Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there anything in particular that one should be looking for when selecting a motherboard for a hackintosh beyond 'get a gigabyte board'? Gigabyte's current mini itx offerings seem to be, well, a bit poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Have tried a few times to figure this out on my own, but as soon as I wade in I get overwhelmed. Help, thread.

I've wanted to do a Hackintosh build for a while (running an early 2011 MBP at the moment), but the last time I built a computer was in high school, and I'm finding it hard to figure out what sort of Gigabyte motherboard I want. I'd like something with more power to make photo editing in PS/Lightroom quicker, as well as try getting into video editing and some light gaming (both pretty dire on current rig). Budget is pretty central to my concerns, I'm not looking to play the latest games at max settings, and I'm also I'm in Australia, if that matters.

Motherboard stumps me though, not sure what kind/type of expansion slots I'm looking for or should keep in mind for future upgrades. I know I'll need to add a video card (something midrange), would I also need to buy a wifi card for compatibility like the Lifehacker guide says? I'd also like the ability to add an extra 20" monitor later, could I plug that in to onboard and the 30" Cinema Display into the video card? Anything else I should be thinking of?

You'll probably need to add a separate card if you want wifi - while quite a few gigabyte motherboards come with wifi buit in I've never seen it supported by OSX. Since you're also adding an external graphics card, you'll need a motherboard with a PCI-Express x16 slot for the graphics and an x1 (I believe) for the add-in card. Seems like you're best off looking for a Micro-ATX board, which'll have both of those and a couple to spare, and isn't as pointlessly large as the full ATX boards.

Your processor choice obviously factors in to what motherboard you're going to get; it'll probably be between the older Haswell or newer Skylake chips - they're practically identical performance wise so you're probably better off going for Haswell where you're more likely to get a bargain and the hackintosh support is more mature. This means you're likely looking at a motherboard with the H97 or Z97 chipsets - the main difference between the two is that Z97 supports overclocking while H97 doesn't. You probably don't need a Z97 motherboard but if you see one in your price range might as well get it since overclocking is basically free performance.

That all means you're looking at something like this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4971

or this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4968#ov

paired with a core i5, like the 4690k or 4690.

Also even the lowest end graphics cards will have multiple outputs and support multiple monitors, so you should be ok on that front.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

enMTW posted:

When that kind of thing happens, you need to extract real iMessage values from an actual Mac that won't ever sign in to iMessage. iMessageDebug (it's on InsanelyMac) can do that, but the hard part is getting such a Mac. Using a Mac on display in a store is unethical at best, buying one is kinda counterproductive. What I did was buy a $50 broken as gently caress MacBook Pro and pull its values.

How do you go about pulling the values? Might try this sometime.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there any way to change the timezone from inside the OSX installer? I've got the install USB booting and it works up until where it seems like it should reboot into the second stage of the installer that runs off the hard drive, but it throws an error rather than restarting, about the installer being corrupt or tampered. Googling says this is most likely because of improperly set time, and while my BIOS time is correct the installer seems to be operating in PST (rather than GMT) for some reason. I've redownloaded elcap and remade the install usb twice so I don't think it's actually corrupt.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Tried this before posting and it still throws an error. I guess I'll try it again but unplug it from the internet, see if that helps.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I fixed my issue with the installer erroring out before completing by switching out my networking kext - the realtek 8111 link in the op has two options, 1.2 and 2.0. I used 2.0 initially but after switched it to 1.2 and the installer completed just fine.

also had to manually point the motherboard's UEFI to the clover bootloader on the system drive following this guide. only tweak I needed to enable to get it booting was the asus power management thing in clover configurator. posting this here to hopefully save some other unfortunate asrock z77 extreme3 owner some time

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 10, 2016

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Xarn posted:

I am going to be teaching a class and about 90% of students usually bring their own laptop, some of them a Mac.

Because I don't just want to go "welp, you are on your own", is there a tested way to get kinda working virtual OSX? I don't care about audio, fingerprint reader, basically nothing except the bare minimum of control devices controlling, screen screening and SW kinda working.

vmware will work with OSX if you install some unlocker thing of dubious origin, though you'll still need a real mac to create the install medium. at that point you're better off just using said borrowed mac to make some kind of screenshotted tutorial and/or getting some amount of familiarity with how to set up your poo poo on OSX in case you need to field any questions

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Is there anything I'm missing regarding getting SMS relay and handoff working? I have a tp-link wifi card and an iogear USB bluetooth adapter, both of which are natively supported by OSX. I can make and receive phone calls with no issues and somehow even iMessage works, but SMS relay and handoff don't.

e: oop, had to enable sms in my iPhone settings. the handoff fix seems to be a lot more fiddly so I'll leave it for now. it's not that useful anyway.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 20, 2016

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I updated to High Sierra and it works fine except my boots are excessively long, like 5-6 mins at the Apple logo. Anyone know why?

Also, does the new "Filevault Preboot" option mean we can finally use FDE?

there is no support for full disk encryption on apfs

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Moogs posted:

Any issues with this setup? As you may have seen above, I'm planning to dual boot OSX and Windows and use a NAS for storage. I don't know anything about liquid coolers (last time around they weren't a thing) but Tom's Hardware recommended the Frostflow. Primary use will be developing (OSX) and loving off with VR (Windows). Would love a sanity check.

you don't need liquid cooling even in a mini itx case where space is at a premium. one of the small noctua coolers or something similar will do you just fine, even if you want to overclock a bit. liquid cooling is always going to be noisier than air cooling, and you're always going to get a bit of pump noise and vibration which can be quite noticeable especially if you're going to have the computer on your desk. basically if you're looking for a mac-esque experience go for air cooling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

eightysixed posted:

Ironically, the first major foray into the field of liquid-cooled personal computers for general use were the high-end versions of Apple's Power Mac G5. :v:

it also leaked to gently caress iirc. rip that gloriously over-engineered chassis tho