Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

FopeDush posted:

I really liked my Zune 80. Honestly, it was executed almost perfectly. I probably used it from like 2007-2012, when micro SD cards finally got large enough to hold my spergy-rear end hand-janitored music colletion. The Zune 'premium' earbuds were really good too.

Also reposting this here because I derailed the security thread with it:

whoever guessed that I was listening to bedrock - heaven scent was correct

I had one of these briefly

And a nomad

And a rio riot

And maybe three or four MP3-cd players, including one called the loving mambo-x

I was loving desperate for portable MP3 players with lots of storage circa 2000-2001, then the iPod 20gb came out and saved me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

im still rockin a Zune80 for drivin and mowin the lawn, and i dont give a poo poo who knows it

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Checking in...

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i bought sansa e250 years ago for like $25 on woot because it took microsd cards and i was all wow i can just leave this poo poo in my car and have some SD cards and i'll have all my music and not give a gently caress if someone breaks into it and steals it. i never used it in the car. the buttons were too small.

also one time i bought a brown zune because i used to (and still do sometimes) make extremely bad decisions.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

people who do not use separate music players are heathens cursed to roam the earth in search of somewhere to charge their phone

i have a Sony hi res 24 bit player (not the really expensive one) and it is pretty good but gently caress paying extra for 24 bit tracks because one album is like 1.5Gb and even with expandable storage that's ridiculous flac 4 lyfe

device convergence can suck it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

years ago I had this beast:

which considering it was made by Creative was pretty well built and survived being slamme into concrete a few tiems without incident. not good to carry around in a pocket though as it was a brick

i later got a sony player that ityool 2007 was still using ATRAC and you could only put music on via their shitpile software that did the conversion:

it refused to work in Vista (lol) if you had Aero turned on. someone stole it eventually which was pretty funny because it had a proprietary cable and even if you had it good luck getting the crapheap software to work to actually use it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

wow i can put songs from different nirvana albums on this thing?? and kansas' "carry on my wayward son???"

life was good

then the towers were hit

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

SO DEMANDING posted:

10 years ago i was using a rio karma, the proest of mp3 players at the time (and for quite a long time after it was discontinued/rio was bought by sigmatel)

* user interface was shockingly good, scroll wheel thing owned (except for when it broke)
* 20GB made me king nerd in high school compared to all the plebs with 256MB flash players or minidisc players (lol)
* could play motherfucking ogg vorbis and FLAC natively!! think i had a single random chemical brothers in .ogg for some reason, that was all i ever used ogg for
* bitching docking station, would glow blue when in use and could be set to pulse to music
* docking station had a loving ETHERNET PORT, yes i could network my goddamn mp3 player and use some janky java applet to transfer files from lunix if i so desired (i did not)
* :siren:GAPLESS MOTHERFUCKING PLAYBACK IN 2003:siren: :monocle: :pcgaming: :aaaaa: and for a billion years after it was the only goddamn thing to natively support gapless mp3 playback, fukken apple didn't get do gapless until idk 2011, 2012? anroid can still have gapless issues lmao

build quality was utter poo poo though, i went through two karmas and several times had to do surgery on the damned things to keep them working

eventually it got too old and lovely, then for a while i didn't have anything, then i got a sansa clip+ which i installed rockbox on

now i have a 64GB iphone and everything is just dandy

This was my second MP3 player (first was the Creative Nomad Jukebox that looked exactly like a CD player) and it owned.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
the only apple product i've ever owned was a 20gb ipod video (ipod generation 5.0) and i was relieved after about a year when i discovered rockbox because gently caress itunes. then i somehow broke the headphone jack on it or something so it became just a portable hard drive and i got a creative zen mx which owned. then i got a "smart" phone but it was a janky android pos so after 2 years the zen made a brief comeback while i had a replacement (removable lol) battery on order

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

In spite of the rigorous QA, the top piece of the lighter seperated from the hinge after about a week

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

In spite of the rigorous QA, the top piece of the lighter seperated from the hinge after about a week

i'm the goon lighter

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I liked the 4-button iPod better than the all-clickwheel design that came after.

Still have my 30gb ipod connected to the car stereo aux + cig lighter power point in the central console rest hidey-hole.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I liked the 4-button iPod better than the all-clickwheel design that came after.

Still have my 30gb ipod connected to the car stereo aux + cig lighter power point in the central console rest hidey-hole.

mp3 players without a physical skip button are just a flat our terrible design. i guess jonny ive believes that every timeyou want to skip you should get the device out of your pocket so everyone can see it or something

that or that people actually janitor playlists anymore

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

mp3 players without a physical skip button are just a flat our terrible design. i guess jonny ive believes that every timeyou want to skip you should get the device out of your pocket so everyone can see it or something

that or that people actually janitor playlists anymore

uh, have you tried double clicking the button on your earpod's cord

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Last Chance posted:

uh, have you tried double clicking the button on your earpod's cord

don't have an ipod/phone so no but the point still stands imo

i mean, if your primary interface to a device is so "minimal" that you have to use an extra thing connected to it just to make it usable then you have failed

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

don't have an ipod/phone so no but the point still stands imo

not really, i mean unless you're using some cheap third party set of earbuds because you lost your s or somethin

burning swine
May 26, 2004

if your primary interface to a device is so "minimal" that you have to use an extra thing connected to it just to make it usable then you have failed

This is correct and right, etc.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

well yeah but if the "extra thing" connected to it is required to, you know, listen to the device, its not really extra is it?

anyway ive never had a problem skipping tracks on my iphone while jogging with it in my pocket so i dont know what to tell you. it just works.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

o im sorry i mean, apple and jony are loving us in the rear end on purpose with their minimalist designs.

they should be shoving a bunch of buttons everywhere on the phone so you can control the device and text while the phones in ur pocket like matt damon in the departed. yeah thats the ticket. you guys cracked it.

will we be readin about headphone-next-track-gate on the verge soon?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Yeah the earbuds that came with my phone had buttons on the cord too. That was like, 12-15 pairs of earbuds ago.

Putting vital controls on a peripheral that is meant to be replaceable and is frequently lost or broken is a Bad Idea™

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FopeDush posted:

Yeah the earbuds that came with my phone had buttons on the cord too. That was like, 12-15 pairs of earbuds ago.

Putting vital controls on a peripheral that is meant to be replaceable and is frequently lost or broken is a Bad Idea™
lol

its not apple's fault that you can't take care of your stuff and are too irresponsible and/or poor to consider buying first party replacements

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Last Chance posted:

lol

its not apple's fault that you can't take care of your stuff and are too irresponsible and/or poor to consider buying first party replacements

i own normal headphones that sond good and don't have buttons on them. i use them with my 80gb iPod Video. It's better my friend

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Back in the aughts I carried this:

iRiver H320, flashed with the Korean firmware let you play xvid :siren:video:siren: 220x176 @ 10fps, along with your other spergy features like OTG playlists, FM radio recording and stereo line in recording.

I was real :smuggo: until the iPod video came out less than a year later.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Last Chance posted:

lol

and too stupid to buy good third-party replacements

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
putting music on itunes and doing that local share thing to the phone is OK but the iphone app for music is poo poo

havingfully charged ipod was the kiey

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

the last time I used an mp3 player was in the military. we were not allowed to use cell phones in afghanistan or on some naval ships but mp3 players were ok. people still used phones for their alarms and stuff but those sansa clip ones were pretty popular.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
i had a sansa clip for a long time as my doing-housework player and it was a surprisingly solid little guy. good ui too, and if you really wanted to they even ported rockbox to it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Greetings. I am a time traveler from the year 2036. I am on my way home after getting a Microsoft Zune music player from the year 2006.

My "time" machine is a stationary mass, temporal displacement unit manufactured by Alphabet. The unit is powered by two, top-spin, dual-positive singularities that produce a standard, off-set Tipler sinusoid.

I will be happy to post pictures of the unit.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
post pics

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my first empethree player was this awful thing that only held like 50 songs but god dammit it did not skip on the bus to middle school like my CD player used to:

then i had this one (still have it too, and it still works!):

it could also play awful choppy 10fps xvids with almost no contrast and dammit that was cool as heck

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 15, 2015

Kind Friend
Sep 9, 2013

this was my first mp3 player: the XM™ Pioneer® Inno. It picked up satellite radio, which seemed really cool at the time but probably also gave me cancer. It had a whopping gigabyte of memory which is like a few albums lol. You could record tracks off the radio which i guess was neat but not really practical.

then i bought a Creative Zen: Vision: M. i felt smug because it had better specs than the ipod video at the time but it was also like carrying a brick of lead.

then i bought a zune 80 and i liked it a lot. the software had such a great ui... i still havent found a streaming service i like as much.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Dolomite posted:

i still have a ipod classic in my car, i can change songs without looking at it. i tried a zune hd and an iphone, but gently caress looking at a screen to see where to put my greasy fingers.

my vw has the cable in the glove box, so ive kept a classic in there for coming up on 5 years now winter, summer, whatever and the thing's mostly held up

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
cowon is still around wow

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ive seen a remarkable lack of ponoplayers itt

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Fabricated posted:

cowon is still around wow

im the calm in the turd

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

fritz posted:

ive seen a remarkable lack of ponoplayers itt

none of us are quite old and arthritic enough to need giant e-z press buttons yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

im the calm in the turd

i think it's "calm in the tumescence"

• Locked thread