Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Okay your quickstart really needs some work, because it does not explain how combat works at all. It reads as if it's basically just D&D, but your combat example above makes clear it sort of isn't. Only in the last encounter of the adventure do you spell out that no, you don't actually roll every action, but in the beginning of the turn instead! That's a massive oversight, because anyone who's even heard of RPGs is automatically going to think you roll dice the moment you attack.

I don't agree with Jimbozig, I think the section needs a complete overhaul. First, nix the initiative rolls, all they do is make the book branch in a very confusing manner. A bandit attacks, roll your Force score for the round and only then decide if you want to a) attack! or b) wait and parry-riposte. Then the bandit dies. Now we've established there's a Force score and there are decisions to make. Great! Then the next bandit comes up and does something else to fill out the combat encounter flowchart, like tries to parry your attack or use an interrupt or something. The fight goes on for a couple of rounds. Then you can have the boss fight. Make cards of the actions so that they're easily referenced, explain keywords, make sure there aren't too many options.

As for the game in general, I'm sorry but fundamentally, what you've got here is a fourth-generation fantasy heartbreaker. You've got one good idea (the combat system, it sincerely seems pretty clever), but then you lather on all these ability scores and skill checks and initiative checks and saving throws and :smith:

Why even have ability scores when anyone worth their dice is going to max out their class-relevant stats anyway? Your chargen makes me choose between maximum swole :black101: and some weenie noncombat stuff, in a game that's a lot about stabbing dudes in the face. That's not the meaningful choice you promised.

Also, to put this bluntly, your skill system is terminally boring. It's basically d20 but all the modifiers are huge.

You have a lot of D&D boilerplate in there, and I feel like you'd have a better game if you just threw all that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread