Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

I could never play anything other than automatching because the possibility of making it to the end of something longer like a 60 ticket game and then having all the progress nulified by the host leaving is too real.

Play with goons. Playing MGO solo is an exercise in frustration and inanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Orv posted:

Play with goons. Playing MGO solo is an exercise in frustration and inanity.

i love how the mgo ps4 community never has any parties up

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Tyree posted:

I've been busy ok!!!!

But yeah, anyone can start one. It's just a bit of work because there's no way to use the community page to send out invites, unless you do it individually one by one to people who may or may not be online because it doesn't order them by who's online. You just have to create a party, have a large enough stable of people who you play with regularly to be able to populate it immediately, and then wait and hope that people join to fill in the rest of the gaps.

So like, if you want to do that, go ahead man!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Question for anybody else that picked up the PS4 Digital Edition: what ever happened to the XP boost and weapon skins for MGO that came with it? I got the single-player stuff like the camo and cardboard boxes, but I never saw anything about the MGO stuff. Is there some code I was supposed to enter?

edit: To clarify, I don't mean the CE items, I just mean the Day One stuff. Though that REX helmet makes me regret not picking up the CE :(

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Question for anybody else that picked up the PS4 Digital Edition: what ever happened to the XP boost and weapon skins for MGO that came with it? I got the single-player stuff like the camo and cardboard boxes, but I never saw anything about the MGO stuff. Is there some code I was supposed to enter?

edit: To clarify, I don't mean the CE items, I just mean the Day One stuff. Though that REX helmet makes me regret not picking up the CE :(

I didn't actually put my code in for a while but there was one that came in the game box. Once you do that you have to go to the store and "download" the xp boost. It doesn't cost any money I think because I put in the code. IDK how long the boost lasts or how much it's boosting. I don't see anything on the screen saying it's there, but I'm getting higher xp in games now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tyree posted:

I think people just don't think about them. Communities are still fairly new

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ausmund posted:

I have over 6,000 GP and haven't bought any gear. The game says it has no tactical advantage and is only cosmetic... but some of the item descriptions says it allows better armor and carrying more explosives? Which is it?

Also they need to outright take away stealth camo from infiltrators. It doesn't add anything to bounty hunter and comm control and ruins cloak and dagger. All people do now is run around as an invisible infiltrator with an m4. It's obnoxious. Yeah, they aren't that hard to see usually, unless you're playing a map at night or in the rain.

The game is really fun and addicting though. And I want to play with you goons. I wish they'd bring back written chat though :(

Being able to get hit and shoot without losing its effect is what breaks it. If they changed that and give it a cooldown timer after being spotted before using it then it may be alright. And I say this as someone who is one of them bullshit Infiltrators.

Edit: One thing I would like is Enforcers should be able to toggle the fire mode of various weapons. 3-round burst is good for ambush but when you get shot it's useless because of how you reel from getting shot. So it would make that last AR a bit more useful and differentiate the class more. But that makes sense so it probably won't ever happen. Same with the stealth camo. They're probably going to focus on milking MGO with micro-transactions then shut it down as soon as they see a dip in profits.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 16, 2015

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

My Collector's Edition extras were under the add ons for MGSV in the PS Store. Maybe the Day One stuff is there too. I love my awful REX helmet.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think people just don't think about them. Communities are still fairly new
Plus they're buried in the Friends menu and the Party thing is buried under the Community group itself.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ausmund posted:

I have over 6,000 GP and haven't bought any gear. The game says it has no tactical advantage and is only cosmetic... but some of the item descriptions says it allows better armor and carrying more explosives? Which is it?

Also they need to outright take away stealth camo from infiltrators. It doesn't add anything to bounty hunter and comm control and ruins cloak and dagger. All people do now is run around as an invisible infiltrator with an m4. It's obnoxious. Yeah, they aren't that hard to see usually, unless you're playing a map at night or in the rain.

The game is really fun and addicting though. And I want to play with you goons. I wish they'd bring back written chat though :(
You've already got enough GP to buy every piece of costume gear except the kojima glasses and a beret. Just buy the tac suits for each class and forget about it.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I've discovered the secret truth: Scout is an amazing class. The UN-ARC is a great semi-auto rifle, and with the red dot sight and muzzle break it cleans up all but the longest sightlines. The night vision goggles are great for someone unobservant like me, since I can see enemies bright as day. And a few good E-Locator throws will give you hundreds of EXP for the marks and assists alone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'll be honest

I play infiltrator and not scout because I am a pc gamer at heart and can't aim for poo poo with a controller.

Luckily with my Bullhorn and CQC I don't need to! :v:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Anyone wanna play some mgo tonight??

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ugh whoever mentioned Bounty Hunter becoming Fulton competitions is completely right, it ruins the point of the maps when the actual spot people will be fighting over is decided in the first 30 seconds (probably 10-15 if you're playing Rush mode) and getting kills is actually BAD as the enemies will just come back with their stealth camo on and toss their instant detonation stun grenades at you until you pass out, by which point you've gotten like a 5+ bounty so you get Fultoned and lose for your team because they are busying being knocked out themselves or being generally unhelpful.

Also i've now unlocked the E-Locator grenades on all 3 classes? What is even the point of different classes if they all get the same poo poo? :psyduck:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My solution to Bounty Hunter is to force the other guy into killing me if I think things are going wrong. Diving on the ground is a good counter to CQC seeing as kicking you in the head isn't as devastating as maybe it should be.

Stun grenades are a guaranteed stun if they are close enough. I don't really know how to deal with them other than keep moving and gtfo of anywhere that is being saturated with them as soon as you can and maybe you'll be lucky?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If you get Rush on Camp Omega, you can automatically win the game if you control the rooftop overlooking the one spawn point. Unless you spam every grenade type and knock out the entire team at once, they will never lose their position, no matter how coordinated you may be.

Chomp8645 posted:

Bounty is a cool concept for a game mode but at the same time "concept" is the point at which its designer(s) stopped putting any loving thought into how it would play out.

The designers didn't put any thought into MGO whatsoever. So it's best to find what the most broken fool-proof strategy to milk the most points out of a match you can then stick with it. Or whatever dumb thing brings you joy (for me it's the sleep grenade launcher and Fulton cannons). Things won't change. Mainly because the designers are idiots who wouldn't know how to change them for the better and the fact that Konami is just a front for the yakuza at this point. They're looking for an excuse to shut down MGO.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 17, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Bounty is a cool concept for a game mode but at the same time "concept" is the point at which its designer(s) stopped putting any loving thought into how it would play out.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In case anyone wanted to use the under-barrel grenade launcher. Spit on the ground. That splat is large than the kill radius for that launcher. Don't bother unless you are a savant at sniping people or want to cause people to flip out from the explosions. Stick to the LTL grenade launcher since the gas goes through walls and cover. Instead put the foregrip on it and turn that assault rifle into a sniper rifle.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I like MGO3. It has some great shooter mechanics, probably the best I've seen in awhile, and some stuff you can use is just hilariously broken and OP. It seems like it's designed for casual fun and not taking it too seriously which is exactly the kind of online AAA poo poo I tend to enjoy the most. I think people may have expected more tho.

I'll have a party up on the community tonight if anyone wants to play.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

For anyone who isn't aware, people who are prone may be CQC'd nearly just as easily as people who are standing/crouching. However, instead of stick + R2, you need to crouch and then immediately hold R2 in range. You will grab them off the ground at which point you may interrogate/kill or slam them to knock them out. All in all it's probably only a fraction of a second shorter than normal standing CQC, and many people think they're immune to said tactics when they're prone, so you often have plenty of time to grab em up.

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 18, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Why do I see so many people's using the dive online, is there some trick with it I'm missing?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

a cop posted:

For anyone who isn't aware, people who are prone may be CQC'd nearly just as easily as people who are standing/crouching. However, instead of stick + R2, you need to crouch and then immediately hold R2 in range. You will grab them off the ground at which point you may interrogate/kill or slam them to knock them out. All in all it's probably only a fraction of a second shorter than normal standing CQC, and many people think they're immune to said tactics when they're prone, so you often have plenty of time to grab em up.

Good to know! I've actually found myself in more and more situations where this is handy info!

Broseph Brostar posted:

Why do I see so many people's using the dive online, is there some trick with it I'm missing?

The only real "trick" to it is that you can spam the dive over and over in one direction and keep up with a dude that is sprinting.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's good for dodging bullets, people usually fire high.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it also knocks people over if you dive into them

you also cannot be CQCd while diving

diving is awesome

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the dive is also a great way to go in for an attack if the enemy sees you and is standing there ready to cqc

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Don't ascend. If you do, don't use automatch with that character. I ascended on my Enforcer and now I get into half-filled games with other level 1 ascended people. That's if I'm lucky. Most of the time it's me and 3 other people. So if you want gear points, just stay on 37 then milk that as much as you can.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Moola posted:

it also knocks people over if you dive into them

you also cannot be CQCd while diving

diving is awesome
Yeah unless they're quick at aiming or you miss AND they immediately crouch to CQC you, they can send you reeling over and over.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Made a MGO party in the community, join up!

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I love this stupid game. Can you change your Slot 2 or 3 characters' faces? Or only the first one?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

yellowjournalism posted:

I love this stupid game. Can you change your Slot 2 or 3 characters' faces? Or only the first one?

Only the first one unless you actually delete the Slot 2 or 3 characters.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

In It For The Tank posted:

Only the first one unless you actually delete the Slot 2 or 3 characters.
but they make up for that by never allowing you to change gender or class on slot 1

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Alright, this is going to sound really stupid... but how do you aim and shoot? I can only get a kill if someone is standing completely still. But even if I'm running or on a Walker gear I get murdered in mere seconds. This is what I find so frustrating about multiplayer shooting games. I just don't get how other people kill me so loving fast.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ausmund posted:

Alright, this is going to sound really stupid... but how do you aim and shoot? I can only get a kill if someone is standing completely still. But even if I'm running or on a Walker gear I get murdered in mere seconds. This is what I find so frustrating about multiplayer shooting games. I just don't get how other people kill me so loving fast.

Don't really know how to answer this... there really isn't much in terms of shooting mechanics (bullet drop, target leading, whatever).

For Walker Gear your front is armored but the back is entirely exposed, so it's wise to treat it more as a defensive turret than a bum rushing tank.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Bring a shield if you want to use a walker. It gives you a bit more protection in the back.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Ausmund posted:

Autoaim like crazy. Aiming over the shoulder is literally more accurate than shooting in first person (try shooting at a wall in freeplay, the recoil pattern in shoulder aim is a circle centered in your crosshairs, whereas in FPS it's a vertical line upwards). But really, abuse autoaim. Practice tapping L-whatever to re-aim and lock back on. Auto-aim will also "follow" a running target a little, so learn to use that too. I generally never go into FPS unless I'm using optics and need to make a headshot. Otherwise, you can pretty much snipe over the shoulder.

Burst and also rapid semi at mid range+. In a walker gear, don't use full auto unless defending against CQC. Burst that thing like crazy. The MRS-4 can get away with the most full-auto but even then, I'll shoot a burst first and then tap tap tap.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Don't really know how to answer this... there really isn't much in terms of shooting mechanics (bullet drop, target leading, whatever).

For Walker Gear your front is armored but the back is entirely exposed, so it's wise to treat it more as a defensive turret than a bum rushing tank.

Really? Because I feel like there is a lot of travel time/bullet drop. Learning to compensate for it was fun? I think I'm just excusing all of this game's flaws for the antics you can get up to. Been having some really great moments and am v sad that this probably won't last very long.

Also dogg you are trippinnn the walker gear is a bum rushing MONSTER

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

1.01 patch notes posted:

[Auto-matching]
- You will now be matched with players of similar level to your highest character level.
- It is now less likely to join a host with poor network connection.

[Mission Adjustments]
- The game will now end once all teammates are stunned or tranquilized in CLOAK AND DAGGER.

[Loadout/Equipment Adjustments]
- The "E.LOCATOR" will now only available for the Scout class.
- Machines guns and launchers will now only be available for the Enforcer class.
- Shotguns will now only available for the Infiltrator class.
* As a result of these changes, custom loadouts will be initialized during the maintenance period following the update patch.

[Character Ability Adjustments]
- Overall movement speed will be increased.
- Mobility has been re-balanced to allow faster travelling between objectives.
- Infiltrators will have health and stamina decreased.
- Enforcers will have health and stamina increased.
- Scouts will have health increased.
- Scouts will be able to mark targets more quickly while using binoculars.

[Weapon Adjustments]
- Firing sway for Machine Guns will be reduced.
- Weapon sway will be reduced overall when aiming in first-person view.
- Damage inflicted by the Walker Gear's Gatling gun will be reduced.
- Walker Gears and Anti-Aircraft will now take more damage from certain weapons.
- Weapon damage of certain weapons are being adjusted for better balance.
- Damage value on the ISANDO RGL-220" will be significantly reduced.
- Reduced ammo count on "ISANDO RGL-220" .
- Max carry for "E.LOCATOR,""STUN GRENADE," and "SLEEP GRENADE" will be reduced.
- The throwing arch of the Empty Magazine will be invisible to enemies.
- The noise radius made by Empty Magazines when they land will be expanded.

[Item Adjustments]
- Max carry amount of "C.BOX" will be increased.

[Stealth Camo (STEALTH CAMO.PP) adjustments while using the STEALTH CAMO+ Ability]
- Stealth camo will be temporarily disabled when taking damage.
- Battery life will be reduced, and battery will take longer to charge.
- Marking time for cloaked players will be reduced.
- Cloaked players detected with NVG will be marked in standard marking time.

[CQC Adjustments]
- Range for CQC grabs will be narrowed.
- Icon for CQC grabs will no longer be displayed.
- Non-lethal damage done by CQC hits and grabs will be reduced.
- 1-hit CQC knock-outs will become exclusive to Infiltrators with "CQC STEALTH+" Lv.2 or higher.

[Fulton Adjustments]
- Fulton speed when using "FULTON+" Lv.2 or greater will be slowed.
- When a player fultons an enemy, the fulton balloon and the enemy will be invincible to other teammates.

[Buddy System Adjustments]
- Time required to establish a buddy link using the link action will be shortened.
- Link action will succeed regardless of the direction your character is facing, as long as you are in range.
- The buddy gauge will now clear at the beginning of each round.

[Other Adjustments]
- Search filters in "SELECT MATCH" will be now saved.
- Countdown time on the Spawn screen has been extended from 10 seconds to 15 seconds.

Pretty big shakeup coming

Orv
May 4, 2011
Those are all... really good. Huh, I wasn't expecting any post support for this much less actual meaningful balance stuff.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
mainly good stuff

but I don't like sound of matching based on your highest character

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Man they nerfed the hell out of Infiltrator. I guess it kinda needed it. Not too big of a fan about removing the cqc indicator, it can be kind of a pain lining things up even with it.

Fultoned enemies invincible to teammates, thank christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Moola posted:

mainly good stuff

but I don't like sound of matching based on your highest character

Yeah I'd much rather they didn't let you switch character between maps instead so I was always in an appropriate lobby.

Then again I never use match making so whatever.

• Locked thread