Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hey thread, I'm thinking about going the Hackintosh route with a separate SSD, but I was wondering if it'd be worth it with my current specs?

code:
Summary
		Operating System
			Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
		CPU
			Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz	22 °C
			Skylake 14nm Technology
		RAM
			8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1202MHz (16-16-16-39)
		Motherboard
			ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-A (LGA1151)	25 °C
		Graphics
			MG248 (1920x1080@144Hz)
			2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA)	39 °C
		Storage
			232GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (SSD)	35 °C
			931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (SATA)	28 °C
		Optical Drives
			No optical disk drives detected
		Audio
			Realtek High Definition Audio
Also, would this be a decent guide to follow?

https://hackintosher.com/guides/high-sierra-install-full-guide/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

“Worth it” is going to come down to what exactly you want to do with macOS and if it’s going to be more enjoyable than whatever you have on there right now. Worth it to try out if you have a few evenings to kill and are curious. I’d recommend getting a spare ssd or hard drive and keeping things very separate to begin with.

Is the overall experience any less than what I’d get from an actual Mac? I’ve always been a fan of OS X over Windows and have an official system that has lesser specs than my build up there since I bought it forever ago.

I’ll probably end up buying an SSD and running OS X on that and then seeing how it’ll work with reading the other drives I have on my PC.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Before I do a deep dive and order this SSD, does anyone have any really good guides they’d recommend?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

After Googling, I found this guide here. Guy has the same motherboard as I do and aside from having a different GPU he has similar specs too.

https://gist.github.com/unsalted/efa85c99d7bf7e00bebe639825362c77

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

oohhboy posted:

on't write to NTFS without a commercial solution.

During your install you should disconnect all other HDD/SSD as a precaution(Windows seems to require it). You don't need to do it physically as you can do it logically through BIOS.

I came back to the thread since I’m
About to do the actually Hackintosh stuff and saw this. If I get a separate SSD for macOS and have Windows installed on another SSD already, should I still disconnect the other drives? In total, it’ll be 3: Windows, 1TB storage HDD, and then a 500GB SSD for macOS.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

oohhboy posted:

Yeah disconnect them. It's mostly good practice/precautionary. One less thing to worry about.

Sounds good. I do wonder what problems might arise in having Windows but not using Boot Camp to install it

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Sounds good. Off to do the drat thing now.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Ok, I am fully on macOS now and everything looks sweet. However, to finish my testing, I need to figure out which card to buy to enable WiFi and bluetooth. My current card is Intel based so it doesn't work at all. Does anyone know of any Wifi-bluetooth card that work with little to no problem?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

This is the card that Tonymac recommends nowadays, several people report complete success.

$37 on fleabay, but it ships from China.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-BCM943602CS-1750Mbps-802-11ac-Wireless-PCi-Express-WiFi-Adapter-BT4-0-/302479497765

This seller doesn't accept payments now for whatever reason. Would this one be the same? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Broadcom-B...Sw9V5bD9Qm#rwid

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So I finally got the part in and all is well. Just one thing though. My display will go to sleep when I need it to, however, when my computer goes to sleep, the wifi upon waking up doesn't work. It's simply stuck as "off" I try to press "Turn Wifi On" and nothing happens. Wifi works perfectly fine on cold booting and otherwise, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why it stops working once the computer wakes up. On Windows, it works fine regardless, no issues at all.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Using UniBeat and MultiBeast and calling it “clean” is almost a stretch.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

How has Mojave support been so far? I don't want to blow up my High Sierra install just quite yet.

Edit: I do need web drivers.

No web drivers available yet for Mojave.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

buglord posted:

Heh, whoops. I was just sorta shotgunning them onto the main drive since nothing seemed to stick. I’m not against nuking and paving the install if I’ve dug myself in too deep. All this is on a separate SSD on my daily driver. Is there a more comprehensive and recent guide? Theres a lot of terms I don't know "kext" "S/L/E" and I feel bad crapping up the thread with 101-level questions.

e: https://hackintosher.com/guides/ Should I just start here and abandon the other website?

kext, in this instance, refers to files you place in your EFI partition or certain folders (next line of text below) to either add features, modify pre-existing ones, or anything similar to that.

S/L/E/ and buy extension, L/E/ stand for /System/Library/Extensions or Library/Extensions. Don't know how other people feel about it, but I don't think anything needs to go in SLE or LE in 2018 on High Sierra unless otherwise stated to do so. I pop everything in my EFI's Other folder.

If you're after the best method, follow this https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/68p1e2/ramblings_of_a_hackintosher_a_sorta_brief_vanilla/

If you're after a quick cut and dry, you're better off doing a search of "[your motherboard] [graphics card] hackintosh" This might be worthwhile to look at. https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/7mroab/success_high_sierra_on_coffee_lake_i58600k_asus/

If you use an NVIDIA graphics card, you should avoid Mojave for the time being - there are no web drivers available for it, so you'd be stuck using what integrated graphics you have.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

buglord posted:

Yeah I’m gonna check out those links tonight when I get home. Thanks! I have a GTX1070 so I think I’m gonna have to wait for a while and use the weird substandard settings I’m locked into. Or maybe see if my i7 8700 iGPU will suffice for a while.

Personally, I'd just rock High Sierra, but yeah, it's all up to you. based off your graphics card, you can/could/should follow that guy's guide up above if you do plan on running High Sierra. Any problems you run into afterwards can be solved by just googling the problem more than likely.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

revmoo posted:

Can I just get a parts list? What's the most trouble-free set of parts?

Are you looking to build the best Hackintosh possible or just enough to have a functional one?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The USB Installer part should be the easiest of it all, honestly. You're just using a Mac to do normal Mac things.

In any case, it looks like people used a RampoageDev guide to install OS X because you need to do something specific for x99 builds. The site is down, but luckily there's Wayback Machine. It doesn't have photos for certain things, but, just from skimming, it looks like it might just be Disk Utility screenshots. https://web.archive.org/web/20150317041333/http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=144

This guy has some tips on what to do if things go a bit haywire anywhere and how he's personally fixed them. https://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/4l2dft/finally_successful_x99_hackintosh/

If this all works for you (if you manage to get the older OSes and install them fine) you should look up what people did with their X99 builds to upgrade to Cap, El Cap etc etc.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Should I start with El Cap? I've just done a clover install on a USB for High Sierra with the createinstallmedia command on my work machine. No idea why it was failing on my machine at home.

It looks like the guide there uses Yosemite and Mavericks. You should start there just because the guide will probably tell you what things need to be configured specifically for those OSes. Once you're good on those, you can just creep back up to High Sierra or Mojave - just do basic searches like "x99 hackintosh upgrade yosemite to el cap" or ball out and see if there's one for Sierra, High Sierra, or Mojave.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

The tonymac guide mentions logging in to test Apple services, which got me wondering. Should I create a separate AppleID for hackintosh devices?

People say that Apple can see if a serial is active on two devices and then ban the associated account from accessing their stuff, but I, like, don't really think they do that.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hopefully someone here can help me out with Clover and why it's doing this fuckery.

I installed CCC and backed up my macOS drive. Near the end, it asks if I want to clone the Recovery partition so I'm thinking "sure" and click yes. It takes a little bit of time, but eventually finishes up seemingly without a hitch. I reboot my computer and get to Clover, but I now only see the back up drive. When I try to boot into macOS from it, it gets to about 80% on the loading bar, and then restarts. But in reality, all I care *a lot* about is getting my original macOS drive to show up again. Not sure what to do or how to fix or what went wrong.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

So I’m thinking about finally upgrading my GPU but at the same time getting one that makes Catalina and Mojave a possibility. Is there anything I should be aware of? I already have the lilu and WhateverGreen kext, but are there things I should be turning off or disabling if I have an Nvidia GPU?

And then there’s the actual goal - updating. Is that as simple as just doing it?

For reference, I’m going from a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB and was looking at a RX 590.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Iron Mac

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

What steps do I have to do to upgrade from plain rear end High Sierra to Catalina if I’m upgrading from an Nvidia card (specifically the 1060) to an RX 5700?

Current parts:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($386.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($50.97 @ PCM)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3 GB GAMING Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 400C ATX Mid Tower Case ($249.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ ModMyMods)
Monitor: Asus MG248Q 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
Custom: Broadcom BCM943602CS
Total: $1205.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-26 10:40 EST-0500

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Decided not to go with it in the end. People seemingly have reports of noise and heat when it comes to reference cards. Looking at the RAW II XT variant now, though.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Well, look at that. Figured a bump is okay since that last post is almost 2 months old.

Anyway, I upgraded to the RX 5700 XT and catapulted all the way up to Catalina from High Sierra. Changing my SMBIOS at first broke wifi and bluetooth and gave me that iCloud error, but I refreshed it and all and now WiFi and iCloud work fine.

However, bluetooth still doesn't. It doesn't so much so that the whole preference pane isn't there. It shows up in the menubar still, but with the squiggly line going through it. Anyone have any ideas? Running off a BCM943602CS which, as far I know, was natively supported in macOS.

e: Looks like we'll enter another 2 month drought. I fixed it.

A guy on another forum had a problem with the kext not working for him, so he made an edited one and put it up for download. I'm reposting it just so I can be assured the download will work later when I need it. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1y9MMMnD51j3IZ43XpJ8JKRZ9jRq_qmrw?usp=sharing

Then, I found out just popping kexts into /Other on the EFI partition isn't enough anymore. Who knew. So I installed it correctly and now I'm back in business.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 7, 2020

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

I get this is probably a dumb question (well I'm posting it) that's almost impossible to answer as it's dealing with future OSX compatibility issues that no one can foresee, but for those of you who have had Hackintoshes for a few years at least, how have you fared with new OSX releases? Have you had to change/update hardware, add new .kext's often etc to keep your Hackintosh running? Have interim combo updates broken your setup on occasion?

I really need a Mac with a semi-decent GPU for some work and I'd like to not keep hooking up my Macbook, which even though it's a 2019 model can't animate Keynote presentations at 60fps on my 4k screen and the fans spin up doing anything stressful to boot. So I'm looking to build a mini ITX rig about half the price of an equivalent Mini but with a dedicated GPU, but don't want to be tinkering too much as a regular practice - is this an unrealistic expectation once it's all setup and running?

I just went through this and the main thing I've realized is that the bulk of the build centers around how your GPU plays with stuff. Years ago, having an Nvidia card was fine. Now, it's entirely a no-go. Getting an AMD card makes things painless; I recently went from High Sierra to Catalina (had a 1060 and upgraded to an 5700 XT) and had to add some boot arguments and other random stuff, but when it came to updating, it was just as normal. I updated my kexts to their newest version and everything was fine.

If anything, I'd recommend looking into wifi and bluetooth cards that run native to macOS. That's the only real "special" component I have in my build. Everything else is the same as building your everyday computer.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 28, 2020

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

At the beginning, there's a bit of tweaking, but as far as daily or even consistent, tweaking, it's almost none existent. Something I've been saying a lot recently when helping people is that getting on macOS is easy - it's the whole figuring out how to fix what either does work or misbehaves that's "hard." But once you figure that stuff out, you're golden.

Just as an example, I have a boot argument solely so Safari lets me play Netflix, Hulu, Amazon videos and make the Apple TV app work. It's usually just weird things like that. But since I have it working now, I never need to revisit it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm really liking Catalina. :kiddo:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Posting this from an i5 Intel Nuc on Catalina, from clueless about everything hackintosh to up and running in a couple of hours. Was going to configure a mini-ITX system which admittedly for basically the same price ($750 cad) would have been far more impressive in CPU/GPU power, but then thought about what I would actually be using it for, my limited space and reports on how easy it was to get a Nuc going as a build so went this route and no regrets. Even going with third-party ram and avoiding Apple's markup there, an equivalent Mac mini with 500gb SSD+16gb was $1600, and doesn't even have hyperthreading like this does. Blows away my 2018 $1700 macbook in performance (which was a dual-core i7).

Only drawbacks were expected - no bluetooth/wifi. I've ordered an Archer wifi USB to fix the latter (frankly I wouldn't bother as I'm right next to my router, but Apple's location services for maps/siri require Wifi, wtf?), but for bluetooth I have the supposed IoGear bluetooth USB dongle already that's reported as compatible, but nothing happens when I plug it in. From what I've read it's plug and play, do I need a kext for it to work with Catalina? I've also seen reports of other Nuc users getting internal bluetooth (but not wifi) to work - anyone know if this is possible with a NUC8i5BEK? Would like to avoid using another usb port if possible.

Does your build have space for an internal card? You'll more than likely be guided towards buying a card that just supports both wifi and bluetooth natively on macOS. I think people go with the Fenvi T919 now. I'm using a Broadcom BCM943602CS I got off eBay when it was around $30. You'll probably have better luck with he Fenvi.

This is the card I have in my unit now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/253265796374

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Also worth noting that following the Vanilla Guide isn't hard at all. It's a fair bit of steps, but honestly, getting into macOS is the easy part - it's figuring out why x doesn't work that's the "hard" part. And using a distro or someone else's config just makes it harder to figure out.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Moogs posted:

I recently sold my Vive, so there was no reason to have my GTX 1070 in my Hackintosh anymore. I replaced it with an RX 580 and upgraded to Catalina (had been stuck on High Sierra because Apple stopped supporting Nvidia cards) and a LOT of my minor issues are fixed -- Airplay audio doesn't randomly pause anymore, Airplay video actually works.

However, I haven't yet been able to reactivate all my USB ports. On High Sierra I had both USBInjectAll.kext and XHCI-200-series-injector.kext installed, but they don't seem to be doing the trick in Catalina. Are kexts related to the version of OSX you have installed, or should those work if I can remember the right patches to apply in Clover? I set my machine up 2+ years ago so I'm a bit foggy on what exactly I did... Build is below, any thoughts are appreciated!

People usually use USBMap now.

This guy has a video, but as with most videos, some things may be a little different now vs when he made it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3V7szXZZTc

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

In dumb people terms, what does switching to ARM mean for Hackintosh people?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

"Years to come," they said. The crowd looked on. They knew it wasn't going to be for years to come.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there even a way to get around this for Hackintoshes? Like, what could possibly be done?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's all still very wild to me that Hackintoshes as a whole are just going to...stop. And relatively soon too.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

So I guess this is a poor time to be asking about making a Hackintosh huh?

I just wanted something that I could run macOS for personal use (nothing super critical) on while also having a windows partition to play games.

I kinda do exactly this. Or rather, using the parts I have, this was my goal, but I stopped playing games on my PC.

One thing I learned is that building a Hackintosh almost entirely just depends on the brand of the parts you get rather that super specialized parts - for now. If you build something with an AMD GPU, an Intel CPU, and an ASUS motherboard, you're probably golden. Obviously double check the parts to make sure you get the right stuff and not one of the few parts that aren't compatible.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My lustful desire is that the M1 chip leads to Apple making a drat near user-upgradeable Mac Pro in a few years as Intel stops being supported. I know it's super unlikely - probably closer to impossible - but man, that's exactly what would make me give up my Hackintosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there both a best external hard drive and then best way of backing up macOS stuff? My problem seems to be that I only really need something that's directly in the middle of how everyone wants things. I'd want a backup that can be a barebones version of macOS - maybe even with just the default apps - that I can use to troubleshoot or fix problems I get on my main.

And then I'd want something separate that can just backup all of my necessary files (like Desktop, Downloads, a few other folders, stuff like that).

Right now, I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make an exact copy of my drive and then booting into it is (probably) just making sure I have an EFI I can boot into, which works fine, but it seems like. drastic action for something that I don't really require necessarily. I imagine, just from thinking about it, my best option would be just getting a small spare internal SSD, setting up its EFI, and then installing macOS to it and never touching it. Then finding some app or subscription that can backup specified folders to an external - but then that goes back to my first question: is there a best hard drive to get for stuff like backing up from macOS?