Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

AndrewP posted:

loving up a concert in Guitar Hero Live while getting disapproving looks from your band is the funniest goddamned thing and had me giggling like an idiot.

There's a super weird possibly codependent part of my brain that feels really bad when this happens, "hey man all those kids paid good money to have a good time and you are ruining it for them you loving dick, get your poo poo together"

vvv huh? It compares scores with your friends? Since I'm the only one I know playing I'd never noticed. Vvv

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 7, 2016

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if I hang in the top 100 because I have guitar upgrades and I only play GHTV anymore. Comparing a random FC of mine to the score hero top score mine is more than double so I'm not really sure how to compare.

Does scorehero seriously not have GHTV songs up there and only the on disc stuff? Because meh.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Also the fact that score multiplier is gated behind coins is a kick in the pants to try and chase scores

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there a recommended path for the guitar upgrades? I would think it's increasing the multiplier to 8x and then upgrading the notes point value. No?

Also, does the whammy bar actually do anything in this game? I am so used to using it on sustained notes in RB to gain more Overdrive, but does doing it on sustained notes in GHL raise your score more?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ugh, I'm not sure what it is but I cannot get comfortable with the timing of this game. I have tried calibrating it but it still seems like I miss notes that I shouldn't be. I think the problem is that if you hit a note way early, it's fine, but if you are even sliiightly late, forget it.

I tend to play the way I actually play the guitar, so I generally hit the neck button and strum at the same time. GH doesn't like this and sometimes registers those as missed notes. If I purposefully play in a way that I am hitting neck buttons noticeably earlier than I strum and play everything slighty ahead of the beat, it registers all the notes. But that doesn't feel anything like playing a real guitar so what's the point?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Astro7x posted:

Is there a recommended path for the guitar upgrades? I would think it's increasing the multiplier to 8x and then upgrading the notes point value. No?

Also, does the whammy bar actually do anything in this game? I am so used to using it on sustained notes in RB to gain more Overdrive, but does doing it on sustained notes in GHL raise your score more?

For recommended path, who cares. To top leaderboards you'll need them all anyway, and ranking higher only gives you status and not extra coins, so you don't really get any benefit out of having a higher score (other than letting you 5-star songs you otherwise wouldn't normally I guess)

The whammy bar does not appear to do anything, though I've never used the score multiplier powerup but I'm guessing that just has a fixed length like the other powerups so whammying sustained notes won't give you any benefit. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong!

AndrewP posted:

Ugh, I'm not sure what it is but I cannot get comfortable with the timing of this game. I have tried calibrating it but it still seems like I miss notes that I shouldn't be. I think the problem is that if you hit a note way early, it's fine, but if you are even sliiightly late, forget it.

I tend to play the way I actually play the guitar, so I generally hit the neck button and strum at the same time. GH doesn't like this and sometimes registers those as missed notes. If I purposefully play in a way that I am hitting neck buttons noticeably earlier than I strum and play everything slighty ahead of the beat, it registers all the notes. But that doesn't feel anything like playing a real guitar so what's the point?

I have a friend who plays very similarly and he was getting very frustrated the other night. It's definitely more forgiving of early notes (especially HOPOs, it almost feels like GH3). Just takes some getting used to.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kumbamontu posted:

For recommended path, who cares. To top leaderboards you'll need them all anyway, and ranking higher only gives you status and not extra coins, so you don't really get any benefit out of having a higher score (other than letting you 5-star songs you otherwise wouldn't normally I guess)

Blah, for real? I guess it doesn't change based on your score...

I guess you get a pittance of 5-10 coins based on the star ranking. I also thought you got some bonus for ranking in the top 3, no? Or a strong finish? I think I'll just dump all my coins into plays then.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting, so coins have a tiny score component based on # of stars. Didn't know that. At any rate, that 10 coin difference between 3 and 5 is nothing to worry about and pales in comparison to just playing every day for the daily bonus, so just buy them in whatever order. Higher multiplier is obviously the best one to start with if you really care.

It's amazing how much better I am at 3-note chords now as compared to even a week or two ago. Only one that trips me up now is Black-White-Black because my fingers don't naturally go to that position very well. Progress!

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
This week’s GHTV update features three songs by Def Leppard and a mixed bag of Indie Rock songs!

Def Leppard: On Through The Ages

Def Leppard – Dangerous
Def Leppard – Let’s Go
Def Leppard – Rock of Ages
Prize: “Union Jack Prize” (Highway)

Indie Rock Anthems

The Strokes – You Only Live Once
Miles Kane – Don’t Forget Who You Are
SKATERS – Miss Teen Massachusetts
Prize: Double Coins – 4 Songs

Now available On Demand:

Pierce The Veil – Bulls In The Bronx
Sheppard – Geronimo
5 Seconds of Summer – She Looks So Perfect
Sky Ferreira – You’re Not The One
Marilyn Manson – Deep Six
Bring Me The Horizon – Drown

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
GHTV via Jason_Paradise:

PlayStation Events has been updated. New songs this week are:

Seasick Steve - Summertime Boy
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Crossfire
Jack White - Freedom at 21

Only Real - Can't Get Happy
Rival State - Keepsake
Slaves - Cheer Up London

The big thing is there's also an event called "The fire is coming" that starts on February 3rd. Could this be TTFAF? Maybe an update to Rivals at the same time? Pros only? The plot thickens!

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
GHTV has a 3rd channel now that has Rivals Mode pretty much every single song

Cry of Achilles, Through The Fire and Flames, Hangar 18, Strife, Ghost Walking

just those songs on a loop

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I played this for about three hours after my friends dragged me out to their house and i've concluded that its pretty fun. However i'm never going to buy it because holy poo poo those DLC practices are awful jesus christ.

Still, in those three hours I went from loving up on normal to five starring songs on advanced. Not so bad to pick up, which is good.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

dogstile posted:

However i'm never going to buy it because holy poo poo those DLC practices are awful jesus christ.

This is surprising to hear cause I think the DLC for this game is leagues ahead of the RB4 DLC given that I can play literally every song without spending a penny

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kumbamontu posted:

This is surprising to hear cause I think the DLC for this game is leagues ahead of the RB4 DLC given that I can play literally every song without spending a penny

All I know is that after an hour of playing songs we actually liked we couldn't play songs we actually liked without paying or playing a song we didn't like.

After a few hours we just got out our old copies of GH2/3 and played whatever the gently caress we wanted to play.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
It's definitely subjective. I like it much more than old Rock Band stuff - sure, I'd replay Stone Roses over and over, but that also meant I never touched 95% of the songs even once, so I never discovered good new stuff.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
To each their own I guess!

I used to be all about score chasing and playing the songs I wanted to but now that GHTV is a thing I much prefer the model of playing whatever comes up instead of playing the same tired songs over and over again

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

dogstile posted:

I played this for about three hours after my friends dragged me out to their house and i've concluded that its pretty fun. However i'm never going to buy it because holy poo poo those DLC practices are awful jesus christ.

Still, in those three hours I went from loving up on normal to five starring songs on advanced. Not so bad to pick up, which is good.

GH Live is less about score chasing, and more about jumping in and playing some new music on shuffle pretty much.

If you want to play the same song over and over again to get a top score, Rock Band is your game.

I have both, and personally like being able to just play new music without paying for it with GH Live

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I like the GT Live curation. Introduces me to music I've never heard before and poo poo doesn't get stale

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty much. I never would have known I'd actually enjoy playing a Luke Bryan song, or a song with Demi Lovato in it, or that song by Walk Off the Earth, if it weren't for GHTV

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I'd also point out that it takes a few weeks but you eventually hit a point where there is nothing to spend coins on but plays, I now have around 100 plays built up buying those 15000 coin packs and haven't spent a dime.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

I like this model - everything's available, just not all the time, for the cost of the game. (And given how often it's gone on sale, you're basically paying for the guitar.)

I do wish there was a $3 for a particular song whenever for life option though. They could've done a hybrid.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
The events for the new premium shows for this week are up on PS4.

Ballads of Love (2/9-2/16)

Arms Around Your Love - Chris Cornell
The Reason - Hoobastank
Iris - Goo Goo Dolls

Requirements:
Love Don't Die - The Fray
Oh Love - Green Day
Can't Let Go - Heaven's Basement

Reward: Roses player card

Love on the Rocks (2/9-2/23)

You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi
Heartbreaker - Mothead
I Believe in a Thing Called Love - The Darkness

Requirements:

Down with the Sickness - Disturbed
What Doesn't Kill You - Jake Bugg
Use Me - Hinder

Reward: Roses highway

And the Nominees Are... (2/9-2/23)

Ex's & Oh's - Elle King
Lydia - Highly Suspect
Nobody Really Cares If You Don't Go to the Party - Courtney Barnett

Requirements:

Cool Kids - Echosmith
Little Games - The Colourist
Shut Up and Dance - Walk the Moon

Reward: Booster pack

Also, the 10 player cards in the store this week are all on sale for 800 coins each:

Sonic Compass
Meteor Shower
Gooey Eyes
Color Rods
Rock Eagle
Doughnut
Blue Fist
Gross Pink
Freestyle Robot
Prismatic Triangle

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I made some nerd on reddit blow a gasket because I made fun of him for wanting to add K-Pop songs to GH:TV

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

vyst posted:

I made some nerd on reddit blow a gasket because I made fun of him for wanting to add K-Pop songs to GH:TV

nice

i'm sad that shred-a-thon thing is gone already. that was fun

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Happy Valentine's Day! Rock Hero 4 and Guitar Hero Live fail to sell well, but Activision vowed they'll still support GHL this "cycle."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rexroom posted:

Happy Valentine's Day! Rock Hero 4 and Guitar Hero Live fail to sell well, but Activision vowed they'll still support GHL this "cycle."

Isn't there some disclaimer thing that says GHTV will only be supported until a specific date?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Has anyone compiled a list of what songs are on each of the stations?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Isn't there some disclaimer thing that says GHTV will only be supported until a specific date?

No, they said they reserve the right to terminate it

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
2/23 Premium Shows

Trailerblazers: UK Rising (2/23-3/1)
Cut Me and I'll Bleed - Blossoms
Glass Built Castles - Black Peaks
Future Pleasures - WHITE

Reward: UK Rising player card

Rock the Ages: 1994 (2/23-3/1)
The Day I Tried to Live - Soundgarden
Albatross - Corrosion of Conformity
Say It Ain't So - Weezer

Reward: Persian Rug highway

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Those shows suck. The Persian carpet highway sounds cool though

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

vyst posted:

Those shows suck. The Persian carpet highway sounds cool though

UK Rising is really fun actually, especially the Black Peaks song

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Hair Metal Mayhem

Poison – Nothin’ but a Good Time
Mötley Crüe – Girls, Girls, Girls
L.A. Guns – Rip and Tear

Back to the Eighties

Quiet Riot – Bang Your Head (Metal Health)
Europe – Rock the Night
Lita Ford – Kiss Me Deadly

Stadium Rock Anthems

Bon Jovi – Livin’ on a Prayer
Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar on Me
KISS – Crazy Crazy Nights

In addition to those shows, the following songs are now available on-demand.

Black Peaks – Glass Built Castles
Blossoms – Cut Me and I’ll Bleed
Corrosion of Conformity – Albatross
Soundgarden – The Day I Tried to Live
Weezer – Say It Ain’t So
WHITE – Future Pleasures
Wolfmother – Love Train
Wolfmother – New Moon Rising
Wolfmother – Victorious

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

So if I was considering buying this, should I not? I don't want to buy it and then a few months down the road GHTV doesn't exist anymore

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Tiny Lowtax posted:

So if I was considering buying this, should I not? I don't want to buy it and then a few months down the road GHTV doesn't exist anymore

I think they said they are supporting it for at least a year

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Well, they said they were going to support it this console generation, so the most optimistic estimation would be until PS4 support ends.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Should you buy Guitar Hero Live?

Yes

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Rock the Ages: 2003

Incubus – Megalomaniac
Chevelle – Send the Pain Below
Marilyn Manson – mOBSCENE
Women That Rock

St. Vincent – Birth in Reverse
Deap Valley – Gonna Make My Own Money
Halestorm – Apocalyptic

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
We’ve got three brand new GHTV shows available for you. One of them is themed around St. Patrick’s Day and the other two have a distinctly Austin flavour (presumably for SXSW, and not for the upcoming 3/16). Check out what’s coming below:

St. Patrick’s Day Party

Flogging Molly – Drunken Lullabies
Two Door Cinema Club – What You Know
Ash – Burn Baby Burn

Austin Rocks!

The Gills – Rubberband
Worriers – Most Space
Lyger – Stroke

Best of Austin

Puppy – The Great Beyond
Dilly Dally – Purple Rage
The Family Rain – What Are You Afraid Of?

In addition, we’ve got a bunch of songs being added to the on-demand catalogue.

Bon Jovi – Livin’ on a Prayer
Chevelle – Send the Pain Below
Deap Vally – Gonna Make My Own Money
Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar on Me
Halestorm – Apocalyptic
Incubus – Megalomaniac
KISS – Crazy Crazy Nights
Marilyn Manson – mOBSCENE
St. Vincent – Birth in Reverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
In what’s sure to be a memorable week for GHTV, we have two brand new shows being added to the game. The first one brings us three great hip-hop tunes, including the Guitar Hero debut of Kanye West! The other one is more traditional GH fare with a trio of modern punk tracks. Let’s take a look at the song list:

Rock vs. Hip Hop

Kid Cudi ft. Kanye West – Erase Me
Liam Bailey ft. A$AP Ferg – Villain
Kevin Rudolf ft. Lil Wayne – Let It Rock

Punk Rock Connection

The Gaslight Anthem – The ’59 Sound
Four Year Strong – Go Down in History
Anti-Flag ft. Tim Armstrong – Brandenburg Gate

In addition to those two shows, last week’s Best of Austin show is still available to play. The following songs have also been added to the on-demand catalogue:

Ash – Burn Baby Burn
Flogging Molly – Drunken Lullabies
The Gills – Rubberband
Lyger – Stroke
Two Door Cinema Club – What You Know
Worriers – Most Space

• Locked thread