Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

New Puchicom? I really thought this was never coming out over here. The new features are all pretty rad, though having to pay to use the cloud to share programs is prettt lame.

I'm totally down for this spooky jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, I totally misunderstood. That's great.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, that's not bad at all. I just had a lovely kneejerk reaction in this day and age of microtransactions.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's nothing in the reference document about accessing the camera, sorry.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Got spooky ghosts with rudimentary ai and chasing a player character. So far this seems much easier to program on the device than the last version.

homeless snail posted:

RIP Swapnote.

The day the 3DS died. :negative:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Having a couple issues capturing button presses cleanly.

Here's an approximation of the loop I'm working with:
code:

While 1
B=Button(0)
If B == 1 Then ...
Wait 1
Wend

Using Wait 1 instead of Vsync seems to work smoother, since Wait updates at the next screen update while Vsync waits for a whole loop of an update to pass, at least as far as I can tell from the documentation.

I was using Button(1), but somehow after i came back after futzing around with looking at old stuff I did in Petite Computer, it no longer reads the repeat inputs. I double checked the options menu to make sure nothing accidently got flipped there. It had a bit of trouble anyway always reading a secondary press if another button was being held down. Button(0) almost works, but it's even worse when trying to read multiple button presses. (for example trying to shoot a gun while moving around)

The only other thing I can think of to do at this point is to read the joystick instead for movement, but I feel like either I'm missing something(like reading an array--

Oops, nevermind I'm super dumb. I'm not accounting for when B has a value which is a combination of button presses. That's why the button values are the way they are instead of being sequential numbers.

As a real, but kind of related question: Is there really no switch statement? I can live without it, but it's a bit of a pain.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dang, that works perfectly now. Silky smooth all around. Thanks a bunch!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hey, that looks really neat!

As for my own spookyjam game, it's coming along okay, but I didn't have any time to work on it today except for checking to see how precise checking background tiles was. (even if there's like an 8x16 block of transparent pixels, the entire 16x16 tile will return as existing)

Mostly all that's left is loading stages at this point as something that will take some significant time, and then it should just be all polishing graphics and refactoring all the clunky thrown together code.

Various questions I haven't looked into too hard yet:

Is there a way to shut off BGM if the user quits via select, start or the botton screen keyboard? Maybe some sort of label or function that's called as the program closes so you can clean up the screen and everything?

Can you change the Z value of background layers? I'd like to make the walls of the stage stick out past the player in 3D.

How do you take screenshots? Is there a way to just save them in the program itself, or even code in saving a dump of the screen?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, miiverse for screenshots. Totally forgot about that functionality. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

How disappointing.

• Locked thread