Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

What if Canada had rebelled along with the Thirteen Colonies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Nckdictator posted:

The Campaign Trail generator is fairly good. Lets you replay the 1896, 1968,2000, and 2012 elections.

http://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/

Here's some results

2000: played as Bush with Powell as a running mate, ran fully to the center and refused to attack Gore, promised mild tax cuts on the middle class, praised Clinton's actions in Serbia, ran on a platform of moderation and working across-the-aisle. Won a fairly large lead of 352 EV's.

1968: Ran a Humphrey/Kennedy anti-war ticket, got 372 EV's. I'm not sure if this can be considered "clean" seeing as I got a big boost at the end from exposing Nixon's sabotage of Vietnamese peace talks.

Whatever party won in '76 was not going to win the White House in 1980. Also, Ford would be stuck dealing with a Democratic controlled Congress. Then again Carter -even with a Democratic Congress- managed to make his own party hate him.

lmbo this thing is great, I played Romney and gave the most left-wing answer for everything, but I guess nobody was convinced :allears:

e; after replying several times with "What were you thinking? You just alienated half the republicans in the country!" my advisers just gave up and I didn't get any more responses to what I said from them

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

hakimashou posted:

What if America had spent the years after world war two stockpiling nuclear weapons to eradicate the soviet union in one fell swoop?

And then forbidden all other countries to research nuclear weapons on pain of eradication.

What then?

The former was considered, but judged not worth the damage. There was definitely a period where it would have been viable to attempt in the late 40s, inasmuch as the Soviets either had no nukes of their own or so few they could be survived. The latter, I don't know, presumably everyone else would have tried to get nukes on the sly, and when this was discovered the yanks would have had to decide whether to make good on their threats.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What if agricultural hierarchical societies never supplanted hunter-gatherers?

Then we'd probably still be hunter-gatherers. The mode of development seems to require adoption of agricultural societies, and the very things that make agriculture potent are what allow extended hierarchies, and ones which persist through multiple generations, to form.

• Locked thread