Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
So I'm thinking about adding a second SSD to my Windows PC and trying to install OS X. I use a Macbook at work and I greatly prefer OS X. However, my wife finds OS X frustrating as she's a lifelong Windows user. Ideally I'd like to be able to set things up so that if you turn the PC on and don't do anything else it boots into Windows, but so that I can boot it into OS X if I choose. How feasible is that? I had a setup like that with Linux using LILO years and years ago, it would boot to Windows by default unless you selected Linux.

I don't expect the hack will be easy, I have a MSI H77MA-G43 motherboard with an i5-3570. There's only a few threads on tonymacx86.com and one of them reports success, so I'm hopeful I can run El Cap. I've got a GeForce 650 in the machine as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

enMTW posted:

Looks like that board works well. Give it a shot. All of that is feasible and relatively easy.

Well, I was going to.

Then I got bitten by the upgrade bug. I bought the following:

i7-4790k
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 mATX board
16GB DDR3-1600.
Another 250GB SSD (for OSX)

So theoretically I should still have an easy time. When the stuff comes in, I'm gonna have a blast.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

enMTW posted:

Yep that'll be a breeze.

Can you use Bootcamp with a Hackintosh? I'd love to be able to mount up my Win10 partition and run it in a VM as well as boot into it. Would simplify things for my wife as well if I'm out of town. If the box boots into MacOSX she could simply doubleclick on the right VM and off she goes.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
So I use Boot Camp Assistant even if the partition is on another drive?

Will the Windows 10 partition be available if I screw up the OS X partition somehow?

I know how to do this sort of thing (or did know) with Windows and Linux (and LILO/Grub) but I want my ducks in a row before I go nuts this time.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I appreciate the guidance. I'm just F5ing the tracking numbers and waiting for the hardware to get here so I can dive in and get to it.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
So I've hit a wall already. After following the instructions in the first few posts to the best of my knowledge I discover upon booting Clover when I attempt to boot the installer verbose I get "this version of mac os x is not supported on this platform". Googling hasn't made this much clearer. Suggestions?

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

enMTW posted:

Your config,plist does not contain a valid SMBios. Use Clover Configurator to set the SMBios.

Jesus, I'm an idiot.

I'll try that. I am having heat related issues with the i7 at the moment. Gonna reseat the cooler in a bit and try again. I went ahead and ordered liquid cooling for it so I can piddle with OCing the system.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Ok, now I get a new error after booting the Clover USB key. I see a message that says "ALXEthernet Error: Unable to initialise adaptor." Followed by

IOBluetoothFamily SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler -- Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport

Immediately following this, my graphics become corrupted and I get the circle with diagonal slash icon in the middle of the screen.

I'm about to go dig around on tonymacx86, but I thought I'd post it here in hopes that enMTW can help. :) I do have Skype, if you're interested.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
So enMTW and I hit an odd bug involving three entirely separate real Macs running El Cap and Clover. When we attempted to install Clover to USB drives on any of these MacBooks (one 2011 i7, one 2013 i7, one a mid 2014 i5) we would get a message that we were attempting to install software that wasn't compatible with our version of OSX. The logs show a message about System Integrity Protection (my memory is a bit fuzzy due to lack of sleep).

Accepting the error and attempting to boot of the resulting Clover USB drive would cause the circle and slash symbol to pop up during boot as the fakeSMC never loads.

I had to install via Unibeast/Multibeast, of which the latest version works fine. That's built on Clover 3320, so perhaps something changed between the two.

I have a question, I read a guide on how to enable remounting NTFS volumes read/write. Is it safe for me to take a Hackintosh into the recovery console and disabling SIP?

edit: I'm willing to bet disabling SIP would allow the Clover installation to work.

Xir fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 29, 2015

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
It is most definitely SIP related. I disabled SIP (which requires changing your config.plist, ignore the Mac advice of booting into the recovery console) anyway since I needed to for osxfuse.

Now I want to figure out how to get my NTFS volumes to show up in finder again. I haven't tried upgrading Clover yet. I want to let the system be stable for a few days before I unbalance it. =)

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Your issue with Clover stinks of being the same issue I detailed up-page. If you disable SIP on the Mac you made the Clover USB on and try it again I suspect it might have worked.

Not necessary since you're up and running at this point. Congrats on getting as far as you have. I don't have any advice about the R9 290, I'm an nVidia user at the moment and new to Hackintosh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Is it possible to just upgrade to Sierra without doing a compete reinstall?