Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Big Taff Man posted:

No, she gets people who can

If you came to me with the idea of mirrored frying pans with a prototype its not going to matter

Oh. She gets them.

Sorted then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Big Taff Man posted:

If you came to me with the idea of mirrored frying pans with a prototype its not going to matter

I literally made that joke already.

Glad Joseph won, he seems to have genuinely improved throughout the process, which is always nice to see

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Steve2911 posted:

Oh. She gets them.

Sorted then.

Dont see what you issue is

You dont do everything in a business. Did you miss the part of the episode where they went out and talked about the cost to implement her ideas

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I agree with what someone said earlier. Joseph would make a better apprentice than business partner. I liked him throughout the series, but in the final, and the subsequent "You're Fired" Episode, it became clear that what he cares about is very materialistic and superficial. He will fit right in with last year's winner, Mark.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Although it was pretty much a foregone conclusion who was going to win I am baffled that it was on today. I've seen loads of tweets spoiling it and was thinking "uh how do they know who will win, it's on Wednesday".

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Big Taff Man posted:

Dont see what you issue is

Because she's a ~~ideas person~~ with a very loose grasp on the actual idea, and like all of them simply wants to have someone go do the work for them and pay them for their loosely thought-through ideas.
It's about one step up from patent trolls and a couple of steps up from "something that already exists + BITCOIN" in having any merit or value to contribute.

It only passes in this sector because too few people know enough about it to snap-call bullshit on it. If someone's business idea was "make a plane, but make it solve the problem of burning fossil fuels in the atmosphere somehow" it'd be much more obvious that a lack of any practical solutions were forthcoming.

It's a good job Sugar just handed the investment over, because the other idea was equally bullshit by the end. He too was going to magic an "app" that deals with your heating seemingly independent of being the manufacturer of any part of that system, but that leap of stupidity got ignored.
Sugar ignored the business investment completely and basically hired Joseph on Apprentice logic; 'he can be molded blah blah'

What a weird and pointless end to a weird and pointless series.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Also a monthly subscription is just loving DOA for any kind of app of it's ilk. It's completely criminal her pitch wasn't an attempt to show how you can uniquely monetise her idea, in a highly competitive field, by utilizing IAP (which people are used to in a 'game') with regards to getting more matches quicker. People may pay 99p for 10 matches on a whim, but they aren't dropping £10 on month 2 when the novelty wore off in month 1.

e: highlight of the episode frankly

Khablam fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 21, 2015

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Manic X posted:

I agree with what someone said earlier. Joseph would make a better apprentice than business partner. I liked him throughout the series, but in the final, and the subsequent "You're Fired" Episode, it became clear that what he cares about is very materialistic and superficial. He will fit right in with last year's winner, Mark.

It's a show about business and making money, so I don't see the problem here.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
That were utter dog shite. I won't watch this television programme again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Khablam posted:

Because she's a ~~ideas person~~ with a very loose grasp on the actual idea, and like all of them simply wants to have someone go do the work for them and pay them for their loosely thought-through ideas.
It's about one step up from patent trolls and a couple of steps up from "something that already exists + BITCOIN" in having any merit or value to contribute.

It only passes in this sector because too few people know enough about it to snap-call bullshit on it. If someone's business idea was "make a plane, but make it solve the problem of burning fossil fuels in the atmosphere somehow" it'd be much more obvious that a lack of any practical solutions were forthcoming.

It's a good job Sugar just handed the investment over, because the other idea was equally bullshit by the end. He too was going to magic an "app" that deals with your heating seemingly independent of being the manufacturer of any part of that system, but that leap of stupidity got ignored.
Sugar ignored the business investment completely and basically hired Joseph on Apprentice logic; 'he can be molded blah blah'

What a weird and pointless end to a weird and pointless series.

Yep, I feel like unless you yourself personally are deeply involved in doing the thing you want to do, just having the idea to do it isn't nearly enough. I wouldn't be surprised if her exact idea has been tried and failed a hundred times across the various app stores.

I got the feeling that she barely scratched the surface in terms of actual knowledge of the market, while at least Joseph was already doing the thing he wanted to do, even if he was pulling new ideas out of his arse to find a mythical USP (how many tiny plumbing companies have a USP beyond 'reliable local plumber'?).

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

gret posted:

It's a show about business and making money, so I don't see the problem here.

No I get that of course, but I thought he had a bit more integrity about him. You want people with integrity to do well. In the end we got a Del Boy.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Yep, I feel like unless you yourself personally are deeply involved in doing the thing you want to do, just having the idea to do it isn't nearly enough. I wouldn't be surprised if her exact idea has been tried and failed a hundred times across the various app stores.

She's a Winklevoss and her idea needs her to be the Zuckerberg.

By which I mean [nearly] every "hockey stick" curve you see comes from a tiny startup with tiny overheads who can wriggle around and find their niche for [almost] free. The VC comes because people see a "genius [idea]" and throw their money at that.

I don't think anyone is throwing VC at design-by-committee / outsourced apps trying to launch cold into a theoretical niche because there's only disadvantages to that approach. You are never making big money selling an app built by a generic software house and paying their overheads, because they aren't incentivised to do so.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Vana's plan also bugged me because she had no idea what these SCIENTIFIC games would be or how they would match people up, as far as I could see. I don't think I'd really want to play Sudoku or brain training games against a potential date. Maybe Bishi Bashi Special games would be better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azMAkQeAgg

drat that game was fun.

Did any of you watch that thing with Daniel Radcliffe in about GTA? The Gamechangers....that was classic IDEAS person. He just walked around shouting I WANT THIS AND THAT AND OTHER AMAZING THINGS and magically got done. It was really annoying and just enforces to people like Vana that IDEAS are enough and there are underlings out there who can implement it to no credit.

This advert appeared in the Millennial.jpg thread and seems appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpDIEJrog3s

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Khablam posted:

Also a monthly subscription is just loving DOA for any kind of app of it's ilk. It's completely criminal her pitch wasn't an attempt to show how you can uniquely monetise her idea, in a highly competitive field, by utilizing IAP (which people are used to in a 'game') with regards to getting more matches quicker. People may pay 99p for 10 matches on a whim, but they aren't dropping £10 on month 2 when the novelty wore off in month 1.

e: highlight of the episode frankly

Not the cut to Alan suddenly giving Vana a flithy look when she mentioned venture capital? It even had a little piano plink.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think the most millenial thing was Vana's boasting that her app would change the world while plumbing pfft who cares about that?

It fits right in with the current tech industry, finding new ways to waste time online and then pretending that they've revolutionised the human socio-political thoughtshare streaming experience. At least plumbing provides little things like water to the world, and if you add in ~smart~ design (which tbf he'd only heard of the day before :laffo:) to that then you have something that could genuinely change how (rich) cities operate.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Running a bath when you're not home doesn't sound like a great idea.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
That last episode really just felt like a formality, much like the series as a whole. As Khablam pointed out, Vana's business idea was based around her misunderstanding a term she'd heard. The idea of making people sink time to see pictures of potential dates was hilarious. She was just there to provide another episode. I think Joseph could have completely changed his business plan to penis puppetry and Sugar would still have chosen him.

Actually didn't he kind of do that with that one bloke whose business idea was pure poo poo but he had a patent on some nail file or something? Oh well, :rip: this show.

crispix fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 21, 2015

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

They really should go back to selecting an apprentice instead of a business partner, but Sugar's current company's a shell of itself I guess being an apprentice isn't much of a reward.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

crispix posted:

That last episode really just felt like a formality, much like the series as a whole. As Khablam pointed out, Vana's business idea was based around her misunderstanding a term she'd heard. The idea of making people sink time to see pictures of potential dates was hilarious.

I think its a pretty good idea tbh.

I met the woman I'm marrying in two months on OK Cupid and the reason I used that site was all the questions it asked to match you with someone. I think something with :science: Science behind it could be really interesting

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I dunno if it was Vana or just the editing, but she never seemed clear on whether her idea was to let you flirt with people while playing facebook games, or to double down on the personality matching that existing sites have. Or both?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
It would have helped if they'd shown a lot more of the presentations. I didn't really need to see so much of people whose names I can't remember arsing about some more.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

crispix posted:

It would have helped if they'd shown a lot more of the presentations. I didn't really need to see so much of people whose names I can't remember arsing about some more.

Ive always thought its difficult to show too much as it may take away from their intellectual property.

Tho I dont understand why the heads of eharmony and match would give free* business advice

*with no fee but a mention on prime time tv

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Big Taff Man posted:

Tho I dont understand why the heads of eharmony and match would give free* business advice

*with no fee but a mention on prime time tv
It's like going to a primary school to give business advice to the kids. It's not like these people will actually be your competitors. May as well look like a nice guy for a few minutes.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

I dunno if it was Vana or just the editing, but she never seemed clear on whether her idea was to let you flirt with people while playing facebook games, or to double down on the personality matching that existing sites have. Or both?

It moved around a lot, but it seemed to be predicated on the notion her ~algorithm~ would be so good, that your match after playing the game would definitely be someone you wanted to date. Making the exercise some form of date in itself.

The problem with this is most leading dating sites already have algorithms based on looking at what millions of users actually find compatible with one another, as Taff points out. There's effectively no chance "A Phd" just happens to know something that data-mining millions of people's interactions hasn't taught the major players.
In fact, I'd bet his/her research is largely based on data acquired from online dating sites, as that has been in-vogue for a while.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah eHarmony's whole USP is that they make you fill out this detailed questionnaire that they use to "scientifically" match you to compatible dates.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I wonder if this show has been partly responsible for so many people these days using myself/yourself instead of me/you to sound businessy and official. :laugh:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The more I think about it, Joseph was pretty stupid to go on the show.
Why give Sugar a 50% stake in your business, when you can simply stay in business a short period of time, buy the vans on credit and expand slowly?
Surely expanding slowly with 100% of your revenue as your own is better than what amounts to be a very significant sell-off of your own company?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
He'd read Alan Sugar's autobiography and considers him a role model. Guy is possibly not the best thinker. He's really mastered the powerwalk though.

Why were they all talking to themselves so much in the interview episode? It was a bit demented.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

crispix posted:

I wonder if this show has been partly responsible for so many people these days using myself/yourself instead of me/you to sound businessy and official. :laugh:

Drives me mad, this. It sounds ridiculous

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Khablam posted:

Never heard of Nest? Most modern boilers have thermostats that connect in the same way, making it very trivial to replace with a smarter, internet connected device. Obviously doing it well and making money is difficult, but just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's bullshit.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Paperhouse posted:

Drives me mad, this. It sounds ridiculous

Regarding :iamafag:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

crispix posted:

Regarding :iamafag:

Regarding is fine though. Let's you prompt people with what you want to ask about, instead of charging in wildly

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

:argh:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I will ritually club myself with a copy of Eats,Shoots and Leaves at once.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Khablam posted:

The more I think about it, Joseph was pretty stupid to go on the show.
Why give Sugar a 50% stake in your business, when you can simply stay in business a short period of time, buy the vans on credit and expand slowly?
Surely expanding slowly with 100% of your revenue as your own is better than what amounts to be a very significant sell-off of your own company?

He was originally going to expand through franchising which would have required the investment.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

hermand posted:

Never heard of Nest? Most modern boilers have thermostats that connect in the same way, making it very trivial to replace with a smarter, internet connected device. Obviously doing it well and making money is difficult, but just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's bullshit.

You're reading something I never said, because I never said it was impossible, just that his hand-wavy suggestion there would just "be" an "app" that controlled home heating independent of any other hardware was bullshit, and it is.
He was never asking directly for £250k to design and create home automation systems, it was just buzzworded into his pitch because he had literally heard the concept the day before.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Khablam posted:

You're reading something I never said, because I never said it was impossible, just that his hand-wavy suggestion there would just "be" an "app" that controlled home heating independent of any other hardware was bullshit, and it is.
He was never asking directly for £250k to design and create home automation systems, it was just buzzworded into his pitch because he had literally heard the concept the day before.
My take on it wasnt that he would be designing and creating them, it was that he would drive the installation of them and use that as their USB

Also I had a look at Vanas dating site (just a look, please dont tell my fiance) and its not yet launched but shes changed the model to allow people to submit demos of their app games to be used on the app when it launches. Seems that would be taking away from the science, I'm not sure how much info you could get from playing Candy Crush

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Talking about this weird new 'business' speak, the amount of pitches that made no sense whatsoever this year was ridiculous. Just spewing random words.

Passionate

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 22, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Junkenstein posted:

Talking about this weird new 'business' speak, the amount of pitches that made no sense whatsoever this year was ridiculous. Just spewing random words.

Passionate

I loving hate passionate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

passion
ˈpaʃ(ə)n/Submit
noun
strong and barely controllable emotion.
"a man of impetuous passion"
the suffering and death of Jesus.
"meditations on the Passion of Christ"
synonyms: crucifixion, pain, suffering, agony, martyrdom; raremartyrization
"the Passion of Christ"

Which of these is supposed to be admirable in a business partner?

• Locked thread