Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ThaGhettoJew posted:

I thought it was something like "Bustenhalter" or bosom-holder. Dang it. High school German class made me incorrectly gigglous. Anyway "Bustier" looks more Francophone to me.

yeah. "Brassiere" = Büstenhalter, "bra" = B.H. (pronounced "bay haw")

It was a big deal when we learned that word in seventh grade. Run up to the girls, "Hallo, Sarah, trägst du eine B.H.???" *run away giggling*

the coolest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this reminded me that the opposite of hanson is shakira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9HZH_P_5qM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

El Burbo posted:

In case you missed it, Stefan aka Robbie Rotten was inspired by memes and livestreamed a performance of We Are Number One on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/WeAreNumberOneLiveEvent/videos/551909668347068/

We Are Number One But It's Sideways And They Aren't In Costume And It's In A Recording Studio

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We Are Number One But It's A Bunch Of Posts About The Song On A Dying Comedy Forum For Idiots

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Reminder that Homer is only supposed to be around 225-250 in weight.

yeah i think in the episode where he becomes disabled due to weight, he starts out at 239 (and is disabled at 300 lbs).

the median american man today weighs 196lbs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I love these things, whatever they are, but holy poo poo this one is the best so far

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, heart attacks are very survivable these days if you catch it fast (say, when you are on an airplane surrounded by people instead of at home alone) and you have good supportive care (as a wealthy movie star does).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that emt is gonna have a great party story

"oh, yeah, that's pretty cool, but did I tell you about the time I was on an airplane and saved princess leia from a heart attack?"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a really good joke about a UDP packet but I'm not sure if anyone would get it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they broke the NYC cab drivers' strike on JFK airport, implying that they support the illegal immigration order that the cab drivers were striking against. Or at least that they intended to profit from it.

they're poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It took me a really long time to realize that that yellow cube with a wheel stuck on it is supposed to be a car, somehow

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

both are wrong to do

otoh have you considered: punching nazis is cool and good

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Who What Now posted:

You guys overhype'd the ending of the sex call video and I was disappointed.

but it has...a Vagánia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qft

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, it is. It's from the pilot episode of Miami Vice, which was one of the first TV shows to be shot in that film-like cinematographic style, and also one of the first to use contemporary popular music on its soundtrack. At the time, no one had seen anything like that in a TV show before, and it became a watershed moment in the perception of television as a dramatic medium.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Should I loving watch miami vice? Like, was the whole show good or was it just that episode or that scene and the rest was mediocre garbage? Becase that scene made me wanna check it out, but i asked myself "why aren't more people talking about going back and watching it if it were that good?"

You know how Aliens and Die Hard basically created the modern action movie genre, so when you show them to someone today who hasn't seen them they're like "this is the most clichéd poo poo ever" but that's because those movies invented those clichés in the first place?

Miami Vice is that for two things: the high-budget high-stakes cop show, and the visual style of the mid-1980s. It created the cop show where the policemen make morally questionable decisions, where they don't always get their man, where police force and political corruption stops investigations. And the image of the pastel suits, the feathered blond hair, the neon lights, the white Ferrari -- the show created that style, not the other way around.

Some of the episodes are dumb and meant to be comedic, and you'll have to get past the problem with two "undercover" police officers driving around in a white Testarossa and showing up at every drug bust in Miami for five years and somehow never blowing their cover. And eventually the show suffers from the raising-the-stakes problem that every TV show does, so it builds up from Tubbs loading his shotgun in the car in the pilot episode, to Bruce Willis blowing up an airplane with a rocket launcher a few seasons in.

Oh, yeah, there are a lot of roles played by celebrities before they were famous, too. In particular, I really like Edward James Olmos' Lt. Castillo, who shows up halfway through the first season and becomes the best character on the show.

I enjoy the show a lot and I'd say yes, take a look at it keeping in mind that it was the progenitor of all the clichés you'll see, not an imitator.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

He was a dildo king / He said I like dildocking / He wasn't good enough for her

lomarf

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush