Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neener
Apr 23, 2010
Ever start a book that throws you right into the deep end? And you have no idea what's going on? Basically has a bunch of its own rules initially unexplained, or tons of characters unexplained, or scientific/metaphysical metaphysics unexplained, or a complicated history unexplained, and you have to figure it out as you go along? I think those can be great, and a lot of fun to figure out! Let's share books which were initially confusing but eventually made complete sense and end up being awesome.

I submit Übermensch, by Mathew Babaoye. Gutsy debut, really imaginative hard science fiction novel from the perspective of a biosynthetic post-human slave. But it starts as an unexplained diary of that slave waking up for the first time in a blank white room, then heading out into different scenes flashing by, like its teleporting around, before meeting multiple versions of a techno-god Master at strange dawn on the roof of a kilometers tall Tower. Crazy. A bunch of initially unexplained technology and futuristic shenanigans. The first chapters are more of the same, all of them like a series of crazy, fantastic, mysterious little slices of life - things appear and disappear, or change shape, and you are confused as to why things are happening. But slowly you get hints and pick things up until the world starts to make sense... and then suddenly these characters are in a fantasy world on a quest to kill a dragon! Yeah. Weird, but really cool once you figure it out.

So what other books throw you right in the deep end?

Neener fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neener
Apr 23, 2010
Lots of amazing picks in this thread. Probably read 75% of them (the rest are on my list now) so clearly I have a type, haha. I've been reading Gravity's Rainbow recently and... yeah. In the deep end once again.

• Locked thread