Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Scudworth posted:

He answered that right on this very page already.

Do I look like the type of person to READ a thread?

Sheesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jiro Kage posted:

It's the only uniformed federal policing that doesn't have long rifles available because....TSA.

To be fair, the fact that they allow TSA to have anything at all more dangerous than a ball of yarn is a bit alarming.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jiro Kage posted:

VIPR team - visible intermodal prevention and response. It's not a rifle, its a team that air marshals can be part of.

I love how organisations such as this insist on 'cool'-sounding names for their teams.

They could be part of the 'Proactive Overt Tactical Intervention' team; oh no, someone spent an entire afternoon doodling in the back of his exercise book before he came up with 'VIPR' - probably with lots of drawings of tanks and rocket planes.

No doubt he was very disappointed that the uniform patch didn't feature a liger.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

I want to hit the guy that came up with PATRIOT act.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

MrYenko posted:

To be fair, the fact that they allow TSA to have anything at all more dangerous than a ball of yarn is a bit alarming.

The TSA was our administrative and funding controllers and parent agency, with DHS above that. Aside from that, the Air Marshals aren't really the TSA, and in fact, used to be part of ICE. It's still too much. I'd be surprised to find people having problems with FAMs like they do with the TSA members.

But hey man if you want to say we are part of the problem with the TSA, have at it. :confused:

quote:

I love how organisations such as this insist on 'cool'-sounding names for their teams.

They could be part of the 'Proactive Overt Tactical Intervention' team; oh no, someone spent an entire afternoon doodling in the back of his exercise book before he came up with 'VIPR' - probably with lots of drawings of tanks and rocket planes.

No doubt he was very disappointed that the uniform patch didn't feature a liger.

We didn't get patches =[
The name was pretty funny with local law enforcement too, we used to get a lot of "VIPR, hissssss" from them.

Jiro Kage fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 1, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Jiro Kage posted:

The TSA was our administrative and funding controllers and parent agency, with DHS above that. Aside from that, the Air Marshals aren't really the TSA, and in fact, used to be part of ICE. It's still too much. I'd be surprised to find people having problems with FAMs like they do with the TSA members.

But hey man if you want to say we are part of the problem with the TSA, have at it. :confused:
I think most people probably don't realize that FAM falls under the TSA umbrella, I didn't before this post. I'd always sort of assumed that they were Homeland Security or DOJ, it made sense to me logically and I had no idea till you mentioned it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Tendai posted:

I think most people probably don't realize that FAM falls under the TSA umbrella, I didn't before this post. I'd always sort of assumed that they were Homeland Security or DOJ, it made sense to me logically and I had no idea till you mentioned it.

When you think about it, the FAM are effective and competent.

This is directly against what the TSA stands for, so I bet the majority people had the same belief as you and I.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Tendai posted:

It's because they managed to maintain a sort of autonomy - such as the schooling, the mission, and the biggest one, the funding and budget. Unfortunately, all of those are now falling under the TSA, and once former TSA administrators start running the agency, it's destined for a downhill turn. Quite possibly the mission and requirements of the job alone will keep it from becoming another TSA mess, but I don't really know. It's already pretty bad at the top level.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Jiro Kage posted:

It has become a lot safer on the flying side. For all the badmouthing TSA that I do on the PASSENGER side (which does suck) the cargo and airport security side has gotten a lot better. In addition, rules and regulations in the cockpit are better without being too intrusive, I believe.

I talked to some cargo/airport security side, and it seems like those people have it together. It's just most people only interact with the airport screening side so when TSA is mentioned, everyone get's lumped into the shitshow...

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

spog posted:

When you think about it, the FAM are effective and competent.

This makes me wonder, what have FAMs done? I understand the deterrent factor, but have you got any stories about an agent having some sort of action on a flight?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

TCD posted:

I talked to some cargo/airport security side, and it seems like those people have it together. It's just most people only interact with the airport screening side so when TSA is mentioned, everyone get's lumped into the shitshow...

I work on the backside of an airport and I can confirm the TSA agents who work on that side are much more competent and give a lot more of a poo poo than the people who work the passenger screening areas. We have undercover TSA agents who try to sneak past our security measures on a regular basis and the company gets nailed with fines if any of them manage to get in.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

ColdPie posted:

This makes me wonder, what have FAMs done? I understand the deterrent factor, but have you got any stories about an agent having some sort of action on a flight?

Terrorism? No. There has been a FAM shooting though in Miami: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Rigoberto_Alpizar - He was completely nuts, and it is unfortunate he was shot. What isn't told in that article is how the wife later said that she thought they had acted appropriately. It also shows you how even people trained to shoot well can have their aim degrade under stress. The other thing they don't mention is that they shot through the backpack, which was what he claimed had the bomb. Oops.

There was this entertaining non-shooting international incident: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/21/us.brazil.air.marshals/ - I actually met the wife of one of these Air Marshals last year, and they had just had interpol warrants lifted off of them. Also, the Continental pilot actually delayed the aircraft leaving until he was sure the Air Marshals were onboard because he knew what was going on, something they were really grateful for. They didn't do anything wrong, and she fought them tooth and nail, literally, just because she couldn't get drinks on her own.

I've had a few coworkers make arrests for alcohol or domestic violence. The one time it could have been me making the arrest I didn't even know - a fight broke out in the back, and the flight attendants handled it and didn't feel the need to come get us. Fine by me.

On the VIPR side, we have been party to a ton of different arrests and takedowns. There are too many to even consider, but they are all classified as assisting officers to the local stakeholder.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sappo569 posted:

Do I look like the type of person to READ a thread?

Sheesh

It's ok, I didn't find it either.

e: Actually I did find it. Anyway, wouldn't rifles be considerably more dangerous from an over-penetration standpoint? I'm about to do a reread but I assume you'd be using frangible poo poo but even that could go wrong fast. I guess it's better than losing an entire planeload, absolutely tho

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 2, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
VIPR teams don't work in planes, though, they operate in and around airports, naval ports, train stations, etc.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Captain Bravo posted:

VIPR teams don't work in planes, though, they operate in and around airports, naval ports, train stations, etc.

So...no VIPRS on a Plane?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Did you ever encounter any snakes on a plane in your job?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jiro Kage posted:

As I said before, I consider the FAM service to be essentially the only part of the TSA that SHOULDN'T be immediately defunded and disbanded.

If all of TSA was trained, and operated at the level of competence and professionalism that I've experienced in my limited contact with FAMs, it'd be a different story, but the majority of your parent organization needs help with their Velcro shoes in the morning.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

MrYenko posted:

As I said before, I consider the FAM service to be essentially the only part of the TSA that SHOULDN'T be immediately defunded and disbanded.

If all of TSA was trained, and operated at the level of competence and professionalism that I've experienced in my limited contact with FAMs, it'd be a different story, but the majority of your parent organization needs help with their Velcro shoes in the morning.

If that was the case I probably wouldn't have left that job, even with the ridiculous hours and lack of sleep. Which, not so surprisingly, has hosed my sleep to the point I have trouble getting to sleep now even when I'm tired.

Yeah VIPR don't go on planes. I can't even imagine trying to conceal a rifle in regular clothes :D

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I feel you on the sleep thing. I used to work straight 12 hour night shifts, and now I work a rotating shift with days and nights.

I'm so screwy when it comes to sleep, it's not even funny.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Jiro Kage posted:

There was this entertaining non-shooting international incident: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/21/us.brazil.air.marshals/ - I actually met the wife of one of these Air Marshals last year, and they had just had interpol warrants lifted off of them. Also, the Continental pilot actually delayed the aircraft leaving until he was sure the Air Marshals were onboard because he knew what was going on, something they were really grateful for. They didn't do anything wrong, and she fought them tooth and nail, literally, just because she couldn't get drinks on her own.

I remembered reading this and thinking to myself "and that's the last time any FAM would forget to bring their tourist passport along with them to work..."

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

MrYenko posted:

I feel you on the sleep thing. I used to work straight 12 hour night shifts, and now I work a rotating shift with days and nights.

I feel for you all working those kind of hours. I worked swing shift for about a year and will not do it again. I had more physical and emotional problems during that time than I ever had before. Working set third shift wasn't near as bad though.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

MrYenko posted:

We had certain flight/mission portions that were 16 hours long. Tacking on travel and preparation, and we were easily moving for 20 hours straight.

quote:

I remembered reading this and thinking to myself "and that's the last time any FAM would forget to bring their tourist passport along with them to work..."

Oh hell yes. That cannot be ever be overstated.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Why did you go non-6(c)? It's pretty feasible to swap to another law enforcement agency. Though I guess four years in its not a huge investment.

I'm a FLEO and can carry on a flight if I want, but I haven't before. Mostly I hate commercial air travel and if I'm on an airliner I want alcohol in my hand. If I did decide to carry on a flight, what would make life easier for the FAM? Do you want me to deal with non-terroristic violations of law on a plane so you don't have to blow your cover over some minor rear end in a top hat? Do you guys actually like / trust a non-FAM armed on the plane, or is it a wildcard you'd rather not deal with?

Can confirm your fighting and firearms training is superb. We had a former FAM in our annual refresher this year and he was pretty legit. He also talked a lot of poo poo about working there, but said he made a lot of money.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Do you typically fly Couch or do you get to fly in First Class with the big, comfy seats at least every once in awhile? Is there a rough split between Couch and First Class? 10/90?

Are you typically in a aisle seat?

Are you guys just dressed like a normal casual vacation goer, suits, or business casual? I only ask because my wardrobe is almost entirely the civilian version of undercover, military/police clothes because they are extremely useful for my job, and I bet if someone got a good look at me they might think I could be a FAM.

Yes, I know you might not be able to talk about specifics, but if anyone flies even 1/20 as much as you did, then they will know how much Couch loving sucks.

Great thread BTW.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Do you typically fly Couch or do you get to fly in First Class with the big, comfy seats at least every once in awhile? Is there a rough split between Couch and First Class? 10/90?
This makes me wonder what the ratio of people being assholes on planes is like between first and coach, now that I think about it. On the one hand, coach has more people, but on the other hand, first class has free/reduced price alcohol which seems to be what makes most people act like fuckasses on airplanes (like the dude who leaped up and poo poo on the food cart some years back)

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Are you guys just dressed like a normal casual vacation goer, suits, or business casual? I only ask because my wardrobe is almost entirely the civilian version of undercover, military/police clothes because they are extremely useful for my job, and I bet if someone got a good look at me they might think I could be a FAM.

Apparently there was a dress code mandating suits at one point, but it was relaxed later.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tendai posted:

This makes me wonder what the ratio of people being assholes on planes is like between first and coach, now that I think about it. On the one hand, coach has more people, but on the other hand, first class has free/reduced price alcohol which seems to be what makes most people act like fuckasses on airplanes (like the dude who leaped up and poo poo on the food cart some years back)

That only applies on domestic flights. Overseas flights usually have free booze in economy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tendai posted:

... (like the dude who leaped up and poo poo on the food cart some years back)

I remember the singer for REM getting arrested for this in the early 2000s. Wonder how many times it's happened without being reported on.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I remember the singer for REM getting arrested for this in the early 2000s. Wonder how many times it's happened without being reported on.

Probably a lot. I mean, how can you discriminate between a fresh dook and what was supposed to be there in the first place?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It was the guitarist.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tendai posted:

Transocean first is pretty chill in my experience.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Do you typically fly Couch or do you get to fly in First Class with the big, comfy seats at least every once in awhile?

Yes, I know you might not be able to talk about specifics, but if anyone flies even 1/20 as much as you did, then they will know how much Couch loving sucks.

Man, I don't know why you hate this so much, that looks pretty dang comfy to me.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Great thread BTW.

Sorry but you did it a LOT in this post and I'd want to be told if I unknowingly did the same... It's "coach" not "couch."

EFB by minutes.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
:sweatdrop:I will see my self out.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Why did you go non-6(c)? It's pretty feasible to swap to another law enforcement agency. Though I guess four years in its not a huge investment.

I'm a FLEO and can carry on a flight if I want, but I haven't before. Mostly I hate commercial air travel and if I'm on an airliner I want alcohol in my hand. If I did decide to carry on a flight, what would make life easier for the FAM? Do you want me to deal with non-terroristic violations of law on a plane so you don't have to blow your cover over some minor rear end in a top hat? Do you guys actually like / trust a non-FAM armed on the plane, or is it a wildcard you'd rather not deal with?

Can confirm your fighting and firearms training is superb. We had a former FAM in our annual refresher this year and he was pretty legit. He also talked a lot of poo poo about working there, but said he made a lot of money.

Quite simply, I couldn't make it in time. I HAD to get out of that job. After my last flight when a president of a foreign country was aboard and my agency decided not to let me know, it was time for me to cut and run with my new position as quickly as possible. I love my new job, and it's for a much better agency doing a lot better work.

I also cannot pass polygraphs for some reason - 6 separate polygraphs and all said I was lying on a different question. I have no idea why, but there is nothing I can do about it. I would take NCIS in a heartbeat if I could make it in.

We will always talk to other armed leo's before a flight and let you know what the deal is there. We like having more armed people on a plane, usually, as long as they seem to be listening to us when we talk to them before the flight.

You make a ton of money but it's all based on how long you are away from home. It sucks.

quote:

Great thread BTW.

I won't talk about seating specifics - sorry about that.

FAMs are undercover always (with very few exceptions) so take that as you will.

quote:

Apparently there was a dress code mandating suits at one point, but it was relaxed later.

This was a direct consequence of the reason that the agency is so hosed up, and that is because it was run by Secret Service agents who just do not understand the position. A lot of the senior leadership are still retired Secret Service guys that are double dipping and are loving horrible. The dress code was so bad that people used to get in trouble for taking their coats off if the flight was too hot or they were moving through the airport. There are a bunch of stories of those same secret service guys waiting for people to get off a flight to try and ding them on "uniform".

quote:

First class, easily. There's an entitlement issue there, and in the back you have the passenger posse that often deals with issues quickly.

quote:

Sorry but you did it a LOT in this post and I'd want to be told if I unknowingly did the same... It's "coach" not "couch."

EFB by minutes.

I just assumed it was a phone post and there was some strange autocorrect stuff going on. What makes it worse is the banner at at the top says "Live free. Couch hard." It's loving with my head now!

quote:

Transocean first is pretty chill in my experience.

After that meal and until about 2 hours landing, usually, yeah. You have a lot more people thinking they can do whatever the hell they want in first class, though.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Jiro Kage posted:

FAMs are undercover always (with very few exceptions) so take that as you will.
When would a FAM not be undercover?

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Craptacular posted:

When would a FAM not be undercover?

VIPR or an emergent (as in arriving at something that already happened) situation are the two I experienced. VIPR is the only definite one.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Oh I thought you meant "not undercover on a plane", not on a VIPR team or something.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
What's the starting pay for a FAM? Are FAMs payed on the GS scale, or that odd SV pay band system that most of TSA uses?

Around 2.5 years ago TSA was going to change the carry-on rules to allow small knives and some sporting equipment.
(Only to backpedal in the face of intense backlash.)

Would that have had a significant effect on your job? (Due to drunken pax/terrorists possibly wielding tiny pocket knives, golf clubs and the odd hockey stick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Silver95280 posted:

What's the starting pay for a FAM? Are FAMs payed on the GS scale, or that odd SV pay band system that most of TSA uses?

Around 2.5 years ago TSA was going to change the carry-on rules to allow small knives and some sporting equipment.
(Only to backpedal in the face of intense backlash.)

Would that have had a significant effect on your job? (Due to drunken pax/terrorists possibly wielding tiny pocket knives, golf clubs and the odd hockey stick)

It's the SV scale, and Fams start at the G scale - it's pretty significant. One year to H, and then another to I. Without military or prior federal police experience, you are on probation for those 2 years. A standard flying FAM pay is equivalent to GS-13/14 depending on their prior service.

It was a HORRIBLE idea as far as I'm concerned. While sitting on the ground a small knife isn't such a big deal. But in a small, pressurized tube 35k feet up, even that small knife can do damage that someone can't recover from, especially if they are over an ocean. Some of the sporting equipment is the same idea, but I believe a line has to drawn between reality and the need to transport stuff and the chance of it being used as a weapon. The fact remains, there are already so many weapons on a plane that I highly doubt one of them (something brought on by a passenger) will be what someone tries to use. My personal thought is that it will be an insider.

But to answer that, yes, it would probably would have gotten us in trouble because we would have had to react a lot more violently to someone that was combative. If that makes sense to people that have never had to arrest someone before.

Let me put it this way - I got into an argument with a goon who said that a police officer was supposed to put themselves in danger. I vehemently argued that was a stupid statement. The work is inherently dangerous, but there is no reason they have to make it even more dangerous. This would do just that, and increase the response necessary by a certain proportion.

• Locked thread