Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

In spite of the rigorous QA, the top piece of the lighter seperated from the hinge after about a week

loving lol

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
it always made me chuckle that people would buy anything that wasn't an iPod after the iPod 3rd gen everything else was such hot poo poo and bad

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Heresiarch posted:

i had a sansa clip for a long time as my doing-housework player and it was a surprisingly solid little guy. good ui too, and if you really wanted to they even ported rockbox to it

When I first bought my Clip, I wondered which would fail first -- the battery or the flash. Naturally, it was the clip the broke first and then the solder connecting the headphone jack to the system board.

Running Doom on Rockbox was pretty LOL, though, but not LOL enough to suffer through the garbage Rockbox UI. I flashed the original firmware about an hour into the Rockbox experiment.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

im the calm in the turd
looks more like calm in the turt imo

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

it always made me chuckle that people would buy anything that wasn't an iPod after the iPod 3rd gen everything else was such hot poo poo and bad
same except literally the opposite because itunes is a butt

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I had a diamond rio mp3 player in like 1999. I even got a 128mb SmartMedia card and was the coolest dude in junior high until the battery door broke and the drat thing wouldn't stay powered on.

Then later I got a nomad zen xtra, which I still have in a drawer somewhere. I might dig it out, the battery is poo poo now but if plugged in it still works.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

The best mp3 player:

Nokia E52 paired with a large MicroSD card with oggplay installed is hands down the best mp3/ogg/flac player there has ever been. if it hadn't broken down a while ago, I'd still use it. oggplay works on any symbian s60-device, so I also used it on a Nokia E51, a Samsung SGH-i450 and a Samsung D500C.

now I use one of these:

A Ruizu X02.

It kinda works with ogg/flac/m4a, but it's picky. And it sorts files after the sequence they were copied over, so you need to run fatsort on it after copying if you want it sorted lexically. in other words, a top notch player. battery lasts forever though.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

rca lyra that I got back in early 2001 or so. it was loaded with such features as 128 mb of flash memory, fm tuner with 10 presets, and required you to convert all files to rca's proprietary mpy format before transferring them onto the player.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pseudorandom name posted:

When I first bought my Clip, I wondered which would fail first -- the battery or the flash. Naturally, it was the clip the broke first and then the solder connecting the headphone jack to the system board.

Running Doom on Rockbox was pretty LOL, though, but not LOL enough to suffer through the garbage Rockbox UI. I flashed the original firmware about an hour into the Rockbox experiment.

i guess i was pretty patient, i gave rockbox a few days. ultimately the stock sansa ui was better in every regard, with only a couple oversights so minor i dont even recall what they were. unlike rockbox, whereas i recall perfectly how awful rockbox was :v:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
my first mp3 player was this thing with like 64 MB of memory that couldn't play mp3s with a bitrate higher than 128 kb/s. didn't pay a cent because I won it at stone-paper-scissors with my train compartment buddy after a third traveler had forgotten it on the seats. avidly used it for years, even wrote a batch file that would wipe it, take a random selection of mp3s from my music folder, resampled them to 128 kbps and copied them to the device, so that every day I had a new random playlist. it had no screen, and the only control was a nub that you could click or rotate in two directions: click to play/pause, long-click to on/off, rotate left for previous track, right for next. it was a terrible discount store brand and I wish I could remember which

when I actually bought a mp3 player in 2010, I went to the big electronics store, and based on features and price I got this:

I used it as my workout music player, my FM radio, and I used the sound recorder a lot too. I don't use it anymore because
  • no longer going to the gym
  • most of my commute now underground so no radio
  • at the office: youtube
  • at home: FM radio
  • can't stand earbuds

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

hackbunny posted:

I won it at stone-paper-scissors

*record scratch*

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

How many hands tall was this mystery travelleur?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
long-distance train travel has that certain je ne sais quoi that other modes of travel lack

other highlights of the trip:
  • the guy in my compartment had a copy of john livingston seagull with him and that's where I first read it. it didn't help much with passing time in the interminable trip
  • the whole train had to be loaded, two cars at the time, onto a ferry to cross the strait of Sicily
  • since by then it was a couple hours late, it accumulated another hour or two of delay to wait for the ferry
  • we got official Italian railways lunchbags with a sandwich and a bottle of water before the strait crossing, to make up for the delay
  • the final leg of the trip was along a rural rail line on a single-carriage diesel motor coach; it's weird to hear a train change gears
  • the full trip took almost 12 hours (10 PM-10 AM) and it cost me 3€

e: the tall, dark stranger had a single britney spears mp3 on his player

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 15, 2015

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that sounds like a legit awesome trip, trains own. also, what song

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
ibeat blaxx

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wild EEPROM posted:

ibeat blaxx

Wow, nice bigotry. Mods???

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
For a while I used an iRiver T30 after someone stole my ipod nano. It didn't hold very much, but it was well-designed and ran off 1 rechargable AAA. it owned.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Mr. Apollo posted:

rca lyra that I got back in early 2001 or so. it was loaded with such features as 128 mb of flash memory, fm tuner with 10 presets, and required you to convert all files to rca's proprietary mpy format before transferring them onto the player.

man late 90s/early aughts consumer electronics were ugly as gently caress

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

my first mp3 player was this thing with like 64 MB of memory that couldn't play mp3s with a bitrate higher than 128 kb/s. didn't pay a cent because I won it at stone-paper-scissors with my train compartment buddy after a third traveler had forgotten it on the seats. avidly used it for years, even wrote a batch file that would wipe it, take a random selection of mp3s from my music folder, resampled them to 128 kbps and copied them to the device, so that every day I had a new random playlist. it had no screen, and the only control was a nub that you could click or rotate in two directions: click to play/pause, long-click to on/off, rotate left for previous track, right for next. it was a terrible discount store brand and I wish I could remember which

when I actually bought a mp3 player in 2010, I went to the big electronics store, and based on features and price I got this:

I used it as my workout music player, my FM radio, and I used the sound recorder a lot too. I don't use it anymore because
  • most of my commute now underground so no radio
  • at the office: youtube
  • at home: FM radio
  • can't stand earbuds

who the gently caress listens to the radio at home, are you from the 40's?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

indigi posted:

*record scratch*

"Other names for the game in the English-speaking world include roshambo"

:wtc:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i do

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
"wow, i love curated content."

"lol, you listen to the radio? wtf??"

-the same guy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

"Other names for the game in the English-speaking world include roshambo"

:wtc:

you must be a loving moron

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Smythe posted:

"wow, i love curated content."

"lol, you listen to the radio? wtf??"

-the same guy

internet radio sure but FM radio? that's just weird man

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

internet radio sure but FM radio? that's just weird man

shocked that someone too loving dumb to know the name of rock paper scissors is stupefied by the concept of an FM radio

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imagine a radio station but... get this... people are on there and they talk about local events and news...

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

sorry I got the name wrong! I had a brain fart and wasn't even sure of the order of rock-paper-scissors (now that I think about it, it's paper-rock-scissors in Italian)

• it works
  • it's free and tax-free
  • I got the stereo as a gift from my parents because my house was "too quiet" (no TV, no radio)
  • the tiny stereo sounds a lot better than my laptop's speakers, and has a remote

only downside I can think of is that it's the umpteenth device with a digital clock that I will never set

e: it has an aux in too

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 16, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

echinopsis posted:

imagine a radio station but... get this... people are on there and they talk about local events and news...

and it's prone to interference during moderate storms and you can get the same thing streaming online in higher quality from a device you keep in your pocket or the device sitting on your desk showing this webpage.

i mean all the radio stations around me worth listening to stream their poo poo online at the same time these days so if there's a particular program I want to listen to I can just do that, is that not the case everywhere?

hackbunny posted:

sorry I got the name wrong! I had a brain fart and wasn't even sure of the order of rock-paper-scissors (now that I think about it, it's paper-rock-scissors in Italian)
  • it works
  • it's free and tax-free
  • I got the stereo as a gift from my parents because my house was "too quiet" (no TV, no radio)
  • the tiny stereo sounds a lot better than my laptop's speakers, and has a remote

only downside I can think of is that it's the umpteenth device with a digital clock that I will never set

e: it has an aux in too

Genuine question: do you live in the UK or some other place that has TV "licenses" and don't want to buy a TV license? is that like "a thing" people do there, get a radio instead of a TV license? i'm actually curious and not trying to be argumentative or anything on that point :shobon:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

hackbunny posted:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Genuine question: do you live in the UK or some other place that has TV "licenses" and don't want to buy a TV license? is that like "a thing" people do there, get a radio instead of a TV license? i'm actually curious and not trying to be argumentative or anything on that point :shobon:

Italy, we have a TV license too. I got rid of the TV (gave it back to my parents) because I never watched it, didn't want to buy a decoder/new TV for the DTV switchover and yes, didn't want to pay for the license

"a thing" people do in Italy to get out of paying the TV license is simply not paying the TV license, because it's opt-in and because they can't or won't send law enforcement to see if you have a TV (not in households at least, but they will go after TVs in e.g. sports bars). from next year it's going to be opt-out :newlol:

it simply never occurred to me to stream at home, no idea how I would even do that. my only smartphone is my work iphone 4 and I'm not going to buy a dock for that. listen from my laptop's crappy mono speaker maybe? some kind of wireless speaker system? I have no idea honestly. the lovely little stereo works so great, push button for music, push again for silence

seriously. I swear I tried, listening to music on my commute, it never became a habit. it turns out I have no use for a portable media player. like, I used to think it would be ~romantic~ to share your earbuds with a girlfriend but it's actually just awkward, because you can neither listen to the music properly nor have a conversation. maybe if they ever block youtube at work? (yeah I stream from youtube, I'm lazy. youtube gives terrible music recommendations btw)

I think portable media players are overrated. my parents bought this portable CD player a long time ago, and I don't think it's ever been "ported" anywhere. it's been serving duty as the aux input for their 70s hi-fi deck for like ten years now

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 16, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

and it's prone to interference during moderate storms and you can get the same thing streaming online in higher quality from a device you keep in your pocket or the device sitting on your desk showing this webpage.

FM radio is not prone to storm interference,

, you swine,

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

In the pic the display looks rather large but one third of it features some dancing figures that change at random, so despite the large-ish display there'd still only be two lines of text on it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

podcasts > radio

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

FM radio is not prone to storm interference,

, you swine,

i mean i guess i'm biased because i live in the supposed lightning capital of the world but a storm way off on the horizon on an otherwise sunny day makes enough electrical interference for even a crystal clear FM signal to be interspersed with bssht bsh bsh bhshhhtttt constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean yeah it's not AM where a light rain suddenly takes you from "acceptably fuzzy" to "inaudibly fuzzy" but it's not like FM can beat streaming as far as clarity, also

indigi posted:

podcasts > radio

• Locked thread