Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1XP5YNrQI

Metal Gear Online is the online component of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

MGO is a 3rd person 8v8 ~tactical shooter~ that allows you to play one of three classes in one of three game modes on one of five maps. It is a little underfeatured compared to most games built from the ground up to be an online shooter but by virtue of being on the FOX engine can still provide a pretty interesting experience. Plus the maps have day and night modes, so that's like basically double. Currently the matchmaking is fucky and you can take a long time to get into a round but once you're in the experience can be very good. To paraphrase from some other thread title, 'the highs are very high and the lows are very frequent.'
The biggest frustration right now is getting into a match--selecting a game mode on Automatch can frequently 'fail to connect' requiring the player to search again. Going through the process is fortunately rather quick. In game issues, for me at least, have been very rare.

CLASSES
Each of the 3 classes gets access to different weapons and perks combined into loadouts. There are default loadouts and once you level up a class enough you begin to unlock ways to customize your own. The first class you choose will look like your dude in MGS5. You will unlock slots for the other classes relatively quickly so having one of each shouldn't be a problem.

ENFORCER
Enforcers are the 'big' class, with access to riot shields and big guns. They are harder to kill than the other classes. Later on they get a second primary weapon slot and an insane perk called Field Report that will let you see deaths and be made aware whenever somebody aims at you. You will not kill a decent enforcer with this/the Tank perk 1 on 1 as the other classes very often. The other two classes are pretty much built around supporting you, so take an active role in pushing objectives and such.

SCOUT
Scouts are the sniper/spotters in theory. They get perks that boost how long marks take to hold and how long they last and access to a wide variety of ranged weapons. Medium health. Eventually you will get NVG's that will spot cloaked Infiltrators which will make their lives extremely awful. Ideally scouts hang behind Enforcers and make sure they don't get flanked, mark enemies, and shoot enemy snipers in their stupid faces.

INFILTRATOR
Infiltrators are the stealth guys. They have access to a timed active camouflage that renders you somewhat invisible. This can be frustratingly overpowered or hilariously useless depending on whether or not the infiltrator in question is an idiot. The camo isn't meant to be perfect invisibility and in fact it's not that hard to see someone with active camo but you do have to take the time to look carefully. If you throw the camo on then run around sprinting in front of enemies you will get shot to tiny little pieces very quickly, but if you use it to flank and come up behind people it can be very useful and satisfying.

GAME MODES
Bounty Hunt--
Bog standard team deathmatch. Each team gets 30 lives, or maybe 25, lowest number of lives at the end of the round loses.

Cloak & Dagger--

One of my favorite game modes of any shooter I've ever played. A team of 8 Attackers are all permanently cloaked, with no access to lethal weapons. They are against a team of 8 defenders. The defenders prevent the attackers from capturing one of two data discs and returning them to one of two upload points with no respawns. This mode can be very tense as either team.

Command & Control--
Defending team controls 3 command points. Attacking team wants to take them. Taking a command point ticks your team's score up. You want your score to reach 100 before the timer reaches 0 as the attacking team.

USEFUL LINKS
When Do I Unlock Stuff For My Class?
https://www.reddit.com/r/mgo/comments/3nz95x/mgo_unlocks_and_upgrades_table/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I enjoy this game

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

OP you list three classes but we all know that Infiltrator is The One True Class

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did we really need a separate thread; the MGO discussion was already dying down in the main MGS5 thread.

I'm casual pubbie who only plays Bounty Hunter and Infiltrator but even I think it's unfair that Infiltrators get the best LMG and Hail Launcher lmao

Bounty Hunter is my favorite iteration of TDM ever since the fultoning mechanic can be hilariously frustrating or awesome

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 14, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Is the PC version of MGO still delayed until after the dev team is set to be liquidated or whatever, or will it be out sooner now?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Lakbay posted:

Did we really need a separate thread; the MGO discussion was already dying down in the main MGS5 thread.

I'm casual pubbie who only plays Bounty Hunter and Infiltrator but even I think it's unfair that Infiltrators get the best LMG and Hail Launcher lmao

Bounty Hunter is my favorite iteration of TDM ever since the fultoning mechanic can be hilariously frustrating or awesome

You say this but Infiltrator doesn't get the stability mods and the weight of heavier equipment makes you easier to shoot.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Every class has bullshit which is important when there are so few. The enforcer knowing when he's aimed at and the scout getting NVGS negates a lot of the horseshit of the infiltrator but they don't come til later.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Lakbay posted:

who cares?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shima Honnou posted:

Is the PC version of MGO still delayed until after the dev team is set to be liquidated or whatever, or will it be out sooner now?

still jan 2016 last i heard

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I sang the praises of the 3-burst AR the Enforcers get but I recede that praise. Due to the fact that your aim gets thrown off as you get shot, the gun is functionally useless in a fire-fight unless you are fighting against a blind person or surprise them. Stick with the default assault rifle.

That's the advice for every class, really.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'd say the MACHT37 smg has stronger auto-aim than even a AM-MRS4 with the muzzle brake/foregrip

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Has Konami or anyone made any announcements about planned content additions? All of the drama and whining (I am so loving tired of hearing about pachinko machines) makes it seem like Konami is never touching this game again but I'll be really sad if that's true.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Beyond obvious costumes stuff, I would be surprised if we don't get more maps and special characters although I can't think who... Skull Face? Miller as a Mei Ling type character who calls in airstrikes? Quiet would be difficult to implement because of her powers and they can't use Eli because the whole child killing thing. It's gotta be people who already have models in-game. loving Huey would criticize his teammates endlessly while secretly tking them and then blame them when the team loses.

Also hoping for more game modes.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 14, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

D-mines online are really finicky. I 9 times out of 10 I blow myself up. I think I'm going to stick with plushies.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

Beyond obvious costumes stuff, I would be surprised if we don't get more maps and special characters although I can't think who... Skull Face? Miller as a Mei Ling type character who calls in airstrikes? Quiet would be difficult to implement because of her powers and they can't use Eli because the whole child killing thing. It's gotta be people who already have models in-game. loving Huey would criticize his teammates endlessly while secretly tking them and then blame them when the team loses.

D-Dog obviously :colbert:.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Grey Fox or Raiden, there's also that barely used volgin model.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
gently caress playing as the man on fire would be cool as long as it's not dumb binary bullshit. I really don't know how I feel about special characters in general though. I got in at the tail end of MGO2 and they kind of really hosed up the balancing IIRC. I sort of like this game being a little more grounded. Right now my greatest wish is for at least a balance patch. The default AR is the best choice pretty much all of the time.

I do hope we get more maps. I keep discovering cool poo poo about the ones that already exist, they're really detailed.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

As a note, in my experience, comm control is the best XP to time by a noteworthy margin., cloak and dagger is most fun.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Jimbot posted:

I sang the praises of the 3-burst AR the Enforcers get but I recede that praise. Due to the fact that your aim gets thrown off as you get shot, the gun is functionally useless in a fire-fight unless you are fighting against a blind person or surprise them. Stick with the default assault rifle.

That's the advice for every class, really.

I'm really digging the UN-ARC for Scouts. Only 3 - 5 shots to drop any enemy and it's pretty accurate.

But in all honestly I just really want my crocodile cap (probably for the low low price of $.99).

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Also hoping for more game modes.

Paz shooting nukes out of her girl parts.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hi I'm a person who runs MGO groups a lot!! If you are ever online and I recognize your name and/or you are playing MGO when I form a group I'll invite ya. I always create parties through the goon community page, as well. Add gimearubdown (psn) to get in on it, since this game is infuriating if you get matched with people who constantly shoot knocked out people you're trying to fulton/interrogate.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

a cop posted:

Hi I'm a person who runs MGO groups a lot!! If you are ever online and I recognize your name and/or you are playing MGO when I form a group I'll invite ya. I always create parties through the goon community page, as well. Add gimearubdown (psn) to get in on it, since this game is infuriating if you get matched with people who constantly shoot knocked out people you're trying to fulton/interrogate.

I don't touch online modes too often but I just added you. Playing with pubbies is eh.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pladdicus posted:

As a note, in my experience, comm control is the best XP to time by a noteworthy margin., cloak and dagger is most fun.

I know everyone hates Bounty Hunter but me, but if you're good you can make around 30,000 XP in one high ticket (70~99) BH game.

Anyone know if within runspeeds you're faster or slower? Like if a 9.0kg runspeed B is faster than a 11.4kg runspeed B

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Cloak and dagger can give you good xp but only if you get a lot of neutralizations while on offense, which is extremely hit or miss.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm on PSN too as Sharzak. I guess I can dig my mic out of somewhere. I think organized Cloak and Dagger, where you don't get people sprinting around at full speed while cloaked, could be insanely fun.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Always spawn on your buddy. You can't move for a second but after you can sprint after someone and CQC them. The designers, the dumb loving morons they are, make you invincible when you respawn, even on buddies. So the enemy can impotently shoot at you while you can grab them. I do this all the time, so turn this idiot nonsense to you advantage.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like how you just burst into flames inexplicably when you spawn lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If you aren't sporting a Bullhorn stun shotgun and fultoning everyone you see in Bounty Hunter then I don't know what you are really trying to accomplish because someone is just going to take those tickets back from you

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Is this still going to release sometime in January for the PC or did they move that forward/back?

EDIT: Nevermind i'm bad at reading and should get new glasses apparently

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you aren't sporting a Bullhorn stun shotgun and fultoning everyone you see in Bounty Hunter then I don't know what you are really trying to accomplish because someone is just going to take those tickets back from you

A lot of people treat Bounty Hunter as TDM, and to me it seems like it's a fulton competition. The more kills someone has, the more likely the balance of the match can be shifted by one simple fulton.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Spending entire matches with no weapons equipped just fultoning and interrogating people is the best.

I'm just really hoping that they end up adding more maps and I hope that they add in the old Snake vs THE REST mode.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

FireWorksWell posted:

A lot of people treat Bounty Hunter as TDM, and to me it seems like it's a fulton competition. The more kills someone has, the more likely the balance of the match can be shifted by one simple fulton.

This basically makes playing Enforcer retarded on those maps.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

CountingWizard posted:

This basically makes playing Enforcer retarded on those maps.

MGO needs more game modes, but I don't know if we'll ever get actual content updates.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Do camo patterns that you buy count across classes, or is per class / per individual piece of clothing? It seems kind of crazy that I'd have to spend 3k points on a camo pattern for every class that I want it on, but I guess there isn't a whole lot else to spend it on right now.

Is there anything awesome that you get for ascending that I should be saving GP for?

edit: V- Jesus. Thanks for the quick response. I really want to put cool camo on all my dudes but 3k points is like 50 matches. That's pretty nuts.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 15, 2015

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Do camo patterns that you buy count across classes, or is per class / per individual piece of clothing? It seems kind of crazy that I'd have to spend 3k points on a camo pattern for every class that I want it on, but I guess there isn't a whole lot else to spend it on right now.

Is there anything awesome that you get for ascending that I should be saving GP for?

Patterns are unlocked per item.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

OneDeadman posted:

Spending entire matches with no weapons equipped just fultoning and interrogating
is the best.

I'm just really hoping that they end up adding more maps and I hope that they add in the old Snake vs THE REST mode.

I've finished up 60 ticket bounty hunter matches in first place with the lowest kills. It feels so good.

I also stun grenade myself a lot.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I could never play anything other than automatching because the possibility of making it to the end of something longer like a 60 ticket game and then having all the progress nulified by the host leaving is too real.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Do you get decreased XP from custom games, or just decreased GP?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I could never play anything other than automatching because the possibility of making it to the end of something longer like a 60 ticket game and then having all the progress nulified by the host leaving is too real.

This is why I leave long matches. The game is too bone-headedly designed as it is, so losing all that progress would give me an ulcer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I have over 6,000 GP and haven't bought any gear. The game says it has no tactical advantage and is only cosmetic... but some of the item descriptions says it allows better armor and carrying more explosives? Which is it?

Also they need to outright take away stealth camo from infiltrators. It doesn't add anything to bounty hunter and comm control and ruins cloak and dagger. All people do now is run around as an invisible infiltrator with an m4. It's obnoxious. Yeah, they aren't that hard to see usually, unless you're playing a map at night or in the rain.

The game is really fun and addicting though. And I want to play with you goons. I wish they'd bring back written chat though :(

• Locked thread