Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

Too bad Kyouko will always return to Yui's mildly aloof embrace. Ayano should make Chitose happier beyond her expectations and be with her.

Chitose has made her preference clear :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

:3:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've had a bunch of free time on my hands for the last few days, and instead of spending it playing video games like a well-adjusted adult, I watched all of this in like four sittings. I'm glad I managed to get it all in a good few hours before midnight, because spending even a second of Christmas Day on a show about gay middle school girls would have been too pathetic.

Would you believe I didn't know it was yuri until like an hour before I started watching it? 100% true.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

because spending even a second of Christmas Day on a show about gay middle school girls would have been too pathetic.

Yeah, play Turok: Dinosaur Hunter instead. That's at least what I'm doing right now.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Good suggestion, but I'm thinking I'll write an essay on the nihilistic undertones of Yuriyurarararayuruyuri Daijiken, particularly the parallelism "sakura saki / sakura chiri" - an obvious reflection on the ephemerality of life.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I shouldn't shitpost. I actually really like this show. I want to get mad at it for Akane, and Sakurako's one repeated boob joke, and Chizuru's thing for Chitose, and Chinatsu's worst scenes with Akari, and the like five or six different bathing scenes, but even when it's doing those things it's so good-natured about it that I'd feel bad being too harsh. Even though that sounds like a lot of things now that I list them all.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

as far as gross anime bullshit goes the amount yuruyuri has is pretty small. i appreciate that its not super fanservicey-- probably helps at least a little that it was made by a woman.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 24, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That doesn't really mean anything, the author of Saki is a woman who loves boobs and fanservice.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I like how Saki has been on the same match for 2 years now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Largepotato posted:

Saki:that loving match::Guts:the loving boat

Yea, though, I was surprised to not find this show full of gross when I first watched it. I agree with most of the fanservicey bits that aren't just pure jokes like Chinatsu's hilarious fantasies all are written from a more 'good place' than other animes do it. Like, there are a ton of ways 'Sakurako is jealous of her friend/crush's breasts and constantly busts her balls about it' could have been done real real bad, but instead for basically all of them it comes from a more organic feeling place where both of them are kinda the butt of the joke. Plus I guess they get a pass for being the third best couple under Ayano and Kyoko and the Explosion Buddies. The only real 'oh, man gently caress anime' stuff is Akari's sister, and even then at least the point of those gags is 'look at this loving creepy nutjob with the hosed up sister complex'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akari's is sister can still be redeemed by Chinatsu's sister.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Largepotato posted:

It's the fate of all Mahjong manga

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Saki:that loving match::Guts:the loving boat

Yea, though, I was surprised to not find this show full of gross when I first watched it. I agree with most of the fanservicey bits that aren't just pure jokes like Chinatsu's hilarious fantasies all are written from a more 'good place' than other animes do it. Like, there are a ton of ways 'Sakurako is jealous of her friend/crush's breasts and constantly busts her balls about it' could have been done real real bad, but instead for basically all of them it comes from a more organic feeling place where both of them are kinda the butt of the joke. Plus I guess they get a pass for being the third best couple under Ayano and Kyoko and the Explosion Buddies. The only real 'oh, man gently caress anime' stuff is Akari's sister, and even then at least the point of those gags is 'look at this loving creepy nutjob with the hosed up sister complex'.

um sorry but saku and hima are the best couple by virtue of total canon

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Hang on, I forgot one complaint: I'm also pretty suspicious of how Nishigaki acts toward Matsumoto. But I really like both those characters. poo poo. I don't know how they do it, and I hope their technology doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Now that that's out of the way, I have some actual nice things to say: Ayano's puns and "always calling Kyoko by her full name" thing genuinely never got old. The jokes about Sakurako's character amnesia were all gold and I would probably watch a show that was nothing but that for 12 episodes and like it. Nadeshiko is great in all three scenes she's in and I wish she had been a more major character. And it's not at all an original thought, but it's worth repeating that the opening to season 3 episode 8 is fantastic.

Also, I appreciate the subtitle "Happy Go Lily". That's very strong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FractalSandwich posted:

Hang on, I forgot one complaint: I'm also pretty suspicious of how Nishigaki acts toward Matsumoto. But I really like both those characters. poo poo. I don't know how they do it, and I hope their technology doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

Now that that's out of the way, I have some actual nice things to say: Ayano's puns and "always calling Kyoko by her full name" thing genuinely never got old. The jokes about Sakurako's character amnesia were all gold and I would probably watch a show that was nothing but that for 12 episodes and like it. Nadeshiko is great in all three scenes she's in and I wish she had been a more major character. And it's not at all an original thought, but it's worth repeating that the opening to season 3 episode 8 is fantastic.

Also, I appreciate the subtitle "Happy Go Lily". That's very strong.

Please do not imply there's anything wrong with the Explosion Friends they are basically perfect.

Also yea of all of them Ayano's little character quirks are probably the most consistently fun, mainly because everyone else acknowledges them in different ways like Yui losing her poo poo for the puns and stuff like Sakurako stealing her "TOSHINO KYOKO" thing when imitating her.

Speaking of Nadeshiko being great isn't there a spinoff focusing on Sakurako and her sisters? Is that worth looking at? Never got around to checking that out.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Speaking of Nadeshiko being great isn't there a spinoff focusing on Sakurako and her sisters? Is that worth looking at? Never got around to checking that out.

Yeah, it's good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Sakurako's sisters spin off kept making references to the older one going out with someone but never saying who, I could never work out whether it was supposed to be a mystery or it was something from bits of the Yuru Yuri manga that wasn't translated/I haven't read.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sakurazuka posted:

The Sakurako's sisters spin off kept making references to the older one going out with someone but never saying who, I could never work out whether it was supposed to be a mystery or it was something from bits of the Yuru Yuri manga that wasn't translated/I haven't read.

Considering she has a phonecall with a female 'friend' in the anime and she's all 'aw geeze don't talk about how fun it was to sleep in my bed with me you're embarrassing me' and it made some other character listening in go all 'oh poo poo Sakurako is your sister super gay' I think they're doing all they can to say 'she has a girlfriend' without actually overtly saying it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Mystery, I think. Everyone has their own theory as to which of her friends is actually her girlfriend.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Please do not imply there's anything wrong with the Explosion Friends they are basically perfect.

there is one small bit where they imply they're More Than Just Explosion Friends which is skeevy but thats it. in my mind their relationship is platonic and pure and perfect.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yeah it's good, and you can read all that's translated in like a couple hours

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I'm seriously considering rewatching all Yuru Yuri seasons over the next couple of days.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

you should probably do it then, spend your merry chrismasu with the cast of yuruyuri just like me

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I wish I could do that. drat you family obligations

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I'm seriously considering rewatching all Yuru Yuri seasons over the next couple of days.
It's only pathetic if you do it on exactly the 25th. Once it's 00:01 on Boxing Day you can do whatever you want again.

The song lied to you - 100% CHUgakusei is definitely beyond the pale, but anything up to 99.726% is fine.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I haven't started yet... but I will soon.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

It's only pathetic if you do it on exactly the 25th. Once it's 00:01 on Boxing Day you can do whatever you want again.

The song lied to you - 100% CHUgakusei is definitely beyond the pale, but anything up to 99.726% is fine.

why is it pathetic man

some of us don't have any families but animilies

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
no shame if the yuruyuris are your 家族 (kazoku)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

also some people just dont celebrate christmas

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
look, I feel alienated from the international community because Christmas Day was 35C here and I've never seen snow in my life, and I have to take my frustration out on someone

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmmm, all the characters start out a bit rough when compared to the third season.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

the first 4 or so episodes of the first season suck

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

the first 4 or so episodes of the first season suck

nah

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Hmmm, all the characters start out a bit rough when compared to the third season.

characters evolve

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

ayano is my fav but she's pretty one-note early on, i think she had the most development of all the characters in season 3

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea for a long time all Ayano is is

-TOSHINO KYOKO

-Tsundere as gently caress

-Puns

Which are all very fun and good, which is why they continue for the whole show, but they don't really do anything with her but those. Even Chitose gets a bit more fleshing out before she does.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

ayano is my fav but she's pretty one-note early on, i think she had the most development of all the characters in season 3

Yeah, this.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Which are all very fun and good, which is why they continue for the whole show, but they don't really do anything with her but those. Even Chitose gets a bit more fleshing out before she does.
Which is fortunate, because if Chitose had only been her one joke she'd have gotten old real fast. Instead she gets to be The Best Wingman too, and it's fine.

I don't remember her and Ayano high-fiving or fist-bumping even once, which is a tragedy, really.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

my store does not sell rum raisin

rip

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
This show convinced me to try Rum Raisin ice cream.

I've never felt so betrayed by an anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Yes believe in the taste from the lover of Masochist Soda

• Locked thread