Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks a ton for this thread enMTW. Two questions:

If I DO have both a Haswell Refresh processor and an AMD GPU, is it safe to say that I probably SHOULD select the 5k iMac as the model? The MacPro3,1 is pretty old. Surely CPU power management and such doesn't work the same?

Second, is there anything special about the black_green theme? Or just an arbitrary choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
To provide another datapoint: On my GA-H81M-H, USB3 worked perfectly without needing to do anything. It works after sleep too. 10.11.1.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
My system is currently fully functional with an AMD card, and I'm going to swap it out for an Nvidia (Maxwell) one. Can/should I install the web drivers now, before doing the actual swap? Would that allow me to skip the boot arguments juggle? Anything else I should keep in mind when changing the GPU on a hackintosh?

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
My 960 is working great, except its fans aren't running at 0 rpm (i.e. off) when the card is cool. It's supposed to, and it does under Windows.

It's still quiet enough but I'd like to get silent-at-idle working if possible. Any way to fix this/manually control the fan curve? It's specifically an MSI 960 4GD5T OC.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks- that thoroughly answers my question and yeah I think I'm going to leave it alone. As an update, today the ambient temp was lower (room had better ventilation) and the fans did spin down. So it's still silent-when-cool, it just has a more conservative definition of "cool" than under Windows. I'll try improving case airflow to keep it below the threshold more.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Is there any way to use full-disk encryption (e.g FileVault 2) yet? Is it ever likely to happen?

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

oohhboy posted:

FYI, VGA was removed back in Mavericks(?) so without the converter you would not be able to use VGA even if you had the ports.
I can anecdotally state otherwise- the VGA port on my AMD 5770 worked fine under El Cap. Is it only Nvidia cards that had VGA dropped?

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
I have a not-perfectly-stable-but-good-enough ElCap setup going. Is it worth updating to Sierra now, or would I be better advised to stick with what works until I'm pushed?

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Barring some miracle out of left field, there will most likely never be any Pascal / 10x0 Mac web drivers.
Do we know
a) Why Nvidia decided to continue updating their existing 9xx web driver for new versions of macOS, but not to update it to support newer hardware
and
b) Whether the same is likely to be true for all future NV hardware?

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Still on ElCap. Can I just:
* Upgrade Clover (my version is ancient)
* Change from MacPro3,1 to iMac14,something (do I need to be careful here since I have an NV GPU?)
* Make sure all my kexts are also in Clover's 10.12 dir
* Update from the app store
and expect it to work? I would usually do a fresh install but I would really prefer to keep my full environment setup going if possible.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Upgraded, and updated some kexts too. It mostly works now except it can't shut down or reboot- the UI partially zooms out, the shutdown loading spinner appears as it's supposed to, but then it just stays like that forever. I have to hit the hardware reset button.

Rebooting from single-user mode works fine. It happens regardless of the Nvidia driver status. Any ideas?

E: It works in safe mode too.
E2: Fixed by disabling various LaunchAgents/LaunchDaemons I didn't need. Unfortunately I don't have the patience to bisect and figure out the exact culprit. It's still slow to change from "finished shutting down" to "actual ACPI shutdown/reset", but it's maybe 15-20s. Entirely tolerable.

Seven Round Things fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

eames posted:

So since Hackintosh GPU overclocking requires BIOS modifications and that's not possible with Pascal, there won't be a way to overclock a 1000-series GPU under macOS?
In theory, someone could reverse engineer whichever hardware interface is used by Windows soft overclock tools and write a macOS equivalent. In practice, it's unfortunately very unlikely.