Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
your music player is a piece of poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFPbYqdw3oY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I think the SanDisk Clip line of MP3 players still have a place in today's marketplace.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
zune may not have been first mp3 player, but microsoft was the first to do it right. the zune 30 and 80 were a one-two punch of ownage that dominated the competition, but unfortunately perhaps too late. the mp3 player market's zenith, the zune 80, launched alongside the iphone, and by then a new era had begun

Skarp
Sep 27, 2013

my old zune OWNED except the software cut off song titles that were longer than the device width lol

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
from the near-future sf comic "the private eye" (which you can get here if you want context):

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pseudorandom name posted:

I think the SanDisk Clip line of MP3 players still have a place in today's marketplace.

i have a fuze and the ui is very well thought out and even though its older it plays mp3, flac, and vorbis :tipshat:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Heresiarch posted:

from the near-future sf comic "the private eye" (which you can get here if you want context):

lmao

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I really liked my Zune 80. Honestly, it was executed almost perfectly. I probably used it from like 2007-2012, when micro SD cards finally got large enough to hold my spergy-rear end hand-janitored music colletion. The Zune 'premium' earbuds were really good too.

Also reposting this here because I derailed the security thread with it:

whoever guessed that I was listening to bedrock - heaven scent was correct

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

FopeDush posted:

I really liked my Zune 80. Honestly, it was executed almost perfectly. I probably used it from like 2007-2012, when micro SD cards finally got large enough to hold my spergy-rear end hand-janitored music colletion. The Zune 'premium' earbuds were really good too.

Also reposting this here because I derailed the security thread with it:

whoever guessed that I was listening to bedrock - heaven scent was correct

enormous power adapters of varying voltages, amperages and probably polarities too. allah be praised that mini and micro usb exist

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
actually that is the only thing i dont like about my fuze. for some reason it had a huge stupid multipin connector on the player end that is no doubt proprietary. thank god manufacturers finally figured out that saving money with a widely available standard port (that firs well on mobile devices) is way better than the few pennies you collect from ~*~bespoke~*~ power and data cables

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MP3-CD players are even better. my mom's old car could play them, but its hardware could only handle "tracks" with numbers from 1 to 99 which is like, half or less of what you can actually fit on a CD so you were limited by the fact that it couldn't handle more than two digits :downs:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i had a nice alpine deck that did that. when i figured out how to navigate folders it was a magic moment. also 10 albums means you can leave for a weekend and have plenty of music and never swap a disc. way better than cd sleeves or cases.

course now you can just play any album you want at any time with little more than a search, so

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had a sony 300 disc changer and it owned you could plug in a keyboard and enter the album names

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

I had a sony 300 disc changer and it owned you could plug in a keyboard and enter the album names

even with a keyboard that seems like a grueling task. you could also do it phone keypad style if you were a masochist

also all disc changers are noisy, slow, and unreliable. spending some money meant they were only slightly less poo poo than the cheapest option available

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

MP3-CD players are even better. my mom's old car could play them, but its hardware could only handle "tracks" with numbers from 1 to 99 which is like, half or less of what you can actually fit on a CD so you were limited by the fact that it couldn't handle more than two digits :downs:

I recently put a garbage-tier android head unit into my garbage-tier car. It had a usb port so you could just plug in a memory stick with all your music. I got a 128gb stick and put my whole collection on there, and the built-in music player app just created one long playlist with 80,000 tracks sorted alphabetically by filename. It also had no search function

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
10 years of owning lovely mp3 players: a retrospective

20gb creative zen nomad in 2001 was the poo poo. i used it until around 2004 when the hard drive died and i sold it on ebay for $80

in 2004 bought i bought an 8gb creative zen micro. suited my needs very well. i decided that I no longer needed to carry around a hdd with every mp3 i owned on it

2007 the sperg urge kicked in again and i bought a 80gb zune. everyone at work rightfully made fun of me for it because iphones had been around for a while by now. i kept it until 2011 when the hard drive died.

this time i bought my first smartphone, the Apple iPhone 4s. how freeing it was no longer needing to carry around a separate dedicated phone and mp3 player. since then i have never looked back.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I've never owned an mp3 played and i feel better for it

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
i bought one of these in 2005

it was p good at the time as it would allow me to just dump music into it like a flash drive. the 128 mb of stroage was a limiting factor so i put a 2 gb sd card inside and it was then p awesome. all it needed was 1 aaa battery and it would last me usually through the whole week--i kept rechargeable batteries for this thing

then the battery cover broke from my removing it all the time so i replaced it with a 30 gb ipod and then wondered why i liked that benq garbage to begin with--minus the itunes poo poo

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

serious
    wow

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

I've never owned an mp3 played and i feel better for it

I miss my iPod.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

had this one in blue. maybe 4-5 gb model? the touch interface was never great and it was the first thing to go

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

10 years ago i was using a rio karma, the proest of mp3 players at the time (and for quite a long time after it was discontinued/rio was bought by sigmatel)

* user interface was shockingly good, scroll wheel thing owned (except for when it broke)
* 20GB made me king nerd in high school compared to all the plebs with 256MB flash players or minidisc players (lol)
* could play motherfucking ogg vorbis and FLAC natively!! think i had a single random chemical brothers in .ogg for some reason, that was all i ever used ogg for
* bitching docking station, would glow blue when in use and could be set to pulse to music
* docking station had a loving ETHERNET PORT, yes i could network my goddamn mp3 player and use some janky java applet to transfer files from lunix if i so desired (i did not)
* :siren:GAPLESS MOTHERFUCKING PLAYBACK IN 2003:siren: :monocle: :pcgaming: :aaaaa: and for a billion years after it was the only goddamn thing to natively support gapless mp3 playback, fukken apple didn't get do gapless until idk 2011, 2012? anroid can still have gapless issues lmao

build quality was utter poo poo though, i went through two karmas and several times had to do surgery on the damned things to keep them working

eventually it got too old and lovely, then for a while i didn't have anything, then i got a sansa clip+ which i installed rockbox on

now i have a 64GB iphone and everything is just dandy

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol if you tried to carry that on a plane these days; bodyslam and rubber glove for you.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

and on that note let us all remember just how hilariously lovely hard drive based MP3 players were

skip a track, wait several seconds while the hard drive would spin up, lmao, loads of electrical interference background noise over my shure e2c's

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
dat docking station :eyepop:

i would father children and sacrifice them to get proper gapless playback on a portable device. how has this escaped so many manufacturers??

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol if you tried to carry that on a plane these days; bodyslam and rubber glove for you.

and heaven help you if you bring it to school

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
never forget: the Intel Pocket Concert

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

dat docking station :eyepop:

i would father children and sacrifice them to get proper gapless playback on a portable device. how has this escaped so many manufacturers??

i forgot the dock also had RCA lineout :supaburn:

re: gapless playback

works4me on my iphone??

anroid does gapless but (as i learned the hard way when i stupidly tried switching from iphone) manufacturers sometimes do dumb poo poo and override certain things. had a sony z3c where anything that used the native android audio playback stuff wouldn't do gapless, but apps which had their own poo poo could. anroid lol!!

and then there's always rockbox, though supported players are as always few and far between. rockbox can't be installed on the newest sansa clips and the old ones are now fetching a premium on ebay. idk what the current player of choice is these days, maybe some fiio thing?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

in high school, I had an ipod nano 1g. I put rockbox on it and loaded it with 128kbps oggs (it sounds better than MP3 don't you know) and text files. I read novels on that tiny, one-inch-square screen

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

And now I'm here.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

in high school, I had an ipod nano 1g. I put rockbox on it and loaded it with 128kbps oggs (it sounds better than MP3 don't you know) and text files. I read novels on that tiny, one-inch-square screen

wow, i thought reading ebooks on my 320x240 sharp zaurus was bad

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SO DEMANDING posted:

i forgot the dock also had RCA lineout :supaburn:

re: gapless playback

works4me on my iphone??

anroid does gapless but (as i learned the hard way when i stupidly tried switching from iphone) manufacturers sometimes do dumb poo poo and override certain things. had a sony z3c where anything that used the native android audio playback stuff wouldn't do gapless, but apps which had their own poo poo could. anroid lol!!

and then there's always rockbox, though supported players are as always few and far between. rockbox can't be installed on the newest sansa clips and the old ones are now fetching a premium on ebay. idk what the current player of choice is these days, maybe some fiio thing?

samsungs stock player sure as poo poo isnt gapless, which is a shame because its a nice player otherwise. may have to poke around the play store

i tried rockbox on my fuze a while back and was very underwhelmed. too many nested options for poo poo 3 spergs care about, tiny font, had to rebuild lists as you browse, volume control must have been a 64 bit integer because you had to spin the wheel like crazy to make any appreciable adjustment

2 steps forward, 30 steps back. the open sores experience

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SO DEMANDING posted:

wow, i thought reading ebooks on my 320x240 sharp zaurus was bad

same, i used to watch videos in sansas weirdo 15fps format on my fuze

which i had to get a 3rd party convertor for since sansas software was horrible

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I followed the development of the Empeg way back when

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empeg_Car

Goddrat, 1999 :smith:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I followed the development of the Empeg way back when

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empeg_Car

Goddrat, 1999 :smith:

quote:

The Empeg Car was a Linux-based unit that transferred MP3 tracks

well no wonder it never worked!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like m other apple devices I only ever got Steve era apple

iPod video

32 gb?

still use it in the car. does fine but battery hosed

curious though what so good about zune? [upside down anus]

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I had one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-EXP401-Pocket-eXpanium-Anti-Skip/dp/B00005O02X

I had a lil gamecube disc folder thing for it to, fit like 5 albums to a cdr

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

i still have a ipod classic in my car, i can change songs without looking at it. i tried a zune hd and an iphone, but gently caress looking at a screen to see where to put my greasy fingers.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
thats a good idea, i should just leave my fuze in the car since bluetooth on my cheap headunit sucks a fat one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
no wireless. less space than a nomad. lame

• Locked thread