Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Durf, that is important information to include. It's a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sinestro posted:

Durf, that is important information to include. It's a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H.

You need to do the USB 3 fix, but I haven't tested my one on your board. Try the USB 3 fix I have in the OP and report back.

Z97 boards have working USB 2 but need the fix for USB 3. Some older boards have no working USB at all. Try the USB fix. Check your keyboard, see if it works (try hitting caps lock. if it lights, it works).

If the keyboard works, unplug it and use the mouse in that port.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Clover doesn't want to boot to my Windows 7 drive (it's a separate physical disk) properly: When it boots to it, either i'm stuck at the Windows Error Recovery screen and I have no keyboard/mouse, or Windows sometimes will try to boot, but the screen goes dark and the whole computer just hangs after the Windows 7 logo disappears. BUT...if I select my boot drive from the BIOS Boot Menu before Clover boots, I can select the drive and Windows 7 will boot fine. The selection for the Windows drive that works is just listed as "WDC WD10EZEX-008M2NA0"...there is no UEFI option (although the drive with Clover / OS X that boots fine is "UEFI OS (P4: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB)", so that's apparently UEFI. In other words, booting directly to the Windows drive works fine, but booting to "Boot Windows from Legacy HD1" from within Clover hangs Windows or I have no keyboard/mouse.

So based on this, I'm gathering that Clover is somehow trying to boot my Windows disk wrong? I have Clover Configurator in OS X - I opened config.plist from the EFI partition I started poking around...the only change I've made is under Boot: I changed Legacy from "PBR" to "LegacyBiosDefault", but that doesn't seem to have changed anything. I don't really know what I'm doing, so if anyone has any tips for configuring/checking this, I'd be most appreciative.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3; Clover 2.3k Build 2015-10-06

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sasquatch! posted:

Clover doesn't want to boot to my Windows 7 drive (it's a separate physical disk) properly: When it boots to it, either i'm stuck at the Windows Error Recovery screen and I have no keyboard/mouse, or Windows sometimes will try to boot, but the screen goes dark and the whole computer just hangs after the Windows 7 logo disappears. BUT...if I select my boot drive from the BIOS Boot Menu before Clover boots, I can select the drive and Windows 7 will boot fine. The selection for the Windows drive that works is just listed as "WDC WD10EZEX-008M2NA0"...there is no UEFI option (although the drive with Clover / OS X that boots fine is "UEFI OS (P4: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB)", so that's apparently UEFI. In other words, booting directly to the Windows drive works fine, but booting to "Boot Windows from Legacy HD1" from within Clover hangs Windows or I have no keyboard/mouse.

So based on this, I'm gathering that Clover is somehow trying to boot my Windows disk wrong? I have Clover Configurator in OS X - I opened config.plist from the EFI partition I started poking around...the only change I've made is under Boot: I changed Legacy from "PBR" to "LegacyBiosDefault", but that doesn't seem to have changed anything. I don't really know what I'm doing, so if anyone has any tips for configuring/checking this, I'd be most appreciative.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3; Clover 2.3k Build 2015-10-06

Now that's interesting, haven't seen that before. Clover is doing something wrong. I'll look into it.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

enMTW posted:

Now that's interesting, haven't seen that before. Clover is doing something wrong. I'll look into it.
Thanks! After sleeping on, it might be some BIOS "legacy-vs-UEFI" setting? Like maybe how the BIOS is presenting the disks to Clover? I'll have to play around later tonight and see.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

enMTW posted:

Does anyone have have Chameleon installed and wants to remove it? I need someone to test my process. I will need you on Skype, you to have made the Clover USB drives and you to have Windows 7 (or newer) installation media on hand.

I will stick around with you until you get Clover booting. Obviously backup your machine first, but I won't break your install. I'm a pro.

I do on a client machine.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

enMTW posted:

I've spent hours trying to isolate what's going on. Here's what I've narrowed down:

In the BIOS, if Boot Mode Selection is set to either "UEFI and Legacy" or "Legacy Only":
- F12 Boot Device Selection screen shows me all UEFI and Legacy drives I have on my computer: a UEFI and legacy entry for my OS X boot drive, my legacy Windows drive, and the legacy DVD drive.
Clover shows four boot choices: "Boot Mac OS X from SSD", "Boot Recovery form Recovery HD", "Boot Windows from Legacy HD1", and "Boot Windows from Legacy HD2". (HD1 is how I can attempt to boot into Windows. I'm assuming that one of the Legacy HD1 / Legacy HD2 drives is the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition?)
- If I choose "Boot Windows from Legacy HD1" in Clover results in Windows hanging or with no keyboard response, requires a hard-reset to reboot.

In the BIOS, if Boot Mode Selection is set to "UEFI Only":
- F12 Boot Device Selection screen only shows me the "UEFI OS Samsung SSD" OS X drive. It doesn't show any of the legacy entries.
- If I choose "Boot Windows from Legacy HD1", I immediately get "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart", no keyboard response, requires a hard-reset to reboot.

Again - If I go into the F12 Boot Device Selection and choose to boot off of my Windows drive, Windows comes up fine. It's only when I boot into my OS X / Clover drive and choose the Windows disk from within Clover that Windows hangs with no keyboard response.

The one thing that jumps out at me as the oddest is that when the BIOS Boot Mode Selection os set to UEFI only, the BIOS only sees the only UEFI drive...but Clover still sees all drives. I thought that Clover detected the drives each time? Or is that not the case? Or is there a chance that Clover has stored a bad/wrong config of my drives?

EDIT:
Here is what I believe to be my EFI/CLOVER/config.plist if I “Mount EFI partition” from within Clover Configurator. I say “believe to be” because there doesn’t appear to be a whole lot to it? Any chance I’m looking at the wrong thing?

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>DMAR</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>HaltEnabler</key>
		<true/>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DefaultLoader</key>
		<string>boot.efi</string>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>LastBootedVolume</string>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ResetHDA</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AddClockID</key>
			<true/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DoubleClick</key>
			<integer>500</integer>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Mirror</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<true/>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1280x1024</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>black_green</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelCpu</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelHaswellE</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelLapic</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelPm</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>t1-HD4600_HDMI_Audio-2of2</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				PQwKAAA=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDAController</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				PQwMAAA=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>t1-HD4600_HDMI_Audio-1of2</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				PQsMAAA=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDAController</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				PQwMAAA=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>t1-10.11-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC...</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				gxnUEQ==
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AAAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>t1-10.9-10.11-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC892</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				ixnUEQ==
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				kgjsEA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>t1-AppleHDA/Resources/xml&gt;zml</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				eG1sLnps
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				em1sLnps
				</data>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x28</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x67</string>
		<key>MLB</key>
		<string>(removed)</string>
		<key>ROM</key>
		<string>UseMacAddr0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>02/29/08</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<key>BoardType</key>
		<integer>11</integer>
		<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
		<string>Pro-Enclosure</string>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<key>ChassisType</key>
		<string>06</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>Mac Pro</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacPro3,1</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>(removed)</string>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>YES</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>
EDIT2: If I need to just nuke the whole thing and start over from the beginning, that's definitely an option. I might've bungled up some step along the way...who knows?

Sasquatch! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 21, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

enMTW posted:

In the Clover installer, there is an option to install in Legacy Mode. Try that option.

EDIT: Oh, it was renamed. Under Bootloader, select 'Install boot0af in MBR'. Format the Clover USB stick first.

I'd like to get some good instructions for legacy mode, so if you are available, I can work with you on Skype.

Thanks very much, that got it going.

I was able to boot into the installer, format my SSD, then start installing El Cap.

Unfortunately, when the installer "finished" and rebooted my machine it had not actually done it. If I mount the volume I can see a volume called OS X Install Data with ~340MB of stuff in it. Something went wrong obviously, is it worth trying again?

Cheers!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

Thanks very much, that got it going.

I was able to boot into the installer, format my SSD, then start installing El Cap.

Unfortunately, when the installer "finished" and rebooted my machine it had not actually done it. If I mount the volume I can see a volume called OS X Install Data with ~340MB of stuff in it. Something went wrong obviously, is it worth trying again?

Cheers!

Interesting. I don't have a quick answer, sounds like something I haven't seen before. I'd like to do an install with you live, on Skype, if you have some time tonight/tomorrow night. You do things, I ask questions, together we figure it out, I get to add the solution to my guide.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 21, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

10.11.1 is out. No new WebDriver yet, but the old one works after modding it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

enMTW posted:

10.11.1 is out. No new WebDriver yet, but the old one works after modding it.

I love the feedback for 10.11.1

quote:

No RAID support in Disk Utility anymore, but we now have a taco icon and middle finger! Woohoo! That middle finger one will come in handy when I send Tim Cook my feedback on how I feel about Apple's priorities these days

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

I do on a client machine.

If you have regular access to that machine and some time, I'd love to test the Chameleon removal process.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wasabi the J posted:

I love the feedback for 10.11.1

There is no RAID support in Disk Utility anymore on 10.11.1? Wow.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Djarum posted:

I don't think there was any support in 10.11 either.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sasquatch! posted:

I've spent hours trying to isolate what's going on. Here's what I've narrowed down:

Zero clue. That's a hard one to diagnose, but just hitting F12 at boot to select windows at boot isn't that painful, right?

Please edit that post! If someone else uses your MLB value iMessage will break!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

enMTW posted:

I don't think there was any support in 10.11 either.

The is truly mind-blowing.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Djarum posted:

The is truly mind-blowing.

New Disk Utility. Looks nicer, but is missing a bunch of features.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

enMTW posted:

Interesting. I don't have a quick answer, sounds like something I haven't seen before. I'd like to do an install with you live, on Skype, if you have some time tonight/tomorrow night. You do things, I ask questions, together we figure it out, I get to add the solution to my guide.

I'd be happy to, but I live in GMT+8 so it might be tricky to catch each other.
Perhaps if I install Skype and we see whether we can catch each other at a time is mutually convenient?
And if not, try to organise something?

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

enMTW posted:

When your computer reboots, select your Clover drive through the boot menu again. You should now see another listing in Clover, something along the lines of 'Boot Install OS X off of <name of your hard drive>'. Hit space on that listing and boot in verbose. If you don't see any new listings, boot the installer USB drive again. The installer should see the installer on the hard drive and automatically start the installation.

After the initial reboot, I do not have a listing for "Boot Install OS X off of <name of your hard drive>". I have two new listings for "Boot Mac OS X from <name of my hard drive>", and "Boot Recovery from Recovery HD", but nothing about a new install. I've rebooted over and over, and even re-formatted the target drive and re-installed booting off the USB installer 3 times now, and I never see a new listed for "Boot Install OS X". That said, if I choose "Boot Mac OS X from <name of my hard drive>", I'm then taken to the first-time OS X setup and OS X installs fine. Is this my failing to read something right, or does this still sound like a Clover issue?

THAT said though, even after three separate installs, I'm still having the same issue where Windows hangs / no keyboard if I attempt to boot into Windows from Clover. But...hitting F12 to boot directly off of that drive isn't a big deal. I'm curious as hell to know what's going on here, but I'm not "broken" to where I can't use the computer or anything like that, so no big deal...if I figure something out I'll be sure to let ya know.

Now all of THAT said, OS X seems pretty solid! I previously had a Mavericks install on this computer using Unibeast/Multibeast (guh) and OS X would constantly freeze on me, but this seems pretty solid. Are there any good stress tests out there to give this thing a workout (other than the terminal "yes" test)?

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

Djarum posted:

What. The. gently caress.

Apple *really* hates pros don't they...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Armagnac posted:

What. The. gently caress.

Apple *really* hates pros don't they...

I mean, if you were really a pro, you'd know how to do it with the Terminal, scrub.
./
:smuggo:

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sasquatch! posted:

After the initial reboot, I do not have a listing for "Boot Install OS X off of <name of your hard drive>". I have two new listings for "Boot Mac OS X from <name of my hard drive>", and "Boot Recovery from Recovery HD", but nothing about a new install. I've rebooted over and over, and even re-formatted the target drive and re-installed booting off the USB installer 3 times now, and I never see a new listed for "Boot Install OS X". That said, if I choose "Boot Mac OS X from <name of my hard drive>", I'm then taken to the first-time OS X setup and OS X installs fine. Is this my failing to read something right, or does this still sound like a Clover issue?

THAT said though, even after three separate installs, I'm still having the same issue where Windows hangs / no keyboard if I attempt to boot into Windows from Clover. But...hitting F12 to boot directly off of that drive isn't a big deal. I'm curious as hell to know what's going on here, but I'm not "broken" to where I can't use the computer or anything like that, so no big deal...if I figure something out I'll be sure to let ya know.

Now all of THAT said, OS X seems pretty solid! I previously had a Mavericks install on this computer using Unibeast/Multibeast (guh) and OS X would constantly freeze on me, but this seems pretty solid. Are there any good stress tests out there to give this thing a workout (other than the terminal "yes" test)?

The listing for 'Boot Install Mac OS X' not showing up is normal. The OS X installer sucks. It's related to an issue I describe in the OP ("OS X's installer has a long standing bug where it will place the installation temporary files on the first SATA HFS+ drive it sees, starting from SATA 0. If you have any other Mac formatted hard drives in the computer you will be installing on, disable those drives in your BIOS to avoid a hassle. This bug affects real Mac Pros as well as hacks. ")

The duplicate entries may be a Clover bug. I've heard of it happening, but I have not had it happen to me. Google for it, let me know if you find anything. :(. If not, I'll get into it.

No clue as far as the Windows problem goes. I'll look into it after I get more of the thread completed.

Here are a bunch of things to try to stress a Hack. All of these are problematic on bad hackintoshes (and for different reasons):

If you have an optical drive, try playing a DVD.

Install a Source-engine Steam game, launch it, try to play.

Sign in to the Mac App Store/iMessage/FaceTime.

~Coxy posted:

I'd be happy to, but I live in GMT+8 so it might be tricky to catch each other.
Perhaps if I install Skype and we see whether we can catch each other at a time is mutually convenient?
And if not, try to organise something?

Added.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 22, 2015

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

OK I think I worked it out.

The El Cap installer did some stuff on my SSD then restarted.
Because it went back into Clover drive select and was not yet able to enumerate the disk I tried to install it on, I assumed that something went wrong.

Instead it looks like this was intentional.
After booting back into the El Cap installer, the installation automatically continued and finished successfully.

Oddly, after installing Clover onto the SSD, I was able to UEFI boot into that disk from my BIOS and then boot the installed El Cap from there!

Success!

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 22, 2015

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean, if you were really a pro, you'd know how to do it with the Terminal, scrub.
./
:smuggo:

Lol. If I was really a pro, I'd just run Linux...

That said 10.11 bumps up the limit on connected GPU's to 5, so maybe it's just Disk Util that's lagging a bit behind.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

OK I think I worked it out.

The El Cap installer did some stuff on my SSD then restarted.
Because it went back into Clover drive select and was not yet able to enumerate the disk I tried to install it on, I assumed that something went wrong.

Instead it looks like this was intentional.
After booting back into the El Cap installer, the installation automatically continued and finished successfully.

Oddly, after installing Clover onto the SSD, I was able to UEFI boot into that disk from my BIOS and then boot the installed El Cap from there!

Success!

Yay! I covered the 'having to boot the installer USB twice because the Installer has bugs' thing in the OP but it must have not been clear enough. I'll improve it.

Some early UEFI motherboards support UEFI booting over SATA but not over USB. Lucky you.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

New WebDriver is out. Supports 10.11.1. Update through System Preferences or http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.03f01/WebDriver-346.03.03f01.pkg

Also, you can run the old Yosemite Disk Utility in El Cap if you need to create RAID volumes or anything. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/480-disk-utilitypatched/

enMTW fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 22, 2015

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
My Hackintosh is now 100% operational and has survived it's first test. Did a system update this morning and everything went perfect, nothing broke. Overall I'd say clover with El Cap is a lot easier to set up vs what I did for Yosemite with the old boot loader, took me a while to finish up all the little bits (mostly around getting my Windows partition up and fully running) but that's because I could only dedicate short bursts of time to it over the last week or so.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Ouhei posted:

My Hackintosh is now 100% operational and has survived it's first test. Did a system update this morning and everything went perfect, nothing broke. Overall I'd say clover with El Cap is a lot easier to set up vs what I did for Yosemite with the old boot loader, took me a while to finish up all the little bits (mostly around getting my Windows partition up and fully running) but that's because I could only dedicate short bursts of time to it over the last week or so.

Glad you like it! That is why I recommend Clover. Much easier to maintain, no work to do after point updates, etc.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 22, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anything special we on Clover should do to update to 10.11.1?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
All the .1 added was bugfixes for certain apps and a bunch of emoji. If you just update Clover when asked to and don't run preview builds, you're almost always fine anymore. The yearly 10.x update is still a ceremonial "hold your breath" upgrade just because of Murphy's Law, but there's enough work happening to Clover now to test those early builds and make sure things ready for the standard release.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Asking because enMTW said something to the effect of, "use this specific version of Clover and no others," to me.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anything special we on Clover should do to update to 10.11.1?

Nope.

My comment about 'specific version of Clover' is only relevant to 10.11 itself. The compiles on the SourceForge are old/may overwrite your theme and config.plist, but otherwise they can boot El Cap. Versions older than R3250 can't boot El Cap.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks, so I shouldn't update the bootloader?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Does anyone have any experience with using Garageband and Xcode when running a virtual machine'd Hackintosh? I can't really justify buying an extra hard-drive for a full boot for just dipping into those pieces of software occasionally when I'm bored (especially since I'd still want to be doing all my Windows stuff at the same time), but I'm not sure how well either of those programs would run - or in the case of Xcode, whether I could send the app I'd be trying to develop to my iPhone in the first place.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks, so I shouldn't update the bootloader?

There is no need to update right now. If you want to update, set up CloverGrowerPro and use the updates it generates.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Question Mark Mound posted:

Does anyone have any experience with using Garageband and Xcode when running a virtual machine'd Hackintosh? I can't really justify buying an extra hard-drive for a full boot for just dipping into those pieces of software occasionally when I'm bored (especially since I'd still want to be doing all my Windows stuff at the same time), but I'm not sure how well either of those programs would run - or in the case of Xcode, whether I could send the app I'd be trying to develop to my iPhone in the first place.

Works fine, both of them.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

enMTW posted:

Works fine, both of them.
Awesome, thanks!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Awesome, thanks!

All graphical effects are slow (as you don't have Quartz) but those apps can be used. Was a bit early in the morning, missed the 'Virtual Machined' part.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

enMTW posted:

All graphical effects are slow (as you don't have Quartz) but those apps can be used. Was a bit early in the morning, missed the 'Virtual Machined' part.
Ah well, I'll give it a go anyway and see how it runs. Alternatively I could see if it's simple enough to make a bootable USB drive out of an old stick I can find in a drawer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Ah well, I'll give it a go anyway and see how it runs. Alternatively I could see if it's simple enough to make a bootable USB drive out of an old stick I can find in a drawer.

What motherboard do you have?

A 256gb SSD is a measly $60 these days, just saying. 128 is even cheaper. You can install Tuxera NTFS once you have the OS installed and use your main drive for actual file storage.