Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Player Playtest Packet - 001

Here's an exciting change of pace. Rather than another sneak peek of the upcoming Knight in the Woods adventure, which, to be honest, might not be super exciting while it's being posted in page by page format, I've got something way better to post - the first revision of the player playtest packet that I'm using to run live games.

Included in this first iteration are 5 races, 4 backgrounds, 4 classes, along with default selections of weapons, armour, and equipment.

Download the Playtest Packet 001

Download the Character Sheet

The GM packet will be coming in the very near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
GM Playtest Document Available - 002

A pile of work later, and the GM Playtest is complete, which includes advice on setting up a game, non-combat and combat structure, and a guide for running a game. This is the second of three core playtest documents that will allow you and your friends to actually run a game in Let Thrones Beware.

Next up will be a compilation of combat adversaries, non-combat challenges, and hazards for use in your adventures.

Download the GM documentation here

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Some stuff on Packet 3

Next up for playtest doc release is a packet on hazards, non-combat obstacles, and adversaries. Let's look at adversaries for a moment. Adversaries come in different types:

Minions, who automatically perish after an engagement, but trigger a condition if they win. A sentry minion who loses an engagement dies. Sentry minion that wins triggers an alarm. Minions also have a free 'commanded' ability. A grenadier minion who succeeds in an engagement could trigger an explosive area of effect damaging everyone unlucky enough to be in range.

Standard adversaries are regular foes; high damage, low hp for quick, punishing fights that emphasize tactical play at melee and range. These are the meat of any combat encounter, and generally are the hardest hitters.

Commanders are elite foes that can deal tremendous damage and issue commands to minions once a turn as a free action. There's an incentive to target Commanders first, otherwise the heroes may find themselves in real trouble. Commanders generally have a power that allows them to spawn new minion reinforcements.

Last, Legendary foes need more than damage to beat: e.g. Medusa's reflection in the bronze shield or the fire that was used to seal the Hydra's wounds. Heroes must identify and overcome weakness in order to defeat a legendary foe, and identifying the weakness is a quest unto itself. Kicking down the door and assaulting a Legendary adversary will result in a "heroes wanted" shingle going up at the local inn.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Here's a new playtest packet featuring hazards and adversaries

Hey heroes, exciting news! The Adversary, Obstacle, and Hazard document is done and uploaded, marking the completion of the first full playtest package. It's now possible to run a full introductory adventure using the published materials.

You might want to take a look at this if ...
  • ... you enjoy tactical combat, but dislike having nothing to do in between taking your turns;
  • ... you enjoy gradated success in modern games like Fate and Dungeon World, but want a tactical component to your gameplay;
  • ... you like the character building in D&D 4e, but dislike the item treadmill and fiddly feat choices; and
  • ... you like the elegant dice rolling system of D&D 5e's advantages, but ... 5e

What's included

On the player side, this release includes everything you need for five races (Echthroi, Ipotane, Fey, Formian, and Insectoid), four backgrounds (Criminal, Noble, Merchant, and Guard), and four classes (Knight, Oracle, Rogue, and Hedge Wizard). All this in addition to the combat and skill equipment, competencies, and influences you need to be the shining hero you know yourself to be.

For GMs, this packet includes a host of helpful advice, three different adversary types (brigands, condemned, and criminals), a number of non-combat challenges (as well as an online generator to dynamically create new challenges on the fly), and three different hazards to incorporate into battlefields.

Looking to the future

The next revision (004) is scheduled to include additional competencies and class options (we're ultimately aiming for two distinct archetypes per class), additional adversaries, an expansion of the non-combat challenge system to include actions in the foreground and the background, and a change to the combat power system that will link power effects with non-core skills.

GM Content

Player Content

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 7, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Class Powers Revised: More choices for everyone!

Class powers are a central way for a character to define themselves in Let Thrones Beware. Today's post is look at how I’m revising how players select class powers
for the next playtest.

Old and Busted

A few weeks ago I ran the first playtests for Let Thrones Beware; one of the issues that came up was that players felt constrained. Each class provided two combat powers and one non-combat power, and this combined with a background which gave the opposite. All told, though each character had six powers, in practice, people found that to be too limiting.

(Another tester observation: class/background power assignment meant that every character with the same class and background combination would possess exactly the same toolkit).

It was very obvious from feedback that a new approach was required to ensure that characters are interesting to make and fun to play. Player advancement wasn't covered in our first playtests, though it had always been the plan that as a character advanced in experience, she or he would gain more power options. What this meant was that there was already a body of unpublished class powers.

Which in retrospect made for a rather obvious solution.

New and Shiny

First, I split classes into two archetypes (for rogue, as an example, there is one archetype that focuses on traps and one on feints). Each of these archetypes automatically provides a character with a default power that highlights the archetype's intent, as well as five power additional options that can be selected during character creation and later on as players advance.

Second, I increased the number of combat powers with which a character begins play. Now everyone gets to choose three additional class powers above and beyond the default and the one provided by the background. Players may select from all the optional available powers to their class (including powers from the other archetype, with the exception of the other archetype default power).

Finally, a character receives a special capstone power only available to their archetype when she or he reaches the end of a tier. Presto, classes are immediately more distinct and far more interesting for players to choose between when creating a character. Plus, there's another benefit: two characters with the same class will now play differently.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Play by Post - Adventure Online From Anywhere!

The Play by Post format is a great way to combine pen and paper rpgs with the play-anywhere style of the internet. Sadly, playing online by posting to a message board is a bit more complicated than sitting down in person. Regular pdf and printed sheets don’t work. Everyone hacking at their own best guess to share character status makes things confusing and unwieldy. Fortunately, there’s a solution available!

A BBCode-formatted character sheet for play by post forum games

I’ve created a special BBCode-formatted character sheet. This will allow you to bring the adventures of Let Thrones Beware to your favourite online forum. Simply download the form from the link below, plug in your character’s stats and gear, and off to the races you go.

http://www.letthronesbeware.com/download/play-post-character-sheet/

Name's Character Sheet

pre:
[Character Name]
[Race][Background][Class] [Tier]

Attributes
Str:    X  Frt: X  Prs: X
Rsp:    X  Wit: X
Speed:  X

Essentials
Tier Die     2d6                              HP          Cur/MAX
Initiative   2d6 + Rsp                        Resistance  Cur/MAX
Saving Throw 2d6 + X (hard) / 2d6 + Y (easy)  Reserve     Cur/MAX
Refresh Pool X

Virtues and Flaws
Virtues X,Y,Z
Flaws X, Y, Z
Virtue Track [_][_][_]
Flaw Track [_][_][_]

Species/Background/Class Features
> 1
> 2

Influences
Contact X Inventory Y Research  Z

Weapon
Name, Damage X  Reach Y  Range Z   (*equipped*)
Name, Damage X  Reach Y  Range Z 
> Competency Bonus

Armour
Name, Response X  Resistance Y (*equipped*)
> Competency Bonus

Skill Equipment
Name, Skill Potency X  Type Yyy  Skill Potency Z   (*equipped*)

Combat Powers
Basic Combat Manoeuver - Melee/Ranged (Versatile) - Force Score [Any + 0] Damage 1W [used]

Non-Combat Powers
Tenacious - (Versatile) - Force Score [Any + 0] Damage 1S [used]

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 7, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Playtest 004: It's time to explore Ceyenus

I'm very pleased to announce that the Playtest 004 documents are complete and published! There are many new and exciting things included in this latest iteration of the Let Thrones Beware playtest, and the changes are sure to be a hit at your gaming table.

Playtest Changes

Character Creation

I'm most excited about the pile of new options for character creation; the game's approach to building your character has been significantly revised! Under the 003 rules, your character was completely determined by your choice of species, background, and class. Every character with same three choices would be mechanically identical. Under the newly revised system, your character will select between two different class archetypes, providing you with options to make your experience more diverse. The number of starting powers has also been boosted, and rather than being predetermined, they're now for you to choose. Players now get to choose their starting competency and weaponry, providing even more choice to tailor your character.

Combat Powers

Combat power effects now have an associated secondary attribute, which determines whether the effect triggers or not. This determination is an easy process; simply swap the power's attribute for the secondary, and if your Force Score still exceeds that of your victim, the effect fires. This change is being implemented in order to make stat diversification a more attractive alternative to focusing entirely on a single stat.

You might want to take a look at this if...

• ... you enjoy tactical combat, but dislike having nothing to do in between taking your turns;
  • ... you enjoy gradated success in modern games like Fate and Dungeon World, but want a tactical component to your gameplay;
  • ... you like the character building of D&D 4e, but dislike the item treadmill and fiddly feat choices; and
  • ... you like the elegant dice rolling system of D&D 5e's advantages, but want a game with more parity between choices.

Downloads

Download the GM content for Playtest 004 here.
Download the Player content for Playtest 004 here.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Playtest 004 Errata

Whoops. These definitions were missing from the playtest packet.

Armour attributes

Response
Heavier armour slows you down, imposing a penalty to your Response score.

Resistance
Resistance indicates the number of points of damage that your armour can prevent over the course of a combat. Each time you cancel a point of damage, your armour’s resistance is decreased by one. At the end of a fight, your armour’s resistance is reset to its original value.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Playtest 5: How the Campaign Cycle Pulls Your Game Together

With playtest 4 out the door, it’s time to start discussing new features that will appear in playtest 5. Today, the campaign cycle!

What's the Campaign Cycle All About?

The campaign cycle is a way to organize your Let Thrones Beware games with a definitive beginning, middle, and end. The cycle is broken up into three distinct chapters (Adventurer, Champion, and Legend), one for each Tier the player-characters reach.

Overview

Each chapter focuses on a particular threat which, when resolved, leads into a more ominous threat in the subsequent chapter. In your default setting, the Adventurer chapter is about bandits plaguing the Deep Wood, led by a fearsome bandit queen. This leads into the Champion chapter, focusing on stopping a fanatical death cult that has infiltrated the highest levels of the Baronet’s court. Finally, in the Legend Tier, Heroes confront the otherworldly forces manipulating the cult which threaten to annihilate all of Ceyenus.

Campaign Chapter

Each chapter is separated into adventures. Three’s normal, but you could do just one if you want to rush, or nine if you’ve got the time. At the end of an adventure, the GM adjusts a villain track depending on their success or failure measuring how well the evil plan progresses. The heroes also get to base-build when they finish an adventure, expanding the town, fortress, or country in which they reside.

Each campaign chapter concludes with a climactic battle between the heroes and their allies and the chapter’s villain the forces that the heroes can marshal against evil depend on the base-building they have accomplished over the course of the chapter. Finally, the heroes engage in a ferocious duel against the villain, and when victorious, transition to bigger and better things.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My stream of consciousness feedback from reading through the Player Packet:

quote:

Unlike D&D, you don’t roll dice with every action you take in challenges; you only roll at the beginning of a round (or in special circumstances, such as when a power gives you advantage). You will complete any number of engagements in a given round using the same Tier Dice value roll.

* This doesn't make sense to me as a first-time reader. I did get it eventually, but consider a revision.

* I do like the Reserve mechanic
* Later: I like how healing is "just" interacting with the Reserve mechanic

quote:

Ipotane are cousins to savage the minotaur

* This should probably be "Ipotane are cousins to the savage minotaur"

* The Criminal is my instant favorite Background. The powers are very evocative.

* I like the design of Hard and Easy saves insofar as the base roll is the same, but only the attribute varies, such that the gap doesn't get too wild (as in d20)

* You may want to revise the Initiative definition to include what happens after the guy with the highest initiative gets to go

* Influences are a brilliant gamification

quote:

If not in the first round not zero

* This is a very awkward phrase. I can't tell what it means

======

Overall, I like what I've read, but I feel like I haven't completely grokked it yet. I may try making a character to see if that helps.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Thanks Gradenko, this is great feedback.

That last bit was a sleep-deprived sentence trying to say that players refresh a non-combat power in every round except the first. It's been fixed up in the next revision.

Let me know how making a character goes for you.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
This isn't a big post, but I've just completely excised ability scores from the system, and I feel way good about it.

Take that, sacred cow.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The Initiative Problem

I continue to churn along in the development of Playtest 005. One of the things that struck me the other day is just how dull and meaningless the current iteration's initiative system of Tier Die + Response score is. It's almost entirely luck-driven, and there's nothing about it that would lead players to make interesting decisions. Plus, it shoehorns characters into acting in a relatively similar order every combat.

A Solution

After mulling this over for a little while, I was struck by a bolt of inspiration, and after a day or so of furious tinkering, emerged from the darkness with a brand new initiative system! The intent of this revision was to make determining initiative a meaningful decision for the players. The party can virtually guarantee that it will act before the baddies they face, but there will be an immediate impact in terms of reduced capability in the first few rounds.

How the Initiative Stack Works

Each adversary the players face has an initiative modifier: arranging these from lowest (typically minion opponents) to highest (fast, mobile enemies) before the fight provides you with the Initiative Stack.

To determine when they go in each combat round, the heroes first decide among themselves the order in which they would like to act. It might make sense for the nimble Rogue to go first in one combat, but in the next, the party may wish to get its heavily armoured Knight into position right at the outset. This decision is made by the party, and the GM has no role to play. Once the heroes have determined their combat order, they as a group exhaust combat powers, totaling the Force Score of the powers they have bid to form an Initiative Stack of their own.

The order in combat is determined by comparing the values of the competing stacks. The side with the highest-valued stack goes first, the largest value is removed from the stack. This done, another comparison is made, and the next-highest value is removed. This continues until the full order is determined. Once determined, initiative order does not shift for the remainder of the combat.

Players begin the first round of combat with all powers chosen for the purposes of determining initiative order exhausted.

An Example

In the above Stack, the heroes’ stack has highest total value (9 vs. 8), and Sue acts first. The heroes remove the rightmost value from their stack, and another comparison is made. The Sargent is goes next in initiative order because the adversary stack is largest (6 vs. 8). The GM reduces the adversary stack, and the makes another comparison. This identifies Bill as the next to go (6 vs. 4). The comparisons continue in this manner until the order of one side is full determined. The GM appends the leftovers to the initiative order once there are no more comparisons to make.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
More sneak peeks in advance of 005

New

Old

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 6, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

slap me and kiss me posted:

More sneak peeks in advance of 005

New

Old

That is an impressive re-design.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Thank you!

I had a bit of goon encouragement along the way - pd0t suggesting I include an escalation-style mechanic which I ended up naming Desperation, and Eukie rightly pointing out that using dice instead of actual icons for the Desperation mechanic made things awfully confusing. I've gone on to add monster type icons (minion, standard, commander, legendary) on each entry, and I'm feeling pretty darn good about things.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I am exceptionally pleased with how this turned out. I think it's final at this point. 005 coming very soon!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Playtest 005: Character, Combat, Adversaries

Holy cow, somehow it's already June: that means it's Playtest 005 time! This packet contains a multitude of improvements for characters, the combat system, and remade, challenging adversaries

Playtest 005 Updates: Characters

Death to Ability Scores

One of the most dramatic changes for 005 is the elimination of ability scores. I've looked at several different ways of making generalization and hyperspecialization equally viable options for characters, but nothing was satisfactory.

005 completely eliminates ability scores, replacing them with a single Roll Bonus that characters include on every roll they make. This is quite beneficial,  as balancing challenges and designing opponents that are equally challenging for generalists and specialists was a frustrating experience, and that dilemma is no-longer a problem.

As it turns out, removing ability scores was an exceptionally simple process, and the game isn't appreciably weaker for doing so. This reinforces that DTAS was the right choice!

Class Refinements

Playtesters using the previous version suggested that two classes, the Rogue and the Oracle were in tricky spots with respect to their class features.

Rogue

While the Rogue's Penetration skill was effective in damaging opponents,  it didn't work with the rest of the party very well. Sure, it did direct HP damage, but if everyone else still had to carve through armour, meaning that the Rogue's ability didn't do a very good job of contributing to the fight.

Consequently, Penetration has been scrapped as a class feature, in favour of a new mechanic that allows the Rogue to initiate an engagement with an interrupt, as a cost of two powers, when in combat situations where she's got Edge. This transforms the Rogue into an automatic damage machine, and meshes it well with the rest of the party.

Oracle

Out is the ability for the Oracle to allow hp transfer to allies while engaging. The heal capability has been transferred entirely to powers, which helps eliminate duplication within the class (why bother taking the heal archetype and it's powers when you can autoheal for free?)

In place of the autoheal is a similar ability that increases an adjacent ally's Resistance by one, up to its maximum. This encourages the Oracle to be front and centre in the fray, and giving free Resistance rather than allowing a transfer from Reserve to HP is a huge tactical advantage for frontline combatants.

Playtest 005 Updates: Combat

Desperation

Totally new to Let Thrones Beware is the Desperation mechanic, which is designed to encourage combat to end quickly. No more combats stretching on for hours. Desperation begins at Composed, and over four rounds, climbs until it reaches Frantic.

In order to streamline combat, the old Edge mechanic has been pulled out. No longer will you have to round dice up or down, depending on the result. In its place, combatants will add or subtract the Desperation value (+1 through +4). This saves time versus figuring out how to modify each die. Further, it also encourages teamwork and collaboration, as the boost is much more significant than previously available.

Initiative Stack

The Initiative Stack is another new system introduced in 005. The old roll+Response stat was quite cargo-culty in design. It went a long way in pigeonholing characters in initiative order. There's no reason that an equally encumbered Knight shouldn't be as fast as a Rogue, for example.

In the new system, which has its own detailed post here, the heroes will bid combat powers against their adversaries, with the side who has the highest total initiative score going first.

Playtest 005 Updates: Adversaries

I've punched up adversaries in 005! I added a little description to adversary, and they're now hooked into the Desperation system.

As Desperation increases, the tactics that your foes employ will change. Where once footguard would strategically crowd together, they will break apart, each fending for themselves. Brigands, initially confident in their ability to cut down any foe will grow less sure of themselves.

Their powers too, will change. Ranges will shrink and damage will grow. Foes will gain additional effects as they grow more desperate to defeat the heroes.

Downloads

Currently feeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS-Jwbqkdbw

slap me and kiss me fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 12, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I really like the "mini AI" on the monsters. Really, really like.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Thanks!

One of my favourite little Desperation interactions is with militia; footguard will try and link up at the start combat, but as time goes on, they'll break rank and fend for themselves. Archers will begin attacking at range, but will eventually try to close distance and attack with their more limited melee attacks. Meanwhile, the Squire will begin by attempting to heal injured comrades, but if the fight drags on, will instead start calling for reinforcements.

I feel like it will really play up the frantic, lovely experience that a patrol of poorly-trained Militia would have were they to confront a group of heroes, and the best part is that, it's going to feel nothing like how the Brigands, another conventional enemy type, play out in a fight.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
The reviews are in!

quote:

Apparently there's no humans (ugh)... special snowflake. That setting better be awesome.

quote:

Apparently no ability scores?

quote:

Tier Dice: So apparently this is your replacement for the d20?

quote:

I wanted to explain why a setting without humans is a bad idea, but I decided to give up on this mess

--------------

quote:

I really liked it. It was reminiscent of the "A Song of Ice and Fire : A game of thrones edition" except easier to pick up. You managed to explain the resolution system in a few well edited pages where it took them an entire book to vaguely convey

quote:

If you've set out to make a more intuitive, more flavorful, less number crunchy but still structurally substantial game you've done it.

quote:

Whats impressive to me is by retaining the background/class/archetype system that adds a lot of personal flavor that dnd players love, but it doesn't mess with formulas as annoyingly as dnd/pathfinder does

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Reshuffling some lore around, have a brand new introduction, which I think grabs a bit more than the history lesson of 005, which is moved back in the packet.

A Fateful Night posted:

Legs burning, she ran deeper into the Wood. A peal of bells followed, echoing off the trees of the primeval forest like the mad, frantic laughter of a prisoner condemned to death. Hurtling over the rotting corpse of a dead tree, she considered the metaphor. It was apt, she decided. Only the fearless (or the mad, her subconscious insisted) would still be outside, this far from home, this late. Though long out of sight, she knew that the sturdy gate Chael Hollow would soon swing shut, sealing her friends behind the safety of the wooden palisade. Relative safety.

The ground fell away as she raced through the twilight. She was making good time. She would find him. Dawn was scarcely twelve hours past, but it felt as though a thousand years had passed. An eternity since he’d proudly exclaimed that he was going out to the fields to play. She’d warned him to be back by midday, but he hadn’t returned. She’d gone to look for him then, before fear had set in her like a knife. Her heart had sunk when she saw his satchel hanging from the branch of a tree at the edge of the forest. He’d gone into the Deep Wood.

Ahead, in the fading light, she saw movement between the trees. She poured on speed, ignoring her aching limbs and the exhaustion that clawed at her like a wild animal. She was so close. They could be home before night fell. Before the Passage ended and the relentless and unceasing hunger returned to the Wood.

Bursting from the trees, she hurtled into the clearing. There he was. Prone on the forest floor. Above him, a Man, wielding a cruelly hooked blade. It couldn’t be, and yet there was no mistaking the pink skin, the slender frame, the cold eyes, dead and empty. Her mind reeled, bewildered, as the last seconds of her life jolted past in a cacophony of pain and confusion.

The man did not so much flinch as the giant insect bounded from the trees. With little more than a wave of his hand, he brought her flight to an abrupt end. He regarded the creature, immobilized in the air, arrested mid-leap, its arms outstretched and reaching for the helpless thing at his feet. His eyes narrowed. Female. Kin, perhaps. Immaterial. He already had what he needed. One pathetic wretch was as good as the next.

The bells had stopped. Her last coherent thought was that the forest was so quiet.

His fist clenched, and the worthless thing in the air before him bubbled and burst, spattering the clearing with warm ichor.

Humanity had returned to Ceyenus.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Here's a fun piece on violence and killing in my game of tactical combat.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
192 pages, 34200 words.

Sheesh.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
One of the bits of feedback I've received a bunch of times is that some examples of play would be helpful. Rev 006 will include two - one for combat challenges, and one for non-combat challenges.

Non-Combat Challenge Example: The Merchant's Dilemma posted:

GM: Okay, you’ve identified the merchant as the one holding on to the heirloom, but he’s not just about to hand it over to a bunch of strangers he’s never met.

Mahmud: This sounds like a non-combat challenge.

GM: As a matter of fact, it is. The merchant himself is your primary obstacle; he’s in the foreground. You get the sense that there’s someone pulling the strings. Figuring out who that might be is a background challenge, and it’s blocking the third challenge, another one in the background which is dealing with the merchant’s benefactor.

Mahmud: Okay, I’ll start with the Merchant. Sue, what’s your plan?

Sue: I’ll start in the background and try to run down whoever is getting in our way.

GM: Sounds good. Since you two are acting rather than reacting, you’ll start the challenges and we’ll reverse the order next round. Roll your Tier Dice. Who wants to go first?

Sue: I rolled a 10, and Mahmud got a 6. I’ll kick this off, these are my people. I’ll start sniffing around in the market, see if I uncover some rumours about who’s keeping an eye on our well-off friend. I’ll use Noble's Gambit, which, including my Roll Bonus, gives me a total Force Score of 10 + 2 + 2 = 14.

GM: That’s a strong start. Unfortunately, the inhabitants of the market are tight-lipped and unwilling to talk to an outsider. The challenge has a counter with a Force Score of 15.

Sue: Shoot. Alright, let me see. I stride up to the meekest looking shady character, grab him by the shoulders, and give him a hard shake. I'm using my Do You Know Who I Am? Interrupt. Force Score is 10 + 3 + 2 = 15, a tie.

GM: Tie goes to the hero. Good job. What Repertoire are you using?

Sue: Fancy Adornment, it does 1 skill point.

GM: Okay, this is a standard challenge, so 1 point is enough. The Ipotane you've accosted quakes in his boots and spills his guts about the corrupt Squire who's giving the orders. The blocker is removed and you can get at the second background challenge.

Mahmud: Now we're talking. While Sue's dealing in rumour, I'll trade oh my history in the guard and confront the merchant, telling him that the heirloom is stolen and we need to return it to its rightful rightfully owners. Open with The Guard is Never Wrong, Force Score 6 + 2 + 2 = 10.

GM: Bad news, the Merchant's not buying it. Counter with Force Score 11. Can you interrupt?

Mahmud: drat, all I have is another counter. Nothing I can do.

GM: That challenge remains fully intact. We move to round two, since the background blocker added an extra round. Time to refresh one of your exhausted powers at random, and then since initiative is switched, I'll lead off with Obstacles.

Combat Challenge Example: Brigand's Order posted:

GM: The Brigand Marauders draw their swords. The time for talk’s over. A fight’s inevitable. Set up your Initiative Stack.

Sue: There are three of us, we can take them. I exhaust Pierce the Heart, that puts our stack at 2

Martin: I'd feel better if we were four. I exhaust Overwhelming Gauntlet, we're up to 4.

Pam: We’ve got this you two. Exhausting Draw the Line Here, which takes us to 5. I'll go first to set up a flank. Sue, you go next, and Martin, you play cleanup.

GM: Alright, your stack beats the Marauders by one. Pam, you're first, then one of the Marauders, then Sue, then the other Marauder, then Martin. Roll your Tier Dice.

Sue: Alright, an 11 here.

Martin: Shoot, a 6.

Pam: A solid 9.

Pam: Alright! Lilith moves to space C9 with her first action, and then engages, leading with Onward, Heroes. A brutal chop at his neck, crying out to her allies to follow. Force Score is 9 plus 1 from the power. 10 total.

GM: Don’t forget your Roll Bonus.
Pam: Duh. 12.

GM: A solid opening attack. The Marauder parries desperately, using Brutal Slash to counter. Force Score is also 12, you’ll both hit each other.

Pam: Oof. Okay, I have an interrupt, By My Example. That will take my Force Score up to 13. Lilith does some fancy footwork, ducking the blade and stabbing heartily.

GM: Okay, you've won that engagement. What's the damage?

Pam: 1, plus the power gives one ally in Zone 3 Edge for the rest of this round.

GM: The Marauder winces under the blow, but his armour takes the brunt of the hit. He's still fighting. In fact, he's going next, and attacks you with Forceful Blow. Force Score 10.

Pam: We've fought these guys before. I only have one counter left, and if he attacks a second time, he'll use his tactic to bug out, and then Sue can’t flank. I'll take the hit, my armour can stand it.

GM: That's one damage. Desperation is composed in this round, so he also inflicts Knockback 1, moving you a space backwards.

Pam: Sheesh. Remind me not to do that again. Wait! My competency is Steadfast, which means that all forced movement is reduced to zero unless I say otherwise. I’m not moving for this guy.

GM: He’s irritated, and now he's attacking you again, a threatening open with Cutting Spike. Force Score 8.

Pam: Smartass. I can counter that with Suffer the Victorious. Force Score 12.

GM: Okay, there’s nothing he can do to respond. You win the engagement.

Pam: Yes! Stay flanked, sucker. 1 damage and one ally in the zone may transfer up to 5 points from Reserve to HP.

GM: Tough crowd. Okay, Sue, you're up.

Sue: I've been looking forward to this...

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
What time is it?

Yes, it's technically Thursday. More accurately though, it's "sneak peek of the Campaign Track and stronghold management day"!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Thanks to the Word-smarts of signoise, I now have bookmarked pdfs, which are already up online and downloadable.

Thanks, signoise!

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Below, my next crazy idea, the Campaign Cycle

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Working on mass-combat rules, which are intended to be super-light and quick to resolve.

It boils down to the following: Each unit in an engagement rolls its dice - highest roll wins and deals full damage, loser does 1 damage in response and decreases one position on the morale track
units that hit the bottom of the track rout and flee immediately

So supposing, for example, that a unit of Skirmishers goes up against Heavy Infantry. the Skirmishers roll 2d4, and the HI rolls 2d6 - if the Skirmishers win, they inflict 2 damage and suffer 1 in return. If the HI wins, it deals 3 damage, and takes 1 in return. Either way, the loser degrades one morale step, from Sturdy to Shaken, which means that they lose an Edge in future engagements unless their morale is restored.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I call this latest piece "mass-combat in six pages"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
It's time for more - so much more!

Mythic Monsters
While most of the foes heroes face are surmountable with grit and determination, there are some opponents that cannot be defeated by mere force. These mythic foes pose significant danger, and can only be defeated by the heroes with significant preparation. In fact, if the heroes confront these foes without research and adequate preparation, they will find themselves in an unwinnable situation; Mythic Foes quite literally cannot be killed unless as series of tasks is completed before they are confronted.

Importantly, Mythic Foes should be presented and treated by the GM as more than just an enemy with extra hit points and slightly more damage. Mythic Foes are savage and uncontrollable, forces of nature that must be endured rather than tamed. Without adequate preparation, the heroes will no more be able to stop a Mythic Foe than they would stop an earthquake or a tsunami. Mythic Foes are not the focus of the campaign, but are an interesting addition that presents heroes with the opportunity to deal with a dangerous threat and better Ceyenus.

The inspiration for mythic foes are legends like the Lernaean Hydra, which possessed nine (or more, depending on your source) heads that granted it immortality while they were attached to its body, poisonous breath that killed everyone unfortunate enough to inhaled the fumes, and regenerative capabilities that would replace every severed head with two more. Heracles, who defeated the Hydra, was only able to slay the beast after realizing that fire would stop the regenerative process and that protection was needed against the beast’s toxic breath.

Encountering Mythic Foes
It’s best to think of Mythic Foes as almost environmental effects; much like a wildfire or a tornado, there’s initially not much that can be done by the heroes, other than taking shelter and waiting out the fury.
It’s important to recognize that in many roleplaying games, anything with stats exists to be killed, and players may not initially recognize that a Mythic Foe is undefeatable without undertaking the challenges that such an adversary requires. At the same time, if the heroes only ever encounter Mythic Foes after they have completed the challenges, Mythic Foes will not inspire the fear and sense of danger which they are ascribed.

Accordingly, it’s a good idea to put the players in situations where they have an opportunity to encounter the Mythic Foe before they can vanquish it. This will help convey menace and danger, and will help make sure that they feel suitably triumphant when they finally overcome the threat.

Two approaches will serve you well for dealing with preliminary contacts with a Mythic Foe. The first is running the encounter as a non-combat challenge; in this case, it is very apparent that the foe cannot be permanently harmed, and the challenge can focus on evasion or slowing down the threat, rather than outright combat. The second method is to permit the players to engage the foe in a battle, but make it clear that the heroes are unable to deal lasting damage.

Overcoming Mythic Foes
Every Mythic Foe has several associated tasks (three, at the Adventurer tier) that must be overcome by the heroes before they are able to defeat the beast. As GM, how you present these challenges is up to you: they may be presented as a series of quests all at once after the heroes decide to hunt the Mythic Foe, or they can be organically woven into the threads of other adventures.

These tasks are prophecy, and as such, there is no right or wrong way to complete them. Inventive heroes will arrive at many different solutions, and so long as the letter (or alternatively, spirit) of the challenge is completed, the heroes are successful.
While heroes may inadvertently (or deliberately) complete the first such task without challenge, by the time they are ready to tackle the second, the Mythic Foe will likely be aware of their intentions and make an effort to stop them; this is a great time to showcase the threat that the Foe presents, before the heroes reduce it to a defeatable state.

While this chapter includes such tasks for each adversary, feel free to adapt or change them as you see fit. Mythic Foes are intended to be significantly more mysterious and deadly than conventional foes, and if your group of players has already confronted the same foe in a previous game, you’ll want to change the challenges so that the foe isn’t a paint-by-numbers exercise.

Environmental Changes
Mythic Foes are far-reaching environmental blights upon the land, and their very presence makes miserable existence for denizens of the area the Mythic Foe inhabits. Simply by existing, Asag has plunged the entirety of the Deep Wood into a fit of terror and corruption. Eliminating the Mythic Foe will eliminate the source of the evil, and will enable the lands to recover to their pristine state.

Rewards
Just as Heracles used the blood of the defeated Hydra as poison for his arrows, defeating a Mythic Foe will convey upon the heroes a benefit befitting their accomplishment. 

Asag
Asag is the darkness, the corruption that lies at the heart of the Deep Wood. It is Asag’s malevolence that brings forth the mists, it is Asag who devours unwitting travelers in the Wood, and it is Asag who claims innocents sleeping in their beds. Asag is consumed by hatred of all living things, and will not rest until the entire Deep Wood is a desolate wasteland.

Encountering Asag
Prior to the heroes completing a single challenge, Asag is little more than a flood of inky, oily darkness, as if a torrent flowing from a shattered dam. Asag approaches from underground, soil bubbling as the darkness seeps from below the earth. The trickle soon becomes a flood, as the roiling, turbulent wave crashes over every obstacle, engulfing hapless innocents, covering ramshackle dwellings, and consuming all before it.

After the heroes have completed the first challenge, Asag’s true form is visible: a fearsome, beast-shaped tear in reality itself into which all existence slowly drains, as though all the world was an ocean pouring into a whirlpool. Asag does not speak, but those unfortunate enough to be in its presence are subject to an overwhelming, deafening roar, as if consciousness itself was being torn asunder.

Reward
A group of heroes who manages to defeat Asag will find a solitary blade (mechanically equivalent to a light melee weapon) that, when plunged into a surface, gradually covers the surrounding area with the murky darkness which heralded Asag’s arrival. This effect totally consumes non-sentient organic material and causes rocks and minerals to weaken and become soft.

Environmental Changes
Asag has utterly corrupted the Deep Wood. One need not even encounter the horrifying entity to be stripped sentience and transformed into one of the Condemned. Areas through which Asag has recently traversed are covered in an oily, inky darkness, which clings to the ground, the trees, and the animals with which it comes into contact. After first adhering, this substance begins the transformation of the unlucky being, quickly enveloping it. A mere matter of hours later, sentient beings are rendered twisted mockeries of their former selves, animals are reduced to bone, and the Wood itself is stripped of life, turned into desolate swathes known as the Quietlands.

Defeating Asag will not restore life to the Quietlands, nor will it free the Condemned from their curse. The only respite gained by slaying Asag is the knowledge that it will no longer spread it’s evil through the Deep Wood, will no longer feed on the terrified denizens of the forest. In time, the land will recover, and the horror wrought by the entity will end. Ages hence, the story of Asag will be little more than a story with which to scare mischievous children into behaving.

Tasks of Asag
The Frozen Heart
Buried in the remote reaches of the Deep Wood, underneath a ruined stone altar lays the heart of Asag. Encased in silvered ice, it beats slowly. Heroes must retrieve the heart and burn it upon a pyre beside a great body of water.

Hatred in the Dark
At the dawn of every Passage, Asag retreats to rest in darkness. The heroes must hunt Asag’s resting place, and catching the entity in repose, wrench away the thick forest canopy and expose it to brilliant light.

Man’s Corruption
An ancient shard of the Kingdom of Man, whose vile sorceries provide Asag succor, was flung impossibly far by Man’s destruction, and is embedded within a catacomb in the Deep Wood. The heroes must extract the shard and rid it of its dangerous magics.

Asag in Combat
If the heroes have not completed all three tasks, Asag’s Tier Dice is 6d6. If all three have been completed, use 2d8 instead.

Asag is an all-consuming ravage that cannot be reasoned with or dissuaded.
Asag rerolls its Tier Dice at the beginning of every turn taken; both its own and each of the heroes in combat.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Playtest 006: Domain Management, Mass Combat, Mythic Foes

August has arrived, and with it, the 6th revision of the Let Thrones Beware Playtest. This iterative build refines the campaign cycle, adds preliminary domain management and mass combat, provides additional adversaries, and introduces new, uniquely dangerous mythic foes.

Playtest 006 Updates: GM Options

Non-Combat Challenges
Non-combat challenges have been provided more depth with the addition of background and foreground components and blockers. These components will make resolving non-combat challenges much more interesting, as heroes have to contend with a variety of new complicating factors.

Domain Management
Domain management is a new way for players to make their mark on Ceyenus. The heroes success or failure at resolving adventures manifests as changes in the campaign track; advances along the track allow the heroes to construct new enhancements (e.g. basic buildings such as a smithy or a stable at the adventurer tier). These enhancements provide additional resources to the heroes whenever they undertake a new adventure, and will allow the heroes to field a larger army when it comes to the ultimate battle between good and evil.

Mass Combat
Mass combat is the capstone of the campaign cycle. Depending on how well the heroes advanced the campaign track, the nefarious villain behind everything may launch an invasion. The heroes will assemble an army of allies based on how well they performed, and the pitched battle that results will determine the fate of the Deep Wood.

Adversaries
Two new adversaries have been added - one another faction in opposition to the heroes, and one something new entirely.

Mythic Foes
While most of the foes heroes face are surmountable with grit and determination, there are some opponents that cannot be defeated by mere force. These mythic foes pose significant danger, and can only be defeated by the heroes with significant preparation. In fact, if the heroes confront these foes without research and adequate preparation, they will quickly find themselves in an unwinnable situation.

Cult of Man
There exist secretive groups that seeks to discover the vile magics harnessed by the Kingdom to further their own goals. Venerating relics, unholy artifacts, and the bones of the dead, the Cult of Man seeks to uncover ancient secrets that hint at unleashing untold power. The Cult comes with a full compliment of adversaries of all types.

Playtest 006 Updates: Player Options
While 006 doesn't include a significant change to heroes, it does add one new item. Much like how each class has a special feature that provides additional utility in combat, each background now comes with an ability useable in non-combat challenges. This will help differentiate the different backgrounds from each other and will help make background selection even more of a meaningful choice.

Downloads

Currently feeling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
It's time for another session of Reviews from Reddit!

quote:

Let me look at the character sheet. Bad sign #1: no attributes or skills or really anything except typically secondary stats that are super gamey with little to no association to the actual game world.

quote:

Wait, I can't be a human? Really? I have to be something weird? Which is the pretty race? Because I'm not going to walk around with a horsehead or play a weird bug monster, sorry. No way.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
"What's new?"

"Oh, nothi-"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Old

New

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
This is really fresh, and I do like the "special snowflake" character system (though sometimes I'd like to play a low fantasy game with just humans)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Reskinning around different human heritages wouldn't break anything, I don't think.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

NutritiousSnack posted:

This is really fresh, and I do like the "special snowflake" character system (though sometimes I'd like to play a low fantasy game with just humans)

Thanks, yo! Subjunctive is right that you can always call whichever species a human and go from there. I ain't the game police.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
"Jeez, you've been quiet. What's going o-"

Upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Playtest 007: Adventures and Primordial Forces

It's been a few months since I've last posted about the Let Thrones Beware playtest. How's it doing, you ask? Great, I'll reply; and then I'll go on to explain some of what we can expect in the 007 iteration (no British spies will be included). There are two major highlights for today's post: Bells of War (an introductory adventure for Let Thrones Beware), and Primordial Forces.

Playtest Addition: Bells of War: A Let Thrones Beware Adventure

Bells of War is an introductory adventure for 3-5 players (plus GM). It is intended for groups who are new to the system, and was designed with several goals in mind:

First, Bells of War serves as introduction for everyone at the table to the core concepts, mechanics, and style of Let Thrones Beware. Through a series of encounters, players will learn how the non-combat and combat challenge system works. GMs will learn how (and why) the system works the way it does, how to build effective and challenging encounters, and how to respond to player decisions.

Second, Bells of War establishes the groundwork for a long-term campaign spanning the hero, champion, and legend tiers of play. Primordial forces, mythic foes, and settlement management are all introduced to the groups who complete this adventure.

Third, this adventure is a template for anyone who’s interested in designing their own quest for Let Thrones Beware heroes. The challenges, decisions, and structure of the quest contained herein are representative of the system. Following the example set out by Bells of War will allow you to construct balanced adventures that challenge players and take advantage of all of the functionality Let Thrones Beware has on offer.

Playtest Addition: Primordial Forces

Primordial Forces are a new addition to Let Thrones Beware. The Kingdom of Man's invasion, enslavement, and eventual destruction has left Ceyenus a fractured, broken world . The Primordial Forces of Trauma are the anguish of Ceyenus manifested. Four forces exist: Malice, Greed, Despair, and Disorder. Each of these forces stands in opposition to the heroes and their efforts to repair the world. Mechanically, each Traumatic Force provides the GM will a set of obstacles and complications that are inserted into combat and non-combat challenges. The ability of the Primordial Forces of Trauma to influence Ceyenus will be reduced as players progress through an adventure combating evil and righting wrongs.

Future iterations of the playtest will introduce new options for the players. Heroes will be able to align themselves with Heroic Primordial Forces that seek to bring Ceyenus back into balance: Hope, Compassion, Love, and Harmony. As characters gain experience, their connections to these Heroic forces will deepen. This will provide them with advantages which they can exploit to counter the machinations of Trauma.

• Locked thread