason to join the Catholic-hating, puritanical Northerners or the slave-holding South. Those factors, combined with the Continental Congress invading at the first opportunity, severely hindered any cooperation between the revolutionaries and the Quebecois. To make rebellion seem like a viable option, you would need to either make the situation under the Crown intolerable, or the Americans much more attractive. If you make the situation in Quebec intolerable, possibly by undoing the Quebec Act, then the Patriots lose a motivating factor in their rebellion. Much of the rebellion's early outrage was driven by indignation that the Catholics up north were receiving money and land at the expense of good, Christian New Englanders. To make the Americans more attractive allies, you probably need to diminish the rampant anti-Catholicism, which itself is difficult to accomplish.

Had Quebec somehow rebelled, it probably wouldn't have stayed with the rest of the American states for long. Even forgetting the religious issues, there's a substantial language barrier between the average Quebecois and average American. Depending on who manages the ship after Quebec leaves, the region might either go independent or drift back toward the French sphere.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Depends on what sort of peace the British enforce on the Americans. If the British reach terms with the Americans, pardon most of its perpetrators, and concede some of the demands made in the Olive Branch petition, there's a good chance that the colonies are contented and remain within the British sphere for the foreseeable future. If the war ends with Washington, Adams, and Jefferson being executed for treason, military occupation, and a continuation of heavy taxes, then things are likely to get very messy the moment the British look weak. There's a good chance that the colonies see another, more radical revolution within a few decades led by men like Andrew Jackson.

One indirect effect is that the French Revolution loses one of its main inspirations. Another possible consequence is that the British become so bogged down in North America that they neglect consolidating their hold in regions like India. There's simply not enough resources in the Empire to expand all its dominions.

Most historic events seemed to have played out the same way with out without some historical figures involved, but what if the Spanish Armada did better in 1588 than it did, would there be a Spanish Empire instead of a British one?

There already was a Spanish Empire, and it had conquered a huge swath of the earth.

Elizabeth is executed and Philip's daughter, Isabella, probably winds up Queen. London winds up under military occupation until the regime gains legitimacy or Spain loses interest. England is slightly less prestigious, and the monarchy is slightly more Spanish, but England is not left as an occupied client of Spain into perpetuity.

What if the Moon landing, marking a decisive victory in the space race, would have failed? Would the world powers had (tense?) double their efforts to land on the moon, or abandon the idea?

Richard Nixon awkwardly reads his prepared speech, In Event of a Moon Disaster. Based on personal experience, I can only imagine the Americans redoubling their efforts, if only to collect the bodies.

What if more of the actual teachings of Jesus had been preserved? Would we be closer to Buddhist spirituality today?

Why would the Jewish Jesus make Buddhist teachings?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Richard Nixon awkwardly reads his prepared speech, In Event of a Moon Disaster. Based on personal experience, I can only imagine the Americans redoubling their efforts, if only to collect the bodies.

And then the Soviets beat them to the moon, and Moscow is nuked 5 minutes after Yuri Gagarin sets foot on the moon and proclaims "The main human strength is willpower!".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Didn't the USSR's moon lander explode on the launch pad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

Didn't the USSR's moon lander explode on the launch pad

It did, but lol if you think a few dead cosmonauts and explosions would have stopped the Soviets.

• Locked thread