Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What if...
...Obama minited a trillion dollar platinum coin?
...The House of Representatives voted to expel the freedom caucus in order to avoid a default?
...A member of the Supreme Court retires and Obama nominates himself to fill the role?

Crazy stuff happens in politics, and sometimes there are ideas that seem pretty implausible, but they're still really fun to think about. The crazy thing though, is a few years ago we could laugh about questions like "What if Eric Cantor loses in the Primary to a Tea Party candidate" or "What would happen if we defaulted on the debt?" or "What if Donald Trump ran for President?"

If I ever need to cheer myself up, I like to imagine a world where the next President is able to successfully get Obama onto the Supreme Court. Can you imagine it, a world where Obama never goes away, not quite President For Life, but close. Medical science is amazing these days too, the guy could live to 100.

What are your political fantasies (and nightmares)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What if a cook at Tortilla Coast comes into work sick with the Flu?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

JT Jag posted:

Gore became President in 2001, America didn't squander its post-9-11 international goodwill by unilaterally going into Iraq, the US cooperates with the government of Pakistan to capture Bin Ladin nearly a decade earlier, Hillary Clinton is elected in 2008, she passes universal healthcare, and Barack Obama is the prohibitive favorite for the nomination in 2016. There are six Democratic Supreme Court Justices and three Republicans.

Sorta like this:

U.S. Commemorates 9/11 By Toasting Stable Afghan Government From Top Of Freedom Tower

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What if Viking explorers accidentally spread smallpox to North America 500 years earlier, leading to a somewhat disease resistant native population in the 1500's

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What if Richard Feynman didn't take the bait for the O ring thing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

gradenko_2000 posted:

What do you mean by this? I know Feynman was the guy that dropped an O-ring into some icewater.

It's been a while since I read up on it, so I'm probably off base here, but I got the impression that there were people who knew exactly why the rocket failed, and that it was the O-ring. But for political reasons, they needed an outside person to 'discover' it, and Feynman being a celebrity genius made it even better. So they sorta led him to the answer.

Edit: Kutyna to be specific.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 21, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What if the F-35 turns out to be a really good airplane that successfully meets the requirements of all of its roles?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What if either Ambassador Stevens or Vilerat had made it out of Benghazi alive?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nckdictator posted:

The airlock of a spacecraft would have to be large enough for both astro/cosmonauts to step out at the same time,

You could probably solve that with an extended ladder rung at the bottom. The two astro/cosmonauts climb down, one at a time, stand side by side on the bottom and then both jump into the powdery soil that swallows them up like quicksand.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Guavanaut posted:

That's one small step for mans, one giant leap for manskind.

Sorta related: https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html

"One small step for a white, a giant step for whitekind."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What if we gave up after Apollo 1.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
What if Martin O'malley somehow wins the debate tonight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I remember there being some proposals to use the threat of nuclear attack to force the Soviet Union into accepting the Baruch Plan.
A more aggressive proposal assumed the Soviets wouldn't accept the plan even under threat of nuclear attack, so might as well strike. And there's no benefit from waiting, just nuke Moscow today. Immediately.

• Locked thread