Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's no camera access either so you can't import QRs that way, but I did see a PC app for converting them. The BASIC dialect in Petitcom Mk2 isn't totally compatible with this version's though, so you'd have to do a little work porting stuff if you want to run older programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Lunar Saviors, yeah, that one is kind of cool, if maybe a little boring.

Really you probably don't need a sequencer, writing MML directly is almost as easy. Check out Solid Gunner for what well-formatted MML can look like, and read the SmileBASIC MML reference. You can also bring it up by typing MML into the editor and then hitting the help button. e: Actually Solid Gunner's MML is a lot messier than I remember, I must have been thinking of something else.

I'm glad I didn't bother finishing the English patch for this I was working on. This is another one I didn't think was particularly fun either, but PetitCity 2 is looking incredibly cool

i did a little research and found a very conclusive tutorial for making MCK/MML music written by fairly notable chiptune artist Nullsleep. If anyone else is interested in possibly making tunes with smilebasic, it seems pretty useful and not too difficult to understand.

http://www.nullsleep.com/treasure/mck_guide/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Would anyone be interested in a super casual one week, I hesitate to call it game jam, but make some half assed spooky games before next Saturday, Halloween kind of thing?

Don't even know how many people actually have this thing, but I think running some events to keep people motivated/interested in SmileBASIC could be cool.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Yeah sure I'll make some spooky garbage

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I bought it but I'm still stumbling around with the basics. I want to get good with this thing though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

So I'm trying to display stuff on the bottom screen using XSCREEN 4 but whenever I try and test it out the keyboard still takes up the whole second screen. Is there any way around this? There must be, right?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

So I'm trying to display stuff on the bottom screen using XSCREEN 4 but whenever I try and test it out the keyboard still takes up the whole second screen. Is there any way around this? There must be, right?
Can you show what you're trying to do? Mode 4 isn't supposed to ever show the keyboard.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm just drawing boxes right now, but here's what my code looks like.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh, the program is finishing and it's exiting back out to direct mode, add a loop at the end like this to make it wait

code:

WHILE TRUE
 VSYNC
WEND

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yep, I thought about that just now. Thanks for the loop, it's a lot less messy than the one I just made.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Does anyone know how to get the touhou game to start? It's just sitting at a black and white screen with a message in Japanese. Any recommendations for more shooters that aren't in the OP would be good too

e: is it sad that I'm considering buying a circle pad pro just for strawberry storm? that's how starved for shooters the 3ds is

d0s fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 24, 2015

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

d0s posted:

e: is it sad that I'm considering buying a circle pad pro just for strawberry storm? that's how starved for shooters the 3ds is

You can actually play it with the touch screen, which isn't as good as a second stick yeah but it's a thing you can do.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

I bought it but I'm still stumbling around with the basics. I want to get good with this thing though.

This is me. The petit professor that was posted earlier is pretty good though.

Casaval
Aug 25, 2003

Newtype
I'm loving this program, and I can't wait for the Wii U version and keyboard support :)

I've been using another retro game dev IDE for a few months now to make simple games (pico-8) but this will be great for those long bus rides to and from work.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I moved on from boxes and now I've got a menu that I can move up and down on the bottom screen. I'm learning as I go so it took like 12 loops for a 4 option menu, but I'm sure I'll learn to simplify it later.

edit: I'm proud of this ugly, unfinished menu. can't wait to code all day on my day off tomorrow.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 25, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's another fun-looking game - "Shriken Runner", a 3D shooting gallery with stylus controls: https://twitter.com/bucchigiri/status/564415622080393217

VKANNP4X

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Please please PLEASE notify us when a European release date is announced. I just know I'd give up on it and completely miss it otherwise.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

New Puchicom? I really thought this was never coming out over here. The new features are all pretty rad, though having to pay to use the cloud to share programs is prettt lame.

I'm totally down for this spooky jam.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You don't have to pay to upload/download from the cloud, the "gold" subscription just increases your upload cap. The standard cap will be adequate for most people.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, I totally misunderstood. That's great.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, the free storage is 10 slots @ 4MB a slot iirc, which is plenty for most projects. GRP pages are a couple hundred KB at most, so you'd have to have a lot of graphics or PCM audio samples or something to hit that limit. Also the subscription is only a buck a month, 80 cents if you go for 6 months at a time, which is insanely reasonable I think.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, that's not bad at all. I just had a lovely kneejerk reaction in this day and age of microtransactions.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

It's not out in Europe yet but I thought I'd prepare by having a quick look through the instruction list. I remember seeing this quote, emphasis mine.

"gamasutra posted:

TK: Currently, we are developing a new Petitcom (SmileBASIC) for the 3DS. This software allows you to easily implement the stereoscopic camera, touch panel, and sensors with BASIC commands, making it possible to create 2D games in BASIC that are on the level of a Super Famicom or PlayStation game.

But looking through the instruction list I couldn't see anything camera related. Did I miss something or is it just not in there?
I was hoping to make a gameboy camera type game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo's touchy about letting developers mix camera functions with user-generated content, I believe.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's nothing in the reference document about accessing the camera, sorry.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo's touchy about letting developers mix camera functions with user-generated content, I believe.
RIP Swapnote.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Potsticker posted:

There's nothing in the reference document about accessing the camera, sorry.

Dang :(, thanks for the answer.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Do pointers exist in this version of basic?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Music Theory posted:

Do pointers exist in this version of basic?
No. Functions can have output parameters though so you can sort of emulate call by reference (as long as the thing you are trying to reference is not an array, which doesn't work as far as I can tell). There's also a facility that is something like function pointers.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Got spooky ghosts with rudimentary ai and chasing a player character. So far this seems much easier to program on the device than the last version.

homeless snail posted:

RIP Swapnote.

The day the 3DS died. :negative:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Having a couple issues capturing button presses cleanly.

Here's an approximation of the loop I'm working with:
code:

While 1
B=Button(0)
If B == 1 Then ...
Wait 1
Wend

Using Wait 1 instead of Vsync seems to work smoother, since Wait updates at the next screen update while Vsync waits for a whole loop of an update to pass, at least as far as I can tell from the documentation.

I was using Button(1), but somehow after i came back after futzing around with looking at old stuff I did in Petite Computer, it no longer reads the repeat inputs. I double checked the options menu to make sure nothing accidently got flipped there. It had a bit of trouble anyway always reading a secondary press if another button was being held down. Button(0) almost works, but it's even worse when trying to read multiple button presses. (for example trying to shoot a gun while moving around)

The only other thing I can think of to do at this point is to read the joystick instead for movement, but I feel like either I'm missing something(like reading an array--

Oops, nevermind I'm super dumb. I'm not accounting for when B has a value which is a combination of button presses. That's why the button values are the way they are instead of being sequential numbers.

As a real, but kind of related question: Is there really no switch statement? I can live without it, but it's a bit of a pain.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Looks like you can use
code:
B = BUTTON()
IF B AND #L THEN ...
In order to check a button without having to faff around with values that change when multiple buttons are pressed.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dang, that works perfectly now. Silky smooth all around. Thanks a bunch!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Potsticker posted:

As a real, but kind of related question: Is there really no switch statement? I can live without it, but it's a bit of a pain.
There's ON ... GOTO/GOSUB, but its a very clumsy piece of syntax so I personally avoid it usually.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Someone wrote a program that acts as a switch replacement. No idea how useful it is. It's on the U.S.wiki.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm still very new to this but I spent the last few days coding a bottom screen menu, check it out here.

QK4KV4JS

I definitely need to clean up my code (and actually learn how to utilize strings) if I want to actually use this for anything but I am definitely satisfied with my current progress. This tool is really fun to use.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here's something cool (that I stole from the GAF SmileBASIC thread), its a spooky Halloween maze game running on a basic raycasting engine. The engine is included as a library too and the API is pretty simple, so it might be something fun to mess around with. QK4N3PZF

(this also reminds me that I'm way behind schedule on my own halloween project oh no)

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 30, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hey, that looks really neat!

As for my own spookyjam game, it's coming along okay, but I didn't have any time to work on it today except for checking to see how precise checking background tiles was. (even if there's like an 8x16 block of transparent pixels, the entire 16x16 tile will return as existing)

Mostly all that's left is loading stages at this point as something that will take some significant time, and then it should just be all polishing graphics and refactoring all the clunky thrown together code.

Various questions I haven't looked into too hard yet:

Is there a way to shut off BGM if the user quits via select, start or the botton screen keyboard? Maybe some sort of label or function that's called as the program closes so you can clean up the screen and everything?

Can you change the Z value of background layers? I'd like to make the walls of the stage stick out past the player in 3D.

How do you take screenshots? Is there a way to just save them in the program itself, or even code in saving a dump of the screen?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Various questions I haven't looked into too hard yet:

Is there a way to shut off BGM if the user quits via select, start or the botton screen keyboard? Maybe some sort of label or function that's called as the program closes so you can clean up the screen and everything?

Can you change the Z value of background layers? I'd like to make the walls of the stage stick out past the player in 3D.

How do you take screenshots? Is there a way to just save them in the program itself, or even code in saving a dump of the screen?
You can't, if the user forcefully exits they need to be smart enough to BGMSTOP and ACLS themselves.

BG layers, you can set the Z coordinate with BGOFS.

Easiest way to take screenshots is to make a Miiverse post. You could conceivably blit the BG layers and sprites into GRP if you needed it in a usable format though, but there's no built in functionality to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, miiverse for screenshots. Totally forgot about that functionality. Thanks.

• Locked thread