Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Question Mark Mound posted:

Ah well, I'll give it a go anyway and see how it runs. Alternatively I could see if it's simple enough to make a bootable USB drive out of an old stick I can find in a drawer.

What motherboard do you have?

A 256gb SSD is a measly $60 these days, just saying. 128 is even cheaper. You can install Tuxera NTFS once you have the OS installed and use your main drive for actual file storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Looking for someone to any/all of these parts of the guide with me. I'd be on Skype/TeamViewer, guiding you through the process. Just need to validate that they work for other people before I post the steps in the thread:

1. Removing Chameleon

2. Fixing USB after sleep/Audio after sleep

3. Installing Windows through Boot Camp

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

I'd love to do it but I'm not available until Monday; if you want you can guide my friend through the process, but he has 0% knowledge of how it works.

I can do it on Monday!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

It's also that x99 hell build FYI.

Extra fun. I'm up for it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Question Mark Mound posted:

ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150.

SSDs cost a little more than that in the UK (about $60 for the 128), but it's really more that I just wanna screw around in OSX and those apps and I'm pretty broke after just upgrading my PC. Just got the VM setup but I'll need to apply some kind of fix to get iCloud working, I'll have a look at that over the weekend.

That motherboard isn't covered by the guide. It is possible to get OS X running on it, though. Consult this guide while stepping through mine in the OP http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302041-guide-asrock-h97-pro4-yosemite-with-clover-uefi-installation/

Ah, ok.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Any idea why iMessage would work inconsistently? Most of the time it delivers messages fine but sometimes it'll just start trying to send as SMS and then report "Not Delivered." Ethernet is en0. (Also, deleting my network kexts caused OS X to stop booting...)

e: Could it have anything to do with my using a TP-Link TL-WDN4800 with the locale issue?

That's very odd. Try using this script (https://gist.github.com/theracermaster/b6a9db46b14061d4c995) to generate a new MLB value. Put it in your Clover config and give it a go. Backup your old value first.

Maybe. Dunno.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

From the last thread; is this still the card to buy if you want Continuity etc.?
http://world.taobao.com/item/38195333521.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a230r.1.0.0.M8souu&mt=&spm=a230r.1.0.0.M8souu

Mainly I just want to be able to SMS from my Mac.

That's a great one. Amazon has one at a cheaper price, but the engineering on that card is top notch.

But, as Kitten says, you do not need WiFi/BT for SMS. It just uses iCloud.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

alo posted:

I finally dumped my ATI 6850 and got a nvidia GTX 950 (apparently there's a problem with wake from sleep with ATI cards on hackintoshes, it'll just go to a black screen).

After the swap, everything is perfect (sleep and wake).

Thanks again for this thread!

Yep, that's an issue with El Cap. No one is quite sure what causes it, but it's being looked into.

Np!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

I waited for you enMTW... :c

I added you on Skype, never got a message? :(

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Beeftweeter posted:

I updated my Hackintosh today and I'm not getting any video from my GTX 970 with the Nvidia driver – the Apple driver works, but everything looks hosed up and it takes forever for it to refresh whatever is on the screen. I don't really know why this happened or what caused it since the only things that were installed were a security update (2015-004) and the command-line Xcode tools. After this happened, the Nvidia web driver updater popped up to tell me about a new version, so I installed it and I'm still getting nothing.

I tried replacing the AppleGraphicsControl kext even though it didn't seem to be updated, and out of desperation I even generated a MacPro3,1 SMBIOS config; I usually use a cloned MacPro6,1 SMBIOS and haven't had any problems with it up until now. It still boots and is reachable over the network, so I've been loving around with it using VNC, but I can't figure out what the gently caress went wrong. Anyone know what's going on with this? It's on 10.10.5 14F1021.

That is very weird. Unsure. It doesn't work with MacPro3,1?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

Trying to get SMS Relay to work; I signed out of iMessage and now I can't get back into it.

28/10/2015 9:48:07.920 PM Messages[443]: [Warning] (IMAccount: 0x7fd4f8ea9ab0 [ID: 3336A27D-218A-413C-8CCC-9076AAF5B034 Service: IMService[iMessage] Login: E:coxy@XXX Active: NO LoginStatus: Connected]) - isActive: NO - isOperational: NO - registration status: 18446744073709551615
28/10/2015 9:48:15.872 PM imagent[292]: [Warning] IMDAccountController: Could not find an account for service: (null)
28/10/2015 9:48:15.872 PM Messages[443]: [Warning] (IMAccount: 0x7fd4f8ea9ab0 [ID: 3336A27D-218A-413C-8CCC-9076AAF5B034 Service: IMService[iMessage] Login: E:coxy@XXX Active: YES LoginStatus: Connected]) - isActive: YES - isOperational: NO - registration status: 18446744073709551615
28/10/2015 9:48:26.019 PM identityservicesd[253]: [Warning] Registration failed for Registration info (0x7ff1b0734860): [Registered: NO] [Type: AppleID] [Device Name: blackrockspire] [Service Type: iMessage] [Env: (null)] [Main ID: coxy@XXX] [Phone Number: coxy@XXX] [AppleID: coxy@XXX] [UserID: E:coxy@XXX] [C2K: YES] [Push Token: <888ef06d dc0bbe7a a6d367e5 4c15becb beb6dc55 37c9c5b8 b8fd87af a97eab57>] [Region ID: R:AU] [Base Number: +610000000000] [URIs: ()] [Candidates: (+61YYYYYYYYY, coxy@XXX)] [Auth Cert: 0x7ff1b0733f30] [Reg Cert: 0x0] [Profile ID: D:52513373] [Auth User ID: D:52513373] [Heartbeat Date: (null)] (Error: 9)

Any ideas? :smith:

Describe the error you see on screen. When you try to sign in to iMessage, does it sit there attempting to sign in forever?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

Sorry, that would have been a good idea.

I get the spinner for about 20 seconds, then an error dialog:

Could not sign in to iMessage.
An error occurred during activation. Try again.

The login window has a red message saying:

An error occurred during authentication.

For background, I do have a credit card and about $10 balance on my iTunes account, iCloud works OK on my Mac, FaceTime does not work on my Mac, iMessage/FaceTime works on my iPhone.

For some reason, your MLB value is blacklisted. Generate a new serial in Clover Configurator, reboot, run this script, set the resulting output as the MLB value, reboot and try again.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

stevewm posted:

Hmm... Usually I can figure this out, but I am stuck on this one.

I have a GTX 960 and thus require the Nvidia WebDriver.

After the upgrade, I booted with nv_disable=1, installed the correct WebDriver. and then attempted to boot with nvda_drv=1 as usual. However my monitor just goes to sleep, like its not loading the driver.

Power cycle the monitor. Sometimes you have to do that. Are you using the latest web driver?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

New WebDriver just released. Has some bug fixes. http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.03f02/WebDriver-346.03.03f02.pkg

Pixelmator and Aperture work now, among others.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 29, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

stevewm posted:

Not home right now to see the exact version number, but when I booted into 10.11 for the first time, the Nvidia pref pane offered to automatically download and install the newest one for El Cap. I assumed that would be the correct one.

Are you on 10.11.1? The latest WebDriver only supports 10.11.1, not 10.11.0. You can remove the version check (see OP) to get around that, if you need 10.11.0 for whatever reason.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

stevewm posted:

Just wanted to add I fixed my problem. It turned out to be my SMBIOS setting which was set to iMac15,1. Somehow I had managed to open a very old backup copy of my Clover config.plist with the wrong SMBIOS setting and had saved it to /EFI/Clover overwriting my correct config.

Oops! Glad you figured it out.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I have a universal audio after-sleep fix! Will write that up this weekend. Very easy fix to apply. Fixes ALC8XX-1150. Works on 10.10 and 10.11.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

It turned out that my Clover was fine, which is why my NVRAM seemed to be working except for ROM value.

The problem was an oddity in Clover, where it will look for a NVRAM.plist file on all volumes, even non-boot ones.

Inside
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/misc/debug.log

1:694 0:025 Loading nvram.plist from Vol 'Macintosh SSD' - loaded, size=795
1:698 0:004 PutNvramPlistToRtVars ...

(Macintosh SSD is my System 10.9 disk.)

I junked that nvram.plist file and rebooted.
1:635 0:024 PutNvramPlistToRtVars: nvram.plist not found

Now my ROM is being populated and iMessage works!

I thought that NVRAM.plist thing was removed months ago! Very odd. Glad you fixed it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

admiraldennis posted:

I have a well-working 10.10.2 install w/ Chameleon, except for one thing:

“Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact support for assistance.”

I’m using an Intel Ethernet PCIe card because I've had issues with my onboard ethernet (GA-X58A-UD3R) in the past and this Intel card works great.

I tried removing NetworkInterfaces.plist and re-adding my device but no dice :(

In what app? iMessage or App Store?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

admiraldennis posted:

App Store

Haven't tried iMessage yet - heard it can lock you out if you try to use it and aren't set up right. Also not as important to me as App Store!

Does your Network Adapter appear as En0? You can check that in Network Utility.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

I've always been a Mac user; for me Hackintosh is merely because Apple won't sell me the Mac I want to buy.

Bingo. Same here.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

admiraldennis posted:

Yepppers! :saddowns:

I think maybe it's not being seen as "built-in" based on the en0 within the default name? (I do have EthernetBuiltIn set to "yes")

It's hard to offer support as I haven't run Chameleon in many years. Any particular reason you can't boot Clover off USB? :(

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

My nice guide to fixing audio after sleep isn't ready yet (I don't have the time to finish it at the moment) but I didn't want to leave anyone waiting. So here you go:

For ALC XXX excluding ALC1150: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-eapd-codec-commander/downloads/RehabMan-CodecCommander-2015-0522.zip

Put that kext in the Clover/kexts folders and reboot. Done

For ALC 1150: http://enmtw.com/CodecCommander.kext.zip

Same deal.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Working on the remaining sections of the OP tonight. Anyone have any priorities? Guides for fixing X, etc.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

cbirdsong posted:

Is it easiest to use the ROM/MLB/whatever values from an actual Mac to make iMessage work? Would that Mac still be able to use iMessage, etc. if I did that?

Yes, no.

iMessage should work OOTB with Clover.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 5, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

admiraldennis posted:

I haven't been able to get it to work :(

I figured maybe my my stuff is too old. It’s a X58 Nehalem w/ Bloomfield CPU thing: GA-X58A-UD3R w/ i7-950. Graphics card is an R9-280X

It just seems to do this:

(the USB stick shows activity, it shows black for a while, then this appears)

I’d love to get as much use out of this as possible (and the CPU speed is fine for my uses), but maybe it’s finally time to look into a Haswell mobo/cpu bundle at MicroCenter…

You need to install in Legacy Boot mode, not the EFI options in the installer. Select 'Install boot0af in MBR' in the installer app, under Bootloader.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

cbirdsong posted:

All set up, almost! enMTW, your guides are pretty rad. Any ETA on the iMessage section?

Might get that done tonight. Is iMessage not working for you? What's happening when you try to sign in?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

cbirdsong posted:

It signs in, but I can't send any iMessages. Continuity phone calls work, and I think it can send SMSes, but I'd have to check to be sure.

Ok. This post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3747066&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post451863087 may be helpful.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

cbirdsong posted:

No dice. Strangely, the iMessages I sent earlier came in at some point. Replying to those people successfully sends an iMessage, but starting a new conversation defaults to a text message, which fails to send.

Try making a new user account in OS X. Does that work? The issues you are describing don't seem like iMessage issues.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Skylake is now working! https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/appleapic-kext-binary-patch-for-skylake/.

Going to setup a test rig and see what changes I need to make to the guide for Skylake. Looks like just that Clover patch (and only until Gigabyte updates their BIOS) and an edit to the audio fix.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Making some tweaks to the OP. Cleaning it up, making it easier to maintain, fixing typos. Anyone have any hackintosh issues they want support on? I got.....nothing to do.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 7, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Hed posted:

I appreciate the guide. I think just a lot of us are waiting for a good Skylake build to come out so we can upgrade.

Skylake is still a bit too hacky to recommend yet, but it's not far off. Soon!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

~Coxy posted:

On another computer I have, after installing El Cap and booting into it, I get a black screen with a SBOD.
I'm thinking this is the post-installation finalisation, but I've left it for hours and nothing happens except the SBOD.

Any ideas for a way to fix this?

That's hard to diagnose. Does it happen after reinstalling? Something could have gone wrong during installation.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

mryellowduck posted:

Is it possible to get OS X running in a VM (e.g. Workstation Pro on Windows)?

I know the reverse is possible with having Windows in a VM on OS X. I need a unix system for web development, but can't install hackintosh standalone on my system because of my employer's rules.

Not well. Graphics acceleration won't work, which is a big deal. Everything will be laggy.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Seven Round Things posted:

Thanks a ton for this thread enMTW. Two questions:

If I DO have both a Haswell Refresh processor and an AMD GPU, is it safe to say that I probably SHOULD select the 5k iMac as the model? The MacPro3,1 is pretty old. Surely CPU power management and such doesn't work the same?

Second, is there anything special about the black_green theme? Or just an arbitrary choice?

Always always always pick MacPro3,1. iMacs use mobile GPUs, it is likely you will experience some problems if you use its SMBios. CPU Power Management works perfectly with MacPro3,1.

Nothing special. It is the least hideous one/not the default, which makes it easy for me to see if the config.plist is being loaded when someone posts in reply here.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Some updates:

working a bit on the thread now
Skylake is improving, is almost recommendable now
El Cap USB 3 issues are (for most people) gone in 10.11.2. If you have Intel USB, you should be good once 10.11.2 comes out. The 'how to fix' guide in OP won't break anything for you, either. So you can wait or you can fix it now.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 6, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Seven Round Things posted:

To provide another datapoint: On my GA-H81M-H, USB3 worked perfectly without needing to do anything. It works after sleep too. 10.11.1.

10.11.1 also made USB changes. Lots of Gigabyte boards worked OOTB with it. 10.11.2 seems to cover the remanning boards. :)

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 9, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

Meh, I must have a weird board. I decided to live dangerously and install the 10.11.2 public beta. It's still not seeing my USB 3.0 external hard disk.

edit: when plugged straight into a USB 3 port, it doesn't see it at all. I've also got a USB 3.0 hub plugged in; if I plug into the hub it sees it as 2.0.

Does your board use Intel USB?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

P.N.T.M. posted:

Heads up, all of the links in the OP seem to be broken (including the Clover download link).

Edit: and the links for everything :smith:

poo poo. I'll fix that tonight.

kitten smoothie posted:

As far as I know, yes. It's a Z87 chipset.

What's the model number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

10.11.2 is out. Here's a beta WebDriver, final will be out shortly: http://us.download.nvidia.com/YXVa4s9EgmmsI1dfWUBwBitc4iOJ9Icg/WebDriver-346.03.04b02.pkg