Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I have a well-working 10.10.2 install w/ Chameleon, except for one thing:

“Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.”

I’m using an Intel Ethernet PCIe card because I've had issues with my onboard ethernet (GA-X58A-UD3R) in the past and this Intel card works great.

I tried removing NetworkInterfaces.plist and re-adding my device but no dice :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

admiraldennis posted:

I have a well-working 10.10.2 install w/ Chameleon, except for one thing:

“Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.”

I’m using an Intel Ethernet PCIe card because I've had issues with my onboard ethernet (GA-X58A-UD3R) in the past and this Intel card works great.

I tried removing NetworkInterfaces.plist and re-adding my device but no dice :(

In what app? iMessage or App Store?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Easy Tiger posted:

Anyone else ready to buy a Mac now because you're so impressed with OS X?

I need more power than a Mac Mini, but don't want to keep buying integrated displays every few years; and every Mac model Apple makes now has this completely unique motherboard design with as much stuff soldered on at the factory as possible.

It made it a little easier to dive into iOS, though.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Yeah, that's the boat I'm in. I have a rMBP, but none of their desktop options fit my needs. I don't want an all-in-one, the Mac Mini is nowhere near powerful enough, and the Trashcan Pro is a highly compromised choice (I don't need or want dual GPUs, but I do want at least one internal HDD in addition to SSD storage), which is hardly ideal if I'm going to pay $3K+.

If, instead of/ in addition to the trashcan Pro, they still offered an updated version of the old Mac Pro, then I would totally be willing to just buy one of those rather than mess around with a Hackintosh.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The old Mac Pro was also significantly more expensive than the old Power Mac G5s which is weird.

Back in the G4 days a tower was something that a prosumer or enthusiast could and would buy but they've been moving further and further away from that.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

enMTW posted:

In what app? iMessage or App Store?

App Store

Haven't tried iMessage yet - heard it can lock you out if you try to use it and aren't set up right. Also not as important to me as App Store!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Since "returning" to the Mac fold in 2003 my desktop machines had been a G5 and an early 2008 Mac Pro. The cheesegrater form factor was pretty great.

But upon wanting a new machine in 2014 I didn't want an all-in-one, the mini seemed too pokey/unexpandable, and the trashcan is about everything the cheesegrater wasn't. So hackintosh it is.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

admiraldennis posted:

App Store

Haven't tried iMessage yet - heard it can lock you out if you try to use it and aren't set up right. Also not as important to me as App Store!

Does your Network Adapter appear as En0? You can check that in Network Utility.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

I've always been a Mac user; for me Hackintosh is merely because Apple won't sell me the Mac I want to buy.

Bingo. Same here.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

~Coxy posted:

The old Mac Pro was also significantly more expensive than the old Power Mac G5s which is weird.

Back in the G4 days a tower was something that a prosumer or enthusiast could and would buy but they've been moving further and further away from that.

Well they have positioned the iMacs are the prosumer/enthusiast desktop market. The trashcans are the professional option. I do find it a little strange that they haven't brought a more traditional desktop machine out. I think they are giving the Hackintosh market to that realm though. Theoretically if you are needing more hardware for whatever task you are throwing at it you have also spent money on the software which is where Apple is looking to make money now.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Djarum posted:

Well they have positioned the iMacs are the prosumer/enthusiast desktop market. The trashcans are the professional option. I do find it a little strange that they haven't brought a more traditional desktop machine out. I think they are giving the Hackintosh market to that realm though. Theoretically if you are needing more hardware for whatever task you are throwing at it you have also spent money on the software which is where Apple is looking to make money now.

Honestly most companies using macs in a professional capacity don't really give a poo poo. They bought decked out cheese graters before and now they buy decked out trash cans or big ol iMacs. I don't think upgradability ever factors into the equation.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

GokieKS posted:

I don't want an all-in-one, the Mac Mini is nowhere near powerful enough, and the Trashcan Pro is a highly compromised choice
Same. I'd love to upgrade my Mini, but the new ones aren't really THAT much better than the years-old model I already own, and I'm definitely not in the market for a Pro.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

8ender posted:

Honestly most companies using macs in a professional capacity don't really give a poo poo. They bought decked out cheese graters before and now they buy decked out trash cans or big ol iMacs. I don't think upgradability ever factors into the equation.

You are right. I am meaning more the end user not business. Let's say you are shooting 4k video or what have you. You are likely going to build a Hackintosh but then spend the money on Final Cut/Avid among other things.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

enMTW posted:

Does your Network Adapter appear as En0? You can check that in Network Utility.

Yepppers! :saddowns:

I think maybe it's not being seen as "built-in" based on the en0 within the default name? (I do have EthernetBuiltIn set to "yes")

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 2, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

admiraldennis posted:

Yepppers! :saddowns:

I think maybe it's not being seen as "built-in" based on the en0 within the default name? (I do have EthernetBuiltIn set to "yes")

It's hard to offer support as I haven't run Chameleon in many years. Any particular reason you can't boot Clover off USB? :(

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Easy Tiger posted:

Anyone else ready to buy a Mac now because you're so impressed with OS X?

I liked it so much, I bought two of them, and one for my dad for Christmas last year.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

My nice guide to fixing audio after sleep isn't ready yet (I don't have the time to finish it at the moment) but I didn't want to leave anyone waiting. So here you go:

For ALC XXX excluding ALC1150: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-eapd-codec-commander/downloads/RehabMan-CodecCommander-2015-0522.zip

Put that kext in the Clover/kexts folders and reboot. Done

For ALC 1150: http://enmtw.com/CodecCommander.kext.zip

Same deal.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Working on the remaining sections of the OP tonight. Anyone have any priorities? Guides for fixing X, etc.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Is it easiest to use the ROM/MLB/whatever values from an actual Mac to make iMessage work? Would that Mac still be able to use iMessage, etc. if I did that?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

cbirdsong posted:

Is it easiest to use the ROM/MLB/whatever values from an actual Mac to make iMessage work? Would that Mac still be able to use iMessage, etc. if I did that?

Yes, no.

iMessage should work OOTB with Clover.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 5, 2015

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

enMTW posted:

It's hard to offer support as I haven't run Chameleon in many years. Any particular reason you can't boot Clover off USB? :(

I haven't been able to get it to work :(

I figured maybe my my stuff is too old. It’s a X58 Nehalem w/ Bloomfield CPU thing: GA-X58A-UD3R w/ i7-950. Graphics card is an R9-280X

It just seems to do this:

(the USB stick shows activity, it shows black for a while, then this appears)

I’d love to get as much use out of this as possible (and the CPU speed is fine for my uses), but maybe it’s finally time to look into a Haswell mobo/cpu bundle at MicroCenter…

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

admiraldennis posted:

I haven't been able to get it to work :(

I figured maybe my my stuff is too old. It’s a X58 Nehalem w/ Bloomfield CPU thing: GA-X58A-UD3R w/ i7-950. Graphics card is an R9-280X

It just seems to do this:

(the USB stick shows activity, it shows black for a while, then this appears)

I’d love to get as much use out of this as possible (and the CPU speed is fine for my uses), but maybe it’s finally time to look into a Haswell mobo/cpu bundle at MicroCenter…

You need to install in Legacy Boot mode, not the EFI options in the installer. Select 'Install boot0af in MBR' in the installer app, under Bootloader.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
All set up, almost! enMTW, your guides are pretty rad. Any ETA on the iMessage section?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

cbirdsong posted:

All set up, almost! enMTW, your guides are pretty rad. Any ETA on the iMessage section?

Might get that done tonight. Is iMessage not working for you? What's happening when you try to sign in?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It signs in, but I can't send any iMessages. Continuity phone calls work, and I think it can send SMSes, but I'd have to check to be sure.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

cbirdsong posted:

It signs in, but I can't send any iMessages. Continuity phone calls work, and I think it can send SMSes, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Ok. This post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747066&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post451863087 may be helpful.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
No dice. Strangely, the iMessages I sent earlier came in at some point. Replying to those people successfully sends an iMessage, but starting a new conversation defaults to a text message, which fails to send.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

cbirdsong posted:

No dice. Strangely, the iMessages I sent earlier came in at some point. Replying to those people successfully sends an iMessage, but starting a new conversation defaults to a text message, which fails to send.

Try making a new user account in OS X. Does that work? The issues you are describing don't seem like iMessage issues.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Skylake is now working! https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/appleapic-kext-binary-patch-for-skylake/.

Going to setup a test rig and see what changes I need to make to the guide for Skylake. Looks like just that Clover patch (and only until Gigabyte updates their BIOS) and an edit to the audio fix.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Making some tweaks to the OP. Cleaning it up, making it easier to maintain, fixing typos. Anyone have any hackintosh issues they want support on? I got.....nothing to do.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 7, 2015

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I appreciate the guide. I think just a lot of us are waiting for a good Skylake build to come out so we can upgrade.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Hed posted:

I appreciate the guide. I think just a lot of us are waiting for a good Skylake build to come out so we can upgrade.

Skylake is still a bit too hacky to recommend yet, but it's not far off. Soon!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
On another computer I have, after installing El Cap and booting into it, I get a black screen with a SBOD.
I'm thinking this is the post-installation finalisation, but I've left it for hours and nothing happens except the SBOD.

Any ideas for a way to fix this?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

On another computer I have, after installing El Cap and booting into it, I get a black screen with a SBOD.
I'm thinking this is the post-installation finalisation, but I've left it for hours and nothing happens except the SBOD.

Any ideas for a way to fix this?

That's hard to diagnose. Does it happen after reinstalling? Something could have gone wrong during installation.

mryellowduck
Oct 31, 2015

by Shine
Is it possible to get OS X running in a VM (e.g. Workstation Pro on Windows)?

I know the reverse is possible with having Windows in a VM on OS X. I need a unix system for web development, but can't install hackintosh standalone on my system because of my employer's rules.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

mryellowduck posted:

I know the reverse is possible with having Windows in a VM on OS X. I need a unix system for web development, but can't install hackintosh standalone on my system because of my employer's rules.

I was able to get OSX running fine in a VM, but I had to use :filez: to do it; I was told it's not possible to do it without hacks.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

mryellowduck posted:

Not well. Graphics acceleration won't work, which is a big deal. Everything will be laggy.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks a ton for this thread enMTW. Two questions:

If I DO have both a Haswell Refresh processor and an AMD GPU, is it safe to say that I probably SHOULD select the 5k iMac as the model? The MacPro3,1 is pretty old. Surely CPU power management and such doesn't work the same?

Second, is there anything special about the black_green theme? Or just an arbitrary choice?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Seven Round Things posted:

Thanks a ton for this thread enMTW. Two questions:

If I DO have both a Haswell Refresh processor and an AMD GPU, is it safe to say that I probably SHOULD select the 5k iMac as the model? The MacPro3,1 is pretty old. Surely CPU power management and such doesn't work the same?

Second, is there anything special about the black_green theme? Or just an arbitrary choice?

Always always always pick MacPro3,1. iMacs use mobile GPUs, it is likely you will experience some problems if you use its SMBios. CPU Power Management works perfectly with MacPro3,1.

Nothing special. It is the least hideous one/not the default, which makes it easy for me to see if the config.plist is being loaded when someone posts in reply here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Some updates:

working a bit on the thread now
Skylake is improving, is almost recommendable now
El Cap USB 3 issues are (for most people) gone in 10.11.2. If you have Intel USB, you should be good once 10.11.2 comes out. The 'how to fix' guide in OP won't break anything for you, either. So you can wait or you can fix it now.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 6, 2015