Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

enMTW posted:

Also download FakeSMC. Every motherboard requires FakeSMC to boot. It is the one mandatory kext. Don't forget to do this!
I'm getting "Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /threadfiles/FakeSMC.kext.zip on this server." on that link. Yes, I could just Google FakeSMC.kext.zip, but if the one you have is known good, I'd like to poach a copy please and thank you.

EDIT: Same thing for http://enmtw.com/threadfiles/HDAEnabler1.kext.zip as well.

EDIT2: Thanks!

Sasquatch! fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Clover doesn't want to boot to my Windows 7 drive (it's a separate physical disk) properly: When it boots to it, either i'm stuck at the Windows Error Recovery screen and I have no keyboard/mouse, or Windows sometimes will try to boot, but the screen goes dark and the whole computer just hangs after the Windows 7 logo disappears. BUT...if I select my boot drive from the BIOS Boot Menu before Clover boots, I can select the drive and Windows 7 will boot fine. The selection for the Windows drive that works is just listed as "WDC WD10EZEX-008M2NA0"...there is no UEFI option (although the drive with Clover / OS X that boots fine is "UEFI OS (P4: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB)", so that's apparently UEFI. In other words, booting directly to the Windows drive works fine, but booting to "Boot Windows from Legacy HD1" from within Clover hangs Windows or I have no keyboard/mouse.

So based on this, I'm gathering that Clover is somehow trying to boot my Windows disk wrong? I have Clover Configurator in OS X - I opened config.plist from the EFI partition I started poking around...the only change I've made is under Boot: I changed Legacy from "PBR" to "LegacyBiosDefault", but that doesn't seem to have changed anything. I don't really know what I'm doing, so if anyone has any tips for configuring/checking this, I'd be most appreciative.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3; Clover 2.3k Build 2015-10-06

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

enMTW posted:

Now that's interesting, haven't seen that before. Clover is doing something wrong. I'll look into it.
Thanks! After sleeping on, it might be some BIOS "legacy-vs-UEFI" setting? Like maybe how the BIOS is presenting the disks to Clover? I'll have to play around later tonight and see.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

enMTW posted:

Now that's interesting, haven't seen that before. Clover is doing something wrong. I'll look into it.
I've spent hours trying to isolate what's going on. Here's what I've narrowed down:

In the BIOS, if Boot Mode Selection is set to either "UEFI and Legacy" or "Legacy Only":
- F12 Boot Device Selection screen shows me all UEFI and Legacy drives I have on my computer: a UEFI and legacy entry for my OS X boot drive, my legacy Windows drive, and the legacy DVD drive.
Clover shows four boot choices: "Boot Mac OS X from SSD", "Boot Recovery form Recovery HD", "Boot Windows from Legacy HD1", and "Boot Windows from Legacy HD2". (HD1 is how I can attempt to boot into Windows. I'm assuming that one of the Legacy HD1 / Legacy HD2 drives is the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition?)
- If I choose "Boot Windows from Legacy HD1" in Clover results in Windows hanging or with no keyboard response, requires a hard-reset to reboot.

In the BIOS, if Boot Mode Selection is set to "UEFI Only":
- F12 Boot Device Selection screen only shows me the "UEFI OS Samsung SSD" OS X drive. It doesn't show any of the legacy entries.
- If I choose "Boot Windows from Legacy HD1", I immediately get "A disk read error occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart", no keyboard response, requires a hard-reset to reboot.

Again - If I go into the F12 Boot Device Selection and choose to boot off of my Windows drive, Windows comes up fine. It's only when I boot into my OS X / Clover drive and choose the Windows disk from within Clover that Windows hangs with no keyboard response.

The one thing that jumps out at me as the oddest is that when the BIOS Boot Mode Selection os set to UEFI only, the BIOS only sees the only UEFI drive...but Clover still sees all drives. I thought that Clover detected the drives each time? Or is that not the case? Or is there a chance that Clover has stored a bad/wrong config of my drives?

EDIT:
Here is what I believe to be my EFI/CLOVER/config.plist if I “Mount EFI partition” from within Clover Configurator. I say “believe to be” because there doesn’t appear to be a whole lot to it? Any chance I’m looking at the wrong thing?

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>Debug</key>
			<false/>
			<key>DropOEM_DSM</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Name</key>
			<string>DSDT.aml</string>
			<key>ReuseFFFF</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>DropTables</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>Cpu0Ist</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>DMAR</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Signature</key>
				<string>SSDT</string>
				<key>TableId</key>
				<string>CpuPm</string>
			</dict>
		</array>
		<key>HaltEnabler</key>
		<true/>
		<key>SSDT</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DropOem</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Generate</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>Boot</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>DefaultLoader</key>
		<string>boot.efi</string>
		<key>DefaultVolume</key>
		<string>LastBootedVolume</string>
		<key>Legacy</key>
		<string>PBR</string>
		<key>Secure</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Timeout</key>
		<integer>5</integer>
		<key>XMPDetection</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>Devices</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Audio</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ResetHDA</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
		<key>USB</key>
		<dict>
			<key>AddClockID</key>
			<true/>
			<key>FixOwnership</key>
			<true/>
			<key>Inject</key>
			<true/>
		</dict>
	</dict>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Mouse</key>
		<dict>
			<key>DoubleClick</key>
			<integer>500</integer>
			<key>Enabled</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Mirror</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Speed</key>
			<integer>8</integer>
		</dict>
		<key>Scan</key>
		<true/>
		<key>ScreenResolution</key>
		<string>1280x1024</string>
		<key>Theme</key>
		<string>black_green</string>
	</dict>
	<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>
	<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>
	<dict>
		<key>AppleRTC</key>
		<true/>
		<key>AsusAICPUPM</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Debug</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelCpu</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelHaswellE</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelLapic</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KernelPm</key>
		<false/>
		<key>KextsToPatch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>t1-HD4600_HDMI_Audio-2of2</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				PQwKAAA=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDAController</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				PQwMAAA=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>t1-HD4600_HDMI_Audio-1of2</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				PQsMAAA=
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDAController</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				PQwMAAA=
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>t1-10.11-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC...</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				gxnUEQ==
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<string>AppleHDA</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				AAAAAA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>t1-10.9-10.11-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC892</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				ixnUEQ==
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				kgjsEA==
				</data>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>t1-AppleHDA/Resources/xml&gt;zml</string>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				eG1sLnps
				</data>
				<key>Name</key>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				em1sLnps
				</data>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
	<key>RtVariables</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BooterConfig</key>
		<string>0x28</string>
		<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
		<string>0x67</string>
		<key>MLB</key>
		<string>(removed)</string>
		<key>ROM</key>
		<string>UseMacAddr0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<dict>
		<key>BiosReleaseDate</key>
		<string>02/29/08</string>
		<key>BiosVendor</key>
		<string>Apple Inc.</string>
		<key>BiosVersion</key>
		<string>MP31.88Z.006C.B05.0802291410</string>
		<key>Board-ID</key>
		<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
		<key>BoardManufacturer</key>
		<key>BoardType</key>
		<integer>11</integer>
		<key>ChassisAssetTag</key>
		<string>Pro-Enclosure</string>
		<key>ChassisManufacturer</key>
		<key>ChassisType</key>
		<string>06</string>
		<key>Family</key>
		<string>Mac Pro</string>
		<key>Manufacturer</key>
		<key>ProductName</key>
		<string>MacPro3,1</string>
		<key>SerialNumber</key>
		<string>(removed)</string>
		<key>Trust</key>
		<false/>
		<key>Version</key>
		<string>1.0</string>
	</dict>
	<key>SystemParameters</key>
	<dict>
		<key>InjectKexts</key>
		<string>YES</string>
		<key>InjectSystemID</key>
		<true/>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>
EDIT2: If I need to just nuke the whole thing and start over from the beginning, that's definitely an option. I might've bungled up some step along the way...who knows?

Sasquatch! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 21, 2015

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

enMTW posted:

When your computer reboots, select your Clover drive through the boot menu again. You should now see another listing in Clover, something along the lines of 'Boot Install OS X off of <name of your hard drive>'. Hit space on that listing and boot in verbose. If you don't see any new listings, boot the installer USB drive again. The installer should see the installer on the hard drive and automatically start the installation.

After the initial reboot, I do not have a listing for "Boot Install OS X off of <name of your hard drive>". I have two new listings for "Boot Mac OS X from <name of my hard drive>", and "Boot Recovery from Recovery HD", but nothing about a new install. I've rebooted over and over, and even re-formatted the target drive and re-installed booting off the USB installer 3 times now, and I never see a new listed for "Boot Install OS X". That said, if I choose "Boot Mac OS X from <name of my hard drive>", I'm then taken to the first-time OS X setup and OS X installs fine. Is this my failing to read something right, or does this still sound like a Clover issue?

THAT said though, even after three separate installs, I'm still having the same issue where Windows hangs / no keyboard if I attempt to boot into Windows from Clover. But...hitting F12 to boot directly off of that drive isn't a big deal. I'm curious as hell to know what's going on here, but I'm not "broken" to where I can't use the computer or anything like that, so no big deal...if I figure something out I'll be sure to let ya know.

Now all of THAT said, OS X seems pretty solid! I previously had a Mavericks install on this computer using Unibeast/Multibeast (guh) and OS X would constantly freeze on me, but this seems pretty solid. Are there any good stress tests out there to give this thing a workout (other than the terminal "yes" test)?

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

enMTW posted:

Looking for someone to any/all of these parts of the guide with me. I'd be on Skype/TeamViewer, guiding you through the process. Just need to validate that they work for other people before I post the steps in the thread:

1. Removing Chameleon

2. Fixing USB after sleep/Audio after sleep

3. Installing Windows through Boot Camp
I might be able to do #2 with you on Sunday. PM sent.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

GokieKS posted:

I don't want an all-in-one, the Mac Mini is nowhere near powerful enough, and the Trashcan Pro is a highly compromised choice
Same. I'd love to upgrade my Mini, but the new ones aren't really THAT much better than the years-old model I already own, and I'm definitely not in the market for a Pro.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

Also bear in mind that Apple is now using Metal as the main graphics API in macOS Sierra, deprecating OpenGL.

Metal requires newer GPUs to get the job done.

If you don't have the following GPUs, Sierra may run perceptibly SLOWER than El Capitan did as it will hand off screen drawing to CPU based routines.

nVidia GTX 6xx (preferably 650 and higher)
AMD Radeon HD 7xxx (preferably 7950 and higher)
Intel HD 4000 and higher
Unrelated to Hackintoshing, but where can I read more on this? I have a 2011 Mac Mini with Intel HD 3000 that's still on Yosemite, but if this is true, it sounds like I'd be best off getting it to the latest El Capitan and no further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

enMTW posted:

I am still working on a successor to this thread. Lots has changed, and I hope to get said successor posted this week. In the mean time, the Tony guide is surprisingly not terrible anymore.
Look forward to it. It might be time to upgrade, so perfect timing!

EDIT: I assume you're saying the Tony guide using Clover versus UniBeast?

Sasquatch! fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 3, 2017