Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Earwicker posted:

Ulysses isn't impenetrable, but if you aren't an Irish Catholic from the early 1900s - or someone who happens to do a lot of research on that place and period I guess - then I would say there is a hell of a lot of the book you are likely to miss without reading a guide of some sort, or reading it in a class.

I was reading Machado de Assis and first there was a bit where the local priest was promoted to, like, Protonotary Apothecary and im like, ok, it's something important, he's almost a notary

and then a few pages later they're carrying a Sacharist to a sick woman's house and they needed four Trenoticulars to hold the canopy under which the bishop marched with the Nonuterian Escapole and im like jesus loving christ speak english

if you go to museums in Portugal or Spain you're likely to come across absurdly ornamental golden devices which look like a sun, through which you're supposed to look at the eucharist in some medieval ritual (???). I can't be hosed to google what they're called

Catholicism ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread