Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
A couple of you may remember my buddy Reggie (archives needed) that I posted about last year. After getting two teeth removed in October '14, he was a happy yet aging cat who was enjoying bossing me around for turkey coldcuts, butt-scratches, and praise for learning that he could drink from a dripping bathroom sink faucet.

He was slowing down due to being over 14 years old, and facing a possible diagnosis of oral squamous cell carcinoma. I chose not to subject him to surgery due to his advanced age and the risks of injury/infection as well as the risk of recurrence, so I just spoiled the hell out of him every chance I got. I came home from work one night in June and when I opened the door and didn't hear or see him immediately my first thought was "poo poo, the cat's dead, I have to find him". He died doing what he loved, scratching the poo poo out of the old couch in my sunroom. RIP Reggie, (2001ish-2015). He spent his last night on earth killing and eating a palmetto bug then getting head-scratches while I watched Game of Thrones; a good cat.

I spent my home time sitting around in a way-too-quiet house by myself for a month and decided it was time to hit my local shelter for a new roomie. I knew I didn't want a kitten, but I also didn't want another "senior" cat (I adopted Reggie when he was 8 years old in 2009) because going through the dead pet thing is soul-wrenching. The shelter folks took me to a room with about 30 cats, but only one immediately perked up and started walking back and forth at the front of his cage BEGGING for me to interact with him. He was a big orange cat, three years old, and he'd been in a home for less than a week before his most recent owner had to give him up due to moving to a nursing home. Also, someone else before that had declawed him (bastards) and I knew that he'd be an indoors-only cat in my house so he'd be safe with me.

That is how I chose Oscar. Here he is minutes after scent-marking every corner of the house:

Here he is less than an hour later, atop my couch:

And a couple hours after that, deciding my chest would be a fine place to take a nap:

What I'm trying to say here is orange cats are the best in the world and I will fight you if you disagree. Please post pictures of your orange cats to spread the word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Nah, still just a normal, lazy housecat, see?

Until he hears something outside that he thinks he can stare to death.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

All of your orange cats are awesome, floofy or otherwise.

Here is Oscar very agitated about a bug on the ceiling that he can't reach. Note the tail-whip:

And here he is as my Netflix and chill buddy:

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 20, 2015

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Winston Churchill was once gifted a "marmalade" orange and white cat he named Jock. He loved it so much that in his will he specified that at his Chartwell estate there should always be a similar cat, also named Jock. Here is the current iteration, who can be followed on FB at "Jock of Chartwell". He was adopted from a shelter and appears to be a very good cat.

Churchill also allegedly owned a parrot that was alive well into the 2000's that would constantly scream "gently caress Hitler" and "gently caress the nazis", but that's not an orange cat and has no place for discussion here.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Here are a few more pics of my old buddy Reggie. He was the first cat that was ever fully "mine" to take care of.

Cheating at poker:

Not giving a gently caress about the Mayan apocalypse scare of Dec 2012:

Not giving a gently caress about my office chair:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

No pics available right now, but my family had an orange cat named Whiskers three years before I was born. He was my older sister's cat, and he would allow himself to be pushed around in a toy baby buggy for a brief time. He also came back to the house after there was a fire in the garage, which I am told is very rare for cats because many of them will just dart off never to be seen again. He also had acne at a young age which caused some small deformation in his mouth where he would just drip drool when he was hungry and saw someone had food.

As a kid I saw him do some pretty awesome stuff like slam-dunk an unfortunate low-flying bird to the ground, killing it. He then walked away like it was no big deal.

I also watched him perform the following sequence:
- open the sliding screen door (our dog learned to do this to let herself in, but never managed to learn that she could to the same thing to get out)
- open the floor level kitchen cabinet door that held the pet food
- drag out the box that held the pouches of Tender Vittles cat food
- drag out a pouch of the cat food
- tear open the pouch of food and shake it over the kitchen floor
- eat

Whiskers also loved Chef Boyardee tomato sauce. If we had leftovers, we would put it in his dish and minutes later there would be completely dry ravioli.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oscar wishes all of your cats a happy naptime.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oscar has decided he's had enough of everyone's poo poo.

This is my favorite pic of him. "Leave me alone" paws, toebeans, it's all there.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Here is an Oscar pic from last Christmas. It's just the two of us in the house, so he wasn't too excited about the holiday. He has worn quite a nice cat-groove into the top of the couch cushion, though. This is where he spends about 70% of his day. The rest is staring out the front living-room window or climbing into the laundry room window to view the local wildlife.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I'm glad your Oscar is also not a grouch :)

Mine did very well with my retired parents visiting last week, and he LOVED my teenage nephew. He has Asperger's (my nephew, not the cat), but they were fast friends.

Here is Oscar showing his excitement for the opening week of watching baseball on the couch with me.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oscar wanted to share his excitement for the weekend.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I found a few pics of my old buddy Reggie, if that helps.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Tigger is a fantastic burly orange cat. Also, congrats to the goon adopting the regal orange cat that will soon rule his household.

I figured this would be a fine time to share my view when I'm lying on my couch.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oscar and I just returned from the emergency vet. He was trying to pee but couldn't, and was freaking out. He squatted over a plastic bag that was on the floor and all that came out was a few drops of pee with blood, so off we went.

Luckily it looks like just an infection with no blockage. He got antibiotics, pain meds, and sub-q fluids. He's already hit the box and produced since we got home and is now perched atop the couch as usual. I'll take him back Saturday for urinalysis to make sure there's nothing else happening, but I think we're gonna be okay.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I also call him "little guy", but the tech said he could stand to lose some weight. They think 16 lbs is too much and they're probably right. I'll talk to my regular vet Saturday. It was already suggested to take him off dry food, but I'll double-check that.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oscar update: my regular vet read the report from the e-vet. Oscar peed four times between 8pm and 2am, so he's clearly not blocked. She didn't want to do a urinalysis while he's on antibiotics, so that's on hold.

I asked about dry food, since the e-vet suggested taking him off it. She said unless this becomes a recurring thing, there's no real reason to switch. I'm going to cut down on his dry food anyway to get him to drop a couple pounds.

Oscar has spent the morning marking everything and rolling around on the floor like an overgrown kitten; he doesn't even put up a huge fight taking his meds. He's the best.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oh my god what an appetite!

Best of luck with him, I hope they find him healthy.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oscar enjoys his cat carrier sometimes, but it has to be HIS idea.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Tango is amazingly awesome and derpy in the best possible way.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oscar has been reporting to "Cat Therapy" duty 3-4 times a day.

Cat Therapy is him leaping up to the top of the couch and waiting until I lie flat on my back on said couch. Then Oscar walks onto my chest for about 30 seconds of standing head-scritches, then the 360 walk around my torso, then 5-20 minutes head/neck scritches while propped up by my right forearm as we both watch whatever's on the TV.

Oscar also loves when I consume wintergreen Altoids, because he will get all up in my face to smell my breath.

Oscar is only four years old, so I hope I have another decade or so spoil this big orange jerk. He's just the best.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Sun Dog posted:

Good lord, cat tongues are frightening! Are they actually piercing your skin and drawing minute amounts of vital substances from you each time they lick you? Is this why we go insane when we have cats?

It would explain why Oscar licks my lower legs when I sit at my computer desk.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Sun Dog posted:

Oh wow. Pickles could be Firebrat's brother.

Why does your cat look so sinister?? He looks like he would eat your eyeballs if he ever saw the bottom of a food dish.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Beemo seems like the saint of cats, and I love him for it.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

We had a creamsicle cat show up on our back porch when I was in high school. He kinda squeaked more than meowed, so he was named Meemer. He was very chill and would prowl the woods out back before napping on the porch or sometimes on the roof of the house. We had a table set on the edge of the porch so he'd jump from that onto the garage roof, then onto the house roof. It was pretty weird the first time we drove home and saw him stretched out there sound asleep.

We fed him and let him do his outdoors cat thing; once a year we'd wrangle him and get him to the vet. Once he was sitting on my sister's lap when a raccoon came onto the porch and everyone thought poo poo was gonna go down, but it all resolved without any injuries.

One morning he YOWLED instead of squeaked. It didn't seem like he was in pain, just making a very loud declaration. Then he walked up into the woods and we never saw him again.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Bob is the cat I would have gravitated toward if he were in my local shelter when I was looking to adopt. The rugged appearance would make me think he appreciates a good cuddlin'.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oscar is not pleased with my compulsive consumption of political news.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Poor little dude. He's adorable and I'm glad he has a good home.

Oscar would give him a paw bump, but :effort:

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Here is Oscar continuing his life's work of collapsing the top of the cushions at the back of my couch. Immediately after he laid his head down to sleep he audibly farted. While I took this picture he was snoring. He is a very good cat that was clearly destined to live with me.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oscar pretending he has no bones

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oscar wishes a relaxing holiday season for all of you.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Kit-kit is awesome, and so are you for taking care of her.

Here is Oscar unwittingly posing for an art photo.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Welcome to Meet the Press with your host, Oscar the Cat.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

That is an excellent orange cat.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There's a group of mostly black-and-white cats on my block that I call the Tuxedo Gang. My orange cat Oscar talks to them a lot from inside my house, usually right after I feed him canned food. I think he's taunting them.

Lately they've been leaving me presents, like a squirrel... well, the head, tail and spine of one. I also got the tail feathers of a blue jay at my front door. They nap in my front yard through the day so maybe they're paying rent.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Oh man, that's a miserable wait. Good luck.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Yay for happy and healthy cats!

My big orange dude Oscar had a urinary blockage about this time last year but recovered and has been healthy ever since.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Kittens are awesome, with their oversized paws and ears.

Then there's this guy

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I haven't posted an Oscar picture here in a while, so here he is in his most preferred habitat; on top of the couch.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

There's a stray orange cat that has been hanging out around the restaurant where I work for over a year now. He used to look pretty rough,

but we've taken him to the vet a few times and now he looks real nice!

Anyway, the no-kill shelter won't take him, and my girlfriend and I already have 3 cats. I sure wish someone would adopt this guy :frown:

He looks so well-kept that people probably think he's a pet.

If you put an "adopt me, please!" tag on him with your contact info, I'm sure someone will take him.

Meantime, here's my orange beast Oscar lounging on the love seat, which he now apparently owns

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Excellent cats on this page.

Here is Oscar expressing his discontent with the current state of political discourse.