Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

If you're using a 4k monitor, the nvidia web driver appears to be a necessity regardless of whether you're using a card that would otherwise require it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

enMTW posted:

Does anyone have have Chameleon installed and wants to remove it? I need someone to test my process. I will need you on Skype, you to have made the Clover USB drives and you to have Windows 7 (or newer) installation media on hand.

I will stick around with you until you get Clover booting. Obviously backup your machine first, but I won't break your install. I'm a pro.
Didn't you and I try this process - resizing the primary partition twice to overwrite Chameleon, right?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anything special we on Clover should do to update to 10.11.1?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Asking because enMTW said something to the effect of, "use this specific version of Clover and no others," to me.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks, so I shouldn't update the bootloader?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Any idea why iMessage would work inconsistently? Most of the time it delivers messages fine but sometimes it'll just start trying to send as SMS and then report "Not Delivered." Ethernet is en0. (Also, deleting my network kexts caused OS X to stop booting...)

e: Could it have anything to do with my using a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 with the locale issue?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 24, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Xir posted:

So enMTW and I hit an odd bug involving three entirely separate real Macs running El Cap and Clover. When we attempted to install Clover to USB drives on any of these MacBooks (one 2011 i7, one 2013 i7, one a mid 2014 i5) we would get a message that we were attempting to install software that wasn't compatible with our version of OSX. The logs show a message about System Integrity Protection (my memory is a bit fuzzy due to lack of sleep).

Accepting the error and attempting to boot of the resulting Clover USB drive would cause the circle and slash symbol to pop up during boot as the fakeSMC never loads.

I had to install via Unibeast/Multibeast, of which the latest version works fine. That's built on Clover 3320, so perhaps something changed between the two.

I have a question, I read a guide on how to enable remounting NTFS volumes read/write. Is it safe for me to take a Hackintosh into the recovery console and disabling SIP?

edit: I'm willing to bet disabling SIP would allow the Clover installation to work.
This is a long shot, but is your time/date set correctly? Try "date" in terminal.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I did some Googling and wanted to re-check: a TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 is still the go-to for inexpensive plug-and-play wifi, right?
Honestly I have been having issues with getting it to work properly. It seems it doesn't come with a locale, which I think might be causing my problems with imessage, though I also have a weird motherboard so who knows.

What I would really like to know is if the BCM94360CD PCI adapters still work. I'm seeing reports that they don't anymore.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

Is there any way to change the timezone from inside the OSX installer? I've got the install USB booting and it works up until where it seems like it should reboot into the second stage of the installer that runs off the hard drive, but it throws an error rather than restarting, about the installer being corrupt or tampered. Googling says this is most likely because of improperly set time, and while my BIOS time is correct the installer seems to be operating in PST (rather than GMT) for some reason. I've redownloaded elcap and remade the install usb twice so I don't think it's actually corrupt.
Try using "date" in the Terminal in the installer.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FYI: installers downloaded before 2/14 don't work anymore. Not sure if this affects Hackintosh as well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I was able to upgrade to Sierra in-place by first mounting EFI with Clover Configurator and switching my system definitions from MacPro3,1 to iMac14,2. I have a weird motherboard so its been a long time since a hackintosh install went so smoothly like that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

revmoo posted:

No kidding. Apple loving loooooves cables. Their vision of the future is that all your electronic devices resemble an octopus.
No, their vision of the future is no wires, they are trying to force that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

gently caress nvidia for not updating the web driver with Pascal support.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

Considering that Apple has done nothing to dispel rumors of ARM macOS (maybe it's still general-purpose but don't hold your breath), I doubt there's room for nVidia to come back into it.
Apple almost never does anything to dispel rumors, so this shouldn't be taken as confirmation.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sierra won't switch to the nVidia web driver, when I try to switch to it in the app it restarts correctly but still shows "OS X Default Graphics Driver" as enabled. I have two 670 GTX.

Also, what system definitions should I be using? I have a weird motherboard (GA-Z77X-D3H) and sleep and shutdown are not working correctly since I had to switch to iMac14,2 from MacPro3,1 since Sierra will no longer boot with the latter. Shutdown just restarts the computer, I have to manually turn it off.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I recall there being some quote from nvidia along the lines of "when we update the driver to the series that supports Pascal, it will support Pascal."

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That's weird, I didn't run into any issues at all with the upgrade other than needing to reinstall AppleHDA.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That's what I did and it worked fine, would recommend a full CCC backup first though. iMac 14,2 is the standard recommendation.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise I was in the Hackintosh thread - the above was done on a MacBook Pro. High Sierra checks the firmware on a weekly basis so I'd hold off putting it on a Hackintosh for now.
It's my understanding that this doesn't apply to Hackintoshes somehow.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I updated to High Sierra and it works fine except my boots are excessively long, like 5-6 mins at the Apple logo. Anyone know why?

Also, does the new "Filevault Preboot" option mean we can finally use FDE?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

For some reason my Hackintosh is running quite sluggishly relative to my Mid-2015 MBP. This shouldn't happen as I'm working with an i7-7770k and a 1080ti. Is there some boot option I ought to have ticked or unticked that could be causing this?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Hey is it in that cheese grater Mac case? If so I want to see some pics and words about the building process
No its still sitting in my closet at home with the kit and the dremel i bought for it bc im a lazy rear end in a top hat

redeyes posted:

hard drive maybe?
Don't think so, running Windows off the same SSD and it works fine. Could have something to do with using 2 monitors maybe?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm using a Magic Trackpad 2. Nothing stands out in Activity Monitor.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So I need to wait for nvidia to update the web driver before I upgrade to Mojave on a 1080ti, correct?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there any scuttlebutt about the webdriver? I don't mind using High Sierra, but it would be nice to upgrade.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

So the web driver is never coming right?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there any way to deal with the USB port limit other than through a custom SSDT? Having to follow 25 pages of poorly written instructions just to get my wifi working is the stage at which I’m considering dropping the hackintosh thing altogether. And I guess you’re not supposed to use USBInjectAll for this, because reasons?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think it would be less frustrating if it were explained in a way that actually made sense. It’s amazing how there’s both so much documentation and also how they are the most poorly written docs I’ve ever seen.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Welsper posted:

I followed this guide. I got to skip renaming the controller so knocked it out pretty quick.
Thanks, this one I might actually be able to follow...on the other hand, the web drivers are nowhere in sight, so I'm not sure it's worth it anyway. :sigh:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Maximum Leader posted:

Get hackintool instead, it comes with built in instructions and generates a kext to inject when done. Just hit the info button in the usb section of the app

quote:

The selected content is currently unavailable

The content you selected can’t be displayed at this time. Try again later.

You may be experiencing one of the following issues:

The server may be unreachable.

Your school, business, or Internet service provider (ISP) may be experiencing an outage.

The content may not exist.
:shrug: maybe it's something I have set in Little Snitch?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

pram posted:

also yes just use hackintool, its easy. follow the instructions, and use clover configurator. you need to do the EC stuff anyway to upgrade to catalina
I have a 1080ti so I’ll have to stick with High Sierra till Apple stops being lovely and approves the web driver.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Have you considered using an eGPU?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mojave is this decade's 10.6.8.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the thread OP refers to tonymac as "tonycrap" and it's cheesy but he's right.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

In case someone ITT is interested, I'm selling an osxwifi PCI-E card for native wifi and bluetooth.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

otter posted:

Additionally, when I look into the future I see the merger of iOS and MacOS
I don't know why you say this, apple is heavily resistant to combining the two as a fundamental principle.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

they *could* make a socket based mac pro with apple silicon, but that would be extremely un-apple of them.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

they're also selling an intel mac pro right now and just upgraded it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I expect them to offer an ARM mac pro soon, and upgrade the existing intel mac pro for a couple more years.