Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
The US really needs a second Constitutional Convention, because the views on what the federal government and what "America" is has changed so greatly from the original one. My fantasy is that it happens and doesn't end up a total shitshow/civil war. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Baudolino posted:

What if Bill Clinton had been sucessfully impeached?

Technically the "impeachment" part is being put on trial, so he was impeached, he was just acquitted. I don't know if being president for 1999-2000 would have helped or hurt Gore, though.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Democrats would've gotten the blame for things turning to poo poo in Iraq and for the Great Recession. The Tea Party might never have coalesced, but you can bet your rear end he'd be a 1-termer with either McCain or Romney taking the presidency in 2008. The Dems would be locked out of the halls of power until at least 2016.

It's even worse, if you remember that was John Edwards's last hurrah before 2008 and then his Macbethian affair with a witch-lady over his cancer-stricken wife being revealed. It felt horrible then, but Kerry might have been a disaster for the Democratic Party.

LeoMarr posted:

yeah right before the surge Kerry probably would have pulled out and towed the party line. Then Ol' Public Functionary would lead us out of the dark ages.

The lack of the surge surely would have kept Iraq in poo poo (not because it was effective, just that Iraq was destabilized and the surge disguised some of that), and the Right Wing Media would be howling about how Kerry lost us another war by pulling out too soon like Vietnam. He loses 2008, and with the Arab Spring then happening in 2010, they would have crowed about being right about their domino theory.

Deal with it, libs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-z2D9lo9-8

foobardog fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 20, 2015

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Actually, what if Reptilians really are controlling the world, and it gets revealed at some point?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Time to stock up on theophylline and theobromine?

I can't think of much that is broad spectrum toxic against reptiles that isn't also poisonous to humans and important mammals.

I hadn't just assumed we would kill them, though that is likely.

I know the human being and fish reptile can coexist peacefully.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

QuoProQuid posted:

Richard Nixon awkwardly reads his prepared speech, In Event of a Moon Disaster. Based on personal experience, I can only imagine the Americans redoubling their efforts, if only to collect the bodies.

And then the Soviets beat them to the moon, and Moscow is nuked 5 minutes after Yuri Gagarin sets foot on the moon and proclaims "The main human strength is willpower!".

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

Didn't the USSR's moon lander explode on the launch pad

It did, but lol if you think a few dead cosmonauts and explosions would have stopped the Soviets.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

LeoMarr posted:

Yeah but it caused the largest conventional explosion in human history so I'd say they were set back slightly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N1_(rocket)

Looking at that, the next launch was 2 years later in 1971, while the next Apollo was later in 1969, so you're probably right. I actually didn't know about the N1 explosion.

I just want to have my Vengeful Nixon headcanon, OK?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

IIRC the one guy that survived was an officer who left the safety perimeter to smoke a cigarette behind a concrete bunker. I may be confusing that with another Soviet rocket disaster though.

Smoking saves lives! :confuoot:

He's right up there with Stanislav Petrov, who saved the world because he correctly figured that a nuclear missile report was just a false alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

System Metternich posted:

What if anime was real? What if Pokémon were real? What if Geodude was real, and strong, and my friend?

Human beings would never have evolved in a world with Pokémon. The predators we had to deal with are powerful, but group tactics and crazy endurance won out (As well a willingness to eat a lot of different things).

There is plenty of evidence that at least some Pokémon if not all of them have human level intelligence.

Imagine a pikachu Thunder Shocking a human body -- forever.

• Locked thread