Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Chinatown posted:

i hope everyone dies

i believe our universe is one of many, each with its own physical laws, and by the graces of chance our configuration can support life, however it also possesses the capability to support predatory life, and alas, all is for naught, there's too much evil and greed lurking even in the future

if sociopathy, imperialism, exploitation and violence are merely the result of genetic characteristics, these traits can arise spontaneously as any does, these things cannot be strictly speaking defeated, even in our own creations, the finer their mechanisms become

i'm glad everyone's going to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I scoff at this lily-livered twattery.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

PCOS Bill posted:

People with nothing are way more likely to be glad to give away other peoples' somethings.

We're coming to take your guns and redistribute your wealth, bitch.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

A Stupid Baby posted:

it's the easiest system to have regular and peaceful transfer of power which is like the #1 most important thing if you like having a functioning economy

disagree

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

TreFitty posted:

Oh, one more view that I have that makes me cringe when my man crush Bernie Sanders speaks about it: the wage gap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDj_bN0L8XM

It's bullcrap. It's a myth that never dies despite study after study, but the video does a decent job of explaining.

edit: I'm happy that we on this internet forum have everything figured out though!

study after study

do you think you could name, say, three peer-reviewed studies supporting the claim that there is no gendered wage gap? it should be easy since you've apparently seen "study after study".

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

InterFaced posted:

We're coming to take your guns and redistribute your wealth, bitch.

what happens when the beneficiaries of the redistributed wealth use it to buy guns? the cycle continues

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

City of Tampa posted:

what happens when the beneficiaries of the redistributed wealth use it to buy guns? the cycle continues

hail satan

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
One thing I don't like is the possibility of people born male successfully passing as female. I don't like it.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
no, friends are for losers

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm sure you'll come up with those three, since you wouldn't lie, so I'll just put these here so we can compare notes and figure this out

Gendered Universities and the Wage Gap: Case Study of a Pay Equity Audit in an Australian University

quote:

Studies worldwide have found that women's pay lags behind men's in academia. This article describes pay equity policies in Australia and overseas and the use of a pay equity audit as a strategic tool to reduce gender inequities at The University of Western Australia (UWA). As a research-intensive university, UWA resembles similar universities globally and, like them, is vertically segregated with power and advantage in the hands of males. Based on the average annual salaries in 2008, UWA's pay equity audit found a gender pay gap of 15% for academics and 12% for professionals. Discretionary allowances revealed additional pay differences with academic men, on average, receiving $8,744 more than academic women and professional men receiving $1,987 more than professional women. This article concludes with the micropolitics of how key players reacted to these findings and how the university may act to reduce gender differences in allowances.

Bargaining, Sorting, and the Gender Wage Gap: Quantifying the Impact of Firms on the Relative Pay of Women

quote:

There is growing evidence that firm-specific pay premiums are an important source of wage inequality. These premiums will contribute to the gender wage gap if women are less likely to work at high-paying firms or if women negotiate (or are offered) worse wage bargains with their employers than men. Using longitudinal data on the hourly wages of Portuguese workers matched with income statement information for firms, we show that the wages of both men and women contain firm-specific premiums that are strongly correlated with simple measures of the potential bargaining surplus at each firm. We then show how the impact of these firm-specific pay differentials on the gender wage gap can be decomposed into a combination of sorting and bargaining effects. We find that women are less likely to work at firms that pay higher premiums to either gender, with sorting effects being most important for low- and middle-skilled workers. We also find that women receive only 90% of the firm-specific pay premiums earned by men. Importantly, we find the same gender gap in the responses of wages to changes in potential surplus over time. Taken together, the combination of sorting and bargaining effects explain about one-fifth of the cross-sectional gender wage gap in Portugal.

Bargaining and the Gender Wage Gap: A Direct Assessment

quote:

An influential recent literature argues that women are less likely to initiate bargaining with their employers and are (often) less effective negotiators than men. We use longitudinal wage data from Portugal, matched to balance sheet information on employers, to measure the relative bargaining power of men and women and assess the impact of the gender gap in bargaining strength on the male-female wage gap. We show that a model with additive fixed effects for workers and gender-specific fixed effects for firms provides a close approximation to the wage structure for both men and women. Building on this model we present three complementary approaches to identifying the impact of differential bargaining strength. First, we perform a simple decomposition by assigning the firm-specific wage premiums for one gender to the other. Second, we relate the wage premiums for men and women to measures of employer profitability. Third, we show that changes in firm-specific profitability have a smaller effect on the wage growth of female than male employees. All three approaches suggest that women are paid only 85-90% of the premiums that men earn at more profitable firms. Overall, we estimate that the shortfall in women‘s relative bargaining power explains around 3 percentage points – or 10-15% – of the gender wage gap in Portugal.

The motherhood wage gap: What about job amenities?

Gender Wage Gap & Equality for All: The Case of a Financial Institution in Iceland

Women in STEM: A Gender Gap to Innovation

How Competitiveness May Cause a Gender Wage Gap: Experimental Evidence

The regional wage gap in the Spanish hospitality sector based on a gender perspective

Gender, Inequality, and Wages

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Maoist Pussy posted:

First of all, describing legitimate political beliefs along a simplistic left-right axis is first order bullshit, almost as if you aren't even aware that there is a Third Way.

So you're a libertarian?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
lo, no, god you are so ignorant. A libertarian is the opposite of what I am.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

lol you serious posted in the shitposting forum

i'm sure there's still a wage gap in certain industries but in general the "women are paid 77 cents to a man's dollar" statistic is flawed because you get it after lumping in a shitload of professions (boilermakers, for instance) where you get paid six figures and like 98% of people in the profession are men

also on average men under 30 are paid less per dollar then women under 30 so it's starting to go both ways

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

a retard posted:

i'm sure there's still a wage gap in certain industries but in general the "women are paid 77 cents to a man's dollar" statistic is flawed because you get it after lumping in a shitload of professions (boilermakers, for instance) where you get paid six figures and like 98% of people in the profession are men

also on average men under 30 are paid less per dollar then women under 30 so it's starting to go both ways

nothing you just said even slightly supports the claim that the gender wage gap doesn't exist

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Maoist Pussy posted:

First of all, describing legitimate political beliefs along a simplistic left-right axis is first order bullshit, almost as if you aren't even aware that there is a Third Way.

high five neo-fascist buddy

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fascism is not a conservative ideology but an revolutionary one albeit on totally different terms than left-wing revolution.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

nothing you just said even slightly supports the claim that the gender wage gap doesn't exist

i wasn't trying to imply that at all but thanks for putting words in my mouth you cum guzzling human being. pretend i just posted the first sentence then if you're that sandy about it

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
also i wasn't even the guy you were replying to with all those studies lmao

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Look, you can be ground down under dull communist brutalism. You can submit to the endless rape of corporate degeneracy. Or, you can build a Better Man for Better World.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

a retard posted:

i wasn't trying to imply that at all but thanks for putting words in my mouth you cum guzzling human being. pretend i just posted the first sentence then if you're that sandy about it

I never put words in your mouth, I just pointed out that what you said was irrelevant to what was being discussed. if you're so fervently not of the opinion that the gendered wage gap doesn't exist then it is a mystery why you're so upset by someone pointing out that it does.

a retard posted:

also i wasn't even the guy you were replying to with all those studies lmao

which is why I deliberately said "the claim" and not "your claim".

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Hmmmmm yes I'm going to read all these gender studies linked in the Rowdy Trout forums

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

a retard posted:

thanks for your insights into sociology, A Retard. at which ivy league school did you get your doctorate

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
sorry tezzor, science ain't a pick-and-mix. if you deny its validity whenever it doesn't support your preconceptions you don't get to berate other people for doing the same on other subjects.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I got mine at Yale. It was gay (Yale, not the degree)

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Tezzor posted:

thanks for your insights into sociology, A Retard. at which ivy league school did you get your doctorate

gently caress U, tezzor

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

If women want to even out the wage gap maybe they should start taking on some of the "Holy gently caress this is dangerous here is lots of money to encourage anyone to even do this" jobs that men die regularly doing and are paid justifiably high sums for

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
If under 30 Millenial women start making more money than men, is Tezzor going to fight to correct that?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Maoist Pussy posted:

If under 30 Millenial women start making more money than men, is Tezzor going to fight to correct that?

No, inequality is only a problem when WHITE MEN are ahead.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tezzor posted:

to appropriate an old saying about poker: “If you're in a conversation about politics and after the first twenty minutes you don't know who the right wing dipshit is, chances are it's you"

20 minute political discussion? 90% of people in a "discussion," once they repeat the 3 things they heard someone else say, are done.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
One of my friends called a study about regressive taxation and how that helps the top 10% a "comedy paper".

People who turn libertarian in their adult life are like recently converted evangelicals. They try really hard to earn brownie points for their religion, even by dismissing physical evidence that contradicts their beliefs.

Really sad to see the crap that he listens to and thinks is the gospel truth.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Maoist Pussy posted:

tezzor will never fight for anything under any circumstances

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I've matured into a grown rear end man and its only natural to become a racist poo poo.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ThePriceIsRight posted:

the smoke stacks weren't large or tall enough to burn that manyt people

they were perfect size to smake dang nugs

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
jesus christ i just had a stroke

naem
May 29, 2011

Maoist Pussy posted:

No, most of my friends are all turning into Burning Man tools so they have to pretend to be allies for stuff.

I know a BUNCH of women who are all turning like, 35 who have all been burning-man-ing for a good decade now.

It was cute at first to see Facebook pics of girls with feathers in their hair dancing around or whatever, but year after year it was the same and they started looking a little long in the tooth, the smiles of the guys in their pics looking more and more forced, until it's a bunch of harpies hitting on guys young enough to be their kids as they shrivel up drunkenly looking like someone's mom

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
might as well cut your dick off and go trans if your not conservative past 30

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

PCOS Bill posted:

If women want to even out the wage gap maybe they should start taking on some of the "Holy gently caress this is dangerous here is lots of money to encourage anyone to even do this" jobs that men die regularly doing and are paid justifiably high sums for

uh well no we've seen that women are paid less than men even in the same line of work -- the ledbetter act was based on a woman who was so unjustifiably denied standard compensation despite doing the job well for a very long time

if women were to flock to these jobs they would just be throwing their lives away for less, enriching old men the more

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Have you even been to a Planning Meeting for a Burning Man camp? It is like a combination of the worst aspects of MIT student council president tech corp faggotry plus also the hairy armpit stinkiness of hippies and organized according to the structure of a terrorist cell. It's loving sweet.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Maoist Pussy posted:

it's only to be expected that men make less than women under a fair system, due to their natural sloth, stupidity, proclivity for violence, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

Maoist Pussy posted:

Have you even been to a Planning Meeting for a Burning Man camp? It is like a combination of the worst aspects of MIT student council president tech corp faggotry plus also the hairy armpit stinkiness of hippies and organized according to the structure of a terrorist cell. It's loving sweet.

those people set off the same alarms in my brain that cultish anarchist cliques do but they're really fun to hang around with

• Locked thread