Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

When was the last time Apple put nV chips in official Macs? Is this an issue on official Macs with Maxwell aftermarket cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Sasquatch! posted:

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

RandomCheese posted:

On a mac you can get around this by changing the system date back a year to do the install and then fix it up afterwards, I think this would also work on a hackintosh.

Yes this works on Hackintoshes and in Fusion. I'd unplug Ethernet/airplane mode/disable virtual guest networking to prevent acquiring network time first, of course.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 6, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

macOS Sierra got announced, and, uh, that looks like that about wraps it up for MacPro3,1.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

RandomCheese posted:

Anyone installed 10.11.6 yet?

Yes. In-place, even. No upgrade issues so far (though I've never tried HDMI Audio or iMessage so ymmv). The beta Nvidia driver actually worked for the day or three until the formal 10.11.6 driver came out.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

revmoo posted:

Any way to create a bootable drive from a el capitan .dmg?

I cannot get app store to resume my dl its stalled, but I do have the .dmg already, just unibeast expects the app store download.

Unibeast expects the App Store download. You may be able to turn install media into more install media with the createinstallmedia command, but you can't turn it into another App Store download.

Fortunately Unibeast is garbage and any sane way to Hackintosh (OPs are for reading) can work from createinstallmedia USB drives just fine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

oohhboy posted:

Not exactly Drivers, but Nvidia hasn't forgotten Macs.

Wow, maybe they should have.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

That's a fair justification for why nVidia isn't down for it, but I don't see anything that qualifies as a blessing there.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

8ender posted:

I just gave up and bought a cheap b-stock EVGA 980ti when they were clearing them out. The 980ti is still a beast and it delays me having to abandon my hackintosh longer.

I totally understand nVidia not supporting Pascal yet. My hope is that they're keeping the Mac driver warm hoping for a contract for an upcoming product.

Considering that Apple has done nothing to dispel rumors of ARM macOS (maybe it's still general-purpose but don't hold your breath), I doubt there's room for nVidia to come back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Seven Round Things posted:

Do we know
a) Why Nvidia decided to continue updating their existing 9xx web driver for new versions of macOS, but not to update it to support newer hardware
and
b) Whether the same is likely to be true for all future NV hardware?

a) They support the 900s because they started supporting the 900s and while they could back out now it would look even worse than Nvidia typically does. Pascal cards fit in very few Macs new enough for Sierra (without Hacking them, at least :v:) and it's hard for anyone to credibly blame them. There's probably some technical reasons for it too, I don't really know.

b) Unless Nvidia rebuilds its bridges with Apple (lol) it's over.