Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

Case 3, Clue 2

13 SW (Scotland Yard)

"I'm convinced it was an inside job," says Gregson when we ask him about the National Gallery investigation. "All the evidence indicates the thief had a key. He appears to have exited through an open window in one of the offices. We're checking out all the guards and the Gallery's staff, and we'll find our man, I have no doubt. But I'm not prepared to name any suspects at this time."

So, Tobias, how about those guard... statements? No? Okay, then.

CPs visited: 24 WC, 13 SW

I won't be available for look-ups until tomorrow, but we have a few names already. Next clue will be posted Tuesday, about 48 hours from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kangra posted:

Raaaaaage.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Well, if Gregson's convinced it's an inside job, then at least we know it almost certainly isn't, right? :v:

Nothing real to go on here. The window may or may not end up being relevant. For now I think we should visit Mr. Pickens and see if we can get his testimony that way.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!

Kangra posted:

Bad form, game. You strongly imply "Go here to get all the statements you need from the guards", then you don't have it there.

I request that this visit not be counted against us in scoring, as I feel that the game lied to us. We wanted the guards' statements, and the game implied that this was where we'd find them. Since it wasn't, let's go visit Charlie Pickens (23 SE) to get the clue that we were trying to get by coming here.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Case 3, Clue 3

23 SE (Charlie Pickens Gordon Dickey)

"At the time the alarum sounded, I was on patrol outside the Gallery. At the moment, I was talking to Constable Parks at the northeast corner of the Gallery. At the sound of the alarum I went immediately to the east door to stand guard. Constable Parks ran behind the Gallery toward Whitcomb-street blowing his whistle to summon aid."

CPs visited: 24 WC, 13 SW, 23 SE

(This is a misplaced clue that I didn't notice; Gordon Dickey's statement appears to be under Charlie Pickens's address. Pickens will be added as a clue point for free.)

Tax Refund posted:

Bad form, game. You strongly imply "Go here to get all the statements you need from the guards", then you don't have it there.

I request that this visit not be counted against us in scoring, as I feel that the game lied to us. We wanted the guards' statements, and the game implied that this was where we'd find them. Since it wasn't, let's go visit Charlie Pickens (23 SE) to get the clue that we were trying to get by coming here.

I will take this into consideration, although in truth the final score is somewhat dependent all the clues, and especially how those that we end up visiting balance with those that aren't seen. The final score isn't terrifically important either way, and the game is often confusing by design (partially deliberately false leads, partially a result of having static clues that are visited in no strict order. Though in this case I really don't think Balfe's assertion was intended to be misinformation).

I think the next clue will be decided on Thursday (the 24th), then there may be a bit longer break for the holiday(s).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 22, 2015

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Wait, what?

Pickens's testimony directly contradicts Balfe's! We now have two completely conflicting stories of what happened:

According to Balfe, the alarm was raised by Pickens, who was in Gallery XII. Balfe joined Pickens, then sent him to the loading dock.

According to Pickens, the alarm was raised by an unknown person while Pickens was outside the building entirely, upon which he went immediately to the east door and never talked to Balfe at all.

e: Lookup on Parks, please. The constable, not the arrangement of decorative vegetation.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 22, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Wait, what?

Pickens's testimony directly contradicts Balfe's! We now have two completely conflicting stories of what happened:

According to Balfe, the alarm was raised by Pickens, who was in Gallery XII. Balfe joined Pickens, then sent him to the loading dock.

According to Pickens, the alarm was raised by an unknown person while Pickens was outside the building entirely, upon which he went immediately to the east door and never talked to Balfe at all.

e: Lookup on Parks, please. The constable, not the arrangement of decorative vegetation.

Notably, Pickens said he was outside talking to another guard when only one guard patrols outside at a time. Even were Balfe the one lying, that patrol requirement seems an odd detail to make up.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Notably, Pickens said he was outside talking to another guard when only one guard patrols outside at a time. Even were Balfe the one lying, that patrol requirement seems an odd detail to make up.

Constable Parks is not a guard. The guards are Balfe, Dickey, Early and Pickens. Presumably Parks is a policeman who happened to be in the area.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

You know what, I didn't notice this before, but everything suggests that the clue point for Pickens is swapped with that of Dickey. I don't have time to post it now, but assume that what was just posted was from Dickey, and I'll put up Pickens' statement without charging the clue point.

And the look-up for Parks, following the subject heading:

Parks, Charles .................. 31 EC
Parliament, Houses of ..... 16 SW

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
I'd like to investigate Jardine's - any late delivery the evening of the robbery bears looking into.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Kangra posted:

You know what, I didn't notice this before, but everything suggests that the clue point for Pickens is swapped with that of Dickey. I don't have time to post it now, but assume that what was just posted was from Dickey, and I'll put up Pickens' statement without charging the clue point.

And the look-up for Parks, following the subject heading:

Parks, Charles .................. 31 EC
Parliament, Houses of ..... 16 SW

An innocent man nearly convicted due to a filing error. This game goes pretty dark.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Case 3, Clue 3

41 NW (Gordon Dickey Charlie Pickens)

"I started my rounds at approximately 11:25. I reached Gallery XII at approximately 11:35 and noted the empty frames where the de Kuyper paintings should have been and sounded the alarum. When Mike arrived he sent me to check the loading entry. I unlocked the office wing door and ran to the loading dock door. It was still locked and barred from the inside. I unlocked the storeroom door and found the art objects there undisturbed. I then checked each of the offices. In Mr. Norris' office I noticed the window unlatched, but everything else in the office seemed to be in order. A check of Sir Simpson's office, the secretarial office and the library showed everything to be in order. I then stood guard in the office wing until the arrival of the police."

And may as well throw in Warren Early to make up for the error:

4 EC (Warren Early)

"When the alarum sounded, I went immediately to the main door and stood guard until Scotland Yard arrived."

alarum. Just wanted to type it once more.

CPs visited: 24 WC, 13 SW, 23 SE, (41 NW, 4 EC)

These two clue points are not counted against the total.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

So the idea that the paintings are still in the gallery is still looking good... I'm not sure I buy that the culprit managed to lug two paintings through a window in that time without making a lot of noise or being spotted by Dickey. It would be difficult or impossible for the culprit to do so at any rate before 11:35, since Dickey was standing around right outside the office window at the time, talking to Constable Parks. The only time anyone could've snuck out there was after the alarum was sounded, but before Pickens checked on the office area. That can't be more than a few minutes at most.

I'm not entirely sure where the "east door" is located exactly; does he mean the loading dock door?

More likely than anything else, the thief spent 25 minutes from 11:10 to 11:35 cutting the paintings out of their frames and hiding them somewhere, possibly in one of those crates, and then taking off alone once Dickey left his spot outside the window.

Therefore, I concur that Jardine's would be interesting to visit next, or as a second option, Cummins and Goins.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I agree we want to check Jardine's. Mr. Norris forges the paintings and fakes an auction in order to get money for some debt or another, but if all the paintings are on display together than flaws in style will be noticed. So he brings in the boxes, one with an accomplice the other two either empty or with whatever he ordered from Jardine's as cover. The accomplice waits for a guard to make his rounds (Balfe says he just checked whether the door was locked so Accomplice X could easily have been listening on the other side), slips in, cuts out the paintings, and then either puts them in the other two crates or passes them out to another accomplice (Dickey?) remembering to lock the office door but forgetting the window. By the time the alarum is raised he's safely back in his own crate, to be removed by Norris later.

A consultation at Jardine's should reveal if the paintings are in the crate or went out the window, as well as what happened to the accomplice.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Case 3, Clue 4

15 EC (Jardine, Matheson & Co.)

Jardine's informs us that the shipment of Nubian art consigned to the National Gallery was delivered to a warehouse at 38 Blackfriar's Bridge-road on the instructions of Mr. Brady Norris five days ago.

CPs visited: 24 WC, 13 SW, 23 SE, (41 NW, 4 EC), 15 EC

Next clue won't be posted until late Sunday or early Monday, about three days from now.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Well, we already knew Mr. Norris was involved in the shipping of those items. I think we probably should check out where that stuff came from, so let's visit SE 38 (the warehouse on Blackfriars Bridge Road).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Case 3, Clue 5

38 SE (Warehouse)

We find the owner of the warehouse, Jim Hodges, who tells us, "The warehouse was rented until yesterday by a Mr. Matthew Cole, who had rented it for the week previous. It doesn't look like he did much work in here — it looks like it did before I gave it to him."

Lots of short clues this time around.

CPs visited: 24 WC, 13 SW, 23 SE, (41 NW, 4 EC), 15 EC, 38 SE.

Next clue in ~48 hours.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Hrmh. I guess we could keep following the trail. I don't have a lot of better ideas. Lookup on Cole, please, and assuming he exists, visit him. If that trail runs cold, Mr. Norris.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Thought that sounded familiar; no need to look up Cole:

(first column)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Well that's certainly very convenient, isn't it? So what do we think, was he an accomplice who had to be gotten out of the way? I suspect Moriarty is involved, so maybe we should go have a chat with (well, look for notes from) Porlock instead?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Could be. I wonder if the scene of the fire itself might offer anything. Failing that, who in the police might show us his effects? The M.E.?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Missed my own deadline after getting sick and off schedule.

We don't seem to have a clear choice of where to go. Bold your choices (and rank, if necessary) and we'll get to the next case some time next year (for me; some of you may already be there). It'll probably be another two days given all the festivities going on.

Lookup on Cole's address as well:

Coker, Harney ............ 19 S
Cole, Sir Henry ........... 77 EC
Cole, Matthew ............ 11 SE
Colombo, Philip ......... 26 E

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

11 SE to investigate the scene of the fire/Cole's residence.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

That's still my vote.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I think we're on the wrong lead now, given Holmes's methods of deduction: find a theory that fits the evidence, and pursue the theory until something falls apart. It's clear that Cole or an accomplice infiltrated the museum via the crate, stole the paintings, and left through the window (he could not have hid in the crate to be smuggled back out later because he was dead by 2AM). Whether Norris killed him or an agent of Moriarty did, Norris is clearly involved and the primary thief.

Given the lack of things we've found that could be bonus questions, I propose we Solve the mystery.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Case 3, Clue 6

11 SE (Matthew Cole's residence)

Constable Lane is standing outside the blackened door to Matthew Cole's room at the Dover Rooms and informs us that the Yard suspects foul play. "At about 2 o'clock this morning a fire started in Mr. Cole's room. Fortunately, it was put out before it spread to any other part of the building. Mr. Cole's body has been sent to St. Bartholomew's Hospital; some of the charred debris from the room was sent to Murray at the Criminology Laboratory for examination."

The doorman informs us, "Mr. Cole has lived here for the past two months. He kept pretty much to himself, and he did not seem to be employed, for a spent a great deal of time in the pubs in the area. I have seen him myself at the Red Boar Inn."

CPs visited: 24 WC, 13 SW, 23 SE, (41 NW, 4 EC), 15 EC, 38 SE, 11 SE.

Where next? (You can always try the Dennis Farrell strategy but it would take a bit longer in this version.*)

*The FMV game only had directory listings for the actual people who appeared in the cases, so the directory was a lot shorter. In truth you would get to the same clue points eventually, but your score would likely go negative before you solved the case.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

Could we get a lookup on the Red Boar Inn, and then go there? I feel like solving Cole's murder is going to be an important part of the solution, so I don't think we're done yet.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't recall if I posted all the inns in an earlier case, but either way the Red Boar Inn is at 34 SE, and will be the next clue point (in a bit less than 24 hours) barring other votes.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

So, I agree that our best operating theory right now is that Mr. Norris hired Mr. Cole, smuggled him into the museum, and had him stash the paintings somewhere. However, I don't think we can close the case yet. There are too many potential questions we don't have good answers to, just conjectures. We could follow the Red Boar thread, but I'm also very interested in what the Crime Lab has to say about the debris recovered from the scene. Could it be that the paintings burned up along with Cole's apartment?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Case 3, Clue 7

34 SE (Red Boar Inn)

The bartender says that the last time he saw Matthew Cole was two days ago. "Matt has become one of our regular customers over the last few months. Why, just the other day he was here with a heavy-set gentleman who walked with a limp and carried a cane. They spent over an hour here in deep conversation. I didn't recognize the gent, but since he was buying all the drinks, Matt consumed more than was his wont."

A surprise visit from my cousin followed by a delayed airport pick-up of a friend led to missing the time I'd intended to post, but here is the clue. Where should we go (if anywhere) next?

CPs visited: 24 WC, 13 SW, 23 SE, (41 NW, 4 EC), 15 EC, 38 SE, 11 SE, 34 SE.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I'm not sure I follow how/why the paintings would have gotten to Cole's apartment; that seems like a fairly inept heist. But Crime Lab sounds good, perhaps we can find a smoldering gun, so to speak.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Have we ever met Mr. Norris? Is he a "heavy-set man who walks with a cane"?

If Matthew Cole was the man who stole the paintings, it's not unthinkable that he would bring them back to his apartment. Remember, they were cut out of their frames... he wouldn't have any trouble carrying them rolled up under his arm. It seems worth pursuing, since it's likely "What happened to the paintings?" is going to be a question on the quiz and I'd hate to leave a possible answer overlooked.

My votes are Crime Lab, with Mr. Norris as a fallback.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Case 3, Clue 8

22 SW (Criminology Laboratory)

Murray is at work at one of the tables littered with chemical paraphernalia. He is in the process of pouring a light brown liquid from a flask into a beaker. He looks at it for a moment and then reaches for another beaker containing a white liquid which he pours into the first beaker. With a glass rod he stirs the mixture into a light tan liquid.

"Mr. Murray, can we talk to you for a moment?"

Murray looks up, lifting his head so that he can see through the glasses that rest precariously on the end of his nose.

"Ah, Waggins, how are you?"

"It's Wiggins, sir. Do you have time to give us some information?"

"Yes, it's tea time. Would you care for some?" He reaches for the beaker on the table in front of him and takes a sip.

"No, thank you."

"Suit yourself. Let's see, I bet I know what Holmes would be interested in — 914, the debris from the fire at Matthew Cole's room. The debris consisted of wood, probably the broken remains of a chair, and a piece of a canvas oil painting. They were saturated with kerosene, so I think there is little doubt that this fire was arson. Some of the wood has smears of Prussian blue paint and there was a segment of canvas about 30x50 cm. which I sent over to my brother Mortimer to examine. He's an expert on paint pigment and teaches chemistry at London University.

"Now that I look at it, that's the only case I have received today. If you are looking for anything else, I can't help you."

"Thank you, sir. Enjoy your tea."

I do like that the timing of the clues sometimes works out to make sense for how long we've been working. Though I wouldn't put it past Murray to take his tea at odd hours.

CPs visited: 24 WC, 13 SW, 23 SE, (41 NW, 4 EC), 15 EC, 38 SE, 11 SE, 34 SE, 22 SW.

Which trail to follow next?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Hey, I'm really sorry for letting this lapse for two weeks, especially so close to ending the case. I wasn't even as busy as I thought I would be.

At this point I'd recommend reading through this case to see where things stand (and don't forget that the newspapers are in the post prior to the case introduction), and whether we want to look up another clue or close it out.

I already wrote up the quiz & conclusion before even starting this one (that tends to take the most time for me), and since the clue points are short, I don't think there will be a problem keeping it on track. Then I'll maybe take a break before continuing with the second set of cases.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

No sweat, it's just how LP works. I for one am glad the thread is back, though!

So... paint on the furniture, you say, and some canvas? If there was paint on the furniture, that sounds like someone had been painting in that room. This seems to imply Matthew Cole is the person who forged the "discovered" de Kuyper paintings. If that's the case, he was presumably killed (and his apartment destroyed) to destroy the evidence of that fact. My initial instinct is to suggest that Norris and Cole were conspiring to defraud the gallery by presenting forged paintings as genuine masterpieces and pocketing the £125,000 for themselves. Done and closed and over with - until Sir Witcomb, the gallery director, arranges for the other, authentic de Kuypers from across Europe to be hung alongside the (unbeknownst to him) forgeries. This becomes a problem for Norris, since it will become instantly clear that the paintings he bought are forgeries, so he arranges to have the paintings stolen and Cole murdered to avoid the truth coming to light.

There are a few issues with this theory, though. Mr. Cole has only been living in his London apartment for the past two months, and the de Kuypers were acquired six months ago. What's more, they were sold at auction, at which others were present (although Sir Witcomb testifies that many prospective buyers were unable to attend since the auction was put up on short notice). This seems like an awfully flimsy way to set up the purchase, unless the entire auction was a sham arranged by Norris in the first place. Armitage's Gallery is in London, so maybe we should visit it and hear more about that auction?

There's also the question of why Cole was shipping crates to the gallery on the night of the theft. The immediate suggestion is that he's the one who stole the paintings for Norris. If this is the case, then Norris could've been waiting in Cole's apartment - dousing it in kerosene - then knocked Cole over the head when he came in at some point between midnight and 2 a.m., then set fire to the place.

I don't know, something about this timeline doesn't seem to fit, though, but I can't put my finger on it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Case 3, Clue 9

21 NW (Armitage's Gallery)

We are shown into the well-appointed office of Joseph Armitage. He greets us from behind the desk and motions us to take the empty chairs arranged before him. He is a small man and his slight frame is almost lost in his large leather chair. His thinning hair and pale delicate features make him appear as fragile as the porcelain that decorates his office. "I understand you are here in conjunction with the de Kuyper theft. How may I help you?" asks Armitage.

"Could you give us details leading up to and including the sale of the de Kuyper paintings?"

"I suppose so. For the most part it is public knowledge. It was early June, let me see if I can find the exact date." Armitage opens a leather book that is lying on the desk. Yes, here it is, June 10. On that date I received a visit from Hiram Davenport, a solicitor here in London, who informed me that his client had two paintings by de Kuyper that he wished to auction. This, of course, sparked my interest. It is not every day that such extraordinary paintings are offered for sale. I told him that it would be an honour to handle the sale. My euphoria abated as I learned of the conditions of the sale."

"And what were those conditions?"

"That the auction had to be held on July 1st and that a public announcement was not to be made until June 23rd! Only one week advance notice! I was flabbergasted. The auction of two de Kuypers would be the art event of the year and two months' notice would not be unreasonable. Unreasonable? It was the only reasonable thing to do. And, as if that were not enough, Mr. Davenport informed me that they had to be sold as a pair. A pair! Well, I informed Mr. Davenport that his client would stand to lose a great deal of potential profit through these restrictions. Davenport said his instructions were clear and immutable. If I could not meet the conditions, then he would have to find an auction house that could. Of course, I accepted."

"Weren't you suspicious? It seems that those are very unusual conditions, or am I wrong?"

Armitrage rises from his chair and walks over to the ornate sideboard decorating the left wall of his office. He pauses, his eyes transfixed by the delicate porcelain displayed there. After a moment he turns to us and says, "You must understand, Armitage's is not your local shoe emporium. For three generations we have been the most prestigious auction gallery in London, no, in the world. You get that reputation by putting before the public the best and rarest of objects, not by turning them away. What could be rarer than paintings by de Kuyper? The papers were in order. A Certificate of Authenticity signed by Pierre Donet, the well-known de Kuyper expert. Export papers approved by the Belgian government. Everything was in order. I have been head of Armitage's for twenty years and have dealt with some very eccentric clients. It is our duty to serve the client, to advise him on how he can get the best return on his sale, but in the end it is his decision on how the sale will be handled."

"So you do not know who the seller was?"

"No, I dealt only with Mr. Davenport. I am not sure that he was himself aware of the client's identity. This is not as unusual as it may seem. Many times a seller may wish to keep secret his sale. Most people sell when they are in need of money and for personal and business reasons don't want that fact made public."

"What can you tell us about the auction itself?"

"Not much more than what was in the papers at the time. Unfortunately, it went as I had expected. Due to the short public notice many of the big bidders did not show. Sir Simpson Whitcomb was the successful bidder, as you know. I must admit the paintings brought more than I had expected. I had told Mr. Davenport at the time that the bidding might be as low as 80,000 pounds, which is what I had expected. So, when the paintings went for 125,000 pounds, I was pleased."

"Why did they go for more than you had expected?"

"There was some very energetic bidding from Sir Herbert Cofman and Dame Agnes Smedley."

"What can you tell us about them?"

"Not much. Dame Agnes is a frequent participant at art auctions. She bids early but usually drops out once the bidding gets serious. She has gotten some bargains this way. But she is not what I would call a serious bidder. Sir Herbert Cofman comes from a well-known family. His father was a railway magnate and was serving in the Cabinet when he died. My dealings with Sir Herbert have been on the other end. I don't think it is any secret that he has been selling off his family heirlooms over the past year. I assume he was looking to pick up the de Kuypers cheap and resell them for a profit."

"And those were the only bidders?"

"Yes, for all practical purposes. Of course, there were other bids but nothing serious. Unfortunately, Angelo Hypsilanti arrived after the bidding had closed."

"The Greek shipping tycoon?"

"Oh, you haven't heard about this?" Armitage returns to his seat behind his desk. Placing his elbows upon the desk and bending his head in our direction, he continues, "Moments after I had closed the bidding Angelo Hypsilanti dashed into the hall. When I told him that he had missed the de Kuypers by minutes, he demanded that the bidding be reopened. I informed him, of course, that once the gavel had fallen the bidding is closed. He was furious. It seems that when he heard of the sale he had rushed here from Greece to participate."

"What can you tell us about him?"

"He is an enigma in the art world. A man of great wealth with a passion for art. You can find him at most art auctions. It is rumoured that his private collection is one of the best in the world. Last year he bought at auction Rubens' The Kings for 150,000 pounds. I don't know much more than that. That's all I can recall."

Most of the clue points are short. This one gives you a lot.

CPs visited: 24 WC, 13 SW, 23 SE, (41 NW, 4 EC), 15 EC, 38 SE, 11 SE, 34 SE, 22 SW, 21 NW.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Oof, that's a lot of information. Okay, so what I'm getting from this is that the auction was indeed suspicious as hell, although Armitage's may have been unwitting parties to this scam. Mr. Norris appears to be the only person who had any knowledge of the paintings or their sale prior to June 10 (Witcomb mentions Norris bringing them up after returning from Belgium in May), or June 23rd in the case of the public at large.

It all smells awfully like an auction carefully arranged so that there wouldn't be any serious competitors for the paintings other than the National Gallery. Norris probably felt that if the paintings were split up, or went somewhere else, that he couldn't keep their status as forgeries a secret. Someone, possibly Mr. Cole or Norris himself, must have faked those records of authenticity, though if things are as I suspect then the paintings never came from Belgium in the first place, but were produced by Cole. Still, that leaves open the question of where the hell Cole was at the time, if he was indeed involved. The sale took place more than six months ago.

Now, here's another detail: one of the competitors that did show up was Dame Agnes Smedley. Smedley? Lord Smedley owns one of the other, presumably genuine de Kuypers. Yet when we looked up the name earlier, the two live at separate addresses. I'm not so sure that's relevant to this case precisely, but it seemed an interesting detail.

So what about this Greek fellow, then? I wonder if the game is trying to set us up with a red herring. A hot-headed, mysterious man furious that he couldn't get his hands on the paintings he wanted? Enough to drive someone to theft, that is. But that's an awfully flimsy motive. I think Norris is still more likely.

I have no idea where to go. Come on, people, help us out here.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I still think we have enough info to Solve the Case.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

I don't know what to make of the info from the Gallery, and think following up the obvious hook with frère Mortimer (Murray?) at London University is the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

I'm tending to agree that we can solve the case now, but I'll hold off on voting for that to give others a chance to mention anything they're not clear on.

• Locked thread