Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

3DS/New 3DS NA: $10, Not America: Who Cares

BASIC programming thing on 3DS, sequel to Petit Computer, blah blah blah you know if you want this already. It has online sharing now so you don't have to scan a million QR codes to share programs, its more powerful due to being on 3DS (and supposedly 3x even more powerful on New 3DS), the API is improved, the editor is a little better, in my professional opinion It Is Good. Buy SmileBASIC, pretend like you're going to make stuff, post stuff itt, thanks for reading, here's a video of some stuff that won a contest earlier this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z68vwBvXbOg&t=42s

COOL STUFF: (sickest poo poo indicated with 💩)
💩73C4H39J - FM2K by yunomi, arcade style game about jumping on enemy's heads with perspective effect. Oogiri first prize winner.
 LACYV3JJ - Kusakari by kuni, 3D lawnmowing game. Oogiri president's prize winner.
 A3W4384E - PLANE2 by SatoshiMcCloud, Star Fox looking cave flyer game (NKA8QPR1 for wireframe version). Oogiri tech prize winner.
 YKAKXX3Y - Yuki no Reindeer by suu, cute winter themed running game with mode7-esque effect. Oogiri art prize winner.
💩EB2XEEKV - Strawberry Storm Striker by yunomi, dual joystick shooter with shades of Time Pilot + anime art
 XRV43KKE - Onkan Heaven by Gameth, musical pitch testing game, cute art
 EADXY3KJ - Puchi Touhou by ika, its Touhou
 V3NEW3A4 - Alpaca by Gameth, Alpaca
 VK4NED31 - Nekohime00 by Nekohime, compilation of a couple games, featuring remake of the best PTC game, Hi-Jump Johnny
💩S323D3 - Splashting by PetitPetit, Time Crisis/Gears of War cover shooter
💩4D2X3KQV - Dead Heat Racing by PetitPetit, top down drift racing game
 R33V8KV - The Drive by PetitPetit, its Outrun
💩N3A5E3L3 - Arcanum Stone by hiraiyukio, insanely well made fighting game
💩JD2EE2QV - Solid Gunner, shmup officially developed by Smileboom w/ graphics from 8bit Fanatics, the people behind 1001 Spikes
 4RK3J4B3 - Celeste by obono, platformer
 533YE3RJ - Jintrich by hiraiyukio, Splatoon-esque territory control game
 KK34XR3 - Red Glasses by yunomi, cool paint application
 R4DYQ3G4 - Safari Dash by nekohachi, retro arcade game kind of like City Connection I guess?
 4DEDXXZ3 - Maidfly by kiyo, its a shmup
 JE2EVEHE - Meteor Storm by otemoto stinger, its Asteroids
 QK3EREZD - INVADER GAME by nicotakuya. its Space Invaders
 XKA3XPDF - Death March by nekohachi, lightning rod simulation
 QK483EJF - Volleyball by rikisuke, volleyball
💩735YW3L4 - GIVERS P3D by bugtaro, 3D polygonal shooter

(help me find cool stuff)

PLACES TO FIND COOL STUFF
Japanese Spreadsheet
Japanese wiki
Japanese Miiverse
English Miiverse
Search google/youtube/twitter for "プチコン", "petitcom", or "sbkey"

STUFF FOR MAKING STUFF:
Instruction reference
Manual
Japanese Wiki
Weirdo English Wiki
Petit Modem - For transferring files
PetitEditor - Web based code editor

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Actually I have never heard of this before and am mildly intrigued, do you think you could put something in the OP that describes it? Thanks
Petit Computer is this, but on DSiWare.

e: Oh you meant SmileBASIC. Its just a BASIC programming environment that mildly mimics 80s microcomputers, such as the Commdore or MSX.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Kreayshawn game was NOT made in Smilebasic

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

With keyboard support!!

They also just announced the 4th oogiri, submission period starts today and ends January 3rd. The main theme is "Ninja", but this year they are also accepting entries in the "useful gadgets" category, and a free-for-all open division. The winners' programs will show up in an issue of Petitcom Magazine and receive royalties from that, and there are some consolation prizes too, I think they sent out stickers last year. More info: http://smilebasic.com/en/ogiri4/

Finally, if you tried to buy Petitcom Gold before and couldn't, its fixed now. e: Its $1/month, or $5 for 6 months, for 10x more upload slots and 5x bigger size limit per slot.

Pollyanna posted:

I might be kind of confused on where I save things like spritesheets, MML tracks, and libraries. Are these all defined as giant blocks of DATA in a single program? Or is there some sort of tool I should be using?
Its versatile, you can save them into files and then LOAD them either directly into GRP memory in the case of bitmaps, or into an array or string and then GLOAD/BGLOAD/BGMSET/WAVSET from that, or yeah you can use DATA statements if you want to embed everything into one file.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 17, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh I missed some other announcements from the fan meeting:

Solid Gunner, the headlining game of Petitcom Magazine vol 1 developed by Smileboom with graphics from the 1001 Spikes people is publicly available now: JD2EE2QV

In the upcoming 3.3 update they're going to start selling DLC modules, the first set includes an "IP Catalog Collaboration" with Namco-Bandai and is a collection of sprite sheets from old Namco arcade games for a buck or two a pop, and by the wording of the press release is specifically not coming overseas due to licensing issues? The other module is the "Advanced Sound Unit" and includes FFT, biquad filtering, and streaming audio support and is $5. You'll have to buy the modules to run programs that use them which kinda sucks IMO, but at least now you can turn your DS into a guitar pedal if you really want to.

The press release also has some more details on Petitcom BIG: its compatible with the 3DS version, but will also have additional Wii U-only functionality, such as a 800x480 display mode, 1024x1024 GRP pages, and wiimote/controller support, and its scheduled for spring of 2016 in Japan.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't get over how insane Arcanum Stone is for a Petitcom game, its at least as good as some doujin fighting games I've played on PC, some of the characters have some really interesting movesets. I was trying to find some other stuff that guy's done and ran into this, its a WIP of a weird top-down Splatoon kind of thing SKEX32HE
There's an updated version of AS in there too, not sure what's different other than text being moved to an external file.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i bought this basically exclusively for that arcanum lil sprite fighter, i dont think i will ever do any coding but i'm gonna check a lot of cool stuff out and maybe try to make music with it
It would be sick to have someone posting MML for people to steal for their projects. I was just trying to make some music for the thing I've been working on and I'm suddenly remembering I'm garbage at making music.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

gmq posted:

So, is there a way to write the files on a computer instead of using the 3DS touchscreen?
You can plug the 3DS into your computer's minijack and use Petitmodem to transfer files at a blistering 1200 baud.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lunar Saviors, yeah, that one is kind of cool, if maybe a little boring.

Really you probably don't need a sequencer, writing MML directly is almost as easy. Check out Solid Gunner for what well-formatted MML can look like, and read the SmileBASIC MML reference. You can also bring it up by typing MML into the editor and then hitting the help button. e: Actually Solid Gunner's MML is a lot messier than I remember, I must have been thinking of something else.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's an English key for Petitcity, a Sim City clone: (chrome won't let me c/p the JP wiki link so search "投稿プログラム: PetitCity ver1.0 都市開発ゲーム" for pics)

N37Q83KJ
I'm glad I didn't bother finishing the English patch for this I was working on. This is another one I didn't think was particularly fun either, but PetitCity 2 is looking incredibly cool

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 21, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's no camera access either so you can't import QRs that way, but I did see a PC app for converting them. The BASIC dialect in Petitcom Mk2 isn't totally compatible with this version's though, so you'd have to do a little work porting stuff if you want to run older programs.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Would anyone be interested in a super casual one week, I hesitate to call it game jam, but make some half assed spooky games before next Saturday, Halloween kind of thing?

Don't even know how many people actually have this thing, but I think running some events to keep people motivated/interested in SmileBASIC could be cool.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

So I'm trying to display stuff on the bottom screen using XSCREEN 4 but whenever I try and test it out the keyboard still takes up the whole second screen. Is there any way around this? There must be, right?
Can you show what you're trying to do? Mode 4 isn't supposed to ever show the keyboard.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh, the program is finishing and it's exiting back out to direct mode, add a loop at the end like this to make it wait

code:

WHILE TRUE
 VSYNC
WEND

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, the free storage is 10 slots @ 4MB a slot iirc, which is plenty for most projects. GRP pages are a couple hundred KB at most, so you'd have to have a lot of graphics or PCM audio samples or something to hit that limit. Also the subscription is only a buck a month, 80 cents if you go for 6 months at a time, which is insanely reasonable I think.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nintendo's touchy about letting developers mix camera functions with user-generated content, I believe.
RIP Swapnote.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Music Theory posted:

Do pointers exist in this version of basic?
No. Functions can have output parameters though so you can sort of emulate call by reference (as long as the thing you are trying to reference is not an array, which doesn't work as far as I can tell). There's also a facility that is something like function pointers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Potsticker posted:

As a real, but kind of related question: Is there really no switch statement? I can live without it, but it's a bit of a pain.
There's ON ... GOTO/GOSUB, but its a very clumsy piece of syntax so I personally avoid it usually.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here's something cool (that I stole from the GAF SmileBASIC thread), its a spooky Halloween maze game running on a basic raycasting engine. The engine is included as a library too and the API is pretty simple, so it might be something fun to mess around with. QK4N3PZF

(this also reminds me that I'm way behind schedule on my own halloween project oh no)

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 30, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Various questions I haven't looked into too hard yet:

Is there a way to shut off BGM if the user quits via select, start or the botton screen keyboard? Maybe some sort of label or function that's called as the program closes so you can clean up the screen and everything?

Can you change the Z value of background layers? I'd like to make the walls of the stage stick out past the player in 3D.

How do you take screenshots? Is there a way to just save them in the program itself, or even code in saving a dump of the screen?
You can't, if the user forcefully exits they need to be smart enough to BGMSTOP and ACLS themselves.

BG layers, you can set the Z coordinate with BGOFS.

Easiest way to take screenshots is to make a Miiverse post. You could conceivably blit the BG layers and sprites into GRP if you needed it in a usable format though, but there's no built in functionality to do that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I ran into a frustrating change from PTC2 to 3 that's holding up my halloproject. In 2 BG layers would wrap around when you scrolled off the edge and I'm pretty sure it implicitly took BG coordinates as modulo to the size of the layer. In 3 you just scroll off into the void and if you want long scrolling you have to manage it yourself. So I have to refactor a bunch of code that I stupidly wrote expecting the old functionality. I guess Novembers can be spooky too.

Also I stumbled into a cool undocumented feature, when you assign an array to another array, it actually just makes another reference to the same data rather than doing a full copy. Seems like its reference counted too so it'll garbage collect an array once all references to it have been released.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hi hello (bump). Nothing really exciting going on right now. If anyone is working on a submission for the Oogiri remember you have about a month left, so get cracking. Here's some of the latest stuff I found

KK34XR3 - Red Glasses by yunomi, cool paint application
R4DYQ3G4 - Safari Dash by nekohachi, retro arcade game kind of like City Connection I guess?
4DEDXXZ3 - Maidfly by kiyo, its a shmup
JE2EVEHE - Meteor Storm by otemoto stinger, its Asteroids
QK3EREZD - INVADER GAME by nicotakuya. its Space Invaders
XKA3XPDF - Death March by nekohachi, lightning rod simulation

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

Has there been any news on a European version?
No, but I'm guessing they are going to wait until they finish 3.3 before they move to the Euro release. The Wii U version will be coming out soon after 3.3, also, who knows if that will be a distraction too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Man I should have already posted my 3D stuff cause it kind of sucks in comparison to his.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Type NEW to clear out the program slots, it doesn't clear them automatically so as to make it easier to read the source for whatever you ran last. You have to use LOAD and SAVE from the command line to manage files inside the project.

Graphics are the same way, running the Smile Tool doesn't disturb the graphics pages that are currently in memory, so you can inspect/edit graphics for the program that you've run last. If you want a totally blank sprite sheet you'll just have to paint over the default and save it. The keyboard on the Smile Tool might not have a colon, but you don't need it. I'm guessing you saw something like LOAD "GRP0:SPRITES" in the sample programs, but the GRP0: isn't part of the filename, that is the region of memory that you're telling the LOAD/SAVE functions to read/write to. Smile Tool already knows that you're dealing with whatever GRP page you happen to have selected in the tool, so you just need to type the filename after the colon.

The best total beginner's guide is the electronic manual that you get to from the 3DS home screen, it covers just about everything on the architecture of the system including how files and projects work. Also the help button is context sensitive so if you type a command and hit help it will pop up some documentation for it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It isn't possible with mode 4, because as you say the top screen is brought down to the same width as the bottom. You'll have to use modes 2/3 and manually implement whatever spanning you want to do rather than have one big framebuffer.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This game is dope, aircraft carrier landing simulator

CACQ33L4

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, they've made some PC game tools here and there, I just don't know if anyone actually uses them or not, but I guess they must sell if they keep making them. Their last one actually looked like a fairly cool IDE if you wanted to make HTML5 or mobile games. Also back in the XNA days they had a tool for making Xbox Indie games that was published by Enterbrain in their tsukuru line alongside RPG Maker/etc.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/smilebasic_com/status/714631865697574915

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

3.3.0 is out, here's the patchnotes: http://smilebasic.com/en/knownissues/

Handful of new instructions and cool new overloads for existing ones that seem pretty useful (MILLISEC!!), but this is mostly about the Sound Processing Unit DLC which is $5.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RIP SmileBASIC
https://twitter.com/smilebasic_com/status/752650706532782080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hi its time for your quarterly SmileBASIC thread bump okay here it is (thanks2PSN), Petitcom BIG (The Wii U version!!) is coming out in Japan next week:
https://twitter.com/notohoho/status/806318407536689152
The Japanese website also updated just now here are the differences (there aren't many):
  • The WiiU version operates in compatibility mode until you explicitly go into BIG mode with XON WIIU.
  • XSCREEN modes 5 and 6 are added (single screen and TV/gamepad respectively), 7 resolution options for both screens from 256x192 to 854x480 for some reason, supports up to 4096 sprites.
  • As expected, no networking support. But BUTTON() now accepts controller IDs instead of terminal IDs, so if that's how you wrote your network code I think it should be fairly trivial to port multiplayer games.
  • 16x16 fonts
  • Supports USB microphones?? I don't know if the ASU is included or not but PCMSTREAM can simultaneously output to the TV, gamepad, and 4 wiimotes
GRP pages should also be 1024x1024 in BIG mode but that isn't confirmed by the specs.

• Locked thread