Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Cool, I never got USB3 working since that time you and I tried working through it over the phone, so here's hoping 10.11.2 solves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
To provide another datapoint: On my GA-H81M-H, USB3 worked perfectly without needing to do anything. It works after sleep too. 10.11.1.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Seven Round Things posted:

To provide another datapoint: On my GA-H81M-H, USB3 worked perfectly without needing to do anything. It works after sleep too. 10.11.1.

10.11.1 also made USB changes. Lots of Gigabyte boards worked OOTB with it. 10.11.2 seems to cover the remanning boards. :)

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 9, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Meh, I must have a weird board. I decided to live dangerously and install the 10.11.2 public beta. It's still not seeing my USB 3.0 external hard disk.

edit: when plugged straight into a USB 3 port, it doesn't see it at all. I've also got a USB 3.0 hub plugged in; if I plug into the hub it sees it as 2.0.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 6, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

Meh, I must have a weird board. I decided to live dangerously and install the 10.11.2 public beta. It's still not seeing my USB 3.0 external hard disk.

edit: when plugged straight into a USB 3 port, it doesn't see it at all. I've also got a USB 3.0 hub plugged in; if I plug into the hub it sees it as 2.0.

Does your board use Intel USB?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

As far as I know, yes. It's a Z87 chipset.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Heads up, all of the links in the OP seem to be broken (including the Clover download link).

Edit: and the links for everything :smith:

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

P.N.T.M. posted:

Heads up, all of the links in the OP seem to be broken (including the Clover download link).

Edit: and the links for everything :smith:

poo poo. I'll fix that tonight.

kitten smoothie posted:

As far as I know, yes. It's a Z87 chipset.

What's the model number?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

10.11.2 is out. Here's a beta WebDriver, final will be out shortly: http://us.download.nvidia.com/YXVa4s9EgmmsI1dfWUBwBitc4iOJ9Icg/WebDriver-346.03.04b02.pkg

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Alrighty, so I was able to follow almost everything since you (enMTW) were awesome enough to write it all out. I've got a stable booting machine, with a Win10 drive that loads up out of Clover with no problems. I can wait on the Audio fixes to be relinked, that isn't a big deal.

The only thing I can't figure out is what's causing this USB notice to keep popping up. I've got a USB3 header in use right now, any chance that could be the issue?

EDIT edit: Oh just saw the USB3 + ElCap section, this is probably the issue. Thanks!

Edit: This isn't my first rodeo, but I just got a fresh SSD and I thought starting from scratch would be nice.

i7-3770k
Gigabyte z77x-uD3H
250GB Samsung 850 Evo
16 GB DDR3 1600

I've unplugged all my USB peripherals, no dice, the messages still pop up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

P.N.T.M. posted:

Alrighty, so I was able to follow almost everything since you (enMTW) were awesome enough to write it all out. I've got a stable booting machine, with a Win10 drive that loads up out of Clover with no problems. I can wait on the Audio fixes to be relinked, that isn't a big deal.

The only thing I can't figure out is what's causing this USB notice to keep popping up. I've got a USB3 header in use right now, any chance that could be the issue?

EDIT edit: Oh just saw the USB3 + ElCap section, this is probably the issue. Thanks!

Edit: This isn't my first rodeo, but I just got a fresh SSD and I thought starting from scratch would be nice.

i7-3770k
Gigabyte z77x-uD3H
250GB Samsung 850 Evo
16 GB DDR3 1600

I've unplugged all my USB peripherals, no dice, the messages still pop up

Are you still having these issues?

edit: fixed the links in the OP.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 9, 2015

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
I'm going to have free time to work on it tomorrow night, some of the broken links were holding me back. Thanks again though, this was monumentally less painful than what I had to go through with multibeast.

Edit: Minor note, the fix_plist.zip link has a period included in the url tag, so it seems broken at first. Same goes for the bitbucket link for MaciASL

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 9, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

P.N.T.M. posted:

I'm going to have free time to work on it tomorrow night, some of the broken links were holding me back. Thanks again though, this was monumentally less painful than what I had to go through with multibeast.

Edit: Minor note, the fix_plist.zip link has a period included in the url tag, so it seems broken at first. Same goes for the bitbucket link for MaciASL

Thanks for that! Fixed.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I updated the USB 3 fix, now it should work for more people/more motherboards. Fix.plist.zip has changed, along with the rest of the tutorial. Now easier and compatible with more boards.

I plan to write up the audio after sleep fix for the guide today. I posted the fix itself a few pages back, just have to clean it up for the guide.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

New final WebDriver for 10.11.2: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.04f01/WebDriver-346.03.04f01.pkg

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Gigabyte has started to release the BIOS update that fixes Skylake motherboards. The GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 has received it thus far. After updating, disable IOAPIC/set the USB 3 bios settings in the OP and boot. All works.

For Skylake, avoid the boards with the Intel on-board ethernet; the new i219-V controller is unsupported under OS X. The Gaming boards (Gaming-3, Gaming-5, Gaming-7, Gaming G1) all have working Atheros ethernet. Outside of that, all is normal after the BIOS update. The 3/5/7 haven't been updated yet, but they soon will be.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
No luck with audio or that weird USB message. As far as audio I have a little USB soundcard I bought as a backup way back when and it's plug and play. I've checked all my USB ports, they are all functioning, and the USB3 front header was able to power up my external drive and transfer 7gb at the right speed, soooooo I don't know what to think about that.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
OP is awesome, I really did not think getting OS X running on random PC would be that easy. My mainboard is Asus P8Z77M-Pro and as far as I can tell everything is working perfectly.

And I think it’s snappier than my brand new iMac at work…

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
I'm looking for a mATX motherboard, socket 1155, to use for this. The OP only has 1150 mobos (from what I can see). I'm looking to throw in a i7-2700k.

Any recommendations?

utonium
Dec 17, 2002

enMTW posted:

USB 3 El Capitan fix for Gigabyte Z97 motherboards

Note: This will only work on boards with Intel USB 3 chipsets.

USB 3 on El Capitan is complicated. For most people, El Capitan breaks USB 3 support. Until 10.11.1, the only way to fix it involved complicated DSDT patches. Now, it's rather easy. Follow along...

First step: Go to About this Mac - System Report - USB. You should see your USB 3 bus listed with no devices under it. If you see devices listed under USB 3, things are working natively!
Is there a simple way to test if my USB 3 ports are actually operating at USB 3.0 speeds, or am I able to just trust System Report? I'll look again when I get home, but I think mine has reported as a USB 3 bus since I installed El Capitan, even though I'm running a Gigabyte Z97 board. I did this just a couple weeks ago, so I was starting off with 10.11.1.

I updated to 10.11.2 using the App Store this morning with no issues. However, in my boot menu after I hit F12, it used to show the actual device name of my SSD I installed OS X to (a spare drive) but now it just has two entries of "OS X". Selecting the second one takes me to the Clover boot menu, which loads fine. I should probably check my BIOS settings to make sure nothing got changed by accident.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

P.N.T.M. posted:

No luck with audio or that weird USB message. As far as audio I have a little USB soundcard I bought as a backup way back when and it's plug and play. I've checked all my USB ports, they are all functioning, and the USB3 front header was able to power up my external drive and transfer 7gb at the right speed, soooooo I don't know what to think about that.

Your board has a known there. Solution: disable CPU PLL over voltage in the BIOS. After you disable it, power the machine off and unplug it for at least 2 minutes. Replug and you'll never have the USB power issue again.

Your motherboard has an exotic audio setup. Download this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/496-applehda-patcher/ and select VIA VT2020/2012 under Desktop. Ta-da.

Grimshak posted:

I'm looking for a mATX motherboard, socket 1155, to use for this. The OP only has 1150 mobos (from what I can see). I'm looking to throw in a i7-2700k.

Any recommendations?

I'll look around for a board that's still available and get back to you. Most Sandy Bridge-era boards are long since sold out.

utonium posted:

Is there a simple way to test if my USB 3 ports are actually operating at USB 3.0 speeds, or am I able to just trust System Report? I'll look again when I get home, but I think mine has reported as a USB 3 bus since I installed El Capitan, even though I'm running a Gigabyte Z97 board. I did this just a couple weeks ago, so I was starting off with 10.11.1.

I updated to 10.11.2 using the App Store this morning with no issues. However, in my boot menu after I hit F12, it used to show the actual device name of my SSD I installed OS X to (a spare drive) but now it just has two entries of "OS X". Selecting the second one takes me to the Clover boot menu, which loads fine. I should probably check my BIOS settings to make sure nothing got changed by accident.

Use the BlackMagic Speed Test app. It's free, in the Mac App Store.

That's normal, it's a motherboard bug. Happens to some people. Reset your BIOS if you want to fix it.

ah forget it posted:

OP is awesome, I really did not think getting OS X running on random PC would be that easy. My mainboard is Asus P8Z77M-Pro and as far as I can tell everything is working perfectly.

And I think it’s snappier than my brand new iMac at work…

:)

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 11, 2015

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Question. I had to use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext since I have Asus mainboard. To get rid of of it and get working power management/Speedstep I have to flash patched BIOS, right? Are there any negatives to running NullCPUPowerManagement.kext besides power management and CPU just running full tilt all the time?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

ah forget it posted:

Question. I had to use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext since I have Asus mainboard. To get rid of of it and get working power management/Speedstep I have to flash patched BIOS, right? Are there any negatives to running NullCPUPowerManagement.kext besides power management and CPU just running full tilt all the time?

No, that's about it.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

enMTW posted:

No, that's about it.

Thanks, however I found out that flashing a patched BIOS sounded scarier than it really was and now all is good.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is it worth trying to Hackintosh a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 and an i7 920 Bloomfield? Can it even be done? :shobon:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm asking this in here because I think it might be the best place to do so given the amount of collective OSX hacking experience. I have a 2010 15" Macbook Pro with a failing nVidia discrete graphics. Apple refuses to repair it so that's off the table.

I'd like to disable the nvidia GPU permanently but I can't find a reliable way to do it. gfxCardStatus let's me force Intel but that doesn't seem to always be reliable. Certain apps call for OpenGL and OSX still happily obliges, causing panics. Removing the nVidia kexts seems to result in software rendering no matter which GPU is being used.

Given my experience with hackintoshing I feel like there has to be some easy fix for this. Hell if it was a hack I'd just use nv_disable=1 and call it done. Anyone have any ideas?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

eightysixed posted:

Is it worth trying to Hackintosh a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 and an i7 920 Bloomfield? Can it even be done? :shobon:

I'm running Mavericks on that mobo and it was one of the easier Hacks that I've done. I started with a 920 and then later changed to a six-core 3.16 Westmere Xeon on the same mobo and OSX deals with it fine.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

eightysixed posted:

Install Clover in non-EFI legacy mode and it should work just fine.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

8ender posted:

I'm asking this in here because I think it might be the best place to do so given the amount of collective OSX hacking experience. I have a 2010 15" Macbook Pro with a failing nVidia discrete graphics. Apple refuses to repair it so that's off the table.

I'd like to disable the nvidia GPU permanently but I can't find a reliable way to do it. gfxCardStatus let's me force Intel but that doesn't seem to always be reliable. Certain apps call for OpenGL and OSX still happily obliges, causing panics. Removing the nVidia kexts seems to result in software rendering no matter which GPU is being used.

Given my experience with hackintoshing I feel like there has to be some easy fix for this. Hell if it was a hack I'd just use nv_disable=1 and call it done. Anyone have any ideas?

Can I get your Skype? I may be able to help.

EDIT: nv_disable=1 is a normal boot arg. In terminal, type 'nvram -p'. You should see any set boot args somewhere in the output. Something along the lines of 'sudo nvram boot-args="nv_disable=1'. should work.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 17, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

Can I get your Skype? I may be able to help.

EDIT: nv_disable=1 is a normal boot arg. In terminal, type 'nvram -p'. You should see any set boot args somewhere in the output. Something along the lines of 'sudo nvram boot-args="nv_disable=1'. should work.

I don't have Skype at the moment and I'm not sure when I'll have time to do a live chat.

nv_disable is an Apple supported NVRAM arg? I thought that was Clover specific. This Macbook Pro is bone stock. It would just what I need if it worked.

I don't have any current boot-args set, I tried "agc=3" and a few others I dug up on the internet but nothing definitively disables that drat nVidia GPU. Removing the nVidia kexts just results in software accelerated video instead of using the Intel GPU like I'd have expected it to.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

8ender posted:

I don't have Skype at the moment and I'm not sure when I'll have time to do a live chat. So nv_disable is an Apple supported NVRAM arg? Because that would just be great if it worked.

I don't have any current boot-args set, I tried "agc=3" and a few others I dug up on the internet but nothing definitively disables that drat nVidia GPU. Removing the nVidia kexts just results in software accelerated video instead of using the Intel GPU like I'd have expected it to.

It's an arg that should work on a real mac, not a hackintosh one. Try setting -v, see if it boots verbose.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

It's an arg that should work on a real mac, not a hackintosh one. Try setting -v, see if it boots verbose.

I just tried nv_disable and it certainly does work to disable the nvidia card, but leaves me without any acceleration (No QI/CI) at all. OSX seems to think I'm connected to a projector and gfxCardStatus can't force Integrated Intel graphics because it thinks an external display is connected. It's certainly progress but it's left the system in a really odd state.

The more research I do on this and the more I'm becoming convinced that Apple's implementation of graphics switching on the 2010 Macbook depends the nVidia GPU to function. Somehow the Intel GPU isn't treated as a separate GPU and more as a slave to the discrete card. Disabling nVidia seems to blow away any switching capabilities as well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Good news, everyone!

http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver1.html

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
So I'm thinking about adding a second SSD to my Windows PC and trying to install OS X. I use a Macbook at work and I greatly prefer OS X. However, my wife finds OS X frustrating as she's a lifelong Windows user. Ideally I'd like to be able to set things up so that if you turn the PC on and don't do anything else it boots into Windows, but so that I can boot it into OS X if I choose. How feasible is that? I had a setup like that with Linux using LILO years and years ago, it would boot to Windows by default unless you selected Linux.

I don't expect the hack will be easy, I have a MSI H77MA-G43 motherboard with an i5-3570. There's only a few threads on tonymacx86.com and one of them reports success, so I'm hopeful I can run El Cap. I've got a GeForce 650 in the machine as well.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

And it works on a hack to boot, just toss the driver in Clover/Kexts/<OS X version>. You can boot off those drives on a hack. Sucks that Rominator is involved in this though, he's such a money hungry shitbag.

In other unrelated news, GenericUSBXHCI is working again! Those wacky non-Intel USB chipsets work yet again. http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/181059-3rd-party-usb-3-0-genericusbxhci-kext-working-10-11-2-a.html

Xir posted:

So I'm thinking about adding a second SSD to my Windows PC and trying to install OS X. I use a Macbook at work and I greatly prefer OS X. However, my wife finds OS X frustrating as she's a lifelong Windows user. Ideally I'd like to be able to set things up so that if you turn the PC on and don't do anything else it boots into Windows, but so that I can boot it into OS X if I choose. How feasible is that? I had a setup like that with Linux using LILO years and years ago, it would boot to Windows by default unless you selected Linux.

I don't expect the hack will be easy, I have a MSI H77MA-G43 motherboard with an i5-3570. There's only a few threads on tonymacx86.com and one of them reports success, so I'm hopeful I can run El Cap. I've got a GeForce 650 in the machine as well.

Looks like that board works well. Give it a shot. All of that is feasible and relatively easy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

enMTW posted:

In other unrelated news, GenericUSBXHCI is working again! Those wacky non-Intel USB chipsets work yet again. http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/181059-3rd-party-usb-3-0-genericusbxhci-kext-working-10-11-2-a.html

Not sure if you would know the ins and outs of USB chipsets, but would this be likely to cover the Etron EJ168 USB3 controllers on Gigabyte Z68 boards?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

Not sure if you would know the ins and outs of USB chipsets, but would this be likely to cover the Etron EJ168 USB3 controllers on Gigabyte Z68 boards?

100%, will work.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

enMTW posted:

Looks like that board works well. Give it a shot. All of that is feasible and relatively easy.

Well, I was going to.

Then I got bitten by the upgrade bug. I bought the following:

i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 mATX board
16GB DDR3-1600.
Another 250GB SSD (for OSX)

So theoretically I should still have an easy time. When the stuff comes in, I'm gonna have a blast.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Xir posted:

Well, I was going to.

Then I got bitten by the upgrade bug. I bought the following:

i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 mATX board
16GB DDR3-1600.
Another 250GB SSD (for OSX)

So theoretically I should still have an easy time. When the stuff comes in, I'm gonna have a blast.

Yep that'll be a breeze.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Skylake update: Intel On Board Ethernet (i219) is now supported in OS X; IntelMausiEthernet has been updated. Skylake is almost recommendable. Still more work than Haswell but it does work. Still waiting for Gigabyte's BIOS update for most boards but I'll start putting together a recommended hardware list and a special Skylake install guide in the coming days.