Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I nuked everything on my old setup to start new. Got everything booting up and the web driver running, but I'm having trouble with the audio part.

I ran your terminal stuff, but it's not detecting any output sources, here's what my terminal looks like when I run your thing:

quote:

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: disabled
Filesystem Protections: disabled
Debugging Restrictions: disabled
DTrace Restrictions: disabled
NVRAM Protections: disabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

OK to patch
Confirm Realtek ALC892 (y/n): y
Enable HD4600 HDMI audio (y/n): y
Audio ID: 0 is not supported, continue (y/n): y
Clover Audio ID Injection (y/n): y
Use Audio ID: 0 (y/n): n
Audio IDs:
1 - 3/5/6 port Realtek ALCxxx audio
2 - 3 port (5.1) Realtek ALCxxx audio (n/a 885)
3 - HD3000/HD4000 HDMI and Realtek ALCxxx audio (n/a 885/1150 & 887/888 Legacy)
Select Audio ID: 1

Download ALC892 files ...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 25585 100 25585 0 0 7787 0 0:00:03 0:00:03 --:--:-- 7788
Edit config.plist/Devices/Audio/Inject/1
Set: Entry, ":Devices:Audio:Inject", Does Not Exist
Edit config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts/YES
Download kext patches
100 1404 100 1404 0 0 715 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 715
Install /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/realtekALC.kext
Download config kext and install ...
100 3586 100 3586 0 0 3427 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 3428
Install System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/ALC892 zml files
Fix permissions ...
Kernel cache...
rebuilding //System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel
kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67054 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA12 for kext AppleHDA.kext
kextcache updated critical boot files, requesting launchd reboot

Install finished, restart required.

The monitor is plugged in via Displayport on a GTX 970, I also have a 3.5mm cord running from the back plug to the monitor (only way I got sound on Yosemite before). My board is a Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

enMTW posted:

No output sources in System Preferences - Sound at all? Just installing an HDAEnabler should show you sources, what the audio patcher does is make those sources actually output something.

If you aren't seeing any sources at all, something interesting is broken. I would be interested in talking to you/looking at your configuration to try and diagnose this. Do you have Skype? I'd be available around 6 eastern.

To get audio working over Displayport, you need to install HDMIAudio 1.1 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xenemmfwa1ee7b/HDMIAudio-1.1.dmg?dl=0) after fixing on board audio.

EDIT: Think I figured out what you missed. I would need to talk to you before I could say for sure, though.

EDIT 2: I made a bunch of changes to the on-board-audio portion of the 'Configuring Clover' post. My instructions were confusing/incomplete.

Just signed up for Skype, I can chat on there, but no mic working. awboyd919@gmail.com

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

enMTW posted:

Fixed! Revised the audio section and added instructions on enabling HDMI/DisplayPort audio on dedicated graphics cards.

Thanks again for the help!

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Ouhei posted:

Thanks again for the help!

Edit: working on removing the restrictions for the Nvidia driver, having a weird issue where whenever I restart the computer it seems to switch back to the OS X driver, but my full resolution works (2560x1440). I can switch over to the Nvidia one but I don't see the "NVDAStartupWeb" in my extensions. I'm looking into it on my end.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

enMTW posted:

Yeah, you're doing something wrong. Reinstall the Nvidia driver and follow the steps exactly. /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext

You're right, went to the wrong directory...been looking at this took long.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Everything on the OS X side of things is running perfect now (iMessage and everything), trying to redo my Windows install now using your Boot Camp guide from the last thread:

quote:

How do I use Boot Camp? Getting weird errors
Boot Camp is pretty easy, but it never worked on Chameleon so few have any experience with it. Some quick tips:

Real Macs install windows through legacy (non-EFI) boot. Once you partition, boot your install drive through non-EFI entries in the F12 menu - so, in other words, look for 'PX <drive name> instead of 'UEFI <drive name>'.

If you are installing Windows 7 (as opposed to 8, 8.1, 10) you must disconnect HFS+ formatted (so Mac) hard drives. Long standing Windows 7 issue that Apple works around. There are some guides online on how to install without doing that, but the easy way is to just disconnect the drives/disable them in BIOS

Use Boot Camp if you want to install Windows without it creating the 'System Reserved' partition/to be able to boot your Windows Install as a 'Boot Camp Partition' in Parallels/VMware. Otherwise, you don't really have to - you're using a PC!

I had to modify Boot Camp Assistant's info.plist to allow for it to create a USB installer (used this guide: https://mihail.stoynov.com/2013/04/...ated-boot-camp/). Once I got that I used the assistant to partition. On reboot, I tried looking for a PX version of the USB stick I created but no dice. Booting into Clover gives 3 Windows options (Boot Microsoft EFI mgrboot menu from WININSTALL, Boot Microsoft EFI cdboot menu from WININSTALL, and Boot Windows from WININSTALL). The first 2 don't seem to do anything other than either bring me back to Clover or freeze up, the last says "Booting from Boot Camp Assistant create USB..." and then does nothing. Booting from the WININSTALL disk directly via BIOS gets me to a windows installer, but I can't install because of some issue with the partition formatting (I remember getting that error last time I was trying to get Windows installed after installing OS X.

This is all on the same SSD.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

enMTW posted:

I am not done with the Boot Camp guide, but:

With Boot Camp and a Mac Pro 3,1 SMBios, you must insert a Windows install DVD. You can create your install USB with Rufus in a Windows VM. Insert the DVD to partition, reboot, select your USB drive through Clover, it'll boot. Format the volume 'BOOTCAMP' and install.

Never boot the EFI option. Boot Camp on real Macs emulates BIOS, it does not boot Windows through EFI.

The Windows 7 installer DVD has lots of problems if it sees an HFS+ volume (it'll fail to install with the error you described) but the above steps should get around it. Alternatively, install a version of Windows newer than Windows 7.
I tricked boot camp assistant by mounting my ISO with DAEMON Tools to partition. Rest worked great, thanks again.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

My Hackintosh is now 100% operational and has survived it's first test. Did a system update this morning and everything went perfect, nothing broke. Overall I'd say clover with El Cap is a lot easier to set up vs what I did for Yosemite with the old boot loader, took me a while to finish up all the little bits (mostly around getting my Windows partition up and fully running) but that's because I could only dedicate short bursts of time to it over the last week or so.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I had everything up and running but Messages has stopped working for me. After googling things a bit I've seen it happening to people with real macs but I'm getting suspicious that this is Hackintosh related now.

I am signed in with my iCloud account, Messages starts and signs in with no errors, but all of my contacts come up as text message contacts instead of iMessage ones. I also can't get the pairing code to come up when I try to set up text forwarding (if messages is close, it opens when I prompt to pair from my phone, but the code never displays).

I'm starting to think it's Hackintosh related because I also have a macbook pro from work and Messages/text forwarding works perfectly with it. I also started to try and do an online chat with support because some people had success getting Apple to reset something in their account, which fixed the issue for them, but I got an invalid serial number error. I don't know if that's just how it works for Hackintoshes since our serials are hacked I guess?

Has anyone had this issue and managed to fix it? I've tried the following:

- Signed out of all iCloud devices
- Deleted some .plist stuff that was in an apple support thread
- Created a new user on my Hackintosh and tried signing in there

While the computer itself runs perfect, having this feature is incredibly convenient and I miss it a lot.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

enMTW posted:

When that kind of thing happens, you need to extract real iMessage values from an actual Mac that won't ever sign in to iMessage. iMessageDebug (it's on InsanelyMac) can do that, but the hard part is getting such a Mac. Using a Mac on display in a store is unethical at best, buying one is kinda counterproductive. What I did was buy a $50 broken as gently caress MacBook Pro and pulling its values.

I have a bunch of broken boards like that one. If I get around to it, I'll pull some values for you. How can I contact you to send the values? You don't have plat.
That would be awesome. Would email work? awboyd919 @ gmail.com

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Hey enMTW, my messages worked again for a week or so, but have stopped again, would you be able to pull one of those codes and email me? (awboyd919 at gmail) I can paypal you some $ if you would like.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I assume I should just stay out of Sierra until the final release? Would the upgrade at that point be similar to the point releases are (install, reboot, install web driver, done)?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

enMTW posted:

A wise choice to avoid the betas, yeah.

Update your Clover to the latest version, install, reboot, install web driver, done.

You should get the actual Apple card, sold by OSXWIFI and some other vendors. Using non-Apple cards is a big pain.

The current state of hackintosh is pretty drat great.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I had a perfectly working dual boot system with El Capitan and Windows 10 installed on the same drive with Clover. I could boot either just fine and everything ran perfect. The other day I decided to upgrade to Sierra and as a result I've broken my system pretty good. I hope this is the right section to put this in, I'll do my best to summarize what's happened.

System Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI
Processor: Core i5-4590
Graphics: GTX 970

What's happened:
- Updated Clover
- Updated to Sierra
- Had trouble getting Nvidia web drivers to work, accidentally broke something in my Clover config and couldn't boot into MacOS anymore.
- Dumbly tried to mount my EFI partition in Windows by unhiding it with command line (which didn't help) then setting it back to hidden. (I think this is where I broke things)
- Got a message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" whenever I boot, can no longer get to clover.
- Made a bootable Sierra USB using the install guide which let me get to clover, boot into MacOS and I was able to fix my Clover Config to have working Nvidia Drivers.
- Ran MultiBeast in MacOS to try and fix the EFI partition (used UEFI boot method)

Current Status:
- I can boot with the USB stick, get into MacOS and it runs fine
- I cannot boot Windows at all
- I still get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" message when trying to boot without the USB
- When in MacOS (booted from USB stick), I can mount the EFI partition and make edits in CloverConfig without errors
- My Partition table seems weird, it's listed as FDisk_partition_scheme when the bootable USB is GUID

I have a feeling that the FDisk thing is causing it not to be a bootable drive. Does anyone know how I would go about changing it to GUID?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I just found that thread as well. Looks like I'm making a Linux Emergency disk tonight, should be fun.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Well that didn't work, couldn't repair it with the Linux drive.

I nuked the HDD this morning, got Sierra back up and running in about 15mins. I'm going to wait to install Windows again until I buy a second HDD to put it on. I should have done that to begin with but I'll take this as a chance to fix any of the little stuff I half assed the first time around.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I luckily have a couple real Macs I can use when things go south, I just need to be smarter about messing thing things in the future. Should have made the USB stick to begin with instead of trying to mess with things in Windows. I'll try to keep this stick around instead of using it for other things now.

The only thing I can't seem to get to stick is Clover using my native resolution (2560x1440). I have it set to that in Clover Config but it just doesn't seem to want to do it. It's the least of my worries since everything else works perfectly. I wonder if it has something to do with the way my graphics drivers are setup? I'm using the Nvidia web drivers but I didn't mess with anything in clover config to enable them (under graphics I have inject intel checked for some reason). The computer boots and uses the web drivers by default each time after reboot so I didn't want to mess with it.

Edit: Fixed, my bios was set to CSM always for some reason, disabling that enabled Clover to run 1440p.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Hey Hackintosh thread!

I've had a system running dual MacOS and Windows for the last 3 years relatively perfectly, but it seems my GPU (a GTX 970) is dying and I need to replace it. My first thought was to get a 1070 as it's the replacement for my 970 but prices are such now that I'd rather not spend $450 on a card, so I was looking at a 1060 which will still give me a slight bump over the 970 and is a "reasonable" $300. I've been tempted to go for a RX 580 though as it does get native MacOS support so I could stop messing with the NVIDIA web drivers which could be nice. The only thing is that the RX 580 is about $50 more and seems to be more power hungry than the GTX 1060.

edit: nvm: went with the 1060. Saving $50 and since my Hackintosh is already set up for NVIDIA stuff it'll be an easier upgrade, plus Amazon will deliver one today for free.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 18, 2018