Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Metal Gear Solid 2 has one of the great openings in video game history. The atmosphere, the scale of snake's jump, the codec portraits actually being in full 3D instead of being 2D sprites. And people are still finding new secrets in this classic opening, even now! Next time you start a new game, try this: after the cutscene ends, move the left analog stick. This will make snake walk around, allowing you to explore more of the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

no they will not posted:

It's absolutely insane how much depth Kojima puts in these games. In MGS2, in the fight against vamp, instead of the standard ending to the fight (running into the water in the middle of the room and drowning immediately) it's actually possible to use the gun you find elsewhere on the plant against vamp, reducing his health to what is essentially zero. And guess what - there's actually a whole chunk of extra story if you do this. Looks like the dev team really does think of everything.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I have this problem with 3 op. I'm pretty good t metal gear but I've put 60 hours into 3 and I still cant get to sokolov on the virtuous mission without getting spotted

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Benny D posted:

I have this problem with 3 op. I'm pretty good t metal gear but I've put 60 hours into 3 and I still cant get to sokolov on the virtuous mission without getting spotted

Virtual mission?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

no they will not posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2 has one of the great openings in video game history. The atmosphere, the scale of snake's jump, the codec portraits actually being in full 3D instead of being 2D sprites. And people are still finding new secrets in this classic opening, even now! Next time you start a new game, try this: after the cutscene ends, move the left analog stick. This will make snake walk around, allowing you to explore more of the ship.

Kojima is the smartest man alive.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beat Olga. The FAQ I was reading had lovely advice, but I realized I could sneak to shoot her in first-person while she was unaware.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Beat Olga. The FAQ I was reading had lovely advice, but I realized I could sneak to shoot her in first-person while she was unaware.
Congrats OP.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Please don't read a FAQ if you can, there's so many options to play the game that it's more fun to try on your own.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Please don't read a FAQ if you can, there's so many options to play the game that it's more fun to try on your own.
Yeah, I'm going to so that. Bosses in MGS1 needed one, but this seems more flexible.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, I'm going to so that. Bosses in MGS1 needed one, but this seems more flexible.

did you beat MGS1

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Baby Goku posted:

did you beat MGS1
Please answer the question, FAU.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

did you beat MGS1
I beat the first half of the Rex fight and then got bored. It requires you to play too perfectly against annoying controls.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you're ever stuck, you can use the codec and your contact will simply tell you how to beat the boss.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I beat the first half of the Rex fight and then got bored. It requires you to play too perfectly against annoying controls.

RIP

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FactsAreUseless posted:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FactsAreUseless posted:

... this is unacceptable. you need to beat rex and see the epic conclusion to the game

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
it also doesn't require perfection at all... first of all use the stinger to beat the dish, then use chaff grenades to stop the missles, stay under his feat, ect. Please finish the fight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUsless: [gripping his PSX controller tightly in his hands while tears stream down his face at the MGS1 title screen] No! I can't do it!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FAU's dad: You mind telling me what you're doing in there?
FAU: Sir, not finishing this fight.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

FactsAreUsless: [gripping his PSX controller tightly in his hands while tears stream down his face at the MGS1 title screen] No! I can't do it!

Pablo Gigante posted:

FAU's dad: You mind telling me what you're doing in there?
FAU: Sir, not finishing this fight.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hurt Me More Snake!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Ive never been this disappointed before, fau

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Psycho Mantis, reading FAU's memory card: You like giving up, don't you?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

In Training posted:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Psycho Mantis, reading FAU's memory card: You like giving up, don't you?
This is accurate.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Fau entering his mr hyde persona: WHAT THE gently caress i was pressing buttons! Wooooow... really good game programming kojima [a seal can be heard clapping and laughing, signifying the arrival of fertile females]

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Fau entering his mr hyde persona: WHAT THE gently caress i was pressing buttons! Wooooow... really good game programming kojima [a seal can be heard clapping and laughing, signifying the arrival of fertile females]
This is also accurate. I spend a lot of time saying "what" and "gently caress you game."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I am extremely DSP when I play things, which is why I do not stream games.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
beat the loving game, you rear end in a top hat

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

beat the loving game, you rear end in a top hat

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I am extremely DSP when I play things, which is why I do not stream games.

i cant respect that. man up, n00b.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I.N.R.I posted:

i cant respect that. man up, n00b.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
How do you expect me, a regular man, to destroy the bipedal walking nuclear weapon Metal Gear REX!?

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Remember how you kill Sniper Wolf by hiding behind a rock and firing missiles at her, or laying a ton of Claymores down and just letting Vulcan Raven walk into all of them? MGS1 and MGS2 boss fights are almost all cheesable with this kind of poo poo.

E: oh except for the metal gear fights near the end of both games, those are p.hard but fair.

-=CHAFF GRENADES=-

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Hanging off the rail for the vamp fight and kicking him in the face when he comes over was sick after dying like 5 times trying to do it normally

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Oh Long Johnson posted:

Hanging off the rail for the vamp fight and kicking him in the face when he comes over was sick after dying like 5 times trying to do it normally

apparently you have to let go of autoaim in FPV to hit him or else he psychomantises his way out of your laser

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im not sure i ever noticed that, or if i even did that

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Facts I will impart unto you the fool proof strategy for defeating MG Rex. Please pay attention.

1st phase. Drop a chaff grenade and get somewhat far away from him so he cant laser you. Keep moving slightly and he will be unable to hit you with missiles as long as the chaff effect is up. If you keep chaining chaff you will destroy this form before you run out of grenades most likely.

2nd phase. Use stun grenades to break line of sight. When you drop one, you'll be able to circle around to his blind spots much more easily. Hes dumb as hell if he cant see you so you can take this opportunity to get the pickups in the room. Once you line up a clean shot from the side of Rex you can fire and then drop another stun to hide from him again. Again you should probably have enough stun Gs for this.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
MGS2 Euro Extreme is like-- every scenario, even phases of boss fights, has been choreographed, and although they don't tell you what the choreography is, you'll know if you're not performing it right because an alarm will sound and you will receive a game over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's a lie!!

• Locked thread