Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay, I just bought this, and while the projects I've seen are all manners of impressive, the UI and project management are horribly opaque to me. I've read through the documentation and the section on managing projects was of very little help. I watched that one guy's tutorials on Youtube and even his "for beginners" videos are just programming basics; he seems to assume you've already figured out the UI.

1. So let me get this straight, I'm assuming "Add Folder" is what I want to do every time I want to create a new project, correct? And presumably, setting that new folder as the active folder is how to tell it I want to start fresh. Why then is it that the edit slot 0 keeps getting set to whatever program I last ran? How do I start fresh from a blank program, and how do I prevent that from getting overwritten if I run some other project?

2. How on earth do I create graphics? When I go to the paint app via the smile tool, it loads all these default sprites. How do I make a clean spritesheet, and how do I save this spritesheet to the new project? For that matter, how do I even load other sheets, such as those from other games, into the paint tool? I looked through the source of some of the other projects and they load a number of different things at runtime, but if I try loading those resources from the paint tool, I can't, because there's no colon on the keyboard! What am I not understanding about how this works?

Okay, that's all I can think of for now; I'm hoping that info is enough to get me started doing something here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Thanks, that helps quite a lot!

homeless snail posted:

The best total beginner's guide is the electronic manual that you get to from the 3DS home screen, it covers just about everything on the architecture of the system including how files and projects work. Also the help button is context sensitive so if you type a command and hit help it will pop up some documentation for it.

I didn't realize this; I'll check it out--I've only been reading the SmileBASIC official website; I assumed the home menu manual was just a reproduction.

• Locked thread